Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:16 AM

Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer (5878 Views)

15 Reasons Android Phones Are Better Than The Iphone / Exclusive S60v5 5800 N97 Apps / Download All Games For S60v5 5800 N97 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by zaibatsu(m): 7:48am On Oct 07, 2008
Seems the guys at Nokia have turned the industry on its head. The Nokia 5800 has got it all:
Touch screen, symbian OS S60 5th edition, nHD resolution, 3.2 mpixel cam with Carl Zeiss optics, WLAN, GPS, etc etc. Did i mention it costs just over half the price of an iphone?
Google Nokia 5800 to find out more.
Comments anyone?
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ExInferis(m): 10:16am On Oct 07, 2008
comments:

its not just features that sell a phone its the WOW Factor (coolness), power and ease-of0use.

all of which the iphone has in spades.

sorry, dude, symbian OS just doesnt come close to iphone OSX.

*not to mention that the entire design and concept was lifted off the iphone*
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by zaibatsu(m): 11:24am On Oct 07, 2008
@Ex
Mac fans ahoy, i know you're one Ex. I do appreciate the FACT that Apple reinvented the wheel with the iphone and the ipod touch but innovation is not the exclusive preserve of any one manufacturer.
Remember that the symbian OS community is still the largest smartphone community and there are tons of symbian apps out there.
Talking about ease of use, the symbian OS is that to a 't' millions of users already know that. Don't forget that the iphone still has 3G reception issues. Add this to its being locked to specific carriers and its high cost and you begin to see how economics and smart marketing win out over "coolness".
Often in the real world (Steve Jobs sure is far from there), the product which satisfies the consumer for less will win; remember the VHS vs Betamax wars.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by 4peace(m): 11:56am On Oct 07, 2008
SORRY I DON'T KNOW A TOPIC IS ALREADY ON THIS
HERE IS THE FEATURES

General 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 2100 / 900
HSDPA 850 / 1900 - US version
Announced 2008, October
Status Coming soon. Exp. release 2008, 4Q
Size Dimensions 111 x 51.7 x 15.5 mm, 83 cc
Weight 109 g
Display Type TFT touchscreen, 16M colors
Size 360 x 640 pixels, 3.2 inches
- Proximity sensor for auto turn-off
- Accelerometer sensor for auto-rotate
- Handwriting recognition
Ringtones Type Polyphonic (64 channels), MP3
Customization Download
Vibration Yes
- Stereo speakers
Memory Phonebook Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall
Call records Detailed, max 30 days
Card slot microSD (TransFlash), up to 16GB, 8GB included
- 81 MB internal memory
- 128 MB SDRAM memory
- ARM 11 369 MHz CPU
Data GPRS Class 32
HSCSD Yes
EDGE Class 32
3G HSDPA, 3.6 Mbps
WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, UPnP technology
Bluetooth Yes, v2.0 with A2DP
Infrared port No
USB Yes, v2.0 microUSB
Features OS Symbian OS v9.4, Series 60 rel. 5
Messaging SMS, MMS, Email, Instant Messaging
Browser WAP 2.0/xHTML, HTML, RSS feeds
Games Yes + Java downloadable
Colors Black, Red, Blue
Camera 3.15 MP, 2048x1536 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, video(VGA@30fps), flash; secondary videocall camera
- Built-in GPS receiver
- A-GPS support
- Nokia Maps 2.0 Touch
- Java MIDP 2.0
- MP3/WMA/WAV/eAAC+ player
- MPEG4/WMV/3gp video player
- Stereo FM radio with RDS
- TV out
- 3.5 mm audio output jack
- Voice command/dial
- Document viewer
- T9
- Photo editor
- Built-in handsfree
Battery Standard battery, Li-Ion 1320 mAh(BL-5J)
Stand-by Up to 406 h
Talk time Up to 8 h 45 min

Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by lynxnoon(m): 4:12am On Oct 13, 2008
all iphone fans cry tongue tongue
NOKIA 4 LIFE!! grin grin grin
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ExInferis(m): 1:28pm On Oct 14, 2008
@zaibatsu

very true! innnovation is not the exclusive preserve of one manufacturer, entirely agree. so exactly what is innovative about the 5800?

