Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,446 members, 7,801,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:30 AM

Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez (1517 Views)

I Will Never Bite Anyone Again— Suarez / Suarez Loses Sponsor Because Of Bite / Defoe Father Tragically Passes Away (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez by luvola(m): 1:19pm On Jun 29, 2014
FA will not punish Defoe 'bite'
The Football Association will take
no action against Tottenham striker
Jermain Defoe over the biting
incident in Sunday's game with
West Ham.
Defoe seemed to bite the arm of
Javier Mascherano after he was
fouled by the midfielder, with both
players booked by referee Steve
Bennett.
An FA spokesman said: "We are
unable to take any action because
the referee has already dealt with
the incident.
"Fifa regulations prevent us from taking
retrospective action."
Interview: Jermain Defoe's agent Sky
Andrew
Manchester City defender Ben Thatcher was
punished by the FA after the event earlier this
season when his forearm smash left
Portsmouth midfielder Pedro Mendes in
hospital.
However, that incident was deemed as
exceptional because Mendes suffered serious
injury but in most cases, the FA's hands are
tied because of Fifa's stance on the issue of
retrospective punishment.
Defoe felt his actions had been "blown out of
all proportion".
"The referee was standing over me and if he
felt I had done something bad he would have
sent me off," said the 24-year-old.
"It doesn't look great on TV and I accept that I
have a responsibility to conduct myself in the
right way.
"When the West Ham player fouled me, I
reacted in a bit of a mischievous way - my
character is a little like that at times."
Sports minister Richard Caborn had earlier
called for the FA to examine Defoe's actions.
Caborn told The Times: "Any
action like this I hope the
authorities will decide on. Players
in these positions have a
responsibility to set a good
example."
The incident came towards the end of the first
half of Tottenham's 1-0 win at White Hart
Lane.
Spurs boss Martin Jol described Defoe's bite
as a "comical nibble".
"He was nibbling his arm - there will be no
mark. Ask Mascherano if he has got a mark,"
said Jol.
"It is part of the game. They kicked him three
times from behind in 10 minutes and he
wanted to show his frustration in a nice,
comical way."
However, Hammers boss Alan
Pardew, who saw his side slide to
a fifth straight Premiership defeat,
did not see the funny side.
"Mascherano brought him down
from behind and that was
definitely a booking," he said.
"I didn't quite see the reaction
from Jermain but it looked like he
gestured towards Mascherano but whether
there was any contact I don't know.
"In today's game he could have gone. If he
was sent off there, it would have changed the
game."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/6076094.stm

**** Just because he is an English player. double standard. *** To hell with FiFa and England
Re: Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez by abatically(m): 2:28pm On Jun 29, 2014
You might have a point, but only little. yes Defoe did bite Mascherano but u can't compare that with what Suarez did. Defoe was fouled by Mascherano and in retaliation he bit his arm.. that is human even though its wrong. Moreover Defoe was not fined because the referee saw the incident and booked both players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzXBSvngRR0

An FA spokesman said: "We are unable to take any action because the referee has already dealt with the incident.

"Fifa regulations prevent us from taking retrospective action."

Also Defoe has not bitten anyone since then. Now compare that with Suarez's first incident against Otman Bakkal in Ajax..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WptBPHDIIvE

it might be a bit similar but its still different. Suarez was banned for 7 games and nobody heard about it. I'm sure u didn't know about it either. There was little publicity about that incident. But then they revisited the case when Suarez was involved in another bite against Ivanovic.

[img]http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ib1i7EzAKuqvlv.gif[/img]

From the Gif above, only someone with mental problem would do that. The ball was far away, Ivanovic didn't fould suarez but Suarez grabbed his hands and bit him like he was some barbecue chicken. And then we he realized what he had done, he went to ground trying to con the ref. Suarez definitely knew what he was doing. He got a 10 match ban after that and that was when the issue became heavily publicised by the media.

As if that was not enough, he went to the world cup and did the same thing over again.. this cannibal hasn't learnt his lesson.

