Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,436 members, 7,801,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

The Day The World Ended - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Day The World Ended (101465 Views)

The Day The Clouds Turned Red (crime Story) / Naruto Manga Has Finally Ended (Links & Spoilers) / This Books Ended My Struggle (check Them Out) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 6:56am On Jul 03, 2014
No need to bore you about data loss, you've already heard it a thousand times.
I was thinking of giving a brief summary but then some newcomers might not follow so I decided to reprint. I wont put it all out at once so as not to overload the senses.

I lost more than half of my followers in the "rapture". So if your name isn't here, do not fret. Everyone is welcome to the show.

Kimmo(f), Joebeck(f), pmc01(m), mizjules(f), Nostradamus, Solphiequeen(f), white mosquito(f), spicyuzo(m), 2bey(m), 9slick(m), slimfredo(m), Bertadayz(f), omowolewa, nu-well(m), sammyhoe, miss.terious(f), ANDREW2EIC(m), imohcyril(m), shegzi(m), flames77(m), t_time(m), straneur(m), PoetWritefield(m), Mr Ben Sun, Layiwoo(m), Mistically(f), KabukiSensei(m), Jayses(m), Brite02(m), eyezik3(m), Mutaino7(m), Professor D.(m), mZ sleeq(f), drollster, adepink(f), fab_nikky(f), Law-confessor, Oluwason(m), larrysun, coonax(f), Wealthyone(f), seundex(m), ivyy(f), Mighty Fortress, seankay(m), Ishilove, JeffreyJamez(m), matthew briggs, standd, mumZ, candy, sexy sapphire, nimen, xplicity1, 3dimension, jumaiM, damex333, oluwason, c'est moi, pastor olu T, cold faya, et al.

YOu are all welcome.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Day The World Ended by straneur(m): 7:00am On Jul 03, 2014
Present Mr Royver
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 7:06am On Jul 03, 2014
All rights reserved.
Copy this and I will sue you. I'm serious. Ask Mr Jamen Nnamdi.
A Royveruniverse production.

4 Likes

Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 7:06am On Jul 03, 2014
My hands are shaking so bad.

Okay. Okay. Dad says I should calm down, I'm no use to anyone if I'm screaming all over the place. Moreover screaming seems to attract more ofthem.

Tayo has just been killed! Tayo!!!

Calm. I'm calm. I'm calm.

Okay. Dad says I should write what I'm seeing. That I should pretend I'm not even here right now. That if I don't write there would be no record of what happened and it would all have been for nothing.

But how do I start? How do I concentrate in all this madness?

My senior bro just came in. There's blood all over him but he doesn't seem to be hurt. He quickly allays dad's fears...the blood is from the others still in the field. My mom is out of the kitchen and briefly hugs senior bro, blood and dirt and all. She's telling dad that the hot oil and hot water are ready. If they try to break through the barricaded windows, we'll bath them in it. There's an excitement in her eyes. Nothing like I've ever seen before. Who knew mom herself had a dark side? Dad is a military man so I can understand him taking all that is going on without breaking a sweat but mom? Sweet mommie?

I'm not making sense. I'm not making any sense!

Let me try again...

Hello. My name is temitope Richards. My parents are Mr and Mrs Yinka Richards. We reside at what used to be no. 12 Wednesday street, off Macaulay junction in Offa, Kwara state. Of course, since after the earthquake our 'street' is more like a hilltop now. Our house was the only one left standing after the incident, mainly because dad fortified the foundation a few years ago and our house isn't a high rise one like Chief Akpati's own. His house just fell over like a stack of cards and there were no survivors. Of course no-one in Nigeria built houses with the mind that there would be earthquakes, in fact we had never experienced any real earthquake in this country until last week...

Dad is smiling at me. He's happy that I'm calmer now. He is bleeding from his left cheek but I don't think he notices it. Deji has gone to bring in more fuel from the filling station nearby. He's very brave. He says fuel is going to be like money in the months to come...if we survive this last tear. He likes calling the great earthquakes 'tears.' Mum has backed baby with her wrapper and is pointing dad's other rifle out the window. She doesn't want them sneaking up on us. Initially we thought our only house surviving the quake was a blessing but now it has become a nightmare. It attracts them...

Another quake has started. I'm getting used to the rocking motion, like the whole earth is shaking from side to side and the only thing you can do is lay flat on the ground and hope and pray that the ground does not open up beneath you. That's the worst of all. That's what killed most of the people in my school.
Teachers...classmates...a few of us survived because we were foolish enough to climb a tree when the quake started. It was a dangerous place to be, the tree, and I remember our geography teacher screaming at us to come down and lie flat on the field. He was still shouting when the field opened up beneath him and he and the others fell to the depths. I can still hear their screams...their voices echoing from the depths and then sudden silence.

NEPA has brought the light. Dad immediately tunes to CNN. Reception isn't good and sound is completely gone but we can read the headlines.