I'm getting that phone, don't get me wrong, but only for the Comes With Music and cheapo price tag. beyond that its just another symbian XpressMusic with a touchscreen.

Symbian is the biggest community you say and i agree-for now. The success of the Apple AppStore and Androids Application Center and BLackberry's App Shop will soon put an end to that reign.

There is absolutely nothing about the 5800 to generate the kind of buzz and buying spree that both iphones achieved and Symbian will never match OS X for raw power, ease of use, security and stability.

the iphone, besides being a great music/videos/photos/internet/phone device, is also a fabulous gaming device on a par with Sony's PSP. meanwhile Ngage is still a bit rubbishy.

yesterday for the first time i installed Crash, X Plane 9 and CroMag rally on both iphones and I'm simply blown away by the graphics which are almost beyond what my PSP can do.

i don't know why people insist on thinking the 5800 is an iphone killer (there is no such phone currently available; maybe down the horizon especially with the Storm) when Nokia itself does not say so. The iphone has evolved from a media device to an enterprise device, therefore if nokia wishes to compete on almost equal terms it must leverage its E-Series line of products which is business oriented (nokia did not even deem the 5800 as worthy of the coveted N-Series bloodline).

sadly your precious 5800 (which I'm craving) does not integrate native support for enterprise, and infact even the E-Series business devices, though some of then incorporate Blackberry Connect to sync with BES servers alongside Microsoft Exchange support, still run the underpowered Symbian OS. in thsese days of Linux Embedded, Android, Win Mobile 6, Iphone OS X and maemo Symbian just doesnt cut it anymore.

and don't forget the advantage of Iphones Appstore.

so in the following counts, the 5800 doesnt come close to being an iphone killer:

1. OS power

2. Enterprise support

3. Gaming

4. Applications (5800 will not be binary compatible with existing Symbian apps).

5. GPS Location services and awareness in apps (made possible by Iphone Core Location API)

6. Browser/Internet capability

I'm not blinded by fanboyism contrary to your remark; I'm just kepping it real. ive been following the 5800 revolution since it was codenamed the Tube, and ive never been blown away by all i saw (HSDPA etc are standard fare on most phones these days) therefore my commitment to buying it is primarily because of its music capabilities and the Comes With Music drive.

the iphone is not perfect, but its a more advanced business and media device.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by topeteadr(m): 1:39pm On Oct 14, 2008
I'm not an iphone fan, but I have to say u cant compare the iphone to 5800. The iphone has more to it than u can think 'bout. .
But guys N82 won the best Imaging phone. . . Dont 4get 'bout that. . And I was ashamed cuz the iphone didn't . . I'm 'bout 2 check the reason that came 'bout. .
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ExInferis(m): 2:08pm On Oct 14, 2008
tope_teadr:

I'm not an iphone fan, but I have to say u can't compare the iphone to 5800. The iphone has more to it than u can think 'bout. .
But guys N82 won the best Imaging phone. . . don't forget 'bout that. . And I was ashamed because the iphone didn't . . I'm 'bout 2 check the reason that came 'bout. .

quite right.

but very few people actually use their phones to take photos, and megapixels don't always mean better picture quality (its the lens that count and thats why i commend nokia for going with carl zeiss/ tesslar optics). most people already have cams with higher pixel counts in these days of highdef photography and big HD screens. my 5610 XpressMusic has a 3.2mp camera but its rubbish next to my iphones 2mp.

i think the Nokia N85 will set a new standard for phone cameras (and hopefully shut Sonyericsson's CyberShot the hell up). i also think the 5800 will sell in droves especially in europe and the middleeast (and to a lesser extent, africa) because the price is just right. however i think its time nokia starts thinking of a convergent point for its E series and N series to create an Uber Phone. they should also ditch Symbian and embrace one of the many linux variants out there especially as Linux shares the same root with OS X, and Maemo on Nokia's N800/N810 internet tablets is a  full featured and very capable OS that is a joy to use. its browser, a Mini Mozilla firefox, beats Safari hands down and Maemo has an APT installer and lots of free software that are almost as powerful as desktop variants. (google CANOLA 2 and see what i mean).

i don't know why they still insist on using the dated Symbian on newer highend phones. Symbian will never beat OS X, and if nokia wants to make an iphone killer then i believe Maemo is the way to go.

oh, and they also need to do something about gaming; Ngage isnt working.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by topeteadr(m): 2:44pm On Oct 14, 2008
I agree with u. . . . . . I think it's time nokia went 4 something new. .

