Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,561 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:28 PM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (217) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (818087 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Tripletmom: 11:13pm On Dec 03, 2017
Hello
Pls,I have a cousin who is currently filling his DS-160 form.
He was previously denied last year,wanted to go on vacation(honeymoon)with his wife who already had a B1/2 Visa.

Before the last interview
His salary was 204k at his primary place of work but does other private jobs.(he’s an architect)
2 years work history at the company
No travel history
Married but no kids

Present status
Salary was increased last year November to 336k after tax due to a contract he won for d company
Over 3 years work history with the same company.
Traveling history SA and Ghana.
Also has a car for Uber given to a driver n makes about 160k monthly.(bin doin dat for over 7 months now)
Stil does his private jobs(really don’t know how much he gets from dat)

His planning for Easter 2018 vacation with his wife.

Question now is how can he merged all dis income together at his interview and in the DS-160 form.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 4:35pm On Dec 04, 2017
He can fill out the field for his salary with the total combined income and then being sure to explain the full story at his interview. It would also be fine to fill out just part of the salary, but again explain the full story at the interview. The reason we do interviews is to get the full story, which doesn't always come out on a written application.

LagosNIV

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by fetrillion(m): 5:49pm On Dec 04, 2017
Helooo house ...someone sud kindly advice me on dis pressing issue.The appointment for my visa interviews is on 17th of Jan 2018
But I wish to include my wife to be in my visa application n apply for a family visa instead..
Pls note..our wedding comes up by may 2018
Can I delay my appointment till den or I would have to cancel n pay anoda visa fee to start afresh...
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by anizi(f): 6:31pm On Dec 04, 2017
Good evening, please i have a question.

My kids are American citizens, my husband plans on buying a house in the Us, but that's on hold for now as we want to find out if it's possible for the kids to go to school in the USA.

Our intent is that I go with them, i have a NIV for 5 yrs get them registered in a school and leave with them every 6 months for a few days and return again. Would this in any way be an issue, would it affect my renewal, is this legal?
I do not plan on working as my husband would take full responsibility of all bills, we plan on paying full payment for the house as we are not entitled to a mortgage.
Our kids are young(8 And 5) and so we do not want to leave them in care of anyone.
LagosNIV AbujaNIV
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 04, 2017
Hello anizi -

It is legal to purchase a home in the US while on a NIV and even to spend part of your time living in that home. The requirement for a non-immigrant visa is that the applicant have residence outside the US which he does not intend to abandon. It sounds to me like you are intending to establish residence in the US. Taking occasional holidays away from your home in the US is not the same as returning to a home outside the US.

LagosNIV
anizi:
Good evening, please i have a question.

My kids are American citizens, my husband plans on buying a house in the Us, but that's on hold for now as we want to find out if it's possible for the kids to go to school in the USA.

Our intent is that I go with them, i have a NIV for 5 yrs get them registered in a school and leave with them every 6 months for a few days and return again. Would this in any way be an issue, would it affect my renewal, is this legal?
I do not plan on working as my husband would take full responsibility of all bills, we plan on paying full payment for the house as we are not entitled to a mortgage.
Our kids are young(8 And 5) and so we do not want to leave them in care of anyone.
LagosNIV AbujaNIV
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 7:18pm On Dec 04, 2017
Hello temitope2598 and Midegoldace -

The requirement is that a F1 applicant demonstrate the ability to pay for the first year of the program. The way in which the applicant chooses to do so is up to the applicant, we do not give advice as to how applicants should present their information.

LagosNIV
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 04, 2017
Hello fetrillion -

You are permitted to reschedule your appointment once at no cost. The visa application fee is valid for up to 1 year from the date on which it was paid.

LagosNIV

fetrillion:
Helooo house ...someone sud kindly advice me on dis pressing issue.The appointment for my visa interviews is on 17th of Jan 2018
But I wish to include my wife to be in my visa application n apply for a family visa instead..
Pls note..our wedding comes up by may 2018
Can I delay my appointment till den or I would have to cancel n pay anoda visa fee to start afresh...
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by kunzle2010: 8:16pm On Dec 04, 2017
Thank you for answering this question. I fall under this category. I am a lecturer in one of the federal universities in Nigeria, presently on my PhD and I also practice professionally as a town planner apart from teaching and supervising students. So I all did when I was filing DS-160 is to give average income as my monthly salary. I am married with a girl of 3years and my wife also teaches. To cut the long story short, I applied for B2 visa to spend part of my annual leave in the US for this festive period hoping to be back by January 3rd to meet my loads of work waiting on my table.
Do I stand a chance of being given visa?, please I need your answer please.
LagosNIV:
He can fill out the field for his salary with the total combined income and then being sure to explain the full story at his interview. It would also be fine to fill out just part of the salary, but again explain the full story at the interview. The reason we do interviews is to get the full story, which doesn't always come out on a written application.

