Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,102 members, 7,807,320 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

The Day The World Ended - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Day The World Ended (101559 Views)

The Day The Clouds Turned Red (crime Story) / Naruto Manga Has Finally Ended (Links & Spoilers) / This Books Ended My Struggle (check Them Out) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Day The World Ended by 3Dimension: 6:15pm On Jul 03, 2014
Cheriepet:
3Dimension dont know what to do with u u forgot me ba i wont sit beside u cry
my love u know I can't forget u now. Na person tell me say u don leave me go meet JJ and KP for lanicky's estate. So I say make I gentle for corner they observe u.

How are u dear?
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 8:29pm On Jul 03, 2014
PrinceAdepoju: you're best at writing than singing, sir. grin
tongue grin
Re: The Day The World Ended by Cheriepet: 8:43pm On Jul 03, 2014
You know u are always welcome to our estate... just wait for ur invitewink btw i wonder when u bcame an observer:p

i am fyn n gud thanks hon

[quote
author=3Dimension] my love u know I can't forget u now. Na person tell
me say u don leave me go meet JJ and KP for lanicky's estate. So I say
make I gentle for corner they observe u.

How are u dear?[/quote]
Re: The Day The World Ended by 3Dimension: 9:14pm On Jul 03, 2014
Cheriepet: You know u are always welcome to our estate... just wait for ur invitewink btw i wonder when u bcame an observer:p

i am fyn n gud thanks hon

I don burst u ontop JJ bike 3 times buh I just gentle they look.

Buh I know u will always be back cos na u be my love o.
Re: The Day The World Ended by Cheriepet: 9:20pm On Jul 03, 2014
3Dimension: I don burst u ontop JJ bike 3 times buh I just gentle they look.

Buh I know u will always be back cos na u be my love o.

are u jealousy

JeffreyJamez come n see sumthing...

Hey 3D are u ready to be introduced?smileywink:p
Re: The Day The World Ended by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:23pm On Jul 03, 2014
Cheriepet:

are u jealousy

JeffreyJamez come n see sumthing...

Hey 3D are u ready to be introduced?smileywink:p

I am seeing, still working on believing...
Re: The Day The World Ended by Cheriepet: 9:30pm On Jul 03, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

I am seeing, still working on believing...

lol
Re: The Day The World Ended by 3Dimension: 11:18am On Jul 04, 2014
Believe brother believe..
Re: The Day The World Ended by MrBenSun: 6:48pm On Jul 04, 2014
Nice one Mr Royver...#waitingforthenextupdate
Re: The Day The World Ended by Lawconfessor(f): 7:35pm On Jul 04, 2014
Royver: Welcome law-confessor. How was your day?

Good! I am yet to see my moniker in ur following sir.
Remain Blessed.
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 10:09pm On Jul 04, 2014
“It all happened so fast, and without warning.” The farmer was saying. “One minute I was in the house, watching television and having a mug of malt prepared by me wife. The next thing I hear is something like stones falling and the livestock making a mighty ruckus. Before I could put on me jammies and load me Dane gun, it was all over. I just took a loan from the bank. Who’s going to pay for my lost livestock? Does insurance cover this?”

At this point the man broke down in tears and his wife came and put her arms around him as she led him away from the camera.

The CNN reporter continued. Apparently the phenomenon had been global, with some places experiencing severe hail the size of cars and other areas had blocks of ice falling from the skies. A satellite view of the Sahara desert showed a cool mist but no ice. It seemed the hot deserts were the only places where Ice had not fallen.

“Miraculously, reports coming from around the world have indicated that although there have been a massive number of injuries here and there, there were no human casualties. Scientists are calling it the freak accident of the century…”

“Scientists must always have an explanation for everything.” My father cut in suddenly, making us jump.

“Thank God nothing like that happened here.” Mom said, “Can you imagine what our government would have said?” she deepened her voice “’We are looking into it, we will set up a committee.’ They won’t do anything about it,”

“Well, something like that happened this afternoon.” I interrupted.

My father and mom turned to look at me. I continued. “There was a hailstorm about 30minutes ago. I’ve not seen a hailstorm before…”

“The last one happened just before you were born dear,” My mum said

“-and this one was really frightening.” I continued. “The stones were huge, as big as melons!”

“Well now you are exaggerating Temi,” My dad replied with a sigh. “Hail stones are like little pebbles, they don’t get so large in the sky and even if
they did, they would definitely melt before reaching the ground.”

“I’m telling you papa, one of the children in the fields on Ijani street got hit on the head and collapsed. There was blood everywhere, it was terrible!”

My father and mom looked at each other then suddenly burst into laughter. Well, mum did anyway; Dad’s was more of a hiss and a smirk. I was hurt either way because they didn’t believe me.

“So how come we didn’t hear of it, or see it, dear?” Mom asked.

“It’s the laptop you left for her to be watching film with.” My dad retorted. “She watches films there all day. It’s no wonder she’s coming up with
these strange ideas.”

