Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Honeymoon In Prison-reborn - Literature (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Honeymoon In Prison-reborn (25625 Views)

AUGUST BREAK; Dairy Of A Married Bachelor- Day4- Honeymoon Or Honeygloom / Honeymoon In Prison / Honeymoon In Prison( Part Two) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Honeymoon In Prison-reborn by bookj(f): 10:31pm On Sep 25, 2014
Neva knew we r to start subscribing, Just saw it, Its worth it anyway. May God provide a good job 4u soonest
Re: Honeymoon In Prison-reborn by Nobody: 9:19am On Sep 27, 2014
bookj: Neva knew we r to start subscribing, Just saw it, Its worth it anyway. May God provide a good job 4u soonest
Amen
Re: Honeymoon In Prison-reborn by Nobody: 4:41am On Oct 08, 2014
GOODNEWS!
HONEYMOON IN PRISON IS BACK ON THE EBIAG WEBSITE
VISIT www.ebiag.com to start reading now
Re: Honeymoon In Prison-reborn by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 28, 2014
Honeymoon In Prison (Part Two)

Copyright(c)SammyHoe2014

This work of fiction should not be copied or stored in any storage device without the permission of the author.
Thanks.

HONEYMOON IN PRISON
PART TWO (EPISODE 1)
Omoyemi sat at the backseat with a passenger while Bimbo sat beside the driver. They were both afraid.
“Should I take you to a private hospital?” the driver asked them.
“Em—yes, em…er…no, just drop us at the garage over there,” Omoyemi said. She wasn’t herself anymore. Her heart was whispering the fact to her:
you are a murderer
“Nooo!” Omoyemi screamed suddenly as she thumped up from her deep thought. The passenger sitting beside her had just tapped her to call her attention to himself.
“Mrs Yemi, you are under arrest!” the man said.
“Under arrest?” Bimbo’s mother whispered. “What’s happening?”
The man began to laugh, as well as the taxi driver. Bimbo was shaking, filled with tears.
“This is sergeant Jato,” the young man said.
“And I am sergeant Dipo,” the driver said too. “You are charged with murder.”
“How!” Omoyemi shouted.
“You killed somebody, didn’t you?” the man beside Omoyemi said.
“I—I…how did you know?” Omoyemi said. She was already giving in.
“Before Yomi finally died, he called the police department and told us everything. Now we are driving you straight to the police station; from there, you would be charged to court and next, maybe Alagbon, or Kirikiri,” the driver said.
Omoyemi sighed.
“It was a case of attempted molest sir,” Omoyemi began to weep.
“Evidence,” sergeant Jato asked. “Why didn’t you give us a call while he was trying to force you?”
“I…I…”
Bimbo’s tears came down into her mouth. She licked the salty thing. Seemed she was used to such thing already since the past few months her father was arrested. Now she understood vividly that Yomi was dead. Bimbo pictured herself thrusting that knife she held into Yomi’s belly. If she had actually done that that day she was Molested, then she would have saved her mother from killing Yomi, because Yomi could have died by then, in her own hands instead.
“Please don’t take us to the police station,” Bimbo began to beg. She felt like telling them the news of how she was Molested by Yomi earlier, but she felt it was too early to do so. She would be ashamed all through her life if she shared it.
“No amount of pleading from murderers can stop the armed forces from performing their duty,’ they said. When they wouldn’t stop pleading for mercy, Jato pulled out a gun.
“This is pistol, I hope you know,” he said quietly. “If you dare utter anything more, you’re gone. So Phem!” He placed a finger across his mouth to make them keep silent.
Omoyemi’s world had shattered. Her brain could no more stay awake. She collapsed, right inside the taxi. Mr Jato rough-handled her until she regained consciousness.
Back in Yemi’s cell. He had begun to feel a great pain to his rib. He was feeling a sort of hurt right there. He remembered his family. He saw his wife lying dead when he closed his eyes. He saw his daughter shedding tears of blood.
“Nooooo!” Yemi screamed. He held the bars of the prison and shook it. “I want to get out of here!”
A female warder passed by. She stared at him for a while. It was Yemisi, one of those new warders under Yemi’s supervision few months back. She was still under training when Yemi was arrested.
“Criminal,” Yemisi whispered at last and passed on.
“Wh—what!” Yemi was shocked that she could call him such. Yemi had been very nice to her throughout the training period. He would even pay for her meal sometimes, just to create a sort of incentive for her for taking the risk to be a warder, being a lady.
“Did Yemisi just call me a criminal?” Yemi wondered.
Bimbo had wet her body with urine. Her school uniform had been soaked up. It was a Friday, so she had returned early from school. If it was other school days, perhaps she wouldn’t have gotten to see her mother when she returned, because she(her mother) would have fled the home before her return.
“We are already approaching our destiny,” sergeant Dipo said.
“Yes, just a hundred metre ahead,” sergeant Jato responded.
Omoyemi began to beg them again.
“Please, I beg you in the name of God who created you, don’t take us to the police station. Please! take us to somewhere else, please!”
“Somewhere else?” the two men began to laugh. The faces of the mother and child shone. They didn’t understand the reason for their laughter.
“I am not taking you to the police station before now, but to a place where…” Dipo paused. Jato slid the edge of his hand across his neck to pass the message to them that they were going to slaughter them like ram.
“Why?” they screamed.
“Because you killed somebody!” they said.
“Please don’t kill us!” Omoyemi shouted. The butt of Jato’s gun landed on her head. She collapsed.
Yemi’s head rang in the prison. It was as though someone had just thumped his head with a hammer.
“Oh my head!” he held it with both hands.