LagosNIV
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Viola2017: 10:59pm On Dec 04, 2017
Hello V.O

I was issued a 2yrs NI visa in the first week of september 2017. I and my husband had wanted to spend this yrs xmas with my brother inlaw in dallas. My hubby already has a visa before we got married this yr. However, his big brother (my brother inlaw) called few days ago to tell us that he has decided to spend the xmas here in Nigeria.
During my interview i was asked if i was pregnant and i answer no, truthfully I wasn't then.
I later took in by second week of october about one month after my interview, the scan i had yesterday comfirmed it and the doctor said i'll be due by mid June 2018.
We have decide to have our baby in the US since its not a crime to have one's baby in the U.S but we must follow due process cos we always play by the rules.
My hubby feels we should ditch the first visa, pay another visa fee and clearly state the our new intention, however i am a bit confused since the visa i currently have is a B1B2 visa and if we are to pay another visa fee for the purpose of having our baby there, its still gonna be a B1B2 visa. Kindly advise.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Naaakua: 1:48am On Dec 05, 2017
Hello VO officer,

I have come again but now on behalf of a friend that is more than a sister.
A long story hopefully you will read and understand. Please and thank you in advance.

Questions and a little detail about her situation. She is married traditionally, no traditional marriage celebration yet but bride price is already paid and all. Her traditional and white wedding celebration is coming up July next year. She resides in the United States and she is a US citizen, she will be graduating school next year may 2018 and she wants to invite her husband to come to her graduation and after the graduation, they will both return to Nigeria for their marriage preparation and celebration with their families including me (because she has picked me as her maid of honor), because that is where our both parents live and also her husband is still in theological school in Nigeria, due to the fact that he is on the road to becoming a priest and next year will be his last year before he can be Ordained. They don't want to jeopardize all the years he has put in for his passion.
The main story is that my friend's school offers invitation letter to present at the immigration to family members and loved ones to attend graduation from outside the country. Her concern according to her and she confiding in me, is that before her husband married her traditionally, he had gone to the US embassy twice (in a space of two weeks) for a conference visa to attend a church conference that the church wanted him and his Mentor (Archdeacon) to attend and the church was sponsoring the trip but he was denied both times. The first time he got denied, he said that the interviewer told him he was too young (34 years old), but the church decided to send him back again to the embassy since the mentor they paired him up with to go to the conference got his visa, they thought that with that influence that the embassy will also issue him a visa since it was both of them that they are sending to the conference. The second time he was told that the conference is not enough reason to be going to America. The ironic thing is that the church sent him and his mentor on the same conference, but the mentor got the visa based on the conference that he was denied a visa. My question now is, since she wants her husband to come for her graduation ceremony, and she doesn't have family or loved ones here to attend and she is an only child. Her first graduation, no one was there for her including me because I had traveled which I felt bad that I wasn’t there for her. She felt so lonely and sad because everyone else had their family and loved ones with them but she didn't. Her heart desire right now is that she wants her husband to be present at her graduation and after which both of them can travel back to Nigeria for the wedding ceremony and all before she can petition for her husband to come live with her in the United States since she is a US citizen.
Question 1:
Please do you think that his previous appearance to the embassy will have any impact on him going again to the embassy since her husband went there already twice, but this time around with the invitation that my school will give to him. Or should she just forfeit him coming for her graduation which will be a dream come true for her, and just fill fiancé Visa for him after their wedding in July 2018 or just fill for Green Card for him?

