Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,588 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:25 AM

22 Years In Jail For A Non-violent First Offence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 22 Years In Jail For A Non-violent First Offence (1185 Views)

Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question / Fayose Arrests Road Safety Official For Traffic Offence / Brigadier-General Ransome-Kuti Sentenced To Six Months In Jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

22 Years In Jail For A Non-violent First Offence by kool05(m): 3:34pm On Jul 03, 2014
FREEDOM FOR TOLU: Back our campaign for clemency – ‘This man more than deserves a second chance,’ say lawyers and prison officers.

Sign the petition for clemency at http://www.change.org/petitions/president-of-the-united-states-grant-and-approve-tolu-akinrosotu-s-clemency-petition

The St Charles’ Grammar School Osogbo Old Boys Association UK branch are at the forefront of an international campaign to secure the release from US prison of their former school friend Tolu Akinrosotu – who has served over 20 years of a draconian 30 year sentence for a first time, non-violent drug crime.
Even the prosecutor who sent him down is backing the call for clemency, as is the Nigerian Community in Waltham Forest.
Tolu’s downfall is a tragic case of being wide eyed and innocent impressionable and ambitious alone in a big city.
He was living in Manhattan, actively pursuing a career in the music business as a songwriter where his outgoing personality had allowed him to find employment as a party organiser and personal shopper. He was a student making ends meet in the cash economy.
Then in 1991, aged 21, Tolu became unwittingly involved with a group in the then “downtown arts scene”, who asked him to book some flights on their behalf for which he would be paid.
They approached Tolu as he was experienced at booking international flights, to and from Nigeria and Europe. Tolu had been born in America in February 1970, but raised in Nigeria before returning to the US to pursue a degree, and regularly took holidays in Europe.

Between 1991-3 he obliged his friends’ requests several times. But Tolu’s world came crashing down when drug mules were intercepted, flying on a tickets he had booked. While investigated and charged with offences relating to this incident Tolu was acquitted.

Subsequently he was convicted on five counts of conspiracy to import and distribute heroin on the testimony of witnesses who were co-operating with the authorities in relation to other crimes – confessions for which no one has ever been arrested except Tolu, for arranging the flight. He doesn’t, however, deny his involvement or becoming aware these travels were for illegal means. As he says, “I deluded myself into believing I was not involved in the commission of any crime.”

At the time of his being charged he had $2,000 in the bank, a car but owned no property. He was clearly no Mr Big. But he felt the full force of the law because he refused to co-operate with the authorities - fearful of identifying those who asked him to arrange the flights.

He was sentenced to serve 365 months – 30 years and 5 months – and ordered to pay a fine of $50,000. He was 23 years old when he was imprisoned and is now aged 44. As an exemplary prison worker – undertaking 16-hour shifts at prison factories for over 15 years – he has managed to set aside over $37,000 towards paying that fine.

His plight only came to light when the Class of 87 from St Charles’ were planning a reunion. Then former classmate Muyiwa Adedapo discovered the predicament of his old friend, who came from a professional family – both his parents were bankers – and was called ajebutter in reference to his American upbringing. That was in 2012.

Around the same time Tolu had issued his own plea for clemency, at a website called clemencyfortolu.com, which is how Mr Adedapo learnt of his situation.

He alerted other Charleans, who have rallied to the cause. Dr Opawoye, Alhaji Bakare and Clement Ebinum have visited Tolu in jail despite having left school years before Tolu attended. And Debo Adewumi, of the Charleans UK chapter and a pillar of the Nigerian Community in Waltham Forest, London, has been championing his cause here. Mr Adewumi told Nigerian Watch, “It is still a total shock to us all that someone like Tolu got into such a mess.”

He recalled a young man famed for his great good humour and willingness to help others, and thirst for knowledge.

Prison officers and administrators who Tolu has worked for over the years have written equally glowing testimonials in support of his clemency appeal and the prosecutor that tried his case has said she will not only not contest Tolu’s appeal for clemency – which is an unprecedented step – but that she will write a letter in support of it.