"Breaking news...South America continent vanishes...millions of lives lost..."

The screen is filled with horrible pictures of floating bodies and debris floating in an endless sea of where used to be the vast land that was south america.Helicopters fill the air. The president of the united States is making a statement. I wonder if they won't be too busy handling their own problems to bring relief to Nigeria.I wonder what our President is doing about this.

Dad was right. I'm much calmer now. The sound of screams and gunshots and explosions outside have died down to a bare minimum, at least in mind. So I'm going to keep on writing. Today I'm not going to worry how we are going to survive, what Aso rock intends to do. I'm not going to bother about the bleak news on TV or whether i'll see Sola again. I'm not even going to think about those people that burst into ashes just before all this began, leaving behind only their clothes.

Today I'm simply going to concentrate on telling you How the World Ended.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 7:07am On Jul 03, 2014
You are welcome straneur.

Please mods, I once posted three times in a row and was banned by antispambot. Pls in case you see a hidden post after this its me oh. Unban me biko.
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 7:14am On Jul 03, 2014
[size=14pt]DAY 7: WARNING SIGNS[/size]

Its 7am in the morning of Tuesday last week. Why Tuesday? I don’t know. Who knows anything about these things? All I know is it all started on this day. Well, maybe not at the beginning of the day…

I’m rambling.

The important thing is I woke up as I usually do, alone in my room and grumbling about how quickly the morning had come. I am a bit of a late-riser so my mom always ensured that an alarm clock was hidden somewhere in my room, far away from arm’s reach so that I couldn’t smash it when it started its annoying ringing. Why the person who invented school decided classes should begin by eight o’clock is beyond me.
Anyway I grudgingly woke up as usual and went downstairs to brush my mouth and drive my elder brothers out of the bathroom so I could use it. They always found a way to get in there before I did. It could be because they were always waking up before me. And they wasted so much time in the bath too; anyone would think they were girls, the way they took their time in there. Of course they always protested that I was the one who hogged the toilet but that wasn’t true. I simply did what girls did. They are boys and don’t understand a girl’s needs.

On this particular day it was only Deji that was in the bathroom. Deji is my immediate elder brother. He’s eighteen years old, tall for his age and chocolate brown in colour. He just recently started growing facial hair and simply refused to keep quiet about it. He combed it, rubbed cream on it, and brushed it almost every day. I didn’t really know what all the fuss was about; it’s only a few tufts of hair beneath his chin.

Deji is handsome. At least that’s what my friends tell me, I don’t know what they see in him. True, he resembles my mom in a strange, masculine sort of way and my mom is pretty (yes she is, no bias). However as far as I’m concerned he’s mostly annoying, especially when he tries to argue with me about why he should remain in the bathroom another five minutes, like he was trying to do now as I confronted him.

“I haven’t brushed my teeth,” He said, because he knew I was about to protest.

“Brush it in the kitchen; I need to use the toilet now!” I replied. “I knew I was being petty but that’s how I got things done my way in this house.”

“Look, don’t start your wahala this morning oh,” he admonished. “I don’t have power for you right now.”

“Then shift!” I said, pushing him out of the way as I shoved my way in. He grabbed my hair and I screamed enough for Mom who was already busy in the kitchen to shout out “What’s going on there? Temi? Are you awake?”

“You are lucky,” Deji said letting go as I stuck out my tongue rudely at him. I knew mum would cast her vote in my favor if she was brought into the argument. Deji knew this too and that’s why he had let me go. Mum was very particular about me ‘having my own space’ since I turned sixteen last month. It was she who had insisted that I be moved into my own room and be given the privilege of the bathroom anytime I wanted in case I needed to dispose of what she called my womanly possessions. I had started seeing my menses a few months ago, a little late compared to my friends but I hadn’t really minded. It’s not as if I was looking forward to the event with gleeful anticipation. The day it finally happened I was miserable but mum was prepared and had everything ready that I needed. I couldn’t imagine spending the rest of my years wearing pads at certain times of the month, but mum said I’d get used to it. She was very excited about the whole thing and told me I was now a complete woman. She even announced it in front of my brothers and father much to my extreme embarrassment. I was mortified. But mum made up for it by listing out my special privileges. My pouting had slowly turned to grinning as I saw the boys’ faces grow dark at the mention of my bathroom privileges and my very own room.

I entered the bathroom and shut the door behind me, locking it with the key. I brushed my mouth and rinsed, then took of my night gown and had my bath. I mixed the water so it would be hot on my skin as the night before had been a cold one. I had gone to bed early, hoping to wake up in the middle of the night to do some reading, and as the weather was very hot at the time, I had put on a light nightie and turned on the ceiling fan to number four speed before going to bed. Strangely enough I had woken up shivering from the intense cold blowing in through the window, and it was all I could do to struggle out of bed to turn off the fan before groggily going back to sleep. The air had been cold and dry, as if someone had suddenly sucked all the warmth out of the Earth. It was so cold that I couldn’t get out of bed all through the night and had woken up this morning feeling stiff and bleary eyed, and dreaming of a nice hot bath before school.