And what do you think will happen if nokia and apple should join hands to mk a phone. .
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by topeteadr(m): 2:47pm On Oct 14, 2008

And what do you think will happen if nokia and apple should join hands to mk a phone. .
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by topeteadr(m): 2:48pm On Oct 14, 2008

Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ExInferis(m): 3:07pm On Oct 14, 2008
tope_teadr:

an almost inconceivable proposal. whats the benefit? Nokia has nothing on the patent table to tempt Apple (though Apple has multitouch), and such a symbiosis will be a marketing nightmare. remember SonyEricsson? still losing tons of money despite the cool music hardware and cybershots and symbian UIQ etc and the brand.

its a marriage that is soon to unravel, like the painful Daimler-Chrysler divorce.   grin

if there was such a horrible merger, whose OS will the new phones use?

both companies have strong global brand heritage and need no brand restrategizing because it has no benefits in the long run for either company. Its companies losing their segments that shuffle to merge in other to occupy another segment, like Motorola ought to do. besides think of the styling: both companies have distinctive styling easily recognizble like mercedes and BMW. merging will kill that distinctiveness.

not so for others: an LG can look like a Samsung.

hey, maybe LG and Samsung are the ones that ought to enter a partnership (god knows samsung needs a few tricks: I'm still waiting for a software update for the F480 i bought, which now keeps my bro busy, and the Instinct on Sprint's network is a dud).

meanwhile on the need to ditch Symbian and go Linux check out the pix below. APL and  Android, all variances of Linux.

Linux, being open and Android being both free and open, will eventually steal the thunder from iphone.

check out Canola2 here (i installed it last night on the N800; its almost like Vista's media center)

check out the Android Simulator here:  http://tmobile.modeaondemand.com/htc/g1/

Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ExInferis(m): 3:21pm On Oct 14, 2008
have decided to place a few Canola screenies running on Maemo on Nokia's N800/810 Touchscreen device.

will put screens from my device when i get home.

makes you wonder why they dont use the OS that runs such beautiful desktop-like apps on phones proposed to kill the iphone.

you have to see this app to believ it: cool animation and transition effects.

Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by lynxnoon(m): 7:11pm On Oct 14, 2008
@ex-feris
3 thumbs up for u!!
wit all wat u've explained here i now slightly agree dat d Nokia 5800 may not be d iphone killer(dont get me wrong am stil a nokia fan wink wink)
I said slightly because looking at d market here most people wil want somtin new n at a reduced cost n not necessarily wat d fone can do
If u consider d fact dat d amount of techies (like u,bigrovar etc n me grin) dat know d alot about gadgets n not just use of phones for d fun of of it, r not many (i.e in naija here oh! can really say of other african countries undecided)
am telling u--------wen dis 5800 hits naija most iphone users wud go for it just for d so-called "effizy"
Anyhow i tink dats my next fone n till den i stil remain loyal to my nokias 6120 n 3230 grin grin
*but men i trip for screenshots u pasted oh-------very cool*
Cheers
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ExInferis(m): 12:52am On Oct 15, 2008
I quite agree wit u. Myself and a few friends are saving up already to grab a 5800 each. Its a cool looking phone, but my iphones hav nothing to fear.
However i dont think a lot of people buy nokia for just effizy. I think they buy nokia phones for the same reason they buy hp laptops: its their comfort zone.