“I know what I saw!” I almost shouted. Mum kept quiet and dad’s moustache started to twitch again. “You just heard there were hailstones the size of cars on the news! Why would I be exaggerating?”

“What kind of tone is that?” My Father bellowed, sitting up straight in the sofa. Mom’s hand went to his arm and he took a deep breath to calm
down before continuing. “My friend, will you go to your room and read or do your home work! I don’t know why you are even here sef!”

I hurriedly left the dinner table and went to my room. I hadn’t meant to be rude, but my parents laughing at me had made me feel foolish. Just because I was last born didn’t mean I didn’t know what I was saying!

I locked myself in my room and read up on hailstones on mum’s computer that she had lent me. They were little balls of ice that formed around solid particles in the cool sky. They usually didn’t get to the size of a fist before falling and melting back to water even before hitting the ground. I angrily wished I had been able to take a picture of the ones I saw in the fields before they melted. I could call Bimpe and Sola to my house to confirm the story but I didn’t think it would be worth it.

I went to sleep only to be awaked an hour later by Deji’s excited voice coming from the parlour. He was literally shouting and my dad was ordering him to calm down. I got up and cleaned the sleep from my eyes and staggered to the parlour.
Mom and dad were standing and Ayo was sitting on the sofa’s chair beside Deji who had sat down and was drinking a glass of water.

“It’s a very disgusting sight Sir!” Deji was addressing my dad. “Snakes everywhere! They were crossing the express as if migrating to the east…”

“Snakes don’t migrate, son.” Dad said.

“They don’t? Well, these ones looked like they were going somewhere. There were thousands of them! Cars were just crushing them anyhow…”

“You are exaggerating Deji” I said and suddenly realized it was the same words papa had used on me a while ago.

“Exaggerating what? Deji gasped, still trying to drink from his cup and talk at the same time. “Do you even know what I’m talking about? I’m just returning from the express, if you see the amount of snakes that cars have run over eh! And they are all facing in the same direction, crossing from one side of the road to the other! I’m serious when I say there were thousands!”

“Come, come now brother.” Ayo said with a smirk, “Surely your heart has not failed you…”

“I’m serious!” Deji shouted. “It was a terrible sight. People are thinking it’s the heavy hailstorm that fell earlier today that scared them out!”

I saw dad raise an eyebrow and look at me,

“Told you so.” I said in my mind, not out loud. I didn’t want any more trouble from him.

“Well, I didn’t see anything when I was returning from the base, I don’t know what’s got into you two today. If anything strange was happening
we would hear it on the local news.” He said with a huff.

“We two?” Deji followed his gaze to look at me.” What happened, Did you see the snakes too?”

“No, just hailstones.” I replied. And added: “They were really big.”

“Well I didn’t see the hail but my friends did. They said there were a few big ones but since it had been a long time hail has fallen in this part of Nigeria I think their excitement was more because they had witnessed it.”

“Dad, have you actually put on the local news today?” Ayo asked, pulling off his singlet. “It is possible we missed it.”

“Okay, okay.” My father said and went to turn on the local TV station. I sat down beside Deji and asked for the full gist while Ayo took the rest of the water and started to drink. Mom went into her room to change.

The TV station came on, not as clear as CNN but visible. The newscaster was interviewing a man that had managed to create a car engine in his garage. The man was asking the government for funds to complete the project. He had a company he wanted to register called 3Dimension. It would go places, he said. We watched in silence for a while but after that another program depicting the workings of the governor came on air.

“Nothing as usual.” Dad said, switching it back to DSTV.

“Check Channels TV” Ayo suggested.

Dad tuned to Channels TV and the reporter was interviewing a hunter in the outskirts of Lagos. The hunter was grinning stupidly from ear to ear.

“Nothing too.” Dad said with a sigh. “You should all go and rest. Except you Temi, I’m sure you have assignment and I want to see it when you are done. I want you ready for WAEC as soon as possible.”

“Papa,look!” I shouted, pointing at the TV excitedly.

They all turned back to the television. The grinning hunter was showing the Channels reporter his catch for the day.

His trappings included 5 grass-cutters, 8 huge cane rats, 7 antelopes and one large python which he proceeded to carry and wrap around his body, much to the alarm of the female reporter.

“And you say you caught all of these today? Just today? How?” She was saying.

“Ha, my ancestors decided to bless me today o” The hunter said in fluent Yoruba. “The Animals just rushed out of the forest towards me! I would have caught more but my traps were filled and my bullets finished. The rest ran off towards the East. It is indeed a good day.”
6 Likes

13 Likes

Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 10:10pm On Jul 04, 2014
My room is my private world. It is my lair, where I retreat to when I want to be alone and muse over what has happened that day. It was formerly the store-room, but mom converted it to my room after my ‘coming of age’. It contains a simple averagely sized bed at the extreme left hand corner mounted on a thick wooden frame. The bed is rarely made, usually has my clothes strewn all over it. My dad thinks I’m lazy and untidy. Mum says it’s a phase I’ll get over. Me? I think I’ll pray to marry a man who can afford a maid.