Now I stood Unclad in the shower as I watched beads of water settle on my glistening skin. I turned sideways and viewed myself in the full length bathroom mirror hung beside the door.

I am a fair skinned girl, kind of thin and proud of it. My hair had been threaded into an intricate design of three flower petals, diligently made the day before by my mum. Our secondary school wouldn’t allow me perm it, not until I reached SS3 which would have been in the next six months. I had permed my hair twice before then, both times at Christmas for the last two years. I always got rid of the perm just before the resumption of school and envied those SS3 seniors who carried their permed hair about the classrooms with an air of pride. I couldn’t wait to be like them and watch my hair flow down my shoulders…

I daresay that I am pretty. At least most of the boys in my class think so or else I wouldn’t have won Miss Cinderella for two years running. Arnold, the labor prefect, says he can’t get enough of my sparkly eyes and perfectly white teeth and I smile at him in appreciation of his comments though I wouldn’t touch him with a two feet pole. He looks too much like a hairy gorilla to me.
My bosoms aren’t big enough. I don’t think they are. I asked mum severally for drugs to enhance their size but she just kept on laughing at me and telling me not to worry. But I do. Or did. I worry about worse things these days.

My hips are great. My bum is great. The perfect shape for a thin person like me, they curve out just enough to make the boys’ heads turn. I used to relish it when I pass a group of them on the corridor and they would pause their conversation long after I had cat-walked past them to check me out. I loved the attention; I just wished my front was as impressive as my back.

A thunderous pounding on the bathroom door knocked me out of myself appraisal and I confidently called out to know who it was.

“It’s me, Ayo. Come out.”

Ayo is our eldest. He is 23years old and a bit scary at times. He is a no-nonsense, quiet kind of fellow, tall and muscular, always doing push-ups and carrying weights in the backyard as if preparing for war. My dad is very proud of him and wants him to pursue a military career after the university. I tease him occasionally when he is in a good mood but most of the time I keep out of his way. I have heard stories about him in the university. Stories I don’t want to believe.

I hurried up and finished bathing and tying my towel round my chest I opened the door- and almost ran into him.

8 Likes

Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 7:21am On Jul 03, 2014
“Good morning bro.” I said carefully.

“Good morning. Are you through?” He’s the tallest of all of us and even though he is my brother he still manages to send a chill down my spine anytime he stares at me with those cold eyes of his.

“Yes, thanks.” I reply and quickly began to move out of his way when he grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

“What are you thanking me for?” He asked, a gentle smile playing on his lips. I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out. He drew me closer to him and whispered.

“Are you afraid of me?”

I pulled away from him immediately. “No!” I almost shouted. “Why should I be?”

He grinned and gave me a pat on the back.

“Good. Because, honestly, there’s nothing to be scared of.”

“If you say so.” I said and left him laughing to himself and went to my room to get dressed.

Thirty minutes later and I was eating breakfast. Mum came in from the kitchen, already dressed and ready for work. Dad had already left the house and I knew I wouldn’t see him again till 4pm. Dad and mum were two opposite poles and it remained a mystery to me how they remained happily married. Dad was outgoing, authoritative, loud and demanding as far as I was concerned. I guess he had to be that way because of his soldiers but I didn’t see why he had to be that way with us his kids! He would order us in and out of the house, telling us where to go and what to do and I resented him for it. Okay, maybe resented is too strong a word, but why couldn’t he be more friendly like those fathers we saw in the movies? Why did everything have to be so serious with him? His authoritarian ways always put me in a bad mood.

“Temi, now that you have grown up, you have to be wary of these young boys,” he had said on the day my mum announced my womanliness to the world. He had been sitting in the parlour, watching the news on CNN. “I expect you to be home by 4pm straight from school, no branching. Anything other than that and you’ll see my bad side. I don’t want to hear any story!”

“I guess I should stop talking to boys too abi?” I had murmured and he had frowned that frown that looks as if his moustache is about to jump
off his upper lip and strangle me.

“I mean it little lady!” he had said. “No STORY!”

My mum had come to my rescue as usual. My mum is the best mum in the world. I know it sounds a little cliché but it’s true. A quiet, beautiful, tall, unassuming woman who fawns over all of us and always puts our comfort before hers, she is the one that the bible describes in the book of Proverbs as a good wife as far as I’m concerned. I don’t think I’ve ever woken up before her a day in my life. My dad acts all gruff and authoritative but I’ve caught him on more than one occasion melting at my mum’s soft touch or gentle words, being swayed by her quiet voice and clever tongue.

She had stood up for me that day, vouched for me and my good behavior, and my dad had mellowed. I was glad she had spoken in my defense but too embarrassed by her previous announcement to tell her so. The memory still lingered in my mind although it had been almost three months ago.