You know what amuses me? People who think phones havin similar features are the same. How many times ive heard people say 'your phone has a media player, mine has too'. This happened recently wit an uncle of mine who so loves his n93i he cant consider anything. When i got the iphone 3g and was rightfully gloating and preening he demanded to know exactly what it was about the iphone that made it better than his n93. When i mentioned 'ipod' he says big deal, his n93 has a music player. I mentioned safari and he quicky said opera mini. Imagine, can the music player in the n93 come close to the iphone's? Or is opera mini half as good as safari? Or is the n93s camera half as good as the LG Dare's?
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ExInferis(m): 12:53am On Oct 15, 2008
My point is simply this: just because the 5800 also has a touchscreen and music player doesnt means its an equal phone to iphone, nor does having lots of features mean better usability.

But im still buying the 5800. I find it attractive.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by topeteadr(m): 12:58am On Oct 15, 2008
Dude u just hit the nail on the head. . .
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by texazzpete(m): 9:02am On Oct 15, 2008
lynxnoon:

am telling u--------when this 5800 hits naija most iphone users would go for it just for d so-called "effizy"

I really don't think the 5800 ranks anywhere near the iPhone in terms of looks and 'effizy'.

As Neoteny/Ex Inferis said, it's a nice phone. I plan to get it too as it represents excellent value for money at only 279 euros (approx N48000).
Nokia plans to release touchscreen N-series phones, so those will appeal to 'premium' users too, while adding enterprise features.

Meanwhile, early user reviews of the N96 lament an abysmal battery life, freezes and sluggish OS. Those should be fixed by firmware upgrades, but most UK users surveyed do not see much improvement over the N95 8GB.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ExInferis(m): 9:37am On Oct 15, 2008
texazzpete:

I really don't think the 5800 ranks anywhere near the iPhone in terms of looks and 'effizy'.

As Neoteny/Ex Inferis said, it's a nice phone. I plan to get it too as it represents excellent value for money at only 279 euros (approx N48000).
Nokia plans to release touchscreen N-series phones, so those will appeal to 'premium' users too, while adding enterprise features.

Meanwhile, early user reviews of the N96 lament an abysmal battery life, freezes and sluggish OS. Those should be fixed by firmware upgrades, but most UK users surveyed do not see much improvement over the N95 8GB.

i asked myself exactly what, beyond 16gigs, justifies the n96's existence. all that memory doesnt mean much since nokia games are crap and the sreen isnt that big a deal for movies, and I'm willing to bet most anyone getting one probablky already has an ipod or some other music device. what content do you stuff in there?

going to have probs filling 'er up, eh?

its like Nokia is just making phones haphazardly because they could, without thinking whether they should. merging a highend N-series device and an E-series to create a media/enterprise device runnning linux sounds like a better route.

see how blacberry (the butt of jokes in terms of media/entertainment) suddenly is looking hip with the Storm.

prolly realized all work and no play makes Jack Welch a dull man.  grin

ps: still can't get over the initial poster saying "nokia turned the industry on its head with the 5800".

thats a rib-cracker, that one.   grin cheesy grin
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by Jtlyrics(m): 9:57am On Oct 15, 2008
Nice fonez nice specs.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by hayprof(m): 6:27pm On Feb 13, 2009
Guys, I av been sitting Here enjoying your Discussions, . .Great One, . .

@Ex
, u always to the books. . didnt see pete here though, . . grin

Really, I dont av nothing to say about the Iphone nd Nokia issue, . . But wat i do knw is they r BRANDS, . .with their own lovers, . .

E.g You cant Compare 9ice to Usher Raymond (. . .way, far. . . far different)  grin

N.B: Who wan buy my Nokia N95 8GB , . .I am hoping to buy the Nokia 5800 Xpress Music, @ a starting price of 48Geez, . . Its a Good grab, well compared to what we've been getting like the days of Nokia E90 communicator (. . .when some got their for way over a #100Geez. . .)

WHAT ELSE CAN I SAY , . .  I JUST LOVE WHAT I LOVE , . . .  A good High ENd Device. .

Only If the Iphone can convince me, . . to some extent, . . NOkia mite just b GRammar . . .PAST TENSE!!

. . .But for now, . . i rest my Judgement, . .