Beside the bed is my reading table complete with books and a reading lamp. The reading table is directly below the singular window which is large enough to allow adequate ventilation. I sit there when I want to please dad or if I want to do some drawing, but I mostly read on my bed. On this particular day I simply shoved all my clothes to the brown rug on the floor and jumped on the bed with my books, after I had securely shut my door with the key. I didn't want dad bursting in and seeing me not reading on the reading table that he carved out personally with his military knife. He would say I wasn't serious with my studies.

I sat down and pondered over all that had happened today. And by what had happened I meant Arnold and Dare. Why was Arnold constantly fawning over me? Didn't he see that I didn't like him, not even a little? He had attempted to declare something for me on the field only last week but I had hurried off to class, pretending that I was late for lessons. He wasn't my type in the least and I detested him further for his ‘never give up’ attitude. It was more than annoying already that Sola and Bimpe seemed to get a kick out of calling him my boyfriend.

Then there was Dare, the Headboy. That fella was too handsome for his own good. He seemed to be able to make any girl go weak at the knees by just smiling at her, and he knew it too. There was a fierce battle going on among the SS2 and SS3 girls about who was going to finally go out with him, although now it seemed he favoured Sheila, an obese light skinned female in SS2. No one could understand the attractiveness there. Sheila was obese! Fat would have been the word but I don’t think it would be apt enough to describe her with it. She was more or less a moving cylinder and yet he always took out time during break and after school to chat with her and walk her home. It was perplexing! The SS3 girls had heard a rumour that she was his half sister from his father’s affair with another woman many years ago and that was the real reason for their relationship, others said this was a rumour started by the girl to throw the SS3 she-hawks off her scent, but either way I wasn’t interested. Not me! I didn’t think he was that attractive. The fact that he made me stutter or my heart skip a beat and my knee joints go all watery anytime I saw him was beside the point.

But it would have been nice if he was the one showing me the attention instead of the gorilla Arnold.

Night time finally arrived. There was no more funny news on the TV. Dad had retired to bed and mom had decided to follow him in for a ‘private’ discussion, whatever that meant. My brothers were giggling up and down and refused to tell me the reason for their mirth but I didn’t care. I was just glad they left the TV for me. At least I can watch ‘The Queen of the South’ today, I thought. I looked at the wall clock, it was9pm.
That cold weather we had been experiencing all day had mellowed out and now the night air was quite warm. As I watched the movie I heard a noise outside, like thunder rumbling in the distance. I waited, and soon enough I heard it again.

Rain? In this hot weather? Surely not.

A thought passed through my mind; maybe the hail would fall again! This time I was determined to get some proof of its size. As the rumble in the sky grew closer and more frequent, I ran into the kitchen and found a water cooler. I grabbed it and rushed outside to see how the sky was looking. It was actually cloudy, with a strange purple haze, a colour I hadn’t seen in the night sky before. I opened the cooler and dropped it outside in a strategic spot where it was sure to catch some hail. I then went back in and continued to watch television.

The rumbling increased and soon there were flashes of lightning as the thunder rumbled above. The DSTV started to get blurry and soon the signal was lost. I cursed angrily and before I could get up from the sofa and storm to my room, the power went out. Immediately after that there was a loud crash of thunder and I almost jumped out of my skin in shock. I listened intently for the rain but didn’t hear the familiar patter of raindrops on the rooftop. I waited patiently for any of my brothers to come and turn on the generator , and after waiting for a few minutes, I decided to go and turn it on myself. I fumbled around the foot of the television stand, looking for the rechargeable lights in the darkness, slowly getting upset as my hands couldn't find it. There was another intense flash of lightening followed by thunder so loud I could feel the foundation of the house shake as it struck. I was beginning to get frightened but dared not call out for any of my brothers else they start teasing me about being afraid of the dark. I made a last desperate sweeping movement of my hand and it connected with the rechargeable, knocking it over. I grabbed it and turned it on and its fluorescent light drove the darkness out of the parlour. I sighed in relief just as another loud crash made me jump and drop the rechargeable.

The thunder was getting more frequent and more violent. What was going on? I slowly made my way outside, not really to put on the generator but to carry the water cooler inside and call it a day, afterall it was almost 10pm now. As I reached for the cooler, another flash revealed a figure sitting down on the concrete steps beside it. I jumped again and a scream almost escaped my lips, but the figure simply turned towards me and turned back, his gaze fixed at the night sky. I raised the rechargeable towards him and recognized Ayo my brother, sitting outside quietly, watching the night sky.

“Don’t be frightened,” he whispered. “Look.”

I looked upward in the direction he had been gazing at. The purple clouds had gathered in huge pockets across the night sky. They were heavy and looked like they would release rain anytime from now, but instead bright flashes of lightening kept emanating from them and as I opened my mouth to say something, a thin jagged line of bright light was flung downwards towards the earth and the thunder that followed was so loud I grabbed on to Ayo without shame, I was so frightened. He stood up and held on to me, still looking at the clouds. I heard him wince in pain as I brushed against his abdomen and I remembered his wound.

