Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:57 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677174 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by stdammis(m): 7:49am On Jul 10, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Hi! Sorry about the suspense, especially after all the other issues with the imposter! Your case (and several others) got held up due to a technical glitch -- it's our computers, not your case specifically. I just went in and fixed the problem by hand, so we should be able to print the visa today and it should be ready for pick-up say next Tuesday at the latest. Please accept my apologies for the delay!

I had a guy yelling at me Tuesday when I told him his visa *should* be ready for pick-up in five business days -- it turns out he had bought a ticket for that weekend, and didn't want to wait. But this is why we tell people not to buy tickets until they have their visa in their hands -- sometimes computer glitches keep us from getting the visas out in time. I'm mentioning this as a public service announcement: Don't buy tickets until your visa is issued and you've checked it for errors! We don't want you to lose money! Or to yell at us.
. thanks for the reply, my mind can be at peace now......have a great day our dearest VO

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by meggy11: 8:21am On Jul 10, 2014
Hi VO, pls advice accordingly. Though this is a NIV issue. Planning on using the drop box cause I am quified to use it. The question is Iive in port harcourt. Can I use the dhl services in port harcourt to drop it off for me or I need to go to lagos/abuja to drop it off mysel?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:25am On Jul 10, 2014
meggy11: Hi VO, pls advice accordingly. Though this is a NIV issue. Planning on using the drop box cause I am quified to use it. The question is Iive in port harcourt. Can I use the dhl services in port harcourt to drop it off for me or I need to go to lagos/abuja to drop it off mysel?

I honestly don't know. Please ask at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Adeboy007(m): 9:51am On Jul 10, 2014
Good day VO,

This is to notify you that the Lady i make inquires about 3 days ago (that her visa was approved before she could completed adoption process) has sent a mail to LagosIV@state.gov, stating her Full Name, Case No, year of Birth and also the name of her beneficiary (Husband name) but she got an automatic response immediately... how soon will she be replied back?

the adoption processing will be finally concluded approximately 2 weeks to this time

Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:53am On Jul 10, 2014
Adeboy007: Good day VO,

This is to notify you that the Lady i make inquires about 3 days ago (that her visa was approved before she could completed adoption process) has sent a mail to LagosIV@state.gov, stating her Full Name, Case No, year of Birth and also the name of her beneficiary (Husband name) but she got an automatic responds immediately... how soon will she be reply back?

the adoption processing will be finally concluded approximately 2 weeks to this time

Thank you

As the automatic response states: "We hope that you will find your answer below, but we will respond to your query in two business days."
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pepson: 2:07pm On Jul 10, 2014
VisaOfficer:

The person can travel outside his country, but he won't be interviewed for the sibling visa until his case is current.

Hello VO, another question popped into my mind,should in case the consular officer entered an ineligibility into my record, what are the steps to be followed or what can be done by me for this situation to be fixed?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by wavecase: 2:26pm On Jul 10, 2014
Good day VO, i had my dv 2014 interview on 23rd of June and got an approval to pick up my visa in 2weeks. But then, on 25th, i got a call from the embassy that it won't be ready on the said date and that its under admin processing now and so does the visa status check says every time i check it.. this bothers me a lot pls what could be the reason and what should i expect?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:41pm On Jul 10, 2014
pepson:

Hello VO, another question popped into my mind,should in case the consular officer entered an ineligibility into my record, what are the steps to be followed or what can be done by me for this situation to be fixed?

If there's an ineligibility in the system, the Consular officer will explain how to apply for a waiver when you come for your interview.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:42pm On Jul 10, 2014
wavecase: Good day VO, i had my dv 2014 interview on 23rd of June and got an approval to pick up my visa in 2weeks. But then, on 25th, i got a call from the embassy that it won't be ready on the said date and that its under admin processing now and so does the visa status check says every time i check it.. this bothers me a lot pls what could be the reason and what should i expect?