One former prison officer who is also supporting the clemency appeal credits Tolu with saving his life. Spiralling into depression he took an overdose at work. Tolu, noticing the change in his manager, alerted other staff. The officer, who was a senior operating accountant in the US prison service and oversaw Tolu’s work as his assistant, has written to President Obama on his behalf. In the letter he writes of Tolu, “His care and attention enabled me to receive the emergency medical treatment I needed. I now have the luxury of a second chance at life, and to be an important part of my 16-year-old daughter’s life. Mr Akinrosotu deserves a second chance”.

It is also clear from the many US lawyers backing his appeal that had he been convicted today he would not have been given anything like the sentence he received – more like 5-10 years maximum.

Under these circumstances it would seem clemency would be readily forthcoming. The problem is to achieve the desired outcome Tolu’s case needs to be brought before President Obama and for that to be achieved a petition of a minimum 100,000 names needs to be raised – and that’s where the diaspora can help (see link below).

Nigerian Watch has spoken with Tolu on several occasions since being alerted to his plight, read his clemency plea (see www.clemencyfortolu.com), and the scores of letters in support from prison officers, lawyers and friends, which are also posted on his website – which he designed and wrote himself. This is one of the many skills he has learnt over his period of incarceration. His academic achievements to self-improvement are as long as a tall man’s arms.

Over the phone he has boundless energy. He still writes songs and we talk at length about music. Windrush Day crops up in conversation and we talk about rising xenophobia. He is thoughtful, highly articulate and clearly of high intellect and displays not one moment of anger or malice at his plight – even though the man who led him down the path of crime received a lesser sentence and no fine and is free today. Indeed he remains deeply remorseful.

Among his many academic achievements is becoming a qualified drug and alcohol counsellor, which has given him great insight.

In his clemency appeal he writes, “In these years of imprisonment, I have come to know the faces, histories, and far-reaching consequences of drug use. The consequences are borne by vulnerable people. People whose lives, loves, dreams, hopes, family and very humanity have been ruined by drugs. It is to my eternal regret and shame that I have contributed to their misery. I was not and am not as callous and uncaring for other people as to deliberately cause them harm for profit or pleasure. I was simply a misguided 22-year-old looking for a short cut to success.”

Tolu’s father frowned on his ambition to be a musician, as not a proper job; a societal trait. So the young man had something to prove in New York but he does not hide behind that excuse. Tolu has money saved, many job offers on the table and people willing to offer him a home – including his family, who have long forgiven him.

He is devastated by the impact his actions have had on his family. “They have suffered the harshest toll,” he says. When his last appeal was exhausted in 2006 his mother, then aged 56, suffered a breakdown from which she has not recovered.

“This has left my much younger siblings without a mother and deprived my father of his loving and devoted wife. My family is a shambles and I am heartsick with anguish over my mother and family’s terrible sufferings because of me.”

While his family has forgiven him, he cannot forgive himself. “I let those closest to me down, and I will not fail them ever again.”

At the time of going to press, Tolu emailed from prison his heartfelt thanks to those who are championing his cause, particularly Old Charleans Muyiwa and Debo. He wrote, “My dear mates overwhelm me with the magnanimity of their devotion, empathy and compassion and individual and collective generosity. They found me, a fallen childhood friend and did not turn away in disgust or shame or disapproval.

“Instead they opened their hearts, extended their hands and rallied seemingly the aid of the world and its loved ones to help lift me from the depths of my voiceless and faceless despair. with friends like these, who needs miracles.”

Tolu deserves a second chance. It is in our gift to give him that.

To sign a petition directly to Barrack Obama http://www.change.org/petitions/president-of-the-united-states-grant-and-approve-tolu-akinrosotu-s-clemency-petition

To support Tolu’s appeal for clemency visit his website www.clemencyfortolu.com

Source: http://www.nigerianwatch.com/news/4709-22-years-in-jail-for-a-non-violent-first-offence#sthash.78zUEY2N.dpuf

Re: 22 Years In Jail For A Non-violent First Offence by Coldfeet(f): 3:47pm On Jul 03, 2014
Freedom for Tolu pls! How can a mans future be altered just like that?