“What happened to your belly, Ayo?” I asked.

“Nothing.” He said, his gaze still on the clouds.

“Its obviously not nothing.” I replied quietly. “You used to be fun before you entered the university. What’s going on with you?”

He looked at me then and laughed. His laugh was gentle and yet menacing and the fact that another clash of thunder struck as he continued to laugh didn’t do much to alleviate the trepidation that I felt.

“Ayo,” I breathed. “ Are you…”

“Let’s go inside.” Ayo said, picking up the water cooler and handing it over to me. “I don’t like these thunder clouds. They don’t look normal.”

For the first time it occurred to me that a lot of abnormal things had happened today. The hailstones, the snakes on the highway, the news of the huge sheets of ice falling halfway across the world and the grinning hunter with his traps overflowing with animals. Even Ayo’s wounds had a sort of evil foreboding to it.

“Too many strange things have happened today Ayo.” I said, shivering slightly. “It’s as if…”

“Yeah, I’ve thought of it too.” Ayo said. “It’s like these are warning signs. Something big is about to happen.

5 Likes

Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 10:12pm On Jul 04, 2014
DAY 6: MYSTERIOUS HAPPENINGS

I woke up the next day feeling tense and irritable. The night had been unbearably hot as opposed to the previous night. Mosquitoes had had a field day or is it night, working their way through my mosquito net and biting at my hands and legs. I had gotten up twice to spray insecticide which eventually worked but which also had the effect of making my small room stuffy and itchy. All in all I couldn't wait to have my bath.

I went to the bathroom and barged in on Deji and Ayo. Deji was trying to use the toilet and Ayo was brushing his teeth. Deji promptly screamed and I averted my eyes and took a step outside but didn’t completely close the door.

“You two should hurry up and come out abeg, I need my private time!”

“Will you shut that door before I descend on you this morning!” Deji shouted. Ayo mumbled something and came out with his toothbrush in his mouth and headed for the kitchen. I grumbled and shut the bathroom door but maintained my position, knocking every once in a while to remind Deji I was still outside. He yelled and complained until mum came outside.

“Now dear, leave your brother alone,” she said.

Her hair was a bit ruffled and she looked kind of unkempt but her tone of voice was like someone in a good mood. She must have slept well, I reasoned.

“But mum, I really need to use the toilet. Or can I use yours?”

“Hold on, let me check first.” She knocked on the door. “Dear? Temi is coming in; she wants to use the bathroom.”

There was a muffled grunt from inside and something fell heavily on the floor. Mum giggled.

“Hold on a minute oh!” Dad said and finally he came out, tying a towel round his waist and wearing a camouflage T-shirt. I greeted him good
morning and he answered.

“Don’t waste time there o.”

“Okay, I won’t” I said happily and jumped into the room. My parents’ bathroom was twice the size of the bathroom in the corridor and smelled exotic. I preferred going in there anytime I had the chance. I saw that Dad’s uniform and mom’s work clothes had already been pressed and laid out neatly on the ironing board. Still, they were running a bit late. They would have been dressed and getting ready to eat breakfast by now.
I hurriedly had my bath and tried to enjoy every minute of it. I stayed a little longer, enjoying the air-conditioner, then when I heard father’s footsteps approaching I rushed out of the room.

“Thanks daddy,” I said and rushed past him before he could open his mouth to say anything else. I got dressed and prepared for school and was glad to see that mum was still eating by the time I got to the dining table. This time she would definitely drop me off at school and I wouldn’t have to face the humiliation of being among the latecomers again. She saw the smile on my face and shook her head.

“You should be able to go to school on time by yourself by now.” She said.

“But mom, the school is far.” I whined.

“You call 20mins walk far?” Deji said with a smirk as he passed.

“Do you trek anywhere?” I countered angrily. “Isnt it to enter bus at the junction and go to your satellite village?”

“Satellite campus.” He corrected with that same annoying grin.

“Whatever!” I said and mum shoved him away and shook her head at me.

“Don’t let him get on your nerves so easily my dear.” She said. “Come, let’s go to school.

At that moment the power came up.

“Up NEPA!” Deji said and ran to put on the television. I got up from my finished meal and stood in front of the standing fan which was now blowing away fiercely. I seriously needed to cool off. I waited as mom got her things and watched as my brother tuned to CNN.

“---greatest achievement ever as we await the listings for the world cup. Still on the breaking news, Airfrance still has no clue as to the whereabouts of the missing flight AF197 that was scheduled to land in Paris 3hours ago. Information gathered that the pilot was trying to contact the control tower, saying he saw something on the horizon.”

A voice like from a radio crackled on the TV as the news reporter replayed the tape. The pilot had a slight French accent.

“Tower this is flight 197, repeat AF197, do you copy?”

