Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:29 PM

When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? (16511 Views)

Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final / Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? / Should Parents UnCloth In Presence Of Their Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by xynerise: 3:21pm On Jun 29, 2014
The teenage stage is the most sensitive stage of a human and should be handled with care. At the same time, we should not be over-protective on them(teens). I guess there is a particular period they should make decision for themselves, like when it comes to sex, dating and career. When do you think is the best time to allow them make decisions for themselves? I guess this has nothing to do with the age restriction, i.e 18years? Does it?
Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by durella4(m): 4:38pm On Jun 29, 2014
2 me a parent should allow thier children 2 make decision wen d re up 2 18.We African parent always want our children 2 follow thier rules every time dats why u will see a 27yr old guy still living with d parent cos he can't make decision on his own.

In d aspect of dating n sex d parent should educate his/her child very well n always allow dem to be expose.D moment u released dem frm dat lock house d s every tendency 4 dem to test wat u ve bin preventin dem frm,i read an acticle of a kenyan gal who said she wants 2 Bleep 20 dicks d moment she enter's uni simply because d fada ve bin lockin her up in house so she just wanna punish dem.

In carrer, ve know alot of parent who choose courses 4 thier children,dis s very bad.Let d child choose wat he/she wants 2 bcome.Sum ve phobia 4 blood yet thier parents want dem 2 bcome doctors,sum can't even talk or lie yet thier parents want dem 2 bcome lawyers,sum re nt creative yet d want dem 2 bcome engineers,dis s 2 bad.So many peepz ve progress in other fields of life,it s nt a must 4 1 2 bcome a doctor,lawyer orh engineer b4 he/she make it in life.

11 Likes

Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by xynerise: 10:43am On Jun 30, 2014
^@First Paragraph. Is 18years the specified age to let them make thier own decisions?

@Second paragraph. Are you saying teens should be allowed to go places they wish without knowing the kind of friends they keep?

1 Like

Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by Dygeasy(m): 11:11am On Jun 30, 2014
It depends on the parents and their child. My children are going to enjoy the freewill I enjoyed.

Once the child starts showing signs of wanting to be independent, I don't think it is wise to hold that back. It's fine to advise but not force.

I started making my own decisions since I was 15. I just simply wouldn't let anybody decide my life for me. My dad wanted me to study medicine and when I left Biology out of my JAMB subject combination no one questioned me. They did but I told them I wanted to do what I chose and they said no further.

I had principles as a younger boy and I stuck to them. I set when to have a gf and I had one when I planned to and so many other instances. If my parents have any idea on how I'd had things planned for myself and how I stuck to them and how they turned out for me, they'd be more proud of me than they ever were.

My point is a person should be whatever as a result of their decision and not because their dad or mum wants them to be this or that.

8 Likes

Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by Drfash(f): 7:09am On Jul 01, 2014
18+
Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by BrAkingNews: 7:09am On Jul 01, 2014
Is all depends.....maturity is not by age

PHOTOS: S3x Workers Storm Venues Of 2014 World Cup In Brazil
>>> http://www./entertainment/sex-workers-storm-venues-of-2014-world-cup-in-brazil/

2 Likes

Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by deedrizzie: 7:09am On Jul 01, 2014
I dunno really... Bt i thnk sendn a child to the boarding schl helps build independence and decision making...send ur kid to boardn schl in ss1 n see him/her grow b4 ur very eyes

6 Likes

Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by Nobody: 7:09am On Jul 01, 2014
@every phase of their life,there are decisions parents should not make for their kids.
Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by plainmirror(m): 7:09am On Jul 01, 2014
The safest parental guidance to a teenager is to impact knowledge to his/her ward. This will enable the teenager to make wise and appropriate decisions irrespective of time, place, or condition.

2 Likes

Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by Nobody: 7:11am On Jul 01, 2014

1 Like

Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by paulworld(m): 7:12am On Jul 01, 2014
When ever the child(ren) is able to provide for him/her self
Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by DEngineer(m): 7:13am On Jul 01, 2014
In Nigeria nothing less than 18+ with horse whip if e is a warri boy.

Other parts of the world, I pass
Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by yinkard4me(m): 7:13am On Jul 01, 2014

1 Like

Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by skillet(m): 7:13am On Jul 01, 2014
What sort of silly question is this? Or maybe its a trick question. Parents should let their teenage children make decisions for themselves when pigs begin to fly. Unless a child is orphaned, or the parents are poor, the rule still remains that whoever pays the piper, dictactes the tune.
Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by DesChyko: 7:18am On Jul 01, 2014
There should be no specific age for this. I feel it should depend on some factors like:
1. How the parents want the child to blend into the society.
2. How the teenager reacts to orders and control.
3. The environment they live in.
4. The abilities of the child in question...and a host of others.
So, it is not just easy to ring a bell, DING, and let the child take decisions himself or herself.
Rather, it is a step by step decision, influenced by certain dispositions.