This morning, mom had made Akara and Custard for breakfast and was just rounding up on the Ewedu for lunch. Deji was already seated at the table and watched as I rushed through the Akara, hoping to hitch a ride with my mum to work, even as she bustled out of the kitchen.

“Alright kids,” She said, almost gasping. “I’m off to work.”

“But it’s not yet Eight mom, please wait a while so you can drop me at school!” I yelled, but she was already out the front door. I groaned and hastened my eating. I was going to be late again today for sure.

“You know, you could wake up earlier.” Deji suggested in between mouthfuls. He had already finished his meal and was rushing off for jamb lessons. “That way you can spend all the time in the bathroom you want and still not be late.”

“Stop teasing her, Deji.” Ayo said, coming in from the corridor, tying a towel round his waist. There was a fresh cut on his abdomen but I pretended not to see it as a deep feeling of uneasiness crept down my spine. Deji, on the other hand, had no qualms about mentioning it.
“Another scar, brother?” he said, looking up from his meal and smiling. Ayo staredback at him blankly.

“You know my name.” he said. “Ever since we watched ‘Spartacus’ you won’t let any of us rest.”

“He doesn’t do it to me, only you.” I chipped in, and immediately felt foolish for doing so as they both turned to look at me.

“Ignore the wench, brother.” Deji said. “Tell me, what foe left so indelible a mark on thine thick hide?”

“I cut myself while clearing the bushes at the back.” Ayo replied, and with a small smile, he entered the kitchen.

“The cut is so deep, one would think the bushes fought back, dear brother!” Deji taunted. He seemed to be enjoying himself.

“Hold your tongue, little brother.” Ayo’s voice came from the kitchen, quiet but menacing “Or I swear by all the gods I will cut it off and stick it up your Bottom.”

“Deji stop teasing him!” I whispered, a little alarmed. Deji just laughed, and then to my relief, kept quiet. I hurriedly finished my food and carrying my backpack filled with my books, I rushed out the door.

Our street is built on a gentle slope. Most of the estate is on the eastward side; hence we have a good view of the Sun when it rises. I groaned as the Sun shone directly into my eyes and held on to the straps of my backpack with both hands as I began the 20minute walk to school. I averted my gaze from the sky and concentrated on the tarred road in front of me. It was free from pot holes and had been swept clean by the environmental workers a while ago. As I trudged down, I passed by the big man’s house.

Chief Akpati’s house was a mansion, a huge duplex with surrounding pillars and a gate so big and shiny the locals called it ‘Heaven’s gate’. There
were flower gardens in the front of the gate with little red and yellow flowers I was sure had been imported, they looked so beautiful. After the garden was the wall as high as the walls of Jericho, and on top of that, an electric fence. The owner was believed to be a politician who had left his native soil in Port Harcourt and had decided to come and build out here far away from home. Offa was a relatively quiet town and a few of such people had decided to settle down here, far away from the hustle and bustle of their busy lives.

It was rumored that he had guard dogs who could swallow a 5year old child whole. His security men were not thin and lanky like the local ones but were well built and always wore dark shades and berets like a scene out of a bad Nollywood movie. Most of the local folk kept away from him and the few that had dealings with him were viewed with suspicion. Cars, the likes I had never seen anywhere else kept going in and out of the house at odd hours of the day. My dad had specifically warned all of us to keep away from the compound and we did that religiously. The chief must have realized he was quietly being ostracized from the community he had decided to settle in and dug a borehole near the gate with almost five taps constructed above it and declared it free for anyone who needed it. It had been a success on the first day but soon after the people had abandoned it again when it was rumoured he put something in the water that fed his wealth and robbed others of theirs. I personally didn’t believe it but had no need to test the theory since we had a borehole of our own.

6 Likes

Re: The Day The World Ended by Ishilove: 7:28am On Jul 03, 2014
Royver: All rights reserved.
Copy this and I will sue you. I'm serious. Ask Mr Jamen Nnamdi.
A Royveruniverse production.
I cosign. Sue their peros, their gatos and their muchachos.

2 Likes

Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 7:49am On Jul 03, 2014
Ishilove:
I cosign. Sue their peros, their gatos and their muchachos.

Welcome ishilove. *signals waitress for curried rice and baileys.* make yourself comfortable.
Re: The Day The World Ended by 3Dimension: 8:27am On Jul 03, 2014
Present sir....

Make I sit beside madam ishilove for vvip..
Re: The Day The World Ended by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:36am On Jul 03, 2014
*drives in *

Hmmmmmmmm..... So royver has decided to rebuild his Mansion.... Ok na...

*Sauntering to VVVIP cabin*
Re: The Day The World Ended by Nobody: 9:38am On Jul 03, 2014
Royver: ...
candy, sexy sapphire, nimen, xplicity1, 3dimension, jumaiM, damex333, oluwason, c'est moi, pastor olu T, cold faya, et al.

