Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,181 members, 7,807,577 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective (7190 Views)

Hierarchy Of Yoruba Obas As Of 1920 / Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / The Igbo Values Of Success, Education And Hardwork: A Case Of The Robeson Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by AjanleKoko: 6:07pm On Jul 03, 2014
How accurate do you think this map is?

Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by esere826: 6:23pm On Jul 03, 2014
AjanleKoko: How accurate do you think this map is?

please can you submit a clearer pix
especially for the x and y axis label

tnx

2 Likes

Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by birdman(m): 8:47pm On Jul 03, 2014
yeah, the axes are not clear. i can already see Nigeria squished in one small corner, so yeah im going to have something to say about this grin

1 Like

Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by AjanleKoko: 12:21pm On Jul 04, 2014
Trying again.
I think this one is better.

The graph is basically trying to compare nations, values, language and religion. Based on that different nations fall into different clusters.
It's from Business Insider Magazine.

I already saw some errors. For example, Zambia and Zimbabwe classified within the 'Islamic nations' group.

But let's hear from you all.

Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by pickabeau1: 12:24pm On Jul 04, 2014
I think HongKong will be upper right

You did not include the rich Arab states which are traditional too but not survival mode
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 04, 2014
The Confucian and Orthodox nations with perhaps the exception of Hong Kong should be on the bottom left. China, Taiwan and the majority of the Eastern bloc nations including Russia are still quite traditional and mostly in survivalist.
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 04, 2014
India too as above. Canada and Australia could probably go up slightly on secular values. Ethiopia Islamic? Heck no!!! Most are orthodox Christians now
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by esere826: 2:55pm On Jul 04, 2014
There should be more to the map
probably as a tool for expatriates

For example, it could mean that to be successful when you do business in Nigeria, South Africa and Uganda
feel free to give bribes instead of flaunting your portfolio of innovations
And no need to rock the boat by trying to stop people from calling u ogakpata
Just ensure that you provide locations in your office for everyone to practice their religion
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by birdman(m): 6:14pm On Jul 06, 2014
It is possible to be traditional and rational unlike what the map would suggest. I think the placement of Nigeria and other African countries is to be expected in a western worldview. However, I am surprised to see Ghana, the democratic darling of the West being rated "lower" than Nigeria. I also dont see how Thailand or Malaysia can in any way be considered more secular than South Africa. I think esere is on to something, even if its in jest - I think this is more of a "ease of doing business" map than anything

1 Like

Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by tpia1: 5:37am On Jul 07, 2014
Here we go again.
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by AjanleKoko: 4:55pm On Jul 07, 2014
pickabeau1: I think HongKong will be upper right

You did not include the rich Arab states which are traditional too but not survival mode

I think they just picked some nations with similar characteristics.
I noticed the likes of Qatar, Saudi, and UAE, which are more or less traditional monarchy systems and have no elected representatives, are excluded.
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by AjanleKoko: 9:47am On Jul 08, 2014
birdman: It is possible to be traditional and rational unlike what the map would suggest. I think the placement of Nigeria and other African countries is to be expected in a western worldview. However, I am surprised to see Ghana, the democratic darling of the West being rated "lower" than Nigeria. I also dont see how Thailand or Malaysia can in any way be considered more secular than South Africa. I think esere is on to something, even if its in jest - I think this is more of a "ease of doing business" map than anything

I don't even think the map corresponds to any actual data about those countries. Looks more like something drawn up based on someone's personal perception.

1 Like

Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by birdman(m): 4:02am On Jul 09, 2014
where did you get the map btw.
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by AjanleKoko: 6:49pm On Jul 09, 2014
birdman: where did you get the map btw.

Got it from Business Insider. Been trying to dig up this link. Will post it here when I get it.

Aha, it's right here.
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by pickabeau1: 7:36pm On Jul 09, 2014
AjanleKoko:

I think they just picked some nations with similar characteristics.
I noticed the likes of Qatar, Saudi, and UAE, which are more or less traditional monarchy systems and have no elected representatives, are excluded.

ok... since its just a team's opinion. ideally it should be taken with a pinch of salt
However thing like this drive foreign policy
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by tpia5: 7:38pm On Jul 09, 2014
AjanleKoko:

I don't even think the map corresponds to any actual data about those countries. Looks more like something drawn up based on someone's personal perception.

Yours for sure.
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by AjanleKoko: 8:14pm On Jul 09, 2014
tpia5:

Yours for sure.

As much as I'd love to take the credit . . . unfortunately I got this from Business Insider. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by birdman(m): 10:56pm On Jul 09, 2014
AjanleKoko:

Got it from Business Insider. Been trying to dig up this link. Will post it here when I get it.

Aha, it's right here.

Interesting that the editors ofa publication of this caliber would let let this kind of "research" be published. Two pertinet comments from the article, reflective of many others. Good find... I added BI to my reading list sometime ago. Somehow I missed this.

