Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:23 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677072 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Gozychuks(m): 12:03am On Jul 01, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I can't help you with non-immigrant issues. For an immigrant petition for a sibling, your sibling would need to file an I-130 petition for you at USCIS. The wait time for that is currently running around 12 years. www.uscis.gov for more.
12 years for what. I don't get it. Anyway I have a sibling who is in US military. What process is involved if he wants to send any of us his siblings an invite. And how long will it take
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:19am On Jul 01, 2014
jigga40: Greetings,
Wow! Good to be back VisaOfficer cool
I and my wife's visa was approved last tuesday,thanks a lot for the assistance and God bless you. I am looking forward to get our package picked up tomorrow hope it will be ready by then?

Cheers.

Good morning and congratulations! I don't know which case you are so I can't tell you if your visas are ready to be picked up. You could call the phone number on your issuance letter and ask the guys at the delivery center. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:21am On Jul 01, 2014
cs25: Hi VisaOfficer. Thank you for opening another thread. You're doing a great job. smiley

My question is about the proof of financial support in K1 visa. My fiance quit his job middle of last year and is currently unemployed. On his latest 1040 form, his income was around $45,000. $18,000 was from his salary income from that job and the rest ($27,000) from his share on oil royalties. In case my fiance is still unemployed by the time I have my interview would his income from oil royalties + assets be enough for financial support? Or does his income have to be from salary earnings? What other forms do I have to bring during the interview for proof of financial support aside from the 1040 and W2? Thank you in advance for your advice on this matter. God bless.

Good morning,

Fiance visas are a little different from traditional immigrant visas, in that you don't have to submit the I-864 affidavit of financial support. Instead, you submit the I-134, which is a bit less stringent. Basically, if the Consular officer is reasonably convinced you won't be a public charge, that's all you need. I'd talk up the oil royalties and your own job prospects if I were you. The officer might still ask for more information, though -- no way to tell until you get here. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:23am On Jul 01, 2014
IyawoToBe: thanks visaofficer. We are applying for a b1/b2 visa. We just don't know if a visa fee is still valid for an interview scheduled for a date outside the 1year expiry date.

Ah. This is a question for https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:24am On Jul 01, 2014
kenfrano: Thanks V.O for yout assist.my qst is,if my fiancee is residing in the State and also a citizen which of the VISA should we apply for and the requirements cos we intend tieing the knot early next year in the State.

That would be the I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance(e), which leads to a K1 visa. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:26am On Jul 01, 2014
nkkystel: Welcome back V.O! My husband intends filing for me this July and he discovered that my birth certificate does not carry my English name cos my parents got the certificate before I got baptised. The name on the cert reads NKEIRUKA ANYAMADU while on Form I-130 STELLA NKEIRUKA ANYA.
I want to know if this will affect the processing in any way or do I get a new birth cert.
Thank you V.O in anticipation.

That shouldn't affect the processing, although your husband might want to include an explanatory letter for USCIS/National Visa Center. They process petitions from all over the world, so it's more difficult for them to keep track of each country's naming customs. Once you get to the interview stage, there shouldn't be any problem at the Consulate, based on what you've written here. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:28am On Jul 01, 2014
Gozychuks:
12 years for what. I don't get it. Anyway I have a sibling who is in US military. What process is involved if he wants to send any of us his siblings an invite. And how long will it take

For an immigrant visa for a sibling, it's currently around 12 years from when the petition is filed until the case becomes current (i.e. eligible for an interview). For non-immigrant visa questions, please see https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jigga40(m): 8:05am On Jul 01, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Good morning and congratulations! I don't know which case you are so I can't tell you if your visas are ready to be picked up. You could call the phone number on your issuance letter and ask the guys at the delivery center. Good luck!
Good morning VO! Our case is DV
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:39am On Jul 01, 2014
jigga40: Good morning VO! Our case is DV

We see a lot of DV cases so I still can't tell you for sure. It should be ready for pick-up a week after your interview. Fingers crossed!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Adeboy007(m): 10:05am On Jul 01, 2014
Welcome VO,
We are glad to have you back and thank you for your prompt assistance.