YOu are all welcome.
Thank you Royver, keep up the good work.

*I'll take a walk now and settle back in when we are on the same page*
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 9:48am On Jul 03, 2014
3Dimension: Present sir....

Make I sit beside madam ishilove for vvip..

Welcome 3dimension. Good to see you hale & hearty.
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 9:49am On Jul 03, 2014
JeffreyJamez: *drives in *

Hmmmmmmmm..... So royver has decided to rebuild his Mansion.... Ok na...

*Sauntering to VVVIP cabin*

My CSO you are highly welcome grin
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 9:52am On Jul 03, 2014
candy:
Thank you Royver, keep up the good work.

*I'll take a walk now and settle back in when we are on the same page*
Hello sweetie. Don't go too far, I'll wrap up the flashback soon.
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 9:57am On Jul 03, 2014
As I approached the school gate I was about to heave a sigh of relief qwhen I heard the bell ring for morning assembly! I was late! I broke into a run but it looked futile as the gates were slowly being closed. Those in front of me were struggling to push through even as the prefects brought out their canes and started threatening the late crowd with it. I caught up with them and watched helplessly as the gates were shut and Arnold, the labour prefect pocketed the keys. There was a loud collective howl as we all thought of the fields we would be given to clear this morning and he smirked at all of us-

Then he saw me.

The smirk froze on his face and his eyes gazed at first with anger and then with adoration and then back to anger again. Two of the girls in my class who happened to be late as well saw him staring at me and started to giggle. He sighed, shook his head and then to everyone’s surprise, he quickly opened the gate. There was a loud yell as all of us late comers pressed our waty through.

“Hey, Arnold! What do you think you are doing?!” One of the seniors, the agric prefect, who was passing by at that time shouted and started running towards the gate to close it.

“Let’s sorry for this group today, another group is coming behind them sef.” He said.

“Which group?” The agric prefect shouted angrily, “eight o’clock is eight o’clock! Meeen, don’t try this next time!”

“Take it easy o!” Arnold retorted even as he eyed me passing though and quickly started shutting the gate back, “I go plant you now if you no take time!”

The Agric prefect pushed the gate shut and padlocked it, staring hotly at Arnold the whole time but the latter pretended not to notice. I left them and went to join the assembly as the national anthem began.

When it was all over ad we were dismissed I went along with my classmates to our classes. As I entered I passed by Arnold who seemed to have been waiting on the path. He motioned for me and I hesitated for a while before obliging him.

“Why did you come late?” he asked

“Personal stuff.”I replied simply staring him straight in the eye. He smiled.

“You overslept didn’t you? That night cold caught everybody by surprise. I heard it was even on CNN news this morning during their weather
forecast, like it was felt worldwide!”

I said nothing. All I could think of was, why is this gorilla talking to me?

“That yeye Samuel is always forming boss, because they made him agric prefect nobody will hear word again! But I can handle him as I’m sure you saw.”

“Erm, okay, can I go now?” I said. “People are beginning to stare.”

He looked around him suddenly and looked very mortified. I couldn’t care less, I just wanted out of this conversation which as far as I was concerned was a waste of my time. He was looking at me with his mouth opena nad closeing and I was going to make a remark about insects flying in when I heard a shriek and a giggle behind me.

Sola and Bimpe

Lord no.

Sola and Bimpe were my best friends in school; or my worst enemies. It depended on the weather mostly. Sola was easy and outgoing with an almost manly voice and disposition, ready to challenge any boy any day, which of course made her a favorite among the boys. Bimpe was more reserved with a high pitched shriek voice that reminded me of a bird caught in a trap. Both lived on the other side of the slope leading to our street and usually we all went home together. Now that they were involved in this matter I would never hear the end of it.

I felt Sola’s arm go round my waist from behind. “Ha, Prefect Arnold, thank you for helping Temi through the gate today oh.

“We heard of your confrontation with Samuel.” Bimpe said in her shrieky voice. “He’s shouting that he’ll report you to the headmaster.”

“They can’t do anything, how many minutes late were they?” Arnold thundered and my friends nodded vigorously in support. “I’m not afraid jo.”

“Thank you so much once again, oya lets take Temi in before she’s late for class as well, or do you two have unfinished business?” Sola said mischievously.

Arnold grunted and backed out of the way and my giggling girls carried me into the class.

“He’s hot!” Sola whispered.

“And smelly, like a gorilla.” I retorted.

“What? Don’t you know the gorilla types are the most loyal?” Bimpe shrieked and we both shushed her immediately. The class was quite noisy though with people finding their seats and talking with friends and so nobody heard her.

“Bring that your metallic voice down a notch!” I whispered harshly.

“Sorry, but it’s true.” Bimpe continued on a much lower key. “Would you rather be struggling for the headboy’s attention with the other girls?”