Suarez has this crazy instinct of 'Win at all cost'. This is what he did in 2010 against Ghana in thr world cup by handling a goal bound ball, eliminating Ghana in the process. Against Italy he knew they were running out of time, so he bit Chiellini and went to ground clutching his face pretending as if he was fouled, trying to con the ref into winning a penalty.. he knew what he was doing.

OP, in what way did suarez biting Ivanovic and Chiellini similar to Defoe's bite? Suarez deserves every criticism he is getting right now. Liverpool stood by him during his racism problem with Evra, they stood by him after the Ivanovic incident, but I tell u there's a limit to what someone can take. Keep supporting him, tomorrow he will still bite someone again. He should be given a long ban so he can learn his lessons.

Ok now for the joke part.... watch Suarez trying to bite Gerrard but he missed. lol [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

Re: Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez by luvola(m): 2:35pm On Jun 29, 2014
abatically: You might have a point, but only little. yes Defoe did bite Mascherano but u can't compare that with what Suarez did. Defoe was fouled by Mascherano and in retaliation he bit his arm.. that is human even though its wrong. Moreover Defoe was not fined because the referee saw the incident and booked both players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzXBSvngRR0

An FA spokesman said: "We are unable to take any action because the referee has already dealt with the incident.

"Fifa regulations prevent us from taking retrospective action."

Also Defoe has not bitten anyone since then. Now compare that with Suarez's first incident against Otman Bakkal in Ajax..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WptBPHDIIvE

it might be a bit similar but its still different. Suarez was banned for 7 games and nobody heard about it. I'm sure u didn't know about it either. There was little publicity about that incident. But then they revisited the case when Suarez was involved in another bite against Ivanovic.

[img]http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ib1i7EzAKuqvlv.gif[/img]

From the Gif above, only someone with mental problem would do that. The ball was far away, Ivanovic didn't fould suarez but Suarez grabbed his hands and bit him like he was some barbecue chicken. And then we he realized what he had done, he went to ground trying to con the ref. Suarez definitely knew what he was doing. He got a 10 match ban after that and that was when the issue became heavily publicised by the media.

As if that was not enough, he went to the world cup and did the same thing over again.. this cannibal hasn't learnt his lesson.

Suarez has this crazy instinct of 'Win at all cost'. This is what he did in 2010 against Ghana in thr world cup by handling a goal bound ball, eliminating Ghana in the process. Against Italy he knew they were running out of time, so he bit Chiellini and went to ground clutching his face pretending as if he was fouled, trying to con the ref into winning a penalty.. he knew what he was doing.

OP, in what way did suarez biting Ivanovic and Chiellini similar to Defoe's bite? Suarez deserves every criticism he is getting right now. Liverpool stood by him during his racism problem with Evra, they stood by him after the Ivanovic incident, but I tell u there's a limit to what someone can take. Keep supporting him, tomorrow he will still bite someone again. He should be given a long ban so he can learn his lessons.

Ok now for the joke part.... watch Suarez trying to bite Gerrard but he missed. lol [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

you do not have a point. Your analogy connote the conspiracy theory against Suarez. case close.
Re: Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez by abatically(m): 2:38pm On Jun 29, 2014
luvola: you do not have a point. Your analogy connote the conspiracy theory against Suarez. case close.

That is it? I don't have a point, case close(d). I shouldn't be arguing with u if u don't know how to use correct words. Its case closed and not case close. I have given my points, if u think they are invalid then counter argue with me rather than saying case close(d).
Re: Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez by luvola(m): 2:48pm On Jun 29, 2014
abatically:

That is it? I don't have a point, case close(d). I shouldn't be arguing with u if u don't know how to use correct words. Its case closed and not case close. I have given my points, if u think they are invalid then counter argue with me rather than saying case close(d).
We are not saying what Suarez did was right rather the blower which is the double standard of English press . It would have been better if they have given Suarez a red card than punishing him severely. Suarez would have gotten little or no ban if he was an English player.
Re: Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez by abatically(m): 2:53pm On Jun 29, 2014
luvola: We are not saying what Suarez did was right rather the blower which is the double standard of English press . It would have been better if they have given Suarez a red card than punishing him severely. Suarez would have gotten little or no ban if he was an English player.

