Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,677 members, 7,801,953 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:51 AM

How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans (7034 Views)

Nigerians Are Giving Up On Android, Want Their Blackberry Back / Best Blackberry Data Plan In Nigeria: Which Network? / Why Are Many People Selling Or Dumping Their Blackberry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by charlsecy(m): 1:31pm On Jun 29, 2014
Nearly all Android users in Nigeria have at least one Airtel line. Reason? Airtel allows her cheaper BlackBerry data to be used on all platforms. Airtel BlackBerry data being cross-platform provides a significantly cheaper and better alternative to more expensive normal data subscriptions, hence the surge of Android users on the Airtel BlackBerry ecosystem, who ordinarily would have had to pay higher subscription fees, and worse still, Android devices are simply data guzzlers.

I have been using Airtel BlackBerry data for more than a year or so, but recently, I can say that the rate at which my Airtel BlackBerry data runs down appears to be noticeably faster than it used to be. So, I decided to set out to determine how Airtel BlackBerry data works out.

These are the details of my find:

Duration: 10 June to 20 June, 2014.

As at Tuesday, 10 June, 2014, I had 1436.87MB, according to Airtel.

I had installed 3 data managers, plus the in-built, native one, namely:

Data Counter Widget
My Data Manager
Data Usage Defender
Native Android data counter

All of them read 0 bytes of data from the said date. [See IMAGE 1]

To verify the accuracy of each of the data managers, I updated a 15.15MB English Dictionary file from PlayStore, after which I checked the reading of each of the data managers; they were:

Data Counter Widget: 15.8MB
My Data Manager: 18MB
Data Usage Defender: 18.19MB
Native Android data counter: 18.29MB

I dialled *123*9# to check my data balance; it was 1400.47MB. This meant that Airtel had deducted 36MB for a 15MB file, but my data managers were reading an average of 15 to 18MB. In fact, Data Counter Widget was pretty reliable and accurate at 15.8MB reading, which was close to the real size of the downloadable file from PlayStore. The data managers were pretty reliable, I concluded.

[See IMAGE 2]

It has been established that the data managers are approximately accurate, so, I set out on a long observation, 10 June to 20 June, 2014, an 11-day study.

>>>>>>>>I surfed the Net from 10 June to 20 June.<<<<<<<<<<<

On 20 June, 2014, 72.29MB was my Airtel data balance. The following was the reading of each of my data managers:

Data Counter Widget: 683.5MB
My Data Manager: 684MB
Data Usage Defender: 687.13MB
Native Android data counter: 673MB

[See IMAGE 3]

It can be seen that for the 11-day period, Airtel had charged me 1364.58MB [1436.87MB from start - 72.29MB balance after the study], but my data managers were showing that I had used an average of 681MB during the period. Recall that I had earlier on established that the data managers were approximately accurate using the 15.15MB file experiment.

The conclusion that can be drawn from this study is that Airtel charges twice higher than the normal rate in data consumption, that is, the BlackBerry data runs down approximately twice faster; specifically, a 2GB Airtel BlackBerry data would be equivalent to a 1GB normal data.

Regardless of the double-depletion of Airtel BlackBerry data, since other networks restrict their BlackBerry data to only BlackBerry devices, Airtel BlackBerry data remains the best subscription option for non-BlackBerry users, especially Android users. For example, Glo MyPhone of 800MB costs N2,000, Etisalat's 500 and MTN's 750MB go for N2,000.

You can download the three data managers used at:

Data Counter Widget >>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roysolberg.android.datacounter
My Data Manager >>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm
Data Usage Defender >>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.datausagedefender.free

9 Likes

Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by charlsecy(m): 1:37pm On Jun 29, 2014
IMAGE 1

Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by charlsecy(m): 1:37pm On Jun 29, 2014
IMAGE 2

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by charlsecy(m): 1:38pm On Jun 29, 2014
IMAGE 3

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by onihaxy: 1:43pm On Jun 29, 2014
ALL IZZ WELL
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by captainnigeria(m): 2:18pm On Jun 29, 2014
front page please.i wish i could sue airtel or something.they must be breaking the law right
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by MabraO: 2:37pm On Jun 29, 2014
[b]No doubt Airtel don dey play wayo
[/b]
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by W3xy1(m): 2:39pm On Jun 29, 2014
I sub for 2gig and i noticed it as well. Since then i don port to mtn night plan. Guys beware airtel is a cheat
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jun 29, 2014
SMH for whoever created this thread. You think Airtel's unfair? SMH again. It's either you're dumb or blind. If I recall correctly, after BIS activation Airtel clearly states; "Charging and experience may differ" if used on a non BB device. Here you are calling Airtel a cheat. SMH again. Go ahead and sue them na.

