Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,912 members, 7,802,970 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:01 AM

Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming (19764 Views)

Are Mini Laptops Good For Programming? / Whats The Best Laptop For Programming? / Best Operating System For Programming! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by asalimpo(m): 8:35am On Jun 30, 2014
Which is berra for programming. Laptop or desktop. Serious programming. Is it advisable to buy a laptop (when you just hobbysizing with d programming thingi). Wats d duration of a laptop under typical usage
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Nobody: 8:55am On Jun 30, 2014
asalimpo: Which is berra for programming. Laptop or desktop. Serious programming. Is it advisable to buy a laptop (when you just hobbysizing with d programming thingi). Wats d duration of a laptop under typical usage

The difference between desktop and laptop is one is not mobile while the other is.

One does not need to be connected to electricity forever while the other needs.

As a Nigerian, u already know the one with more advantages.

208 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by asalimpo(m): 9:13am On Jun 30, 2014
^^
10x . I'm looking@ other factors also. Durability (2-3+ years ) , ruggedness. Anything less is not compelling to me.
Keyboard wearg away too soon,
screen being un readable or blotched after sometime just means i bought a fancy toy.
But i hav no xperience with lappies for programming doe.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by ITbomb(m): 1:20pm On Jun 30, 2014
I don't know why people keep going for HP in spite of numerous keyboard complaints, screen and battery.

I'm not saying you are using HP but go for a good laptop like Lenovo not those fancy gleaming box of crap.

I'm still using my Zinox laptop bought in 2011, the keyboard is still clear and firm in spite of hard gaming, screen is bright battery has reduced to 1 hour 30mins after 4 years meanwhile my friend's hp is peeling and keyboard is rub off, battery is 2 minutes.

Go for Lenovo or Toshiba or probably Dell,

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Seun(m): 2:02pm On Jun 30, 2014
Desktops are better ergonomically but laptops are more portable. You can get the best of both worlds by buying a laptop and connecting it to a large monitor, keyboard and mouse when you're at home or in the office to enjoy the more ergonomic and productive desktop experience.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 30, 2014
Seun: Desktops are better ergonomically but laptops are more portable. You can get the best of both worlds by buying a laptop and connecting it to a large monitor, keyboard and mouse when you're at home or in the office to enjoy the more ergonomic and productive desktop experience.
exactly apart from programming i prefer doing things on desktop.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by asalimpo(m): 4:07pm On Jun 30, 2014
@ITbomb ur reply is informative. Thing is the sellers will never giv honest feedback and mor ppl buy hp cuz theyve got servce centers in d country. Didnt think theyre products cud b so crappy. Without feedback the alternative is to learn from (mostly) ugly regrettable experience. To think tht zinox laptop cud b so praised. I read of lenovo havg outstandg battery life.Heard bad things spoken abt toshiba.
My criteria are battery life and durability. Would a 6/9 cell battery cut it? What about Dell and acer lappies how do they stack up?
@seun
i get your point.
Extra monitor,keyboard,mouse
seems essential on a laptop.
But then that makes it more and more of a desktop except tht it is portable.

4 Likes

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Djtm(m): 12:14am On Jul 01, 2014
ITbomb: I don't know why people keep going for HP in spite of numerous keyboard complaints, screen and battery.

I'm not saying you are using HP but go for a good laptop like Lenovo not those fancy gleaming box of crap.

I'm still using my Zinox laptop bought in 2011, the keyboard is still clear and firm in spite of hard gaming, screen is bright battery has reduced to 1 hour 30mins after 4 years meanwhile my friend's hp is peeling and keyboard is rub off, battery is 2 minutes.

wow! 1hr 40mins after four years? Thats cool. My dell's down to 50mins after 2+ years. Apart from that everything else is perfect. Keyboard is clear (No sign of excessive usage), mousepad looks new (I've never used an external mouse), body's still neat (there are 2 scratches on the cover as a result of my carelessness). Folks still ask me "Have you changed your laptop?". Many find it difficult to believe its the same laptop I've had for 2 years (and use almost 24hrs everyday). Apart from the deteriorating battery life (an average laptop battery lasts 2-3 years, yours is probably an exception), everything else is cool.

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by aphildam(m): 10:10pm On Jul 01, 2014
no one lights a candle and keeps it under a bushel.....
ye cannot tuck your desktop in ur backpack lolllllll. ur need a laptop if u are d mobile type

4 Likes

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by asalimpo(m): 9:34pm On Jul 02, 2014
aphildam:
no one lights a candle and keeps it under a bushel.....
ye cannot tuck your desktop in ur backpack lolllllll. ur need a laptop if u are d mobile type

actually,i can't fit d cpu in a backpack but if i really really need to i can travel with my system.
Its a small cpu - hp - .it can fit into a sturdy travelling bag. I can forgo d keyboard and mouse (easily procurable else where) and pack a flat screen monitor , along.
Unpack and setup system at new destination and i'm good to go.
A lil incovenience but i'm back in biz. I wouldnt do this or consider it except i'm relocating some where for 3 months+ ,which isnt likely. Its a productivity issue.

The pro for a laptop was d battery life which from my research isnt really anythg to look forward to - in d long run. Leavg its only savg grace of portability. Sorry, but its not compelling enuff.