Part 2 Continues
Re: Honeymoon In Prison-reborn by SammyO4real: 3:18pm On Jul 15, 2015
Yemi paced about around Deinde's cell. When his eyes caught Deinde's eyes once, it was as if the criminal was smiling at him. Yemi grimaced and left the spot, not wishing to return soon.

Yemi beamed at his wrist-watch for the umpteenth time, it was only a quarter to 10pm.

"A quarter to doom," Yemi whispered to himself. "A quarter to destruction and damnation."

If only they could kill me and spare my family, I won't go into this," Yemi thought. His thought soon appeared like selfish interest to him--if he died and his family remained, they would bear the loss forever. No matter how, the scar would be somehow etched on their hearts while himself would be enjoying in the great beyond the blue, forgetting everything terrestrial.

"It's better we all live together," he opined eventually.

Yemi went straight to a room, a semi-lit room. Although there was no power failure at the moment, yet the room was dark. Seemed the bulbs in there were damaged.

Yemi scrambled for the key in the poorly-lit stuffy room. He got it and began to take his leave. It was only eight minutes left for the job to be executed, else his own family at home shall be 'executed'.

Yemi tossed the bunch of keys at the floor in anger. He would resign. As he fastened his eyes together, it was Bimbo he saw in agony. She was yelling, "Father! Father! Save us!"

Yemi's eyes opened up immediately, then he bent and reached for the keys again. He gritted his teeth and walked out of the room in confusion.

He walked to a little garden at the back of the prison yard. He was not going to do it. Doing it wouldn't save him from the claws of the law as well as his families from the claws of the lawless. He had better remain that way and do nothing so his problem wouldn't get compounded.

Yemi had clambered on the low-lying branch of a tree. He was going to view life from the top elevation, just the way God views it. Yemi felt the gentle breeze blowing on his head from the tree. The birds had begun to chirp hope into his ears.

"I won't do it!" he screamed.

It was fifteen minutes past 10pm already. Momoh had smoked a pack of cigarette as he waited for the arrival of the two--Yemi and Deinde.

"Are these people trying to double-cross us?" Momoh said. "Not possible! Not when they have their families around!" Momoh laughed.