“Except me!” Sola said.

“And me!” I joined in.”Head boy isn’t so hot jo. Because his father lives abroad that’s why many of the girls won’t let him rest.”

“Well, I think head boy is adorable!” Bimpe shrieked again then covered her mouth with her hands, giggling.

“I sorry for you.” I retorted and then we all sat up as the Mathematics teacher came into the class.

The rest of the day passed by quickly. I avoided Arnold as much as possible which turned out to be a bit difficult, he seemed to be almost everywhere I went. I sincerely hoped he was alright. Sola and Bimpe kept ribbing me about him on every occasion till I felt like drowning them in the school pond. As the last school bell rang Bimpe and I grabbed our bags and headed towards the main gate where we met sola.She had previously gone to the library. Shoal had a thing for books in her spare time that I just didn’t understand.

“I was reading ‘Treasure Island’!” She exclaimed as if someone had bought her a meal. “I’m iin chapter three, the part where…”

“Yeah, yeah, spare us the details.” I said waving her protests aside. “We have to start moving before this rain starts.”

The weather had suddenly changed for the worse. Where it was sunny and hot a while ago it had suddenly become cloudy and dark and very
cold and windy. I gathered my skirt about me as the other students started to run. Those that had cars jumped in and laughed at those of us without any. I wished my dad could take a cue and come and pick me up, but on second thought decided it was better to walk home. He would definitely have something to complain about if he came.

“This rain is not going to fall jo, it just looks cloudy and, brrrrrr, cold!” Bimpe said and sola nodded.

“All the same, let’s start going.” I said and moved forward only to bump against something, or someone solid.

I took a step back and there standing in front of me was Adonis himself! Not too tall, not too thick, with a well cultured moustache that joined with the bear on his chin in a thin, meticulous line, and a smile that could melt the stoniest of hearts, was the school headboy.

“Hi.” He said, grinning.

“I’m Temitope” I found myself saying and then realized he hadn’t asked for my name. Sola and Bimpe just gawked.

“I know who you are Temitope, may I call you Temi?” he said. He’s voice had just cracked and was a very rich treble. It sent shivers down my spine that were very different from the one my elder brother had elicited earlier this morning.

“Yes you may.” I responded quietly.

“I heard you caused a bit of a commotion this morning at the school gate. Not that anybody is saying it was your fault, but I happen to specifically know that Arnold has a soft spot for you. He confessed to me that he was trying to cut you some slack. Of course I admonished him immediately. We prefects can’t all start bending rules just because someone we fancy is involved, right?”

“No sir.” I said.

“My name is Dare.”

“Yes sir. I mean, I know sir. I’m sorry Sir Dare.” I shut my mouth tight after that.

Dare shook his head, a lovely smile on his lips that made me go warm inside, and started to walk off.

“Try and come early tomorrow. You don’t want Arnold to look silly again do you?” He called after he had gone a little distance.

“No sir!” I shouted back, then: “Dare.”

“Yes?” he stopped on his tracks.

“I mean, no Dare.”

“Ok, Sir, Dare, you can call me any one, I don't mind.Hurry on home, this storm is really brewing!” And he strolled off.

What a guy! I was literally stunned and at a loss for words. This was the first time Dare had spoken to me since he had been made Head boy
along with the other prefects 2 months ago. All the girls pined after him, he was so cute! But I had decided to keep away from him early on, with the number of female fans he had, one was likely to get hurt trying to seek his attention. I shook my head to clear it and turned around to see Sola and Bimpe eyeballing me.

“What?” I almost shouted.

“I thought you didn’t fancy him.” Bimpe said, folding her arms.

“Well, I don’t! It’s just that I was surprised the way we bumped into him and-“

“Weak.” Bimpe cut me short and Sola laughed. “Just get in line behind me.”

“I don’t need him. “ I countered quickly. “I have my gorilla.”

We all laughed and strolled out the school gates heading for home.

We had just arrived at the slope, the bottom of which we usually parted ways when it started to drizzle. The water was cold and refreshing, with a funny metallic smell to it. We wished each well and were about going our separate ways when Sola screamed.

“What?” Bimpe and I chorused.

“Something hit me!” she shouted and then “Ah!”

We both rushed to her aid but found nothing. She kept rubbing her heard like it was very sore and muttering.

“Someone must be playing tricks on us.” I snarled and quickly started looking around. There were bushes on both sides of the road where we had
stopped but I couldn’t make out anybody hiding in them.

“Ouch!” Bimpe jumped in alarm.

“Look, you two had better cut it out!” I said angrily. “What kind of trick…”

And then it hit me too.

Something solid, like a small pellet, very cold, had hit me on the head. I looked up just as another bounced off my lower lip. I gasped as more of them came pouring down. Little drops of stones falloing and now increasing in intensity, hitting the ground with little pattering sounds like tiny drops of ice smashing into a million microscopic pieces as they hit the ground.