I am here in respect of one the member of DV 2014 Winner’s Thread, which I will like to make inquiries on behalf of him...

He has been schedule for an interview for the month of July but after considering some certain things about his present job and his family (which I will brings forth to your notice for proper counseling), he decided to drop his case as he concluded not to show up during the interview.

The Questions
1. Is there need to notify by writing a letter to the Embassy about his absence to pursue his visa?
2. In case he is applying for US Visa in future, and the CO ask if he has applied for VISA before… What will be his response?

Reason why he intends not to present at the Interview
He is with family of 5, having a good job here in Nigeria that pays him very well.
Now he is considering how to start new life in USA searching for Job, and selling off all his properties in Nigeria (If Visa Approve).

The Questions
1. Is there any means of being a LPR (Green Card Holder) in USA while he stay and continue his Job in Nigeria?
2. If Yes, How will he start the processing if he gets to USA. What forms is he going to fill?

I have told him my best opinion but I still believe your answers to the questions will be different, also be detailed and will highly be appreciated.

Thank you Madam.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:13am On Jul 01, 2014
Adeboy007: Welcome VO,
We are glad to have you back and thank you for your prompt assistance.

I am here in respect of one the member of DV 2014 Winner’s Thread, which I will like to make inquiries on behalf of him...

He has been schedule for an interview for the month of July but after considering some certain things about his present job and his family (which I will brings forth to your notice for proper counseling), he decided to drop his case as he concluded not to show up during the interview.

The Questions
1. Is there need to notify by writing a letter to the Embassy about his absence to pursue his visa?
2. In case he is applying for US Visa in future, and the CO ask if he has applied for VISA before… What will be his response?

Reason why he intends not to present at the Interview
He is with family of 5, having a good job here in Nigeria that pays him very well.
Now he is considering how to start new life in USA searching for Job, and selling off all his properties in Nigeria (If Visa Approve).

The Questions
1. Is there any means of being a LPR (Green Card Holder) in USA while he stay and continue his Job in Nigeria?
2. If Yes, How will he start the processing if he gets to USA. What forms is he going to fill?

I have told him my best opinion but I still believe your answers to the questions will be different, also be detailed and will highly be appreciated.

Thank you Madam.

Good morning,

No, there's no need to contact us. We'll mark him down as a no-show. It won't have any effect on his future visa applications, although if he changes his mind about the Diversity Visa we won't be able to reschedule him.

No, there is no way to become a Legal Permanent Resident in the U.S. while residing and working in Nigeria. The whole point of being an LPR is that you reside in the U.S., legally and permanently.

Hope this helps.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Adeboy007(m): 10:39am On Jul 01, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Good morning,

No, there's no need to contact us. We'll mark him down as a no-show. It won't have any effect on his future visa applications, although if he changes his mind about the Diversity Visa we won't be able to reschedule him.

No, there is no way to bec ;Dome a Legal Permanent Resident in the U.S. while residing and working in Nigeria. The whole point of being an LPR is that you reside in the U.S., legally and permanently.

Hope grin this helps.

Of course its indeed helpful,
That's exactly my point .... I have delivered ur message to him and he said "Thank You"

Here comes July 17, my interview day to become a Legal Permanent Resident and few years later An American Citizen.

Few days before my interview, I will like to confirmed something.