Note please she also gave me details about his previous application:
The first time he was denied on the 27th of Sept 2017, but the church scheduled an appointment for him (in space of two weeks) again in the notion that the Archdeacon that they are sending both of them to the conference got his visa. So he went for a second interview on 18th of October 2017.
In his ds160 form, she said that that husband said to her that, he put married because he was married (paid bride price) to a girl which things didn't work out with both reasons being that the previous girl (wife) couldn't cope with the church traditions, rules, and regulations. The girl’s family returned the bridal price to him at the end of September 2017 after 7 to 8 months of separation because the family wanted the girl's happiness. Within this period, my friend has traveled to Nigeria, the husband proposed to her, they got engaged and he married traditionally in November 2017 and they are now waiting for their white wedding and court wedding next year after her graduation. Which both of them plan to return to Nigeria together for the rest of the celebration, where both of their parents, family members, and friends are.
My friend's husband to what I understand is that he has to do a white wedding in Nigeria before he can be ordained a priest because that is the only wedding the church recognizes. Also if he leaves Nigeria without finishing his theological school, he will lose his chances of becoming ordained as a priest after putting in his 6 years in. I heard that he is very passionate about his ministry work.
Now my friends greatest fear is that she doesn't know what will happen if or when he goes back to the embassy with the invitation letter from her school here in the States to attend her graduation. If the interviewer would think or look at him like he is desperate to go to the United States when that is not the case. she doesn't know what to do, my friend is highly in limbo, cries and has sleepless nights about this situation.

Question 2:
Her husband has never done a white wedding or court wedding before. She stated that he can't get a divorce paper being that there was never a court wedding involved before or white wedding in his previous marriage. Does he have to get a letter stating that he is no longer married to the first girl (wife) or what can he do?

Question 3:
If it is possible for her husband to attend her graduation if he is filling out the Ds160 application again, what should he do or should he put my friends name as his wife even though there is no court marriage yet until July next year but he has pictures and their upcoming invitation for their wedding in Nigeria, and remove the first name he put in the previous application because he is no longer married to the first girl. Does he have to get a letter stating that he is no longer married to the first girl (wife) or what can he do?

I wish her well and I pray that her happiness will be complete soon because she really helped me when I was going through mine as well.
Any advice will be gladly appreciated
Please and thank you, help a sister/ a great friend in need.

I came back to ask on her behalf here on nairaland because this was where I got help when I needed my husband to come to the United States to live with me and our baby, I am a born US citizen. Which nairaland helped me and I am happily living with my husband in the states now.
Thank you
[i][/i]
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 6:36am On Dec 05, 2017
Hello Viola2017 -

Our recommendation is to do as your husband is inclined. The only way to ensure that your intent to have a baby in the US is documented in your file is to appear at an interview and declare that intent. Your current visa is valid, and as you say, childbirth in the US is legal, even on a B1B2 visa. However, the ultimate decision of whether or not a foreigner is allowed in to the US is not made at our embassies or consulates. That decision is made by CBP at the Port of Entry. They do sometimes allow people to enter the US for childbirth in your circumstances, where the pregnancy arose after the visa interview. They also sometimes refuse those people entry, and then a heavily pregnant mother is forced to re-board a plane for another 12 hour flight back across the Atlantic. You have a much lower chance of being refused entry like that if you file a new application and declare your intent.

LagosNIV

Viola2017:
...We have decide to have our baby in the US since its not a crime to have one's baby in the U.S but we must follow due process cos we always play by the rules.
My hubby feels we should ditch the first visa, pay another visa fee and clearly state the our new intention, however i am a bit confused since the visa i currently have is a B1B2 visa and if we are to pay another visa fee for the purpose of having our baby there, its still gonna be a B1B2 visa. Kindly advise.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 6:41am On Dec 05, 2017
Hello Naaakua -

Answer 1: We don't comment on chances of issuance in individual cases. It is possible to be issued a non-immigrant visa if the applicant's fiance or spouse lives in the US. This, however, is a very strong tie to the US. Such applicants need to have equally compelling ties outside the US to be issued a non-immigrant visa. Only your friend can do a self evaluation of how strong her ties outside the US are.

Answer 2: Customary Courts issue divorce decrees for traditional marriages. For non-immigrant visas we rarely request or review documents. It is always a good idea, however, to have documents available to support any claims you are making at an interview, should they be requested.

Answer 3: All questions on the DS160 should be answered completely and honestly. He should fill in the name of whomever he is married to when asked who his spouse is.

Naaakua:
Hello VO officer,

Question 1:
Please do you think that his previous appearance to the embassy will have any impact on him going again to the embassy since her husband went there already twice, but this time around with the invitation that my school will give to him. Or should she just forfeit him coming for her graduation which will be a dream come true for her, and just fill fiancé Visa for him after their wedding in July 2018 or just fill for Green Card for him?