“What is it?” Bimpe said in wonderment.

“I haven’t seen anything like it in my life,” I said wonderingly. I opened my mouth and caught a few of them. They melted as soon as they touched my soft tongue and were very refreshing. Some of the street kids had come out from the fields and were running about playing and laughing in this strange phenomenon.

“It’s snow!” Bimpe said laughing.

“Don’t be daft, it doesn’t snow in Africa talk less of Nigeria.” Sola said.

“So madam Einstein, what do you think it is?” I asked as I tried, unsuccessfully, to catch some in my hand. They turned to little drops of water
as soon as they made contact with my skin.

“I think,” Sola said looking up thoughtfully. “I think this is what they call hailstones.”

“What?” I said.

And then we all jumped as a large block of ice the size of an orange fell on the road beside us.

“Hailstones!” Sola repeated excitedly. “Although I’m not sure if they are supposed to be that big!”

And then we heard a gentle but menacing rumble in the sky as if something huge was tumbling down towards us.

3 Likes

Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 9:59am On Jul 03, 2014
"That doesn't sound good," bimpe said with a nervous laugh.

We all looked skyward and saw nothing at first, then something like cotton balls falling out of the angry dark clouds that had formed overhead, and towards us. We screamed as the first of the really huge hailstones began to fall. Some of them were the size of footballs and others just small pellets. We rushed into the trees, hoping that we would be safe under its branches. It was only when we got there that we remembered the children playing in the fields!

"Hey, you people!" Bimpe shouted, "get out of there!"

The kids didn't hear us but instead jumped around happily, still oblivious of the danger they were in. Some of the smaller pellets hit them on their frail bodies but they laughed and picked some of the larger ones up to throw at each other.

Then disaster struck.

One of the really huge hailstones landed on one of the older children, a boy with a bald head. One moment he was laughing and playing like all the rest, and the next there was a splash on his head as the ice struck and I could see crimson red mixed with water spurt out like a burst melon. He fell to the floor immediately and was still. The other children had not comprehended what happened and ran to see what was wrong, totally unaware they were most likely to soon meet the same fate.

"We have to go and help them!" Sola shouted, and throwing her school bag over her head for protection, she ran into the field.

I stood there, immobile with fright, unable to move as I watched my friend bravely charging towards the kids, dodging some of the hail and her bag absorbing the shock of the large ones she could not avoid. The other children had scattered by now, screaming and running in different directions, yelling for their parents. Sola reached the boy and raised his limp form up, just as a man in agbada ran towards them from one of the neighboring houses. Together they carried the boy into the safety of the house. I watched with Bimpe as we saw subtle movements from the man who seemed to be the father as he tried to revive his son. After a while the boy's limp form jerked and he got up struggling. Sola stood straight, a big grin on her face, and gave us the thumbs up sign.

The hail seemed to have gone as suddenly as it had started. In a few moments the clouds had melted away and the sun was out, shining in all its fury. I watched as what was left of the hailstones melted into little puddled a t the side of the road. Sola strolled back to us, swinging her bag.

"He's going to be alright" she said, still grinning her boyish grin. "The man is a herbalist. I don't know the leaf he used to revive his son but it worked!"

"How could you have gone under the hails like that?" I almost shouted at her, "you could have been seriously hurt!"

“I couldn’t just leave them to themselves could I?” she countered, her eyes blazing. “I even thought that you girls were behind me. What happened?”

“I thought you could handle it yourself.” I said, trying hard not to show how frightened I had been. “Let’s go home before something else happens.”

We said our goodbyes once again and I headed for home. The roadside looked peaceful and tranquil as if nothing extraordinary had just happened. The only clue to the bizarre hailstorm was some children and adults who had been outside of their houses when it happened and were chattering about it excitedly.

When I got home I saw Ayo running round the house, probably doing one of his exercises. He waved at me briefly before continuing. I waved back and entered into the house.

Dad was back, sitting in the parlor and watching CNN. I sighed, no Telemundo for me then, and went towards him.

“Good afternoon papa.” I said respectfully going on my knees. He nodded and touched me on my back, indicating that I should stand up. There was the smell of delicious Ewedu coming from the kitchen and I suddenly realized how hungry I was. I moved in that direction immediately.

“Good morning mom!” I cried, hugging her around the waist as she skillfully prepared the Amala. She giggled and playfully pushed me away.”

“Does this look like ‘morning’ in your eye?” she said laughing.

“Sorry mom, the aroma coming from this kitchen confused me a little. Good afternoon. When are we eating?”

“Go and take off your uniform first and then we’ll see about eating!” Mum said as she went back to preparing the meal. I jumped out of the kitchen and headed for my room with my school bag trailing on the floor behind me.

“Young lady pick up that school bag before I descend on you.” Dad’s voice came softly but menacingly to my ears. I turned around and saw he was still staring at the television, but his moustache was beginning to twitch. I advised myself and quickly carried up my bag.