Thanks so much once again
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by queenpa: 1:12pm On Jul 01, 2014
Hello VO, you are welcome back.
I am a USA Citizen my husband is from Nigeria, I filed for my husband using form I-130  and received receipt I-797 which I sent the form I-129 K3 for my husband and K4 for my stepson. My question is when I spoke to the USCI customer service center they guide me to filed this way. However as I read online the I-129f is no longer valid. Is this true? Or the  I-130 can process before the I-129f or  at the same time witch would eliminate the I-129f. So what would happen to my stepson if a I-130 have not been filed for him. Do I need to file this before the process or can I still file for him once he comes to the USA. If I file now will He have to wait until its process or can it catch up to the I-130 I filed for my husband I really need some guidance thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jigga40(m): 4:21pm On Jul 01, 2014
Good afternoon VO,
Picked up our visas earlier today. Thanks so much for the info and assistance! God bless you for the good job

Quick one VO, do you really know your are doing a million dollar job for free?grin
So painful i couldn't recognize the wonderful person behind this great job last tuesday i was at the embassycry
All the same God bless you once more for everything you have done on here

Cheers!

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:31pm On Jul 01, 2014
queenpa: Hello VO, you are welcome back.
I am a USA Citizen my husband is from Nigeria, I filed for my husband using form I-130  and received receipt I-797 which I sent the form I-129 K3 for my husband and K4 for my stepson. My question is when I spoke to the USCI customer service center they guide me to filed this way. However as I read online the I-129f is no longer valid. Is this true? Or the  I-130 can process before the I-129f or  at the same time witch would eliminate the I-129f. So what would happen to my stepson if a I-130 have not been filed for him. Do I need to file this before the process or can I still file for him once he comes to the USA. If I file now will He have to wait until its process or can it catch up to the I-130 I filed for my husband I really need some guidance thanks

For the K3, you need to have a pending I-130 first. Then you file the I-129F, which allows you to "jump the queue" and get an earlier appointment (because K3 visa appointments generally come earlier than IR1 or CR1 appointments). However, the wait for IR1s and CR1s is really so short that personally I'm not sure why people spend the money. On the other hand, the K3 gives you the option of including the stepchild as a K4 without filing a separate I-130 on his behalf:

A child may be eligible for a K-4 visa if: He or she is unmarried, under 21, and the child of a qualified K-3 nonimmigrant visa applicant. Note: In order for a K-4 who is a step-child of a USC to immigrate as a relative of the USC step-parent (whether through adjustment of status in the United States or an immigrant visa abroad) the marriage between his or her parent and the USC must have occurred before his or her 18th birthday.

See http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/k3-k4-visa/k-3k-4-nonimmigrant-visas for complete instructions.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:32pm On Jul 01, 2014
jigga40: Good afternoon VO,
Picked up our visas earlier today. Thanks so much for the info and assistance! God bless you for the good job

Quick one VO, do you really know your are doing a million dollar job for free?grin
So painful i couldn't recognize the wonderful person behind this great job last tuesday i was at the embassycry
All the same God bless you once more for everything you have done on here

Cheers!

Glad it all went well! Nigeria is a great place to work and I really enjoy Nairaland. Thank you all for keeping me busy!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cute2014: 9:45pm On Jul 01, 2014
Our very dear VO is back!!!!Thanks for taking it upon yourself to do this.We are so so grateful to you.You can not begin to imagine the joy and hope you have put in our hearts with your thoughtful gesture.When Nairaland was down,most of us were discouraged.I particularly thought within myself of how lucky I was to have asked my questions at the time I did and for getting answers that showed that there is light at the end of the tunnel.But thank God you came back.I'm sure others that need clarification will soon come on board.

Keep on radiating what u know best to do- I call it HOPE.God bless u and all that are yours.Good night.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cute2014: 10:01pm On Jul 01, 2014
@Justwise & Seun Osewa: Welldone.I have said to u b4 that u are good ambassadors to Nigeria.I now have another reason to reiterate this.Went for my medicals on Sat,went to have my kids' Mantoux test read today and I asked the lady beside me if she knew about Nairaland she didn't,introduced her to the forum and I was talking about this at my folks' only for my younger sister to tell me that herself and her husband found important tips about roofing houses on a thread on Nairaland and saved a great fortune.Here I was thinking waoh what a travel thread and to some other person waoh what a ?building section.I need to explore your other sections now as I am officially commited or is it addicted? to Nairaland.God bless u guys.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Walspring: 8:00am On Jul 02, 2014
abujaniv: Hi everybody,