A good (peace-of-mind) lap top goes for $1000+
a workstation cost even more.
Incidentally an inverter gen(quiet generator ) goes for $1000+(my range) too (dont know about shippg) lets say $1500 (+plus shipping) , a decent library of I.T books goes for $2,000 (some of d books cant b downloaded via torrent etc) and books can provide
valuable,mayb career advancg, education.
... So in a nutshell opportunity cost of other options and their benefits outweigh the lappy benefit.
For every $ other options beckon.
But money is not as abundant as the needs calling so man gats 2 do this juggling.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by beatzbyraiyub(m): 10:50pm On Jul 02, 2014
Get a laptop that comes with an openGL Graphic card-acer aspire v3 772G/DELL XPS 14 OR 15/HP N7170. All have good core engine design ETC /online e-books and finally joining online programmers forums.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Seun(m): 11:41am On Jul 03, 2014
A laptop essentially has a low-cost, portable inverter and battery system built in. When your laptop battery deteriorates, you can just replace it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by seannopo(m): 2:37pm On Jul 03, 2014
I think there might be a problem with hp laptops bought in nigeria. I bought my laptop in the Uk, its hp dv6 2670 i7. The laptop is getting to 2 years now and the battery still last for 4hrs and upto 5hrs on light use. If you really like hp, I suggest you buy from Uk.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Seun(m): 4:28pm On Jul 03, 2014
seannopo: I think there might be a problem with hp laptops bought in nigeria.
These manufacturers often drop their poorly reviewed models in Africa. Some of them are prone to overheating, which destroys battery life.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Isiterere(m): 11:29pm On Jul 03, 2014
ITbomb: I don't know why people keep going for HP in spite of numerous keyboard complaints, screen and battery.

my HP DV 6000 will be 6years old by next month, only changed the battery last February. Still rocking it like say 2mao no dey.

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by asalimpo(m): 5:29pm On Jul 04, 2014
My thoughts hav crystallized on d power issue. I'll adress it by gettg a laptop and external power banks (1 or 2 for safe measure). Theyre ar 1 or 2 competg desires but I'll chew on the choices until d doubt clears. Thanks all.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Nobody: 3:52am On Jul 05, 2014
Seun: Desktops are better ergonomically but laptops are more portable. You can get the best of both worlds by buying a laptop and connecting it to a large monitor, keyboard and mouse when you're at home or in the office to enjoy the more ergonomic and productive desktop experience.
Nice...
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by dmcdad: 2:55pm On Jul 05, 2014

Haba! You wicked oooo. Na desktop?

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by adexsimply(m): 3:10pm On Jul 05, 2014
seannopo: I think there might be a problem with hp laptops bought in nigeria. I bought my laptop in the Uk, its hp dv6 2670 i7. The laptop is getting to 2 years now and the battery still last for 4hrs and upto 5hrs on light use. If you really like hp, I suggest you buy from Uk.
not MIGHT, there is a problem with Hp laptops. I bought Hp 15 d009 less than 2 months ago and it stopped working like 3 weeks after. It was taken to their office and they were able to diagnose the fault after 5 days(hdd). They've not been able to fix it as of this moment angry
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Deicide: 12:46pm On Dec 08, 2021
Desktop but you have to take power supply into consideration.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by qtguru(m): 1:50pm On Dec 08, 2021
Both One on the mobile and the other for intensive apps (Powerful Desktops are much more affordable than laptop )

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Sheriman(m): 9:12pm On Dec 08, 2021
I fall in love with this Dell all in one desktop. I have already have a laptop. I will get this Dell in future. Laptop is mobile to carry around. Especially, if you travel to another city and you want to work. Desktop can be on your working table at home. When I'm at home I would prefer to work on my desktop because of it very sleek design, ability to do so many things on a wide screen not only that, it is also increase your productivity.

5 Likes

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by EarlOfSaxon: 9:00am On Dec 09, 2021
Sheriman:
I fall in love with this Dell all in one desktop. I have already have a laptop. I will get this Dell in future. Laptop is mobile to carry around. Especially, if you travel to another city and you want to work. Desktop can be on your working table at home. When I'm at home I would prefer to work on my desktop because of very sleek design, ability to do so many things on a wide screen not only that it is also increase your productivity.

A link to buy this please
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by EarlOfSaxon: 9:01am On Dec 09, 2021
Actually in terms of low cost for computing power which post dev needs can be found of desktop but for portability it's laptop.

If you work remote and uses lot of computing power then it's advisable to go for desktop.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Sheriman(m): 10:29am On Dec 09, 2021
EarlOfSaxon:

A link to buy this please
It is on Amazon
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Houseofglam7(f): 5:46pm On Dec 09, 2021
A post from 2014 made front page?

Moral of the story: Don’t give up!!!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Germi9: 5:47pm On Dec 09, 2021
Are are are you normal?
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 09, 2021
Both
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by talk2hb1(m): 5:47pm On Dec 09, 2021
Both
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by DroppingLiquid: 5:47pm On Dec 09, 2021
Desktop of course.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Germi9: 5:48pm On Dec 09, 2021

The difference between desktop and laptop is one is not mobile while the other is.

One does not need to be connected to electricity forever while the other needs.

As a Nigerian, u already know the one with more advantages.
Who told you that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Were Can A Computer Science Do SWIES / IT / Few Questions About Aptech Computer Institute??? / Python Vs Java

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.