Momoh believed that fifteen minutes was a very big time to plan out a surprise attack at him. He wasn't going to take the risk, so he brought out his phone and dialled a number:

"Yes...yes this is Momoh...now, kill them both, it's like Yemi is trying to play a trick on us...yes...finish them off...both mother and daughter..." Momoh said in a cruel manner.

Just then, he saw two approaching silhouettes.

"Hey, don't do it again, it's like they're here already," Momoh said. He cut the call and waited for the two figures to come close enough for him to gun them down both, but then he wasn't seeing anyone again.

"What?!" he screamed in shock. Then in rage, he began to dial the number again, but the service provider was asking him to dial again later because the number he had dialled was not reachable at the moment. "poo! The number I just finished calling now?"

Yemi almost fell off the tree. A loud scream from Bimbo and his wife had just woken him up. He had seen the trigger being pulled, just for bullets to come out of them when he woke up into reality again.

Yemi didn't need to be told before jumping down the tree. Now his heart was fixed. He must do it for the sake of his family's life.

As Yemi walked towards Deinde's cell, his brain began to generate some thoughts again--the acumenity of force and power:

They use force to get power--and when they assume power, they make their subjects subject to their power. Evil people get fame but good people get tamed. Moral decadence has been the order of the day for decades in the land of the black races due to their race after money--yet money, the love of it, is the root of all evil--and if you hate it you still suffer for that

Yemi burned within him as he gave his thought to the fact that he didn't know who he was actually working for. He didn't know whether Momoh and his colleagues were working for Mr. Aluko or not. Perhaps they were working for another person, maybe the Governor's party, to set Mr Aluko up. Yemi had to jettison the second thought.

How would a party be working against itself? Yemi thought. If indeed they were working for the Friendship Party, they wouldn't have killed Mr.Smith who won their primary election. This must be Mr Aluko Peter's handwork," he concluded eventually.

Yemi suspended all reasonable thoughts and hurried towards the cell. The passageway was dim, poorly lit, so it would fare well for him in the mission.
When he came close to the cell, he heard Deinde speak, "You are here."

Yemi was stunned. The way Deinde was smiling at him now was surprising to him.

Did he know he would be set free tonight? Yemi thought. How come? Is there any informant among the police? Or the warders are biased and perverted? How would he know?

"Man, you're wasting time. Free me on time!" Deinde said with a slight frown on his face.

Yemi's face turned into a grotesque.

"Who are you working for?" Yemi asked in a low tone. "I mean who sent you to kill Mr.Smith?"

Deinde kept silent.

"I won't let you go if you won't tell me," Yemi said as if he had any say now. Deinde burst into laughter.

"I'm not in much danger as you are," Deinde replied and began to get well into the cell again. "Whenever you're ready just open this iron gate, okay?"

Yemi's mouth was wide agape. His hands were gradually going up to his head to hold it in shock, but then, Deinde had returned to the gate to say something more:

"Mr Warder, if you don't do this, another person will do it, but then you, as well as your daughter and your wife would have no life in you to witness my release by then."

Yemi's heart melted like a polythene burning in the flame. However, he tried hard to maintain a stolid character;

"Go to hell!" Yemi screamed angrily at him and began to leave him alone. He began to traipse back to the tree trunk again to think. His heart drummed as his Adam apple danced in resonance. His mind went blank like a tabula raza.

Yemi didn't stay long at the tree trunk this time around. He had returned to the cell, now he would do it, at least Momoh had promised to get him and his family away from the country.

He checked the time and found out he was already thirty minutes behind schedule.

Speechlessly, Yemi inserted the key into the lock and turned it with all his strength. The prison door was made to pave way.

Deinde didn't hesitate a bit. He just trotted out of the cell as if a little delay would cost him losing his desired freedom.

Now the task they had to face was the one of escape. How would they go through all the security guards on duty without being noticed? Yemi pondered. The palpitation of his heart now was even more than the initial times.

Deinde walked furtively. The sound of the sole of his feet must not be heard by a soul, else it would draw up suspicion. He was on tiptoes, looking everywhere like an intruder fond of plucking mango secretly in another person's compound.