I can't speculate as to the reason, because I don't know which case is yours. You might send us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov so we know which case to look into.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rastery: 3:14pm On Jul 10, 2014
@visa officer thanks for the good jobs you are doing here,pls help me out on this issue;while filling my entry form for DV2015 I entered high school no diploma as at then nov 2013, though I graduated in 2012 with a distinction in business admin and management at national diploma level but there was no proof in form of certificate as at entry time.now that I have been selected and about to fill form ds260 can I add my national diploma to my educational qualification and hope i Won't be penalised for that cos my certificate is ready and I have it at hand,thanks for your prompt reply!!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:38pm On Jul 10, 2014
rastery: @visa officer thanks for the good jobs you are doing here,pls help me out on this issue;while filling my entry form for DV2015 I entered high school no diploma as at then nov 2013, though I graduated in 2012 with a distinction in business admin and management at national diploma level but there was no proof in form of certificate as at entry time.now that I have been selected and about to fill form ds260 can I add my national diploma to my educational qualification and hope i Won't be penalised for that cos my certificate is ready and I have it at hand,thanks for your prompt reply!!

Yes, you can add your national diploma. You should let us know about your entire academic history. You won't be penalized -- in fact, quite the opposite!

What country are you chargeable to?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rastery: 3:51pm On Jul 10, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Yes, you can add your national diploma. You should let us know about your entire academic history. You won't be penalized -- in fact, quite the opposite!

What country are you chargeable to?
benin republic but was born in lagos Nigeria,I checked their requirements over there and they collect waec also there I.e US embassy cotonou since u advise that I should shedule my interview there and there is no special requirements for civil documents. And if it is later required of me I can provide cos both mum and dad are nationals of benin republic
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by wavecase: 3:58pm On Jul 10, 2014
Thanks VO, in addition, what happens if there were information that the C.O that interviewed me did not notice and i did not notice as well? And will my case go through the admin processing department if i am to get scheduled for a second interview?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:35pm On Jul 10, 2014
wavecase: Thanks VO, in addition, what happens if there were information that the C.O that interviewed me did not notice and i did not notice as well? And will my case go through the admin processing department if i am to get scheduled for a second interview?

I am doing my level best to make sure that all of our Diversity Visa cases are completed in plenty of time for the visas to be issued before Sept. 30. But you can help by e-mailing us at LagosIV@state.gov and bugging us about your particular case.

It's very possible that new information came to light that the officer has to review, and that that might be what led to the administrative processing. But there are many reasons for admin pro, and again, I have no idea which case is yours. Also, I really can't speculate or be too specific in this forum, because sometimes cases are put on admin pro when we realize that there are fraud indicators in a case. That's rare, but it happens. I'm hoping it hasn't happened in your case. Bottom line is, if you can't think of a reason why you should be worried, you probably shouldn't worry.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by iamnewhere: 4:42pm On Jul 10, 2014
Iamnewhere:

My friend also got married here in Pakistan and he is going to live in California.so is there any way his case is being processed as the the divorce suit was filed by his wife after the nikkah. your proper guidance in this aspect is required. thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:55pm On Jul 10, 2014
iamnewhere: My friend also got married here in Pakistan and he is going to live in California.so is there any way his case is being processed as the the divorce suit was filed by his wife after the nikkah. your proper guidance in this aspect is required. thanks

Well, California's laws on bigamy look pretty strict. My internet searching skills are showing me that in California, bigamy is technically a misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in prison and a fine of as much as $10,000. Furthermore, because your friend's wife was married to someone else when she married him, her marriage to your friend is void. And because her first marriage was, technically, fraudulent ("a paper marriage with some guy for the purpose of bringing him into states''), that just makes everything worse. She could try to get her first marriage annulled, I guess, but she'd be running the risk of being caught out for being an accomplice to immigration fraud.

So, if somehow USCIS doesn't notice all this at the petition filing stage, your friend is going to have a very interesting immigrant visa interview.