3 Likes

Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by xynerise: 7:19am On Jul 01, 2014
skillet: What sort of silly questiin is this?
Just humbly say you don't understand the question

3 Likes

Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by Princeojua(m): 7:19am On Jul 01, 2014
My name is Prince Samuel Ojua, a Student of Guidance and Counselling, Cross River Uni of Tech, Calabar.
My Friend. Yes ofcourse. A child has a stage he/she should be allowed to make a choice or decision for themselves. This choices and decision must be academic related. Let him/her do what she likes. All she needs from you is encouragement. A genius can be in Farming, Sports, Academy, entertainment etc. Which ever decision this child is making, mostly career related. Avoid distracting him/her. Just support. A teenager is and adolescent, lets say age 13-18yrs. This child is mature enough to dictake good from bad, valid from invalid and wrong from right. Let Him/her be. A little distraction from you can derail this child talent, vision or goals.

3 Likes

Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by Innodon(m): 7:21am On Jul 01, 2014
21 I think
Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by zeb04(f): 7:23am On Jul 01, 2014
Lol in africa, mummies house,mummies rules which is really wrong bacause the child rebel
Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by Neldrizzy(m): 7:24am On Jul 01, 2014
i started doing ma thing at the age of 13.. i was tagged "the sturborn and the black sheep of the family" because ma parent never approved any of ma decisions all in the name of YOU ARE TOO YOUNG. But i will disobeyed them and go my way to do ma thing.. Now am above 18 very successful in my field.. Parent atimes can derailed someone's ambition/career. Jus go out there be positive, pray and believe in God and you will excel..
Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by skillet(m): 7:24am On Jul 01, 2014
My point exactly. An ambigous question is a silly question. If the op has already specified the age bracket of the kidss, what answer is he lookin for again? When should teenagers take control? When they are TEENAGERS. Duh. Silly question.
Someone up there innodon said 21. Is 21 a teenager? Dumb question.

xynerise:
Just humbly say you don't understand the question
Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by xynerise: 7:27am On Jul 01, 2014
skillet: My point exactly. An ambigous question is a silly question. If the op has already specified the age bracket of the kidss, what answer is he lookin for again? When should teenagers take control? When they are TEENAGERS. Duh. Silly question.

*sighs*

Pls, you need to wash your face very well undecided
Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by Yoney007(f): 7:30am On Jul 01, 2014
This question doesn't have an appropriate straight answer!!! Rephrase Op.
Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by josite: 7:32am On Jul 01, 2014
parents should first of all from day one makes themselves truly influential with the kid.and it is only then that the information placed before the kid who needs to make a decision will be deemed authentic enough by the kid to affect his decision.if your kid does not have respect for u,sure they will resist any attempt to make decisions for them .so the best practice is
1.making yourself and your opinion counts with the kid
2.make all the rlevant information,pros and cons available to the teenager.
3.let them their decision.
4.review the pro and cons of the decision taken with the teenager.
5.get a papr,let him sign he has been told of the pro and cons and he still stands by the decisions and ready for the implications.
6.support him/her all the way as far as you can as a parent.

rebellious kids,monsters kids dont just happen overnight,they are made to happen over time.
Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 01, 2014
When they can afford to pay their own school fees, feed themselves, clothe themselves, pay their phone bills and contribute to house keeping.

grin

1 Like

Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by LordVoldemort(m): 7:45am On Jul 01, 2014
skillet: What sort of silly question is this? Or maybe its a trick question. Parents should let their teenage children make decisions for themselves when pigs begin to fly. Unless a child is orphaned, or the parents are poor, the rule still remains that whoever pays the piper, dictactes the tune.

Wasn't expecting this from you, you use to ne reasonable.....cos your parent bully you to do everything they want and cos they pay ur bills doesn't it mean they made the best decision u.

A good parent don't make decision for his kid, he let him makes his decision and show him the pros and cons of his decision, parentz should be more of a guide.

2 Likes

Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by kendrick93(m): 7:47am On Jul 01, 2014
u also hav to consider this africa nt europe..and maturity isn't all abt age. its d mind
so a child of 18 might be more mature dan a 21yr old child.it depends really.
for me dey should be able to make decisions only when u sure dey are matured in d brain.its nt all abt age
Re: When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? by Nobody: 7:56am On Jul 01, 2014
it should b d day dey notice he is getting serious with life,bt dey should nt still b left on deir own,dey should b supported with advise and encouragement nd sometimes wen dey r going too far d should b ORDERED to do d rit tin,for instance,wen an 18 year old boy says he wnt to go out at midnit or wen he is doing sometin detrimental to d families health and well being and oda,for instance on sunday morning,he doesnt wnt to wash d car for Church nd lik goin out at nit.dats my view sha

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Honest Should You Be About Your Past When Marrying Someone? / Help! My Wife Has A Flaccid Boobs / Help Save Mama Kazeem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.