Thanks for the questions. Again, we are not going to comment on individual cases. Applicants who are seeking to come to the US for medical treatment have a fairly straightforward set of criteria to follow. They're outlined on our website here:
http://photos.state.gov/libraries/nigeria/487468/pdfs/MedicalVisaInformation.pdf

Keep in mind that, when you're applying for a visa for a medical purpose, you still have to meet all the qualifications for a normal visa as well. (For example,someone might be able to prove they have a bona-fide medical purpose for travelling, but nevertheless not demonstrate sufficient overall ties to qualify for a visa.) The advantage of that, of course, is that after the medical purpose is through you can still use the same visa for normal travel as long as it remains valid.

As for the questions we ask student visa applicants--obviously, that's going to vary from applicant to applicant. In general though, we're interested in finding out why somone chose a certain school, what other schools they looked at (and how they went about doing their research on schools), why they picked the degree they did, what their grades and exam scores have been so far, and how they're going to pay for going to school in the U.S. (Remember, it can get very, very expensive to go to school in the U.S., especially considering the work restrictions that come with student visas.)

Before nairaland was attacked and lost its data, the abujaNiv posted the message above and i want to ask questions with the bolded;

If an applicant that did his/her research online to know more about his school, course e.t.c and also make use of nairaland (https://www.nairaland.com/1482362/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries) in order get more insight of what can be ask (questions & answers) during his/her interview and decided to print it out in to make use of it everyday in order to excel in his/her interview, but unfortunate for him/her the Visa Officer noticed his/her research and likely printed out questions & answers composed by an applicant inside his/her folder along side with his/her other documents when the visa officer requested to check his/her folder.

My questions are listed below;

1, Is research likely printed out questions & answers composed by an applicant are part of items/things that must not be bring in on the day of interview?
2, Is it against the U.S. Visa rule to bring in research likely printed out questions & answers composed by an applicant himself/herself?
3, What are the consequences if such documents are seen inside an applicant folder even without making use of it on the day of his/her interview?
4, Did it attract a ban penalty at all ?
5, What is the general stakes on this kind of issue?

Thanks and best regards!!!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by simplynola(m): 8:01am On Jul 02, 2014
Hello VO, you really doing a great job here. Just wished NL could swap you to the non-immigrant thread. Response there is a bit slow, i understand its due to the busy schedule of the handler. Anyways just wish my wish could be a reality one day soon.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:06am On Jul 02, 2014
Walspring:

Before nairaland was attacked and lost its data, the abujaNiv posted the message above and i want to ask questions with the bolded;

If an applicant that did his/her research online to know more about his school, course e.t.c and also make use of nairaland (https://www.nairaland.com/1482362/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries) in order get more insight of what can be ask (questions & answers) during his/her interview and decided to print it out in to make use of it everyday in order to excel in his/her interview, but unfortunate for him/her the Visa Officer noticed his/her research and likely printed out questions & answers composed by an applicant inside his/her folder along side with his/her other documents when the visa officer requested to check his/her folder.

My questions are listed below;

1, Is research likely printed out questions & answers composed by an applicant are part of items/things that must not be bring in on the day of interview?
2, Is it against the U.S. Visa rule to bring in research likely printed out questions & answers composed by an applicant himself/herself?
3, What are the consequences if such documents are seen inside an applicant folder even without making use of it on the day of his/her interview?
4, Did it attract a ban penalty at all ?
5, What is the general stakes on this kind of issue?

Thanks and best regards!!!

Sorry, I have very little experience with student visas. Please ask at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 10:12am On Jul 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

For an immigrant visa for a sibling, it's currently around 12 years from when the petition is filed until the case becomes current (i.e. eligible for an interview). For non-immigrant visa questions, please see https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .

Good job VisaOfficer, we really appreciate you here. In addition to the above quote, if I petition for a single(marital status) sibling and he/she got married during this period with children. What effect(s) do these have on the earlier petition?