1 Like

Re: 22 Years In Jail For A Non-violent First Offence by onoja12: 6:14pm On Jul 03, 2014
The issue of Nigerians been maltreated abroad is one which should mark a quick change in Nigerian foreign policy.I think its high time the ministry of foreign affairs begin to do more than talk,they need to relate with the Nigerian association in countries round the world,the Nigerian missions are doing little or nothing to help Nigeria as a country and Nigerian leaving abroad.more embassies cant even issue the Nigerian passport talk more of assisting Nigerians.
I dare to say that of the over 15,000 Nigerian in jail abroad more than 2/3 of that figure are issues of victimization.
most of this countries have it at the back of there minds that the Nigerian state would do nothing,so they treat the Nigerian citizen as they like,i want to quickly point out that this policy of silence from the Nigerian mission abroad is the main reason why Nigeria is no longer respected on the international seen.
A point of reference is a country in the Caribbean called Guyana,i was arrested for simply applying for a drivers licence.imagine how silly that sounds and then handed to the anti narcotics department,they could not find what to pin on me,so they in turn handed me over to the anti fraud unit,while under interrogation for no crime committed the officer in charge of the fraud unit told me that 99% of Nigerians are drug dealers to which i responded,he has no right to assume that over 167million people as drug dealer when he has never been to Nigeria. angered by my statement he quickly called the immigration department where my application has been pending for 6months,this by the way is a process that is suppose to take 3weeks but for Nigerians it takes as much as 7years,this treatment is only for Nigerians. and after speaking to a Miss Mohammed he then told me that i have over stayed on my visa and my application has been denied.i equally told him in response that i am more than willing to return to my country even though i have been married to a citizen of there country for over 4years but i would not return with any false hood on my passport.
My wife inform the crime chief who i must confess was a perfect gentle man,who immediately ordered my release but stated that the problem the O/C fraud has created from immigration cant be undone by him so the matter must be taken up with there ministry of home affairs.i have thus written letters of protest which of course has not been responded to.

The lessons which can be learnt from this are as followed
1) The laws of this country clearly states that if you don't have the appropriate visa you cant work,with the deliberate policy of making sure Nigerians don't get the visa,this in turn would make sure that the Nigerian population here can not get legitimate work and thus forcing them into a life of crime.
2) countries that produce drugs in this region do not have there citizens tagged as drug dealer but a country that doesn't produce drugs are tagged drug dealers
3)even Nigerian investors are not spared,they are frustrated out
4)Nigerian student take 4-6months to get a student visa while others take 3weeks,its is equally surprising that Nigerian student contribute over 500million Guyana dollar directly and indirectly and account for 60% of the foreign students
5)I have demanded for statistics and it clearly shows that Nigeria is not among the top ten countries with conviction rate in this country,so how come of the hash tag
6)Guyanese citizen in Nigeria are enjoying expertrate quoter and working as guest of the country while to the contrary Nigerians here are treated with such disgust.
To this end i have taken it upon myself to defend the integrity of my country,i shall be meeting with the president of the Nigerian association in Guyana to fashion out a away on getting the government to drop this hash tag on Nigeria and Nigerians,and i shall be writing a letter to the honourable president of Guyana to notify him of this and equally write the Nigerian senate and house of representative as well as the Nigerian ambassador to the Caribbean and the ministry of foreign affairs in Nigeria.
its time we begin to say no to this victimization of our great country and its citizens.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: 22 Years In Jail For A Non-violent First Offence by IdomaLikita: 7:52pm On Jul 03, 2014
onoja12: The issue of Nigerians been maltreated abroad is one which should mark a quick change in Nigerian foreign policy.I think its high time the ministry of foreign affairs begin to do more than talk,they need to relate with the Nigerian association in countries round the world,the Nigerian missions are doing little or nothing to help Nigeria as a country and Nigerian leaving abroad.more embassies cant even issue the Nigerian passport talk more of assisting Nigerians.
I dare to say that of the over 15,000 Nigerian in jail abroad more than 2/3 of that figure are issues of victimization.
most of this countries have it at the back of there minds that the Nigerian state would do nothing,so they treat the Nigerian citizen as they like,i want to quickly point out that this policy of silence from the Nigerian mission abroad is the main reason why Nigeria is no longer respected on the international seen.
A point of reference is a country in the Caribbean called Guyana,i was arrested for simply applying for a drivers licence.imagine how silly that sounds and then handed to the anti narcotics department,they could not find what to pin on me,so they in turn handed me over to the anti fraud unit,while under interrogation for no crime committed the officer in charge of the fraud unit told me that 99% of Nigerians are drug dealers to which i responded,he has no right to assume that over 167million people as drug dealer when he has never been to Nigeria. angered by my statement he quickly called the immigration department where my application has been pending for 6months,this by the way is a process that is suppose to take 3weeks but for Nigerians it takes as much as 7years,this treatment is only for Nigerians. and after speaking to a Miss Mohammed he then told me that i have over stayed on my visa and my application has been denied.i equally told him in response that i am more than willing to return to my country even though i have been married to a citizen of there country for over 4years but i would not return with any false hood on my passport.
My wife inform the crime chief who i must confess was a perfect gentle man,who immediately ordered my release but stated that the problem the O/C fraud has created from immigration cant be undone by him so the matter must be taken up with there ministry of home affairs.i have thus written letters of protest which of course has not been responded to.