When Deinde peeped from a corner, he found men on duty, parading the large compound with their guns. Majority of them had just pistols on them.

Deinde made a swift move to another direction. He needed to get the weak point of the prison, through which he would channel his escape.

Deinde thought he had found one eventually. It was a large passageway, poorly lit. Deinde began to walk in it, believing it would culminate in somewhere near the exit.

Deinde hadn't walked twenty metres in the large passageway when a large beam of light came upon his eyes. He went blind.

"Who are you?" the torch flasher bleated...

Deinde rushed to the initial spot and found Yemi in a corner, frozen with fear. The amazing thing to Yemi was the sudden transformation in Deinde's dressing; he, now being in a police uniform. Yemi shuddered with shock.

"Surprised?" Deinde said as if he had no iota of fear. "That fool has nothing with him other than a bludgeon and a torchlight. I beat him to pulp."

"You--beat a...policeman?" Yemi whispered. His mouth was shaking.

"Any big deal?" Deinde said in a care-free manner. Mr Warder, lead the way, you have the gun."

"The gun?" Yemi said. "What gun?"

"Don't joke," Deinde said in whispers. "I know Momoh gave you a gun."

Yemi was affrighted. How did Deinde know all these things? Perhaps there is an informant feeding him with information. How did he know that he would be set free in the first place?" Yemi was stunned.

"Give me the gun," Deinde said.

Yemi released it with collapsing lips. Deinde grinned when he had it. Then he went the opposite way, skulking.

Yemi was indecisive. He knew he was in for trouble already. If he remained, he would be caught and imprisoned; if he fled, they would comb everywhere for him as well.

Yemi had had much experience of happenings involving escape of criminals from prison in the past. In most cases, the warders in charge had always been made to suffer for it, and that would be done out of court.

Now, there was power outage and everywhere was completely dark. Yemi began to make a move. He would creep out of the prison yard, anyhow, without being noticed.

Yemi hadn't walked out of the corridor when he heard a gunshot. He was scared.

If anyone had been killed, then the case would surely be worsened. Now the bulbs were blinking--the dull flourescents too. The power supply was epileptic.

Yemi began to hear sounds of heavy footsteps coming towards his direction. His heart palpitated. How would he escape this? What would he tell the world when he got caught. if he told them he was acting under duress, they would ask him who put him under the duress? They would be expecting to hear names of bigwigs, but he would have no name to mention--Momoh? Gogo? Who know those ones? Yemi thought, sweating profusely. Perhaps he would turn the whole thing upon Mr Aluko Peter, but how would that help to turn his own situation around thereafer? he pondered.

There was nothing left for him to do now, but to feign ignorance and put up a bold face. The light had been restored now after much instability, but it had come in low voltage, such that the red glow of a burning wood would do better to give illumination than the light coming from the bulbs above them.

Yemi composed himself and began to tramp towards the approaching figures.

"What's happening?" Yemi said when they crossed path. "Please can someone tell me what's wrong?"

They were two armed men. When they saw Yemi, they said, "Did you hear the gunshot?"

"Yes I heard it! What's the matter?"

"A prisoner has escaped," they announced. The two men hurried past him, flashing their torches into every cell to see if anyone had escaped.

The prisoners were just chanting happily as they flashed the torchlight at them.

"*Ki lo bo sonu lara awon olopa yi t'on wa a?" a large voice issued out of the most notorious cell in there.

It was the voice of a criminal who was serving a life imprisonment. They hailed him:

"Presido International!"

The two policemen just walked past the cell, ignoring the prisoners who were as much as ten in number in that single cell, breathing harmful air into one another's nostrils.

Now Yemi had begun to hurry away. Just then, a voice came up from nowhere, screaming, "I saw them! I saw them!" It was the voice of the prison officer whose clothes Deinde wore. He had trailed Deinde behind earlier and had seen him come to Yemi.

"A warder gave him a gun! You walked past him just now!"