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:31am On Jul 02, 2014
sulley:

Good job VisaOfficer, we really appreciate you here. In addition to the above quote, if I petition for a single(marital status) sibling and he/she got married during this period with children. What effect(s) do these have on the earlier petition?

Thanks.

Siblings can include spouses and children without any change to their wait time! smiley The F4 (sibling) category is nice like that.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kbtb: 12:06pm On Jul 02, 2014
Please I am presently in the US with a B1/B2 visa and I just proposed to my girlfriend who is US Citizen I would like to know if it's okay to get married here in the US or it's a must we wed in Nigeria. I have no intention of doing Adjustment Of Status while here for a vacation as I have a business back in Nigeria so a CR1/IR1 petition will give me more time to handle my business.
Can I get married in the States and return back to Nigeria while she files for me?

Second question, me and my fiancée not planning to have a child but instead have a plan to raise first daughter(3year old presently) of my blood brother whose parents are alive and of course agreed to allow us raise her. If my fiancee filing for me can she file for both of us or how to go about it?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:26pm On Jul 02, 2014
kbtb: Please I am presently in the US with a B1/B2 visa and I just proposed to my girlfriend who is US Citizen I would like to know if it's okay to get married here in the US or it's a must we wed in Nigeria. I have no intention of doing Adjustment Of Status while here for a vacation as I have a business back in Nigeria so a CR1/IR1 petition will give me more time to handle my business.
Can I get married in the States and return back to Nigeria while she files for me?

Second question, me and my fiancée not planning to have a child but instead have a plan to raise first daughter(3year old presently) of my blood brother whose parents are alive and of course agreed to allow us raise her. If my fiancee filing for me can she file for both of us or how to go about it?

You can get married in the U.S. and return to Nigeria. Then your wife will need to file the I-130 on your behalf.

Your wife would need to file a separate petition for any child you had. It does not sound like your niece wil qualify, though. She is not your future wife's stepchild nor her adopted child; at this point, she is not your adopted child. You see, a child is considered "your child" only if the child is your biological child or if she is legally adopted *and* meets the criteria to be defined as an orphan under U.S. immigration law. It does not sound like your niece will qualify for this definition, as her parents are alive and well.

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Walspring: 3:22pm On Jul 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Sorry, I have very little experience with student visas. Please ask at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .

Thank you sir/ma, although i posted that at the NIV section of this thread but am still waiting for response there.

Best regards!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by nkkystel(f): 10:31pm On Jul 02, 2014
Good day V.O, please can I-130 be filed from Nigeria to the USCIS Chicago Lockbox.
If yes, which is faster in processing - Filing within the U.S or from Nigeria.
Also, I read that petitioners from Nigeria can file form I-130 through USCIS Ghana (more explanation Sir/Ma'am).

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bodescous: 11:01pm On Jul 02, 2014
Hello VO,Thank you for your invaluable advice you give on this forum.You really awesome....
I have a wife who is a LPR in the state and a son who is a citizen.My wife came home last year for our court marriage..And since then she has been able to change her driver's licence, SSN and green card to my name and on the verge of starting the spouse filing..
But we got a clue that it might take up to two years and I don't think we can't wait for that time to see each other because we missing each other seriously... She does not want to risk coming to Nigeria as of moment because she lost her job last year she came home and a lot of pending bills for her and my son too fell sick then..
Right now my question goes thus!
Can she invite me now that she not put in the filing so I can come visit her for like two three weeks in the state...I have strong ties to Nigeria which I believe. Am a petroleum marketer in NNPC and also our older son here with me in Nigeria.. Your prompt response will b highly appreciated. Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:02am On Jul 03, 2014
dear visa officer, im writing on behalf of a friend who is filing for a immigrant visa through his wife. he was earlier married to a lady through traditional marriage, the marriage ended like a year after and since it wasnt documented in a proper marriage registry or civil authority, there was no divorce certificate to certify the dissolution just like there wasnt a marriage cert to certify the union. the problem now is he happened to have appplied for non-immigrant visa around 2010, stated he was married and added the lady's name in the application as his wife, he was refused the visa then. now he is legally married to his new wife at d registry, the church and even traditionally. she is permanent residence in america and they are filling the forms to file for him, now the question about his prior spouse arises and he is confused as to what to write cos there isnt any document certifying the marriage nor dissolving it and some of our friends as bn saying his petition will be denied cos it'll mean his marriage to the 1st lady is still valid and void the legal marriage to the second lady since he cant provide a divorce certificate. now he is confused as to what to do. infact i just finished talking to him on the fone and he seems to be getn all sort of advise from pple. thats why ive come on here to hear from the appropriate channel cos ive heard abt the good work uve bn doing here. thanks in anticipation
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:39am On Jul 03, 2014
nkkystel: Good day V.O, please can I-130 be filed from Nigeria to the USCIS Chicago Lockbox.
If yes, which is faster in processing - Filing within the U.S or from Nigeria.
Also, I read that petitioners from Nigeria can file form I-130 through USCIS Ghana (more explanation Sir/Ma'am).

Good morning,

The I-130 cannot be filed in Nigeria. It must be filed either through the USCIS Chicago lockbox or through their Phoenix lockbox. http://www.uscis.gov/i-130 has complete instructions.

The I-130 cannot be filed overseas at all except in very exceptional circumstances, such as certain military or medical emergencies.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:45am On Jul 03, 2014
bodescous: Hello VO,Thank you for your invaluable advice you give on this forum.You really awesome....
I have a wife who is a LPR in the state and a son who is a citizen.My wife came home last year for our court marriage..And since then she has been able to change her driver's licence, SSN and green card to my name and on the verge of starting the spouse filing..
But we got a clue that it might take up to two years and I don't think we can't wait for that time to see each other because we missing each other seriously... She does not want to risk coming to Nigeria as of moment because she lost her job last year she came home and a lot of pending bills for her and my son too fell sick then..
Right now my question goes thus!
Can she invite me now that she not put in the filing so I can come visit her for like two three weeks in the state...I have strong ties to Nigeria which I believe. Am a petroleum marketer in NNPC and also our older son here with me in Nigeria.. Your prompt response will b highly appreciated. Thank you.

You can apply for a non-immigrant visa at any time. However, it is possible that you may not qualify for one. After all, you are an intending immigrant...

Best of luck to you, and I hope your immigrant petition moves forward quickly!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:49am On Jul 03, 2014
Moot: dear visa officer, im writing on behalf of a friend who is filing for a immigrant visa through his wife. he was earlier married to a lady through traditional marriage, the marriage ended like a year after and since it wasnt documented in a proper marriage registry or civil authority, there was no divorce certificate to certify the dissolution just like there wasnt a marriage cert to certify the union. the problem now is he happened to have appplied for non-immigrant visa around 2010, stated he was married and added the lady's name in the application as his wife, he was refused the visa then. now he is legally married to his new wife at d registry, the church and even traditionally. she is permanent residence in america and they are filling the forms to file for him, now the question about his prior spouse arises and he is confused as to what to write cos there isnt any document certifying the marriage nor dissolving it and some of our friends as bn saying his petition will be denied cos it'll mean his marriage to the 1st lady is still valid and void the legal marriage to the second lady since he cant provide a divorce certificate. now he is confused as to what to do. infact i just finished talking to him on the fone and he seems to be getn all sort of advise from pple. thats why ive come on here to hear from the appropriate channel cos ive heard abt the good work uve bn doing here. thanks in anticipation

Good morning,

I think he should record the first (traditional) marriage on his forms, but include a letter explaining just what you've explained here. USCIS might have some additional questions -- after all, they see cases from all over the world, which makes it difficult for them to know every single country's marriage customs. Once the case arrives in Lagos, the officer will understand that the first marriage was traditional and therefore had no documentation.

That's a better option than saying he was never married before and then trying to explain why he said he was married to someone else in a fairly recent non-immigrant interview. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.