Question 2:
Her husband has never done a white wedding or court wedding before. She stated that he can't get a divorce paper being that there was never a court wedding involved before or white wedding in his previous marriage. Does he have to get a letter stating that he is no longer married to the first girl (wife) or what can he do?

Question 3:
If it is possible for her husband to attend her graduation if he is filling out the Ds160 application again, what should he do or should he put my friends name as his wife even though there is no court marriage yet until July next year but he has pictures and their upcoming invitation for their wedding in Nigeria, and remove the first name he put in the previous application because he is no longer married to the first girl. Does he have to get a letter stating that he is no longer married to the first girl (wife) or what can he do?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 6:46am On Dec 05, 2017
Hello kunzle2010 -

We do not comment on chances in individual cases on Nairaland.

LagosNIV

kunzle2010:

Do I stand a chance of being given visa?, please I need your answer please.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Garykasparov: 2:26pm On Dec 05, 2017
THANK YOU
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 4:23pm On Dec 05, 2017
Hello Garykasparov -

Please see this quote from the FAQ located at http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-gen-faq.asp#qlistrefuse1

What Is Section 214(b)?
Section 214(b) is part of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). It states:

Every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status...

Our consular officers have a difficult job. They must decide in a very short time if someone is qualified to receive a temporary visa. Most cases are decided after a brief interview and review of whatever evidence of ties an applicant presents. To qualify for a visitor or student visa, an applicant must meet the requirements of sections 101(a)(15)(B) or (F) of the INA respectively. Failure to do so will result in a refusal of a visa under INA 214(b). The most frequent basis for such a refusal concerns the requirement that the prospective visitor or student possess a residence abroad he/she has no intention of abandoning. Applicants prove the existence of such residence by demonstrating that they have ties abroad that would compel them to leave the U.S. at the end of the temporary stay. The law places this burden of proof on the applicant.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by flairlady(f): 6:42pm On Dec 05, 2017
Hello Visa Officer.
please can I select Abuja as my pick up location if I interview at Lagos?Thanks in advance
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by SophiaLisa(f): 9:47am On Dec 06, 2017
Good Morning LagosNiV,

Please clarify. My F1 visa expires in February 2018, while my Post-OPT expires in May 2018. What documents do I need to renew the F1 visa in Nigeria? Would it be worth the the money and time to come for my renewal? Your guidance will be appreciated!
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 06, 2017
Hello SophiaLisa -

Are you planning to leave the US between February and May? If not, there is no reason to renew your visa. A visa must be valid to request entry into the US. Once in the US, the period of stay is determined by CBP, not by the validity of the visa. For almost all people in F1 status, the period of stay granted to you is for so long as you remain in status. So long as there are no breaks in your F1 status, you may remain in the US even with an expired visa. If you depart the US and your visa has expired, however, you will not be able to re-enter.

LagosNIV

SophiaLisa:
Good Morning LagosNiV,

Please clarify. My F1 visa expires in February 2018, while my Post-OPT expires in May 2018. What documents do I need to renew the F1 visa in Nigeria? Would it be worth the the money and time to come for my renewal? Your guidance will be appreciated!
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 2:00pm On Dec 06, 2017
Hello flairlady -

I believe this is possible. The pick up location is selected by the applicant through the CGI website. If Abuja is an option there, then you can.
If not, you will have to select the most convenient option available to you. If you are unable to get to the pickup location yourself, you can fill out the form on the back of the issuance letter you were given to authorize someone else to pick up your passport for you.

LagosNIV

flairlady:
Hello Visa Officer.
please can I select Abuja as my pick up location if I interview at Lagos?Thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by NothingDoMe: 2:44pm On Dec 06, 2017
Greetings VO,

Please are electronic bank statements acceptable as proof of funds for a B1/B2 visa application?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 4:28pm On Dec 06, 2017
This is up to the discretion of each individual Consular Officer. Generally documents are not requested or reviewed for a B1/B2 visa application.

LagosNIV

NothingDoMe:
Greetings VO,

Please are electronic bank statements acceptable as proof of funds for a B1/B2 visa application?

Thanks

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by NothingDoMe: 7:04pm On Dec 06, 2017
LagosNIV:
This is up to the discretion of each individual Consular Officer. Generally documents are not requested or reviewed for a B1/B2 visa application.