“Go ahead captain”

“There seems to be an unidentified object located due north of our position, request clearance on that area.”

“Affirmative flight 197, that area is clear,we repeat, that area is clear and free, over”

“Tower, the object seems to be getting closer, appears unsteady, belligerent, requesting action be taken.”

“What do you mean belligerent, captain?”

“Well, not belligerent per se, just…”

And then the voice of someone else came on air.

“Captain that thing isn’t coming closer, it’s increasing in size!”

“Oh my God. What is that?”

“Flight 197 come in, come in 197, what’s going on?”

“It’s increasing in size!”

“Does it appear aggressive? Is it airbourne? 197 please respond!”

Then muffled voices and static, and then the radio went dead.

The screen faded back to the CNN reporter who put on a stern look as she faced the camera. “Sources have revealed that local and international authorities are keenly searching for the plane or at least signs of wreckage but none have been found. Our viewers would recall that only a few months ago, another plane went missing in that same area, the Malaysian plane MH370…”

“What are you people still doing here?” Dad’s voice cut through our thoughts like a gunshot. “You’ll be late!”

Mom and I scrambled for the door and Deji tuned to another channel but dad grabbed the remote from him and tuned it back to CNN. Ayo saw us leaving and waved as he jogged round the house.

As mom started the car, I ran to open the gate. She drove out and I closed the gate and jumped into the passenger seat. She put on the air conditioning and we zoomed off.

4 Likes

Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 10:15pm On Jul 04, 2014
[size=14pt]Fresh Updates willl commence from tomorrow.[/size]

5 Likes

Re: The Day The World Ended by heemah(f): 8:09am On Jul 05, 2014
All these while I ve been a ghost reader but today am forced to comment. U are a great writer. More power to your fingers and more MB to your Data. More updates plssss
Re: The Day The World Ended by Brite02(m): 7:51pm On Jul 05, 2014
Following
Re: The Day The World Ended by Niyipo(m): 9:35pm On Jul 05, 2014
following tynz
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 1:01am On Jul 06, 2014
heemah: All these while I ve been a ghost reader but today am forced to comment. U are a great writer. More power to your fingers and more MB to your Data. More updates plssss
Thanks Heemah smiley
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 1:03am On Jul 06, 2014
@brite02 and niyima, welcome to the thread. Someone pass the chilled drinks to them. Popcorn?
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 1:15am On Jul 06, 2014
As we passed Chief Akpati’s house I saw two of the bodyguards rushing towards the gate entrance and some other villagers watching and laughing from a safe distance. One of the guard dogs had somehow escaped and was being led back into the compound. It was a huge dobberman and was putting up quite a fight. It tore at the sticks the guards were using on it voraciously and repeatedly tried to attack the third man who was holding on to its leash. As I watched, the dog made another grab at its masters and got its jaws around the third man’s leg. He screamed in pain and hit out at the dog but it held on stubbornly. Suddenly one of the other men pulled out a weapon and there was a loud bang that made mom slam on her brakes. The Camry came to a screeching halt as the villagers that had gathered started to run away from the scene.

“What was that?!” Mum shouted and followed my gaze to the entrance of Chief’s mansion.

The dog lay on the floor, dead, its brains blown out on the tarred road. The man that had been attacked was still holding his leg and howling and I could see his trouser had been torn and blood oozing out.

“Bastard, you could have shot my leg!” he shouted

“But I didn’t, look there was no other way, it would have gone for your genitals next. That’s how I trained it!” The burly man with the gun shouted back.

“Let’s go.” Mom said and winding the window up, she drove off.

“Those people are barbaric!” she fumed. “I mean, was that really necessary? Did they have to shoot the poor animal?”

My hands were shaking. I had never seen someone or something shot before. Mom was saying something about irresponsible politicians and rabid dogs but I barely paid attention. I was still a bit shaken by the time she dropped me off at the school.

“Bye dear!” she said and zoomed off to work.

It was 7.55am. Students were already gathering at the assembly line. I spotted Sola and Bimpe walking together ahead of me and went to join them.

“Late-comer, have you repented?” Sola said, grinning.

“She doesn’t want her Gorilla to save her again today” Bimpe laughed in her usual high pitched voice. I smacked her playfully and we entered the assembly line. I spotted Arnold standing at the Prefect’s corner. Our eyes met and I saw him visibly heave a sigh of relief. He grinned and looked like he was about to wave. I quickly looked away.

“Its past 8am already, where’s the principal?” Sola asked. I shrugged as I scanned around for Mr Adedeji.

Mr Adedeji was our school principal and a very strict man who ran a tight ship. Since he had been appointed principal two years ago our school had risen from one of the intellectually mediocre schools to the best school in the region. Mr Adedeji ran the school like it was his business, like it was his school and not government owned. He was quick to discipline and firmly call back to order any student that was seen to be out of line. He did not fear the children of the affluent neither did he pity the children of the poor. He treated everyone with an equality that deep within me I found admirable.