I entered my room, dropped my bag on the bed and hurriedly changed into my home clothes. Deji wasn’t yet back and had a knack of hogging the television as soon as dad left it for us, so I wanted to eat quickly and gain control of the remote before he came. I rushed back into the parlour where mom had already served my food and sat down hungrily to eat.

“But is that even possible?” I heard mom say from the kitchen. “Has it ever happened before?”

“They are saying it’s a first in recorded history.” Dad replied, his eyes still glued to the TV. “As usual American scientists have sprung into action.
If it had happened here now they will just report it on newspaper and go on with their lives. This country eh.”

“Which one is this country?” Mom came out of the kitchen and went to sit beside dad. “Do we have people that study the weather in this country? If your son had come and said he wanted to go to university to be a Meteorologist, would you have agreed?”

What were they talking about? I glanced at the TV to find out. Usually my brain switches off once I see CNN. If I recognize the logo and the newscaster sitting behind a desk or in the field holding a microphone I suddenly lose interest and either change the channel if my dad isn’t around or go and find something useful to do, like sleeping, if he is.

However what I saw next on the television got my full attention.

Ice. There was ice all over the screen. What made it more abnormal was that the ice was in huge chunks, like someone had thrown a huge sheet of ice from the sky and it had shattered unto the green English fields below. The camera panned to the left to show a few dead livestock, mostly small animals like chickens and calves. The elderly white farmer on the screen was looking very frustrated as he repeatedly shook his head and turned his face away from the camera to hide his tears. I read the words that scrolled by at the bottom of the screen

Is the Sky Falling? Huge sheets of ice crash unto Greenwich, England.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Day The World Ended by Lawconfessor(f): 11:08am On Jul 03, 2014
*DEEPSIGH*
@Last i am here.
Ride-on sir, u're just awesome at what u do. Remain favoured!
Re: The Day The World Ended by Cheriepet: 1:27pm On Jul 03, 2014
dou u didn't call my name buh i am here to stay.

jeffreyJamez for coming without me ama whoop your azz angry

3Dimension dont know what to do with u u forgot me ba i wont sit beside u cry

*looking for a comfortable seat at corner, with my coke*

ride on Royver
Re: The Day The World Ended by Lorlaahlozz: 1:31pm On Jul 03, 2014
where is my name...still following
Re: The Day The World Ended by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:32pm On Jul 03, 2014
Cheriepet: dou u didn't call my name buh i am here to stay.

ride on Royver

Better stop forming badoo.... Better come and sit down now before this place get filled o.. Lol
Re: The Day The World Ended by Cheriepet: 2:14pm On Jul 03, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

Better stop forming badoo.... Better come and sit down now before this place get filled o.. Lol

oya shift b4 i crack ur head...

thanks Jay
Re: The Day The World Ended by JeffreyJamez(m): 2:16pm On Jul 03, 2014
Cheriepet:

oya shift b4 i crack ur head...

thanks Jay

*shifts and hands her pack of chips*
Re: The Day The World Ended by PrinceAdepoju(m): 3:00pm On Jul 03, 2014
Royver, you've got a new follower!!
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 3:25pm On Jul 03, 2014
Law-confessor:
*DEEPSIGH*
@Last i am here.
Ride-on sir, u're just awesome at what u do. Remain favoured!
Welcome law-confessor. How was your day?
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 3:26pm On Jul 03, 2014
Cheriepet: dou u didn't call my name buh i am here to stay.

ride on Royver

I see jeffery is already taking care of you cheriepet. You are in good hands. Welcome!
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 3:31pm On Jul 03, 2014
Lorlaahlozz: where is my name...still following
Lost most of my followers during the data attack cry
But am coming out fighting grin welcome!
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 4:08pm On Jul 03, 2014
PrinceAdepoju: Royver, you've got a new follower!!
**singing: you are welcome in tha name of that loooord****
Please have a seat sir smiley
Re: The Day The World Ended by drollster(m): 4:26pm On Jul 03, 2014
Royver:
Lost most of my followers during the data attack cry
But am coming out fighting grin welcome!

Am still here. Stuck to you like a properly gummed postage stamp. Welcome back, Royver. So sure some wonderful stories are coming my way. Appreciate.
Re: The Day The World Ended by PrinceAdepoju(m): 5:39pm On Jul 03, 2014
Royver:
**singing: you are welcome in tha name of that loooord****
Please have a seat sir smiley
you're best at writing than singing, sir. grin

1 Like

Re: The Day The World Ended by Cheriepet: 5:59pm On Jul 03, 2014
Royver:

I see jeffery is already taking care of you cheriepet. You are in good hands. Welcome!

Thanks boss
Re: The Day The World Ended by Cheriepet: 6:07pm On Jul 03, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

*shifts and hands her pack of chips*

thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply)

The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / #my Life / Tormented

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.