And Pls, remember, . . Its a Advanced World of Tech we live Nw! . .Some will Die for a MAcbook Pro (OS X), while some will Prefer WIndowXP any day  lipsrsealed

Good Luck!

When you all get your Nokia 5800 devices, dont forget to drop by, . .  Lets hear u Views nd Reviews , . . @Ex, am counting on yours*  wink
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by cabali(m): 5:18pm On Mar 17, 2009
I have spent a good time with the Nokia 5800 and I wonder why people say it's got effizzy??

In the experience, I just felt like I was toying with a china phone at some point.

1. The change from vertical to horizontal is as wierd as it is crappy. The screen goes blank mid-transition. that's unacceptable

2. The flick is not smooth

3. During browsing, sometimes the phone does not know the difference between a click on a link and a click to zoom the page.

They tried all the could to get the iphone or itouch feel and they messed up pretty badly while at it.

So why do u think Nokia wants to clone the iphone. I think even they know that what apple did with the iphone is completely phenomenal.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 17, 2009
To be honest there's no iphone killer even the 5800 is based on 5th edition a revamped 3rd edition with touch support.this nokia tube doesn't even come close towards the iphone. Going through iphone os3.0 firmware features i was blown away.ave never seen features so attractive and good.compare to scrappy updates we get from nokia.games on iphone are on another level.sadly nokia's got the card too but too much kool aid.apples delivers quality and is customer centric all Nokia cares is too increase market share.even the site ngage.uservoice is useless blog.ngage is too low in respondent to be regarded as a community.nokia shud take a seat and mimic iphone or apple services like they always do.by the way don't get caught up the n97 hype.it's just the Widget Runtime that you're seeing on desktop.nothing new the future for nokia is QT platform and symbian foundation open source ,still there's no such thing as iphone killer not even the pre palm.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by cabali(m): 8:22am On Mar 18, 2009
well said!!
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by HC: 10:37am On Mar 20, 2009
I think i'll rather go for the 5800 cause iphone seems a little complicated to me. Though i consider myself techy, i cant stand some complains i get from collegues that use the iphone;besides since 5800 is symbiam, i can get to download enough free applications and stuffs.
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by cabali(m): 4:54pm On Mar 31, 2009
HC:

I think i'll rather go for the 5800 cause iphone seems a little complicated to me. Though i consider myself techy, i cant stand some complains i get from collegues that use the iphone;besides since 5800 is symbiam, i can get to download enough free applications and stuffs.

My friend you are no where near the 'techy' u profess grin
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by lynxnoon(m): 4:14pm On Apr 01, 2009
;dd
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by ChiefD(m): 12:05am On Apr 07, 2009
Do not even think about it! Nokia 5800, an iPhone killer??

What you need to do is simply get your hands on the iPhone AND on the Nokia 5800, that way, you will understand that the iPhone is more of an advanced communications therapy while the Nokia is simply the same ol hype hype.

I own an E90, E71 (on the Nokia chapter) and I see just one thing, you only try to make it work. With the iPhone, it works, you only expect more! - hence the "complains"

Did you know that the surface (Front) of the iPhone is actually scratch resistant?, I mean actually proven to be scratch resistance. You dont want to scratch the surface of your Nokia 5800 - which of course will scratch terribly eventually - as they all do, even with the 8800 that was dubbed "scratch resistant"
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by thegame(m): 12:27am On Apr 07, 2009
chief d, which iphone are u talking about a room mate of mine uses an iphone and believe me, the front and back is scratched as hell. the white back cover is now faded black due to scratches and the front is kinda blurred without the screen on.
generally, i find the phone boring. i would never pick it over my e71 except i aint paying. though it is the first iphone o. even the new one is still the same just an mms and new cover desgn andof course, larger memory. people that wants value for money cant use iphone especially nigerians. no lie abt that
Re: Nokia 5800: The Iphone Killer by lalaboi(m): 1:50am On Apr 07, 2009
the phones crap. . . . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gionee S6S Finally Got Andriod 7.0 Nougat Update / Best 6GB RAM Phones And Their Prices / Which Xiaomi Phone Can I Get That Has AMOLED Display

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.