"What?!" the two men were surprised. "Let's get him!"

Yemi ran. He knew the judgement time had come. He didn't need to be told that he had to fight with the last drop of his blood to get out of the prison yard, but how when he wasn't even with a gun.

The chase was hot. Yemi knew he wouldn't make it running since warders and police were everywhere and they would join in the chase as soon as he got to an open space.

Now Yemi had to hide in a dark corner. He lay flat against a wall in a confined corner, holding his breath. His chest was denying him a suitable rest as it thumped up and down like a gorrilla fighting hard to control its hiccups.
Yemi heard footsteps coming close. He peeped and saw three armed men walk past the corner where he was hiding. Yemi would let them go far before coming out of the corner.

[/b][/color][/quote]
Re: Honeymoon In Prison-reborn by SammyO4real: 3:24pm On Jul 15, 2015
[b]Yemi paced about around Deinde's cell. When his eyes caught Deinde's eyes once, it was as if the criminal was smiling at him. Yemi grimaced and left the spot, not wishing to return soon.

Yemi beamed at his wrist-watch for the umpteenth time, it was only a quarter to 10pm.

"A quarter to doom," Yemi whispered to himself. "A quarter to destruction and damnation."

If only they could kill me and spare my family, I won't go into this," Yemi thought. His thought soon appeared like selfish interest to him--if he died and his family remained, they would bear the loss forever. No matter how, the scar would be somehow etched on their hearts while himself would be enjoying in the great beyond the blue, forgetting everything terrestrial.

"It's better we all live together," he opined eventually.

Yemi went straight to a room, a semi-lit room. Although there was no power failure at the moment, yet the room was dark. Seemed the bulbs in there were damaged.

Yemi scrambled for the key in the poorly-lit stuffy room. He got it and began to take his leave. It was only eight minutes left for the job to be executed, else his own family at home shall be 'executed'.

Yemi tossed the bunch of keys at the floor in anger. He would resign. As he fastened his eyes together, it was Bimbo he saw in agony. She was yelling, "Father! Father! Save us!"

Yemi's eyes opened up immediately, then he bent and reached for the keys again. He gritted his teeth and walked out of the room in confusion.

He walked to a little garden at the back of the prison yard. He was not going to do it. Doing it wouldn't save him from the claws of the law as well as his families from the claws of the lawless. He had better remain that way and do nothing so his problem wouldn't get compounded.

Yemi had clambered on the low-lying branch of a tree. He was going to view life from the top elevation, just the way God views it. Yemi felt the gentle breeze blowing on his head from the tree. The birds had begun to chirp hope into his ears.

"I won't do it!" he screamed.

It was fifteen minutes past 10pm already. Momoh had smoked a pack of cigarette as he waited for the arrival of the two--Yemi and Deinde.

"Are these people trying to double-cross us?" Momoh said. "Not possible! Not when they have their families around!" Momoh laughed.

Momoh believed that fifteen minutes was a very big time to plan out a surprise attack at him. He wasn't going to take the risk, so he brought out his phone and dialled a number:

"Yes...yes this is Momoh...now, kill them both, it's like Yemi is trying to play a trick on us...yes...finish them off...both mother and daughter..." Momoh said in a cruel manner.

Just then, he saw two approaching silhouettes.

"Hey, don't do it again, it's like they're here already," Momoh said. He cut the call and waited for the two figures to come close enough for him to gun them down both, but then he wasn't seeing anyone again.

"What?!" he screamed in shock. Then in rage, he began to dial the number again, but the service provider was asking him to dial again later because the number he had dialled was not reachable at the moment. "poo! The number I just finished calling now?"

Yemi almost fell off the tree. A loud scream from Bimbo and his wife had just woken him up. He had seen the trigger being pulled, just for bullets to come out of them when he woke up into reality again.

Yemi didn't need to be told before jumping down the tree. Now his heart was fixed. He must do it for the sake of his family's life.

