Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:12 AM

Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. (23442 Views)

Let's Discuss About Indecent Dressing To Church / Atheists Come In Here Quickly...photo! / Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 2:27pm On Jul 04, 2014
Seun
Amanfrommars
Plaetton
Weah96
Urban mystique
Generalshepherd
Freethinker01

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Seun(m): 2:34pm On Jul 04, 2014
Ok, what should we discuss?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by experimentist: 2:37pm On Jul 04, 2014
Seun: Ok, what should we discuss