This is the massive hole in the study: Europeans are *extremely traditional* in so many ways - it's utter nonsense to consider them 'non traditional' because they support things like suicide and abortion. In fact- those things are uncommon.

Swedes, Germans etc. have very strong set of behaviors that must be adhered to. Langauge, custom etc..

Walk into a German office: men in suits. There is a high degree of formality and social structure. Even their education system is structured. By Grade 10 - you go academic or working class. *Nobody from the working class* is allowed to innovate and found companies.

Walk into American office: you wear what you want. Anyone can do anything. People who were broke and living on the street can become millionaires. Highly traditional and conservative social culture in Europe does not allow that so much.

The study is typically academic and narrow minded.

This chart explains nothing. Young researchers, future academics, people interested in Worldwide cultures. This chart is:

-politically incorrect
-despotic
-wrongly conceptualized (secularism and rationalism IS a form of tradition)
-ignorant of approved international views of development
-ignorant of the micro-environments lived within countries
-ignorant on new trends of thought
-ignorant of quite a few countries depicted in the graph

DO NOT TAKE THIS CHART SERIOUSLY. This is only pop-internet-content-filling-easy-on-the-eyes-BS

2 Likes

Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by Smartsyn(m): 5:21am On Jul 10, 2014
I passed through here, when i was going to the Politics section...

*waving and passing by*..
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by Nobody: 5:29am On Jul 10, 2014
Near-fairly accurate.
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:50am On Jul 10, 2014
I m yet to see it.
Brb
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by AjanleKoko: 10:48am On Jul 10, 2014
birdman:

Interesting that the editors ofa publication of this caliber would let let this kind of "research" be published. Two pertinet comments from the article, reflective of many others. Good find... I added BI to my reading list sometime ago. Somehow I missed this.

My thoughts exactly when I read this. Some student researchers trying to pigeon-hole the world, based on very limited information that they have. Just by looking at the map you can spot tons of errors. Imagine classifying Zambia and Zimbabwe as 'Islamic countries' undecided
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:25am On Jul 10, 2014
bullshyt map.
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by tonyx4x44(m): 11:44am On Jul 10, 2014
grossly inadequate. undecided
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by esere826: 4:16pm On Jul 10, 2014
AjanleKoko:

As much as I'd love to take the credit . . . unfortunately I got this from Business Insider. undecided

naa
fortunate it wasnt your idea

the tool lacks head or tail
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 10, 2014
Confucianism isn't a religion, it's a philosophy. Asian society is multi-religious. The most widely accepted religion in those listed East Asian countries is Buddhism.

Ethiopia is not only historically, but majority Orthodox Christian. How it landed in "Islamic" over "Orthodox" or even "Africa" is beyond me.

Zambia and Zimbabwe under Islamic?!
Scandinavians under Protestant?!
Etcetera....

Crap map.

1 Like

Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by doctimi(m): 8:37pm On Jul 10, 2014
I don't seem to understand what it means..... I'm I the only one in this category? Can someone show some love by explaining what the map depicts! Abeg me too wan learn! undecided undecided
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by esere826: 1:14pm On Jul 11, 2014
doctimi: I don't seem to understand what it means..... I'm I the only one in this category? Can someone show some love by explaining what the map depicts! Abeg me too wan learn! undecided undecided

usually maps like this helps you understand cultural groupings and how to act on them

For example Hofstede's charts
<http://geert-hofstede.com/nigeria.html>
makes you understand that compared to Nigerians,
a British big man is more likely to ride in the same car
and seat as a poor man -power distance

We are more likely to look out
for one another than the british person -Individualism

However we all have looked at this map/chart
and are surprised that the HBR of Africa came up with it
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by pickabeau1: 1:20pm On Jul 11, 2014
But for it to be published in the Business Insider shows the dearth of editorial quality

Articles like this further reinforce stereotypes

AjanleKoko:

My thoughts exactly when I read this. Some student researchers trying to pigeon-hole the world, based on very limited information that they have. Just by looking at the map you can spot tons of errors. Imagine classifying Zambia and Zimbabwe as 'Islamic countries' undecided
Re: Hierarchy Of Needs And Values - Cultural Perspective by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 11, 2014
EnlightenedSoul: Confucianism isn't a religion, it's a philosophy. Asian society is multi-religious. The most widely accepted religion in those listed East Asian countries is Buddhism.

Ethiopia is not only historically, but majority Orthodox Christian. How it landed in "Islamic" over "Orthodox" or even "Africa" is beyond me.

Zambia and Zimbabwe under Islamic?!
Scandinavians under Protestant?!
Etcetera....

Crap map.

grin grin grin grin The map looks very tongue in cheek to me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Has Only One Ohaneze Ndi-Igbo President — Igbo Leaders / Africans Abroad Using Juju To Catch Oyinbo For Marriage / How Does Carrot Oil Make You Tan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.