As Yemi walked towards Deinde's cell, his brain began to generate some thoughts again--the acumenity of force and power:

They use force to get power--and when they assume power, they make their subjects subject to their power. Evil people get fame but good people get tamed. Moral decadence has been the order of the day for decades in the land of the black races due to their race after money--yet money, the love of it, is the root of all evil--and if you hate it you still suffer for that

Yemi burned within him as he gave his thought to the fact that he didn't know who he was actually working for. He didn't know whether Momoh and his colleagues were working for Mr. Aluko or not. Perhaps they were working for another person, maybe the Governor's party, to set Mr Aluko up. Yemi had to jettison the second thought.

How would a party be working against itself? Yemi thought. If indeed they were working for the Friendship Party, they wouldn't have killed Mr.Smith who won their primary election. This must be Mr Aluko Peter's handwork," he concluded eventually.

Yemi suspended all reasonable thoughts and hurried towards the cell. The passageway was dim, poorly lit, so it would fare well for him in the mission.
When he came close to the cell, he heard Deinde speak, "You are here."

Yemi was stunned. The way Deinde was smiling at him now was surprising to him.

Did he know he would be set free tonight? Yemi thought. How come? Is there any informant among the police? Or the warders are biased and perverted? How would he know?

"Man, you're wasting time. Free me on time!" Deinde said with a slight frown on his face.

Yemi's face turned into a grotesque.

"Who are you working for?" Yemi asked in a low tone. "I mean who sent you to kill Mr.Smith?"

Deinde kept silent.

"I won't let you go if you won't tell me," Yemi said as if he had any say now. Deinde burst into laughter.

"I'm not in much danger as you are," Deinde replied and began to get well into the cell again. "Whenever you're ready just open this iron gate, okay?"

Yemi's mouth was wide agape. His hands were gradually going up to his head to hold it in shock, but then, Deinde had returned to the gate to say something more:

"Mr Warder, if you don't do this, another person will do it, but then you, as well as your daughter and your wife would have no life in you to witness my release by then."

Yemi's heart melted like a polythene burning in the flame. However, he tried hard to maintain a stolid character;

"Go to hell!" Yemi screamed angrily at him and began to leave him alone. He began to traipse back to the tree trunk again to think. His heart drummed as his Adam apple danced in resonance. His mind went blank like a tabula raza.

Yemi didn't stay long at the tree trunk this time around. He had returned to the cell, now he would do it, at least Momoh had promised to get him and his family away from the country.

He checked the time and found out he was already thirty minutes behind schedule.

Speechlessly, Yemi inserted the key into the lock and turned it with all his strength. The prison door was made to pave way.

Deinde didn't hesitate a bit. He just trotted out of the cell as if a little delay would cost him losing his desired freedom.

Now the task they had to face was the one of escape. How would they go through all the security guards on duty without being noticed? Yemi pondered. The palpitation of his heart now was even more than the initial times.

Deinde walked furtively. The sound of the sole of his feet must not be heard by a soul, else it would draw up suspicion. He was on tiptoes, looking everywhere like an intruder fond of plucking mango secretly in another person's compound.

When Deinde peeped from a corner, he found men on duty, parading the large compound with their guns. Majority of them had just pistols on them.

Deinde made a swift move to another direction. He needed to get the weak point of the prison, through which he would channel his escape.

Deinde thought he had found one eventually. It was a large passageway, poorly lit. Deinde began to walk in it, believing it would culminate in somewhere near the exit.

Deinde hadn't walked twenty metres in the large passageway when a large beam of light came upon his eyes. He went blind.

"Who are you?" the torch flasher bleated...

Deinde rushed to the initial spot and found Yemi in a corner, frozen with fear. The amazing thing to Yemi was the sudden transformation in Deinde's dressing; he, now being in a police uniform. Yemi shuddered with shock.

"Surprised?" Deinde said as if he had no iota of fear. "That fool has nothing with him other than a bludgeon and a torchlight. I beat him to pulp."