LagosNIV

Thanks a lot VO.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by fetrillion(m): 9:15am On Dec 07, 2017
LagosNIV:
Hello fetrillion -

You are permitted to reschedule your appointment once at no cost. The visa application fee is valid for up to 1 year from the date on which it was paid.

LagosNIV

Thanks sir...
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Farrang: 11:30am On Dec 07, 2017
Good day VO,
I am applying for a B1/B2 visa with a new passport (renewed passport with the previous passport number on it). The old passport expired this year but had a valid visa on it. However, since my old passport was stolen with my bag in the US the last time I travelled, I filled the DS-160 with the new passport number and stated all the facts regarding my old passport and visa under the appropriate sections. Now my problem is that my profile on the visa application page has my expired and stolen passport number, which is different from the new passport number on the DS-160 confirmation. Is this an issue?
Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by innominate: 9:49am On Dec 08, 2017
Lagos NIV,

I am a medical practitioner of nearly thirty years experience,and also an MD of a thriving medical practice here in Lagos.However,I have an American citizen son who is a minor,but currently suffering from type 1 diabetes,which we have been managing for some years now.Unfortunately some few months ago he developed some complications for which we have seen a number of specialists here in Nigeria with no improvement.In view of this we got in touch with an Endocrinologist in California who accepted to see him and gave us an appointment for the 15th of this month.But since he is still a minor I and his mum intends to take him there to make the necessary arrangement for him and pay the hospital bills.
We were at the embassy in Lagos last week.After the interview we were both denied a visa base on section 241(b).I wrote a letter to the embassy on my son's plight and what is the way forward for him.The reply I got was very silent on the boy's issue and focusing only on what denial base on section 241(b) means and that we are welcome to reapply if our condition improves.
I have no interest in traveling to America but how a 14 year old boy would be able to see his doctor so as not to cut his life short.Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by NothingDoMe: 11:18am On Dec 08, 2017
Good day VO,

Can a Visa Officer get into trouble for issuing a non-immigrant visa to someone who later violates his Visa conditions?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:38pm On Dec 08, 2017
Hello Farrang. It shouldn't be an issue. If you haven't already, you should report to the Embassy/Consulate that your passport with the valid visa has been stolen. You are not eligible for the interview waiver program (dropbox), and will need to appear at the Embassy/Consulate if you wish to apply for a new visa.

Farrang:
Good day VO,
I am applying for a B1/B2 visa with a new passport (renewed passport with the previous passport number on it). The old passport expired this year but had a valid visa on it. However, since my old passport was stolen with my bag in the US the last time I travelled, I filled the DS-160 with the new passport number and stated all the facts regarding my old passport and visa under the appropriate sections. Now my problem is that my profile on the visa application page has my expired and stolen passport number, which is different from the new passport number on the DS-160 confirmation. Is this an issue?
Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:42pm On Dec 08, 2017
Hello innominate. First of all, condolences for your son's illness. The section of the law that you're referring to is 214b, and it covers a wide range of ineligibilities. Every applicant must qualify on their own merits, and having an American citizen relative does not equate to an approval. There are many countries in the world with health care systems equal to or better than that in the United States.

innominate:
Lagos NIV,

I am a medical practitioner of nearly thirty years experience,and also an MD of a thriving medical practice here in Lagos.However,I have an American citizen son who is a minor,but currently suffering from type 1 diabetes,which we have been managing for some years now.Unfortunately some few months ago he developed some complications for which we have seen a number of specialists here in Nigeria with no improvement.In view of this we got in touch with an Endocrinologist in California who accepted to see him and gave us an appointment for the 15th of this month.But since he is still a minor I and his mum intends to take him there to make the necessary arrangement for him and pay the hospital bills.
We were at the embassy in Lagos last week.After the interview we were both denied a visa base on section 241(b).I wrote a letter to the embassy on my son's plight and what is the way forward for him.The reply I got was very silent on the boy's issue and focusing only on what denial base on section 241(b) means and that we are welcome to reapply if our condition improves.
I have no interest in traveling to America but how a 14 year old boy would be able to see his doctor so as not to cut his life short.Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:47pm On Dec 08, 2017
Hello NothingDoMe. To be sure, we have our own internal policies and controls.

NothingDoMe:
Good day VO,

Can a Visa Officer get into trouble for issuing a non-immigrant visa to someone who later violates his Visa conditions?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (229)

QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.