That said, IF your friend and his wife have a bona fide spousal relationship (not just so your friend can immigrate, like the first husband) and IF they are completely honest about ALL OF THIS, well, the visa officer will be more likely to assist in any way possible.

Public service announcement: Marrying in order to commit immigration fraud is a crime, and it can come back to haunt you in ways you might not even be able to imagine, years later. Don't do it!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:00pm On Jul 10, 2014
rastery: benin republic but was born in lagos Nigeria,I checked their requirements over there and they collect waec also there I.e US embassy cotonou since u advise that I should shedule my interview there and there is no special requirements for civil documents. And if it is later required of me I can provide cos both mum and dad are nationals of benin republic

Cool. Good luck to you!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by famewo87(f): 6:15pm On Jul 10, 2014
Good day VO. Thank you for taking your time in answering questions on this thread. Like I've asked earlier. This is what a friend got on. |130 filed by his brother when he checked the case status.
Post Decision Activity

On April 28, 2014, we shipped this approved or re-affirmed case to the Department of State for visa processing. For more information, please contact them directly.

For approved applications/petitions, post-decision activity may include USCIS sending notification of the approved application/petition to the National Visa Center or the Department of State. For denied applications/petitions, post-decision activity may include the processing of an appeal and/or motions to reopen or reconsider and revocations.

What is the next stage after this please? And what is the processing timeline to the final stage like. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by iamnewhere: 6:33pm On Jul 10, 2014
[quote author=Iamnewhere]
Hello Sir
I hope you will be fine and in good health. Sir I wanted to ask that will it create any problem if some one nikkah date is 24 aug 2o13 but it was registered in 2014 let say in July 2014. will it negitively effect the immigration case or not.

Secondly if some one wants to give interview in his own language because he thinks he can answer the question more throughly and clearly even though he can speak English would it be a negitively thing too do or is it a good thing. thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pepson: 6:44pm On Jul 10, 2014
VisaOfficer:

If there's an ineligibility in the system, the Consular officer will explain how to apply for a waiver when you come for your interview.

if there exist an ineligiblity in the system,would the visaofficer refuse me the visa before asking me to apply for a waiver or my interview will be kept pending until i am granted the waiver?

on our previous disscusion you said that if the visaofficer who interviewed me entered an ineligibility into my record then probably that should be an error since i was a minor by then and you went further saying that this situation can be fixed.my worry is that,this situation can it only be fixed if i apply for a waiver? because i thought that if the visaofficer made an error then that can be fixed at the embassy without me applying for a waiver. i also want to know how would the visaofficer identify the error should in case there exist an ineligibility? or i am there one who is supposed to explain the situation?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:18am On Jul 11, 2014
famewo87: Good day VO. Thank you for taking your time in answering questions on this thread. Like I've asked earlier. This is what a friend got on. |130 filed by his brother when he checked the case status.
Post Decision Activity

On April 28, 2014, we shipped this approved or re-affirmed case to the Department of State for visa processing. For more information, please contact them directly.

For approved applications/petitions, post-decision activity may include USCIS sending notification of the approved application/petition to the National Visa Center or the Department of State. For denied applications/petitions, post-decision activity may include the processing of an appeal and/or motions to reopen or reconsider and revocations.

What is the next stage after this please? And what is the processing timeline to the final stage like. Thanks

It depends. When exactly did his brother first file the I-130?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:19am On Jul 11, 2014
pepson:

if there exist an ineligiblity in the system,would the visaofficer refuse me the visa before asking me to apply for a waiver or my interview will be kept pending until i am granted the waiver?

on our previous disscusion you said that if the visaofficer who interviewed me entered an ineligibility into my record then probably that should be an error since i was a minor by then and you went further saying that this situation can be fixed.my worry is that,this situation can it only be fixed if i apply for a waiver? because i thought that if the visaofficer made an error then that can be fixed at the embassy without me applying for a waiver. i also want to know how would the visaofficer identify the error should in case there exist an ineligibility? or i am there one who is supposed to explain the situation?