Have u ever seen a player given a red card after an incident that a referee didn't see? Suarez picked Ivanovic perfectly where the referee couldn't see it because it was off the ball. His ban was longer because FA used his first bite incident against him which is normal. Now his ban is even longer because FIFA used his first 2 incidents against him. If he goes ahead and bite again his ban will be even much longer. That is normal.
Re: Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez by luvola(m): 3:08pm On Jun 29, 2014
abatically:

Have u ever seen a player given a red card after an incident that a referee didn't see? Suarez picked Ivanovic perfectly where the referee couldn't see it because it was off the ball. His ban was longer because FA used his first bite incident against him which is normal. Now his ban is even longer because FIFA used his first 2 incidents against him. If he goes ahead and bite again his ban will be even much longer. That is normal.
Mamohd sakho gave an elbow knock to a Ecuador's player in the last match they played ,the refree saw it but ignored . Why didn't they ban him after the match.

Feel free to read the elbow story of sakho on Ecuador's player. I repeat ,FIFA abd other conspiracist gang up against luiz Suarez . My argument is directed at the double standard of English press ,FiFa et al.

The France defender should be banned after
swinging an elbow at Oswaldo Minda during
the goalless draw with Ecuador at the
Maracana on Wednesday
By Greg Stobart at the Estadio Maracana
The news agenda over the last 24 hours has
been dominated by Luis Suarez’s cannibalistic
attempt to sink his teeth into an opponent’s
shoulder.
The Uruguay striker will soon learn his fate
and is facing a considerable ban for the latest
indiscretion on a lengthy rap sheet. Anything
from six games to two years has been
suggested as the potential punishment. He
has set his own precedent, and is indefensible.
But an incident here at the Maracana during
France’s goalless draw with Ecuador might
provide some perspective amid the hysteria.
In the first-half, France defender Mamadou
Sakho viciously swung his elbow at Oswaldo
Minda as he defended a corner. Fortunately
the contact was not as strong as Sakho
intended and Minda was able to escape
relatively unharmed and with his nose intact.
Yet the potential for serious damage was
there. What would you rather – a few bite
marks on your shoulder or a shattered jaw?
Suarez’s indiscretion is deemed worse
because it is shocking in its nature and
socially unacceptable. Much like spitting at an
opponent, the physical damage is not the
barometer of its severity.
In most circumstances, it would be a one-off.
The fact that Suarez has now bitten an
opponent on three separate occasions has
only fuelled the situation. The Liverpool
striker’s World Cup will likely be over – but
his club team-mate Sakho should not kick
another ball in Brazil either.
As they did with Suarez, Fifa need to review
the video evidence and throw the book at
Sakho with a ban of at least three matches for
violent conduct. There is no possible defence.
He was not challenging in the air for a 50-50,
it was calculated and pre-meditated.
Didier Deschamps might reflect anyway that a
central defensive combination of Laurent
Koscielny and Raphael Varane would be more
trustworthy for France’s last 16 clash against
Nigeria in Brasilia on Monday. Sakho could
have no complaints if Les Bleus’ coach makes
that choice.
Further to Sakho's indiscretion, second-half
substitute Olivier Giroud clearly elbowed
Gabriel Achilier on the jaw as the pair wrestled
in the area. The blow was not as dangerous
and with as much power as Sakho's, but it
was an elbow nonetheless. The Arsenal striker
was equally fortunate that the referee missed
the incident.
Referee Noumandiez Doue did however make
the correct decision to send off Antonio
Valencia in the 50th minute for a studs-up
challenge on Lucas Digne.
The Ecuador captain may have been going for
the ball, but it was dangerous, as well he
would know, as a player who once spent six
months on the sidelines with a broken ankle.
It was the kind of challenge we see on an
almost weekly basis in European leagues, the
sort pundits would describe as a leg-breaker.
Fortunately, Digne was able to continue – but
again he will feel far more sore than Giorgio
Chiellini.
The Suarez situation is unique, but violent
play is far more of an everyday issue that
football authorities must address.
They can begin by starting disciplinary
proceedings against Sakho and Giroud. They,
like Suarez, must get the punishment they
deserve.

source :

http://www.goal.com/en/news/3790/world-cup-2014/2014/06/25/4914259/why-is-suarezs-bite-any-worse-than-sakhos-elbow?ICID=HP_HN_2
Re: Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez by abatically(m): 3:16pm On Jun 29, 2014
Some people keep saying its a British conspiracy against Suarez, but let me show u British players that have received long bans from the FA.