2 Likes

Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by ify84(m): 4:08pm On Jun 29, 2014
nice research..... airtel already warn about dat..... I did 80mb Sunday afternoon... 3hrs after its already 23mb... meaning they charge times two.... thats y I think de introduce 4g for 1500....meaning 2gig for 1500.
all d same... Am thinking of going back to airtel as d browsing is better dan before.. test running with My 80mb...so far so good down here in owerri

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by francis247(m): 4:50pm On Jun 29, 2014
Kiggster: SMH for whoever created this thread. You think Airtel's unfair? SMH again. It's either you're dumb or blind. If I recall correctly, after BIS activation Airtel clearly states; "Charging and experience may differ" if used on a non BB device. Here you are calling Airtel a cheat. SMH again. Go ahead and sue them na.
Bone that sht my friend. I've used it on my BB and can authoritatively tell you that the charge is exactly the same on BB as it is on Android. Airtel BB subscription is a huge fraud. SMH

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by charlsecy(m): 5:28pm On Jun 29, 2014
Kiggster: SMH for whoever created this thread. You think Airtel's unfair? SMH again. It's either you're dumb or blind. If I recall correctly, after BIS activation Airtel clearly states; "Charging and experience may differ" if used on a non BB device. Here you are calling Airtel a cheat. SMH again.

Let us get this matter straight.

First, let me state my post is empirical, has no emotional dimension. I stated what is; the post is largely not an opinion. I authenticated your so-called "Charging and experience may differ," and put verifiable numerical values to it.

Now I beg you to show me where I indicated that Airtel is a cheat. Please!

4 Likes

Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by charlsecy(m): 5:41pm On Jun 29, 2014
ify84: nice research..... airtel already warn about dat..... I did 80mb Sunday afternoon... 3hrs after its already 23mb... meaning they charge times two.... thats y I think de introduce 4g for 1500....meaning 2gig for 1500.
all d same... Am thinking of going back to airtel as d browsing is better dan before.. test running with My 80mb...so far so good down here in owerri

@ify84, your response shows understanding unlike that of Kiggster. Perhaps, he didn't well enough before making a remark, and is blind even to this position of mine >>>

charlsecy: Regardless of the double-depletion of Airtel BlackBerry data, since other networks restrict their BlackBerry data to only BlackBerry devices, Airtel BlackBerry data remains the best subscription option for non-BlackBerry users, especially Android users. For example, Glo MyPhone of 800MB costs N2,000, Etisalat's 500 and MTN's 750MB go for N2,000.

Maybe, if someone says the price of the US Dollar is between N160 and N170 on average, the likes of Kiggster will accuse the person of calling CBN a cheat!
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by nwaobitex: 5:51pm On Jun 29, 2014
Ok
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jun 29, 2014
charlsecy:

Let us get this matter straight.

First, let me state my post is empirical has no emotional dimension. I stated what is; the post is largely not an opinion. I authenticated your so-called "Charging and experience may differ," and put verifiable numerical values to it.

Now I beg you to show me where I indicated that Airtel is a cheat. Please!

I was referring to W3xy1 He called airtel a cheat. My mistake for not indicating.
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by charlsecy(m): 8:07pm On Jun 29, 2014
Kiggster: SMH for whoever created this thread. You think Airtel's unfair? SMH again. It's either you're dumb or blind. If I recall correctly, after BIS activation Airtel clearly states; "Charging and experience may differ" if used on a non BB device. Here you are calling Airtel a cheat. SMH again. Go ahead and sue them na.
Kiggster: I was referring to W3xy1 He called airtel a cheat. My mistake for not indicating.

You didn't indicate? SMH.... Please check the bold words in blue! You clearly indicated that you were referring to the OP, that is, me, not W3xy1, yet you said in your second response that you were referring to W3xy1. Is it that you're lying or that you're just plain confused? Did you see your words in blue before the second response? SMH again.....

2 Likes

Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by DaBozz(m): 8:31pm On Jun 29, 2014
I was out of subscription and because I really needed to send a friend some important files, I subscribed for the #100 Airtel BB Day which has a data cap of 80MB on my android phone. I attached the PDF files to my mail and sent it and I also downloaded a 23.70MB video on YouTube. To my greatest surprise, when I checked my data balance, I had just 1.78MB left and when I checked my data usage on my phone using DX Toolbox, it reads 38.98MB. It was then I concur with what most android users have been complaining that Airtel charges twice as much when browsing with a non BB device.

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by dgitrader(m): 10:05pm On Jun 29, 2014
charlsecy:

You didn't indicate? SMH.... Please check the bold words in blue! You clearly indicated that you were referring to the OP, that is, me, not W3xy1, yet you said in your second response that you were referring to W3xy1. Is it that you're lying or that you're just plain confused? Did you see your words in blue before the second response? SMH again.....

you have done a very great exposure on Airtel bb charges, and also gave a very good comparism to other service providers. your points are well understood and appreciated, don't waste your time with some folks who hurriedly type before reasoning.