It can be fixed by applying for a waiver, yes. The officer will see the ineligibility if it was entered, and will ask you about it at the time of the interview.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by GiftedHandz: 8:56am On Jul 11, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Well, if the adoption is full and final, theoretically the children can be added. I say "theoretically" because we review every adoption case very carefully, and there may not be time to finish our investigation before the deadline. If by any chance the adoption is fine but the visas can't be printed in time, the parents can always file for them once they've settled in the U.S. (as long as the children have lived with the adopting parents for at least two years -- if not, they'd need IR-3 visas, which are somewhat more complicated but still obtainable).

Dear VO, thanks for this apt response. There is another twist to my earlier enquiry....my friend's hubby is currently away from town after their visa approval due to work demand: however, the full and final document is almost ready for submission, the question is:

1. Can the the wife who is also the Principal Applicant in the absence of the hubby present the children at the embassy when they are finally given appointment?

2. If and when the visa is issued for the kids, Can they (hubby or wife) come back to take them the USA after some months but before the expiration of the visa validity?

I thank you as I anticipate your response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cute2014: 9:14am On Jul 11, 2014
Hello VO,I read the post of Eba in amusement. grin.Its nice to know that u have blended well to like the smell of Eba and able to speak Warri.

Hmmh,my family's interview comes up in a few days.I am the PA whose husband did not fill the DS 230 fom because we felt he may be ineligible to receive visa at this time on account of past false misrepresentation and staying in the US for more than 1year some 13yrs ago.

You advised before the unfortunate loss of data on NL.We definitely were and still are all going to attend the interview together,my question is with the waiver application processing times and Sept 30,2014 DV deadline do we pay the interview fees for ALL the members of the family or do we hold off paying hubby's and await the CO's further instruction at our interview?Sorry to bother you,I just want to be clear on the steps/paths before some Embassy officials get surprised at us.I don't think our case is an usual occurence.Thanks and do av a lovely day.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:44am On Jul 11, 2014
GiftedHandz:

Dear VO, thanks for this apt response. There is another twist to my earlier enquiry....my friend's hubby is currently away from town after their visa approval due to work demand: however, the full and final document is almost ready for submission, the question is:

1. Can the the wife who is also the Principal Applicant in the absence of the hubby present the children at the embassy when they are finally given appointment?

2. If and when the visa is issued for the kids, Can they (hubby or wife) come back to take them the USA after some months but before the expiration of the visa validity?

I thank you as I anticipate your response.

1. and 2. Yes and yes, although if the parents travel to the U.S. and then return for the children later, it's best to wait until they have a the Legal Permanent Residence card before traveling. Otherwise, they will need to apply for a boarding foil in order to return to the United States.

Again, please keep in mind that we review ALL adoptions very carefully, so if there are any irregularities we may not be able to get everything done before the Sept. 30 deadline...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:46am On Jul 11, 2014
cute2014:
Hello VO,I read the post of Eba in amusement. grin.Its nice to know that u have blended well to like the smell of Eba and able to speak Warri.

Hmmh,my family's interview comes up in a few days.I am the PA whose husband did not fill the DS 230 fom because we felt he may be ineligible to receive visa at this time on account of past false misrepresentation and staying in the US for more than 1year some 13yrs ago.

You advised before the unfortunate loss of data on NL.We definitely were and still are all going to attend the interview together,my question is with the waiver application processing times and Sept 30,2014 DV deadline do we pay the interview fees for ALL the members of the family or do we hold off paying hubby's and await the CO's further instruction at our interview?Sorry to bother you,I just want to be clear on the steps/paths before some Embassy officials get surprised at us.I don't think our case is an usual occurence.Thanks and do av a lovely day.