1. Rio Ferdinand: Banned for 8 months for failing a dope test in 2003, he is British

2. Roy Keane: Handed a five-week ban and a £150,000 fine in October 2002 for comments made about Alfie Haaland in his controversial autobiography. Another British player.

3. DAVID PRUTTON: the Southampton midfielder was hit with a 10-game ban and fined £6,000 by the FA after shoving referee Alan Wiley following his red card in a match against Arsenal in 2005. Another British player.

4. PAUL DAVIS - The Arsenal midfielder was banned for nine matches and fined £3,000 after punching Southampton's Glenn Cockerill during a match in October 1988. Another British player.

5. VINNIE JONES - Given a six-month ban suspended for three years in November 1992 - and fined a then record £20,000 by the FA - for his commentary in a video glorifying football violence and dirty tricks. Another British player.

Also don't forget Eric Cantona even though he is French. Banned for nine months from football worldwide and ordered to do 120 hours community service as a result of his Kung-Fu kick on Crystal Palace fan Matthew Simmons in 1995.

Now why is Suarez case different? This is no British conspiracy, he is paying for his actions. How do u explain someone biting his fellow player not once, not twice but three times. That is barbaric. When u commit an offence, u have to pay for it.
Re: Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez by luvola(m): 3:41pm On Jun 29, 2014
The France defender should be banned after
swinging an elbow at Oswaldo Minda during
the goalless draw with Ecuador at the
Maracana on Wednesday
By Greg Stobart at the Estadio Maracana
The news agenda over the last 24 hours has
been dominated by Luis Suarez’s cannibalistic
attempt to sink his teeth into an opponent’s
shoulder.
The Uruguay striker will soon learn his fate
and is facing a considerable ban for the latest
indiscretion on a lengthy rap sheet. Anything
from six games to two years has been
suggested as the potential punishment. He
has set his own precedent, and is indefensible.
But an incident here at the Maracana during
France’s goalless draw with Ecuador might
provide some perspective amid the hysteria.
In the first-half, France defender Mamadou
Sakho viciously swung his elbow at Oswaldo
Minda as he defended a corner. Fortunately
the contact was not as strong as Sakho
intended and Minda was able to escape
relatively unharmed and with his nose intact.
Yet the potential for serious damage was
there. What would you rather – a few bite
marks on your shoulder or a shattered jaw?
Suarez’s indiscretion is deemed worse
because it is shocking in its nature and
socially unacceptable. Much like spitting at an
opponent, the physical damage is not the
barometer of its severity.
In most circumstances, it would be a one-off.
The fact that Suarez has now bitten an
opponent on three separate occasions has
only fuelled the situation. The Liverpool
striker’s World Cup will likely be over – but
his club team-mate Sakho should not kick
another ball in Brazil either.
As they did with Suarez, Fifa need to review
the video evidence and throw the book at
Sakho with a ban of at least three matches for
violent conduct. There is no possible defence.
He was not challenging in the air for a 50-50,
it was calculated and pre-meditated.
Didier Deschamps might reflect anyway that a
central defensive combination of Laurent
Koscielny and Raphael Varane would be more
trustworthy for France’s last 16 clash against
Nigeria in Brasilia on Monday. Sakho could
have no complaints if Les Bleus’ coach makes
that choice.
Further to Sakho's indiscretion, second-half
substitute Olivier Giroud clearly elbowed
Gabriel Achilier on the jaw as the pair wrestled
in the area. The blow was not as dangerous
and with as much power as Sakho's, but it
was an elbow nonetheless. The Arsenal striker
was equally fortunate that the referee missed
the incident.
Referee Noumandiez Doue did however make
the correct decision to send off Antonio
Valencia in the 50th minute for a studs-up
challenge on Lucas Digne.
The Ecuador captain may have been going for
the ball, but it was dangerous, as well he
would know, as a player who once spent six
months on the sidelines with a broken ankle.
It was the kind of challenge we see on an
almost weekly basis in European leagues, the
sort pundits would describe as a leg-breaker.
Fortunately, Digne was able to continue – but
again he will feel far more sore than Giorgio
Chiellini.
The Suarez situation is unique, but violent
play is far more of an everyday issue that
football authorities must address.
They can begin by starting disciplinary
proceedings against Sakho and Giroud. They,
like Suarez, must get the punishment they
deserve.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/3790/world-cup-2014/2014/06/25/4914259/why-is-suarezs-bite-any-worse-than-sakhos-elbow?ICID=HP_HN_2

