Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,195 members, 7,807,664 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Why Is There A Huge Difference In Fx Rates Between Bank Rates And Actual Market - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Is There A Huge Difference In Fx Rates Between Bank Rates And Actual Market (629 Views)

ATM Withdrawal Abroad: FX Rates / FX Rates: The Change And The Fraud, Who Is Deceiving Who? / How To Make A Huge Success Online With PPD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is There A Huge Difference In Fx Rates Between Bank Rates And Actual Market by slightlyMad(f): 1:11pm On Jul 03, 2014
The current rate all over the market when i did a google search is between 162 - 163
but my bank (GTBank) charged me for an online order at the rate of 165.8
any explanation to this?

Also, since my funds is usually blocked at the point of placing orders, shouldn't the rate at the time of order be used
rather than the current rate at the time the merchant comes for the money.

I understand there is a month window for merchants to claim funds, what of scenarios when the rate has changed dramatically over the course of a month, I think it will be wrong for me to pay for the difference simply because a merchant refused to pull their money on time.

thanks in advance
Re: Why Is There A Huge Difference In Fx Rates Between Bank Rates And Actual Market by slightlyMad(f): 1:52pm On Jul 09, 2014
59 view, 0 comment. na wa o
Re: Why Is There A Huge Difference In Fx Rates Between Bank Rates And Actual Market by seunwen2(m): 2:29pm On Jul 09, 2014
Wetin ops dey talk sef?
Re: Why Is There A Huge Difference In Fx Rates Between Bank Rates And Actual Market by slightlyMad(f): 3:19pm On Aug 03, 2014
isn't this business section?
Re: Why Is There A Huge Difference In Fx Rates Between Bank Rates And Actual Market by arbitrage: 5:16pm On Aug 03, 2014
My guess is that the current N162/163 market rate will be what CBN gives to all whereas the GTB, as a BDC licensee, sells to its customers (through card usage) N165.8 rate. As touching the block out of amount expended on your card till merchant claims the money, I don't think the amount (therefore the rate) that bank holds out of your balance changes till the day merchant claims the fund. Meaning that the rate of the date of purchase is still being used and not the day of claim.

(1) (Reply)

E-commerce Gets Boost As Firstbank Partners PayPal / Mexico's Carlos Slim Reclaims World's Richest Man Title From Bill Gates / Ceeloi: Making Money Through Referrals In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.