Of course I didn’t air my honest views about him out loud for fear of being lynched. Most pupils saw him as a tyrant, a man with no mercy, who was liberal with the cane and other exotic forms of punishment. They also saw him as extremely punctual which was why the school yard was gradually becoming rowdy with student s wondering why he had not arrived to commandeer the assembly. Mr Adedeji had been known to be late only twice since he became principal. The first time was when his wife died. Mr Adedeji had come to assembly a few minutes late the next day. Some of the teachers were even surprised he showed up at all since they all knew how close he was to her, and it was recorded some of them wept openly as he carried on the assembly with tears in his eyes but a steady voice. The second time was when a student had convulsed in his office when being asked about his studies. Mr Adedeji had taken him to the first aid room himself and made sure the student was well cared for after which he came to the assembly ten minutes late.

As time went by and no one seemed to know where the principal was, the Vice principal walked into the assembly hall, clutching her mobile phone. She was a nervous, timid looking little woman, the direct opposite of the principal. She had been appointed vice principal due to her academic prowess but other than that, she had no distinguishing features.

“The National Anthem!” She squeaked.

As we sang, I noticed a commotion in the back of the hall and suddenly our principal appeared. He was being supported by one of the burlier male teachers, and he had a bandage on his head. We all gasped as the anthem song faltered but he quickly motioned for us to finish and we did so. The vice principal looked alarmed and relieved at the same time. As soon as the anthem was over she went to meet him and they quietly exchanged a few words, after which the vice principal came back to the assembly.

“Classes with commence as usual. Assembly dismissed!”

We dispersed back to our various classes and I saw some of the teachers including our class teacher, surround the Principal.

“Wonder what happened to him?” I said and Bimpe nodded

“It looks like he was attacked or something.” Sola said.

5 Likes

Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 1:44am On Jul 06, 2014
Classes did commence as usual and soon we had all forgotten about the incident at the assembly. The head boy, Dare, had come to give us a 15minute talk on class orderliness and keeping our surroundings clean. He looked as handsome as ever with his lean figure, clean shaven face, knee-weakening smile and gentle looking hands. I couldn’t help but notice the way almost all the girls in the class kept fidgeting and staring at him dreamily as he talked. I was disgusted at them, I mean really, couldn’t they keep their feelings in check like I was doing? I mean, anytime he cast a glance in my direction I didn’t grin or smile or anything, in fact I kept a straight face throughout. I admit my heart skipped a beat anytime our eyes met but that was probably because I kept thinking he was going to ask me a question or something.

Our geography teacher, Mr. Abel, was the last lecturer before the break. The topic of his lecture was earthquakes. He was a small statured man with strings of hair on his chin and cheeks that always made him appear unkempt. He always wore a brown khaki trouser atop which he mixed an assortment of colored long sleeved shirts. He was a friendly fellow and a favorite among the pupils. He could be harsh when he wanted to be though.

“Today we will be discussing earthquakes.” He said in his high tenor voice. He drew three concentric spheres on the black board and labeled them.

“The earth is divided simply into three layers. The innermost layer is the earth’s core, followed by the mantle, and the thinner outermost area which we call the ground is the Earth’s Crust. Tina, are you following me?”

“Yes sir!” A startled Tina shouted and jumped up, almost falling off her seat. She had obviously been sleeping. The class roared in laughter and Mr. Abel called for silence.

“Tina, I’ve told you to stop eating Eba before you come to class. Eat something light so your brain will be active, eh?”

“Sorry sir,” Tina replied, looking very embarrassed. “I didn’t sleep well last night, our dog was barking throughout…”

“I don’t want to know, am I the one that gave you the dog?” Mr. Abel cut her short sternly. “Just pay attention because this might come in your exam!”

“Yes Sir.” Tina replied quietly.

“See her head like coconut.” Mr. Abel fired once more before turning back and the class giggled and Tina blushed, smiling. She knew he was being playful.

“As I was saying, the Earth has three layers, The Core, the Mantle, and the Crust. The Mantle is the part we are interested in. It is a semi-solid layer of dense rock about 2900km thick. This is where earthquakes are formed. Large parts of the mantle float about and are called tectonic plates. When these plates move, we have earthquakes. When an earthquake occurs, it causes large areas of the earth’s crust to move. Sometimes this movement can be so small it is not felt at all, well it might be felt by the local wildlife like goats, dogs and cats but man won’t feel it. Other times it can be so large it destroys entire cities.”

Mr. Abel paused. He looked around the class and pointed at Bose, the repeat student, who was sitting quietly at the back.

“Bose, you have had this lecture before. Tell us what we use in measuring earthquakes.”

“A seismometer, Sir.” She replied, slowly getting up from her seat. She was a little fat. Just like the headboy liked them, I thought, giggling to myself.

“Correct. What is the scale used?”

“A Richter scale sir.” She replied.

“Good! You are doing well. Sit down.” He said, and she did.