*** This is the double standard we are talking about.

Re: Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez by abatically(m): 4:05pm On Jun 29, 2014
Are u talking about this?

Yes I saw the incident and he should have been booked surely. But in football, some decisions go unpunished while others are not so lucky. Elbow, pulling, pushing, tackling, shielding have all been part of football. But BITING has never and will never be part of the game. You people should stop trying to bring BITING into the beautiful game of football, jeez someone could get rabies.

It is easier to claim u were trying to shield urself in an elbow incident. A bad tackle could be argued to be a missed tackle. It is completely legal to use ur arms to defend urself in football, for that reason elbow cases need to be carefully scrutinized before making a decision. In most elbow cases, if the referee didn't take a decision, the case normally dies there without any further action.

In case of Suarez, how do u explain Biting a player.. there is no logical explanation or argument. Billion of people were watching and a decision needed to be taken, it doesn't matter if its suarez or not.

You seem to forget one thing, HE HAS DONE IT 3 TIMES. 3 GOOD TIMES
Re: Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez by luvola(m): 5:30pm On Jun 29, 2014
abatically: Are u talking about this?

Yes I saw the incident and he should have been booked surely. But in football, some decisions go unpunished while others are not so lucky. Elbow, pulling, pushing, tackling, shielding have all been part of football. But BITING has never and will never be part of the game. You people should stop trying to bring BITING into the beautiful game of football, jeez someone could get rabies.

It is easier to claim u were trying to shield urself in an elbow incident. A bad tackle could be argued to be a missed tackle. It is completely legal to use ur arms to defend urself in football, for that reason elbow cases need to be carefully scrutinized before making a decision. In most elbow cases, if the referee didn't take a decision, the case normally dies there without any further action.

In case of Suarez, how do u explain Biting a player.. there is no logical explanation or argument. Billion of people were watching and a decision needed to be taken, it doesn't matter if its suarez or not.

You seem to forget one thing, HE HAS DONE IT 3 TIMES. 3 GOOD TIMES
so you are indirectly justfying elbow knock ? Man you are more worst than fifa . **walk out of thread *
Re: Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez by abatically(m): 6:12pm On Jun 29, 2014
luvola: so you are indirectly justfying elbow knock ? Man you are more worst than fifa . **walk out of thread *

I am in no way justifying elbow knock, please don't get me wrong. They are 2 different offenses. A player giving an elbow can easily argue that it's not intentional, then it is left for the authorities to look into it and decide if he gets a ban or not. Also they look at past records of the player involved. In this case it's against suarez as this is his 3rd time. If u get jailed for 2 years for robbing a bank, by the time u get released and u still go back to rob the bank again, u will get a longer jail term. If u still go back the 3rd time to rob another bank after being released, u might end up getting incarcerated.

There is no way u can claim a bite is not intentional, absolutely no way. For u to bite someone u have to get close, open ur moth and then bite... That is barbaric. Stop supporting the sewer rat.

(1) (Reply)

Biafra Vs Nigeria - (russia 2018 World Cup Qualifier-team Sheet) / See List of Top Ten Footballers Who Never Received A Red Card / Rejected VFL Has Become Pepos Salary!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.