Hello again! I'm afraid I don't remember all the details of your case. You were married but did not list your husband on the original entry, is that correct?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cute2014: 12:10pm On Jul 11, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Hello again! I'm afraid I don't remember all the details of your case. You were married but did not list your husband on the original entry, is that correct?

Thanks for your reply.No,he was listed in the original entry.

He used a false British Visa to enter US in 2001 in the hope of Amnesty/Assylum but left in 2003 when this hope could not be realised and also used this same passport in 2004(brother's wedding) and 2005 for short family vacation (on these last 2 visits he spent less than 2 weeks).On his return on this 3rd trip he was caught at Heathrow on account of the false passport,convicted and sent back to Nigeria.

So when we were filling our forms,we felt some parts of the DS 230 forms that says he may be ineligible to receive visa because of the above situation and so we decided that he would follow to join us later as we did not know the type of ban he is.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:15pm On Jul 11, 2014
cute2014:

Thanks for your reply.No,he was listed in the original entry.

He used a false British Visa to enter US in 2001 in the hope of Amnesty/Assylum but left in 2003 when this hope could not be realised and also used this same passport in 2004(brother's wedding) and 2005 for short family vacation (on these last 2 visits he spent less than 2 weeks).On his return on this 3rd trip he was caught at Heathrow on account of the false passport,convicted and sent back to Nigeria.

So when we were filling our forms,we felt some parts of the DS 230 forms that says he may be ineligible to receive visa because of the above situation and so we decided that he would follow to join us later as we did not know the type of ban he is.

Ah, now I get it. Personally I think he should come to the interview. That way, even if he does have ineligibilities, we can talk about it and see what can be done.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jul 11, 2014
Good morning VO,

Your colleague at the non-immigrant thread hasn't been replying.What's up with him/her?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cute2014: 12:19pm On Jul 11, 2014
Before the loss of data on NL u did not realise that it was DV and u suggested that he fills a form and pay for the interview.U also said that he will be told the type of ban and may be able to apply for the waiver and even travel with us,however when I asked for the processing times that was when you realised that it was DV because it takes months for the waiver to be approved as its adjudicated by USCIS and not at the Consulate.

Sorry,I did not realise that u have answered earlier but my question is;

Do we pay for him or await the CO's instructions?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:31pm On Jul 11, 2014
cute2014: Before the loss of data on NL u did not realise that it was DV and u suggested that he fills a form and pay for the interview.U also said that he will be told the type of ban and may be able to apply for the waiver and even travel with us,however when I asked for the processing times that was when you realised that it was DV because it takes months for the waiver to be approved as its adjudicated by USCIS and not at the Consulate.

Sorry,I did not realise that u have answered earlier but my question is;

Do we pay for him or await the CO's instructions?

Hmm, this is an interesting question. Usually we like all the people involved in the case to pay the fee (obviously), but if it really looks like you know that he's not going to be able to use a Diversity Visa if it's issuable.... How about this. Why don't you come to the interview with everyone in your family and pay for everyone except your husband. Then, if it turns out he can travel with you, you can pay his DV fee too. You'll probably be told that you either HAVE to pay for everyone or not be interviewed at all; if so, please have a copy of this response with you, and show it to whomever argues with you.

I'm saying this because if your husband does have an ineligibility in the system, yeah, he'd need a waiver and it likely wouldn't come through before Sept. 30; and since you know that, you can truthfully argue that he's not planning to travel with you. But if by some chance he doesn't have an ineligibility entered in the system, well, great, if you all qualify, we can include him in the case.

I know this is confusing but without interviewing you in person and looking at your husband's records, I can't be any less confusing.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:39pm On Jul 11, 2014
Sacluxpaint: Good morning VO,

Your colleague at the non-immigrant thread hasn't been replying.What's up with him/her?

NIV sees about ten times as many applicants as my team does in a day. It may be a little harder for them to check the website every day. They'll be back!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.