The lessons which can be learnt from this are as followed
1) The laws of this country clearly states that if you don't have the appropriate visa you cant work,with the deliberate policy of making sure Nigerians don't get the visa,this in turn would make sure that the Nigerian population here can not get legitimate work and thus forcing them into a life of crime.
2) countries that produce drugs in this region do not have there citizens tagged as drug dealer but a country that doesn't produce drugs are tagged drug dealers
3)even Nigerian investors are not spared,they are frustrated out
4)Nigerian student take 4-6months to get a student visa while others take 3weeks,its is equally surprising that Nigerian student contribute over 500million Guyana dollar directly and indirectly and account for 60% of the foreign students
5)I have demanded for statistics and it clearly shows that Nigeria is not among the top ten countries with conviction rate in this country,so how come of the hash tag
6)Guyanese citizen in Nigeria are enjoying expertrate quoter and working as guest of the country while to the contrary Nigerians here are treated with such disgust.
To this end i have taken it upon myself to defend the integrity of my country,i shall be meeting with the president of the Nigerian association in Guyana to fashion out a away on getting the government to drop this hash tag on Nigeria and Nigerians,and i shall be writing a letter to the honourable president of Guyana to notify him of this and equally write the Nigerian senate and house of representative as well as the Nigerian ambassador to the Caribbean and the ministry of foreign affairs in Nigeria.
its time we begin to say no to this victimization of our great country and its citizens.

Thanks

I envy your resolute stance in the face of discrimination! I know nothing about the behaviour of Nigerians in Guyana, but going by what I saw in Sabah,Malaysia a few years ago on a Night Out! I wouldn't blame the Authorities for calling ALL Nigerians Drug-Dealers!
I just hope some mofo doesn't prove your assertions wrong along the line!
Good work tho!
Re: 22 Years In Jail For A Non-violent First Offence by teemy(m): 8:25pm On Jul 03, 2014
I just signed the petition and shared on facebook. Don't just comment, do the needful.

Mods front page please to hasten the signing.

Am not sure but it seems these signings have a 30 day limit for the 100,000 signatures to be completed.
Re: 22 Years In Jail For A Non-violent First Offence by teemy(m): 9:33am On Jul 04, 2014
i believe nairalanders can make this happen. looking forward to seeing the admins do the needful.
Re: 22 Years In Jail For A Non-violent First Offence by teemy(m): 7:21am On Jul 08, 2014
What would it take to get this topic on frontpage?
Re: 22 Years In Jail For A Non-violent First Offence by Graviton2(m): 1:09pm On Jul 08, 2014
Moderators, please take this to the front page. You all should do well to sign this petition.

#GiveToluClemency

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Suicide Bombers Hit Two Mosques In Yobe / Family Announces Burial Arrangement For Late Prof. Dora Akunyili / Ebola: Cameroun Closes Border With Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.