Mr. Abel went on with his lecture and an hour later rounded up. A few questions were asked, one of which was by Sola who had been eagerly raising up her hand.

“Yes, scholar.” Mr. Abel said. He usually addressed her as ‘scholar’ instead of Sola because she always asked intelligent questions in class and
also because of her love for books.

“I wanted to know sir, what the largest earthquake we have had on the Richter scale is.”

“9.0. That was in Japan in 2011.” He replied. “It brought down skyscrapers and entire villages disappeared under landslides. I’ve taught you about landslides, haven’t I?”

“Yes Sir.” Sola said, but her hand was still raised. Mr. Abel nodded.

“Have we ever had one in Nigeria?”

The class burst into laughter. Mr. Abel shushed them.

“Why are you guys laughing? It’s a valid question. My dear, as far as I know, no. Nigeria is blessed in that we don’t have most of the natural catastrophes experienced by other parts of the world. Our own problem is worse. It has eaten into the very core and mantle and crust of our supposedly great nation. Can anyone tell me what disaster I am talking about?”

“Oil, Sir?” Sola replied hesitantly.

“No, corruption!” Mr. Abel barked. “Corruption has caused more damage than most of the Earthquakes, tsunamis, drought and all what-not other countries are experiencing. The money that Japan used to recover from the last earthquake, I can tell you, some unscrupulous persons in our polity have diverted the same amount into their dirty pockets! The way the masses are suffering is almost the same way some of the people that live in drought infested areas suffer; meanwhile there is abundant food everywhere. Anyway, I am digressing, we can discuss that some other day. For your assignment, I want you all to read up Lava and how it is formed. I will ask in the next class oh!”

At that same moment the school bell rung and we all got up, glad at the opportunity to stretch our legs. Sola and Bimpe joined me as we went down to the local snack kiosk to buy something to eat.

“Imagine if an earthquake happened in Nigeria now!” Sola was saying excitedly.

“How is that exciting you? You want to experience earthquake?” I asked.

“Maybe she should travel to Japan when the next one is happening.” Bimpe said and Sola punched her.

Somebody suddenly grabbed my shoulder roughly.

“Hey!” I shouted, turning around, only to see Arnold grinning back at me.

“Penny for your thoughts? I called out to you but it seems your mind was somewhere else.”

“We were talking about Gorillas and if one could keep them as pets.” Sola said with a straight face. Bimpe stifled a laugh.

Arnold looked puzzled. “Gorillas? What on earth will make you think of Gorillas this morning? People are discussing serious things you girls are thinking of gorillas!”

“Are you saying we are not discussing anything serious?” I countered, fuming in annoyance. “You think we don’t know how to discuss serious or intelligent topics? In your mind we are babies now, right?”

Arnold threw his hands in the air in exasperation. “That’s not what I meant oh. Why are you looking for fault where there is none? I was just saying in light of recent happenings you girls should be discussing other things, that’s all.”

“Recent happenings like what?” Sola asked as I hissed and turned away.

“The school principal! Didn’t you hear? He was involved in an accident!”

“Thought so,” Bimpe said. “What happened?”

“Is he going to be alright?” I added turning back, now genuinely concerned.

Arnold smiled gleefully. He seemed so glad he had finally caught my attention. I was tempted to tell him off but was eager to know what had happened to the principal so I held my peace.

“He said he was coming to school as usual when he ran into a herd of cattle. He said he spotted the Fulani man battling furiously with the bull to lead the herd. Anytime he faced the bull in one direction it would stubbornly refuse and go in the opposite direction, and that the herd kept on trying to follow the bull. He said the man was flogging the bull with a staff mercilessly when it bolted away from him and towards his vehicle. The collision was so violent he hit his head on the windscreen and cracked his skull!” Arnold’s eyes were now huge with excitement. He looked at us from one person to another as if daring us to disbelieve the story.

“That’s terrible!” I said. “Has he been to the hospital?”

“The Vice principal is sending him off now. The bandage on his head is from a roadside chemist. His car refused to start after the incident and he says the bull, although injured was still putting up a fight and had to be shot by a soldier just before he was carried off the scene.”

“Why would they shoot the animal?” Sola cried.

“So it won’t run off and injure others, of course!” Arnold retorted. “What did you want them to do before since the owner couldn’t control it? Em…Temi, are you all right?”

Arnold’s voice shook me out of my reviere.

“Deja vous.” I said.

“What?” Sola asked and Bimpe looked at me quizzically.

“Same thing happened to my neighbor’s dog this morning.” I said, trembling a little at the memory. “It was out of control. The guard had to shoot it.”

“Chief Akpati’s dog?” Sola gasped. “I don’t like those people one bit. Are they policemen? Why should they have guns?”

“My mom said he’s a thief and an armed robber.” Bimpe said. How else would he build such a huge and magnificent house?”

“Don’t ‘thief’ and ‘armed robber’ mean the same thing?” Sola said. Bimpe ignored her.