"You--beat a...policeman?" Yemi whispered. His mouth was shaking.

"Any big deal?" Deinde said in a care-free manner. Mr Warder, lead the way, you have the gun."

"The gun?" Yemi said. "What gun?"

"Don't joke," Deinde said in whispers. "I know Momoh gave you a gun."

Yemi was affrighted. How did Deinde know all these things? Perhaps there is an informant feeding him with information. How did he know that he would be set free in the first place?" Yemi was stunned.

"Give me the gun," Deinde said.

Yemi released it with collapsing lips. Deinde grinned when he had it. Then he went the opposite way, skulking.

Yemi was indecisive. He knew he was in for trouble already. If he remained, he would be caught and imprisoned; if he fled, they would comb everywhere for him as well.

Yemi had had much experience of happenings involving escape of criminals from prison in the past. In most cases, the warders in charge had always been made to suffer for it, and that would be done out of court.

Now, there was power outage and everywhere was completely dark. Yemi began to make a move. He would creep out of the prison yard, anyhow, without being noticed.

Yemi hadn't walked out of the corridor when he heard a gunshot. He was scared.

If anyone had been killed, then the case would surely be worsened. Now the bulbs were blinking--the dull flourescents too. The power supply was epileptic.

Yemi began to hear sounds of heavy footsteps coming towards his direction. His heart palpitated. How would he escape this? What would he tell the world when he got caught. if he told them he was acting under duress, they would ask him who put him under the duress? They would be expecting to hear names of bigwigs, but he would have no name to mention--Momoh? Gogo? Who know those ones? Yemi thought, sweating profusely. Perhaps he would turn the whole thing upon Mr Aluko Peter, but how would that help to turn his own situation around thereafer? he pondered.

There was nothing left for him to do now, but to feign ignorance and put up a bold face. The light had been restored now after much instability, but it had come in low voltage, such that the red glow of a burning wood would do better to give illumination than the light coming from the bulbs above them.

Yemi composed himself and began to tramp towards the approaching figures.

"What's happening?" Yemi said when they crossed path. "Please can someone tell me what's wrong?"

They were two armed men. When they saw Yemi, they said, "Did you hear the gunshot?"

"Yes I heard it! What's the matter?"

"A prisoner has escaped," they announced. The two men hurried past him, flashing their torches into every cell to see if anyone had escaped.

The prisoners were just chanting happily as they flashed the torchlight at them.

"*Ki lo bo sonu lara awon olopa yi t'on wa a?" a large voice issued out of the most notorious cell in there.

It was the voice of a criminal who was serving a life imprisonment. They hailed him:

"Presido International!"

The two policemen just walked past the cell, ignoring the prisoners who were as much as ten in number in that single cell, breathing harmful air into one another's nostrils.

Now Yemi had begun to hurry away. Just then, a voice came up from nowhere, screaming, "I saw them! I saw them!" It was the voice of the prison officer whose clothes Deinde wore. He had trailed Deinde behind earlier and had seen him come to Yemi.

"A warder gave him a gun! You walked past him just now!"

"What?!" the two men were surprised. "Let's get him!"

Yemi ran. He knew the judgement time had come. He didn't need to be told that he had to fight with the last drop of his blood to get out of the prison yard, but how when he wasn't even with a gun.

The chase was hot. Yemi knew he wouldn't make it running since warders and police were everywhere and they would join in the chase as soon as he got to an open space.

Now Yemi had to hide in a dark corner. He lay flat against a wall in a confined corner, holding his breath. His chest was denying him a suitable rest as it thumped up and down like a gorrilla fighting hard to control its hiccups.
Yemi heard footsteps coming close. He peeped and saw three armed men walk past the corner where he was hiding. Yemi would let them go far before coming out of the corner.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

All About "JAMES HADLEY CHASE" Novels #ones You'v Read & Experiences / Eunice Atuejide: Chimamanda Adichie Is An Extremist, She's Misleading Girls / Who Is Your Favorite Author Of All Time?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.