4 Likes

Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by vickertony(m): 11:02pm On Jun 29, 2014
francis247: Bone that sht my friend. I've used it on my BB and can authoritatively tell you that the charge is exactly the same on BB as it is on Android. Airtel BB subscription is a huge fraud. SMH
fool.why the lie?!?mumu
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by Nobody: 12:22am On Jun 30, 2014
SMH
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by Nobody: 1:06am On Jun 30, 2014
francis247: Bone that sht my friend. I've used it on my BB and can authoritatively tell you that the charge is exactly the same on BB as it is on Android. Airtel BB subscription is a huge fraud. SMH
I'm using Airtel Bis on my android its been over 3weeks now and I'm still enjoying it.
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by fr3do(m): 3:23am On Jun 30, 2014
Op, thums up
I like ur approach.

Ur actual data usage should be more than the size of the file downloaded, dont forget that playstore would load images but thats inconsequential to the obvious, airtel fraudulently zaps data at twice the actual rate.

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by francis247(m): 5:58am On Jun 30, 2014
vickertony: fool.why the lie?!?mumu
Ok. I don see u.
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by dgitrader(m): 7:49am On Jun 30, 2014
the fact remains that for several months now, Airtel zaps double amount of data u use(on non-bb devices), if u use 200mb, u r charged 400mb, its simple as that.

however, like the OP stated, Airtel still offers the best option for android users(least expensive). with Airtel BB, u pay N1,500 for real 1gb(even though it reads 2gb)for use 247 in a month, nothing like night or day.
NO OTHER NETWORK BEATS THIS OFFER!!!!!!!!!

if u r eligible, u get real 2gb(fake 4gb) for the same 1,500! Abeg give kudos to Airtel. monkey no fine, but him mama like am.

use Airtel BB plan to stay online throughout the month, and then Etisalat houly unlimited to do your heavy downloads(N180 in an hour could give u over 1.5gb)

spend your money wisely to get value for it. don't dull

2 Likes

Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by Mrvirgin(m): 11:24am On Jun 30, 2014
Nice one OP but ur findings might not be totally correct coz I also tracked my data consumption on Airtel Bb sub with an in-built data usage counter dat comes with my galaxy grand and it was near accurate compared to wot Airtel gave me... perhaps ur data usage counter apps don't calculate dose Android underground nd background data usage. In other news, I'm still rocking my Glo bis on Android and I think it'z da best for now. Thnk God nairaland is finally back
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by ibietela2(m): 11:48am On Jun 30, 2014
What do you expect? Airtel sells 1GB data for $3 in India
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by charlsecy(m): 12:20pm On Jun 30, 2014
Mrvirgin: but ur findings might not be totally correct coz I also tracked my data consumption on Airtel Bb sub with an in-built data usage counter dat comes with my galaxy grand and it was near accurate compared to wot Airtel gave me...

Reset all your data managers, take note of your data readings and redo your stuff. Post pictures afterwards.

I don't have any doubt about my findings. They are true. I have also confirmed from my brother's phone; the charge is similar; Airtel BlackBerry charges on average twice the amount of real data used, at least on non-BlackBerry devices.
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by biz2get(m): 6:05pm On Jun 30, 2014
Like seriously whats with the colors

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by MrAnonymous: 8:04pm On Jun 30, 2014
Does this have something to do with the NCC response to BlackBerry data?
They may have possibly cranked up the pricing just to level the playing field and make data usage fair to everyone.
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by yinchar(m): 5:52am On Jul 01, 2014
Please dont subscribe to Airtel, they still consuming MB like hell, I subscribed yesterday and still notice they are charged Android users x2...a word is enough for the wise.
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by charlsecy(m): 9:44am On Jul 01, 2014
yinchar: Please dont subscribe to Airtel, they still consuming MB like hell, I subscribed yesterday and still notice they are charged Android users x2...
I think Airtel BlackBerry data is still generally preferable.
Re: How Airtel Actually Charges Android Users On Their Blackberry Data Plans by samlestic(m): 7:28am On Jul 02, 2014
ify84: nice research..... airtel already warn about dat..... I did 80mb Sunday afternoon... 3hrs after its already 23mb... meaning they charge times two.... thats y I think de introduce 4g for 1500....meaning 2gig for 1500.
pls which code and hw much 4 d 80mb. mak i test run d netwok hea first coz am eligible

(1) (2) (Reply)

Solution To Downloading From Rapidshare / Celtel Slashes Tariffs: Now The Cheapest! / How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,.......

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.