“Hello, he’s a Chief! He’s supposed to have a huge house!” Arnold chipped in.

“How? Does the government pay him for having a house?” Bimpe inquired placing her hands on her hips. “Let’s leave that thing jo. The man is dubious.”

Everybody in our area knew about Chief Akpati. His house which was a duplex was the largest in the town and a work of art if ever there was one. It was beautifully designed green and yellow with pillars in front and a huge bronze statue of a man sitting beside a lion at the entrance. Most people however had only seen it from the outside and usually when the gates were opened to allow the coming and going of mysterious vehicles. Parents warned their kids not to go anywhere near the compound and the children mostly obeyed. Even the guards on the outside didn’t look friendly at all and never talked to passersby, not so much as a wave. They kept to themselves as much as the community did.

Arnold opened his mouth to say something but I had lost patience.

“Thanks for the info, Arnold.” I said dismissively. “We have to go to class now.”

“Really? But the break is still on.” He replied, obviously saddened that our discussion was coming to an end.

“Exactly.” I said. “We still have a lot of things to do before class resumes. Come on girls.”

We left him staring at his feet as we hurried down to the snack kiosk.

“Don’t you think you are a little harsh on your gorilla?” Sola asked teasingly and Bimpe giggled. I made a rude face at her and bought some bean cakes. Bimpe bought some soft drinks in take-away plastic bottles and we went back to class. Sola was hardly ever given snack money and was usually very embarrassed when we asked why and so we had learned to refrain from questions although Bimpe had hinted me that her parents were having some financial crises. We shared the delicacies among ourselves and talked some more, waiting for the break to be over. We were busy munching on our delicacies in a brief moment of silence when we heard two voices arguing.

“Come and see na, I’m telling you I've seen it on discovery channel! That dog is trying to tell his oga something.”

“Dog dey get sense? Abeg I have heard about rabid dogs o, they start to behave crazy and can even bite their owner. The man should run!”

We turned around to look for where the voices were coming from, only to see a small crowd of those in the class had gathered around the class window looking out of the school compound. Students were chatting excitedly and pointing at something. All three of us got up immediately and ran to the window, pushing and shoving our way through to the front to have a better view.

“It’s only a dog playing with its master.” Bimpe said.

The dog was in the compound opposite the school and it was running circles around a man who was carrying his laundry inside. Every once in a while the dog would grab at the man’s trousers and pull violently. Sometimes the dog would hurl its body at the man, who would use his leg to push it gently away. But the dog persisted, howling miserably at intervals.

“It’s not play.” A pupil said. “The dog is trying to tell the man something.”

9 Likes

Re: The Day The World Ended by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:06am On Jul 06, 2014
See film!!!!!!...... Royver o se!!!....
Re: The Day The World Ended by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
Wow Royver! Even with ur tight schedule,u're still able to serve us this delicious piece. Well done Royver Achebe! (i hope u dnt mind if I give u a new name).
Re: The Day The World Ended by Lawconfessor(f): 4:47pm On Jul 06, 2014
Mr Royver, U're good dear.
Jisie ike, daalu olu.
Re: The Day The World Ended by Nimen(m): 4:51pm On Jul 06, 2014
Royver, thumbs up sir... I have some reservations sha, why do too much use of supri supri? There are places where u should add pidgin jare. And i take exception in you callin akara bean cake, that's what it is to Nigerians "AKARA"
Re: The Day The World Ended by PrinceAdepoju(m): 6:41pm On Jul 06, 2014
Oga Royver, where art thou sir?
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 9:47pm On Jul 06, 2014
JeffreyJamez: See film!!!!!!...... Royver o se!!!....
@jeffrey, how y'all doing in the VVVIP section?
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 9:47pm On Jul 06, 2014
Jennimma: Wow Royver! Even with ur tight schedule,u're still able to serve us this delicious piece. Well done Royver Achebe! (i hope u dnt mind if I give u a new name).
achebe ke! embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed grin
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 9:48pm On Jul 06, 2014
Lawconfessor: Mr Royver, U're good dear.
Jisie ike, daalu olu.
Eshe goo-on
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 9:50pm On Jul 06, 2014
Nimen: Royver, thumbs up sir... I have some reservations sha, why do too much use of supri supri? There are places where u should add pidgin jare. And i take exception in you callin akara bean cake, that's what it is to Nigerians "AKARA"
@nimen, Lol. I understand what you mean. I'm trying to minimise the pidgin as some foreign publishers frown at it. But it will definitely feature soon. Temi is or was more of an aje-buteer girl sha lipsrsealed

@akara grin grin grin, oyibo man tlk say na bean cake o cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 9:52pm On Jul 06, 2014
PrinceAdepoju: Oga Royver, where art thou sir?
I'm here prince, waiting for dinner, typing away as fast as my fingers and brain can carry me. Will update at my usual time smiley
Re: The Day The World Ended by Niyipo(m): 10:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
More update oga royver

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply)

The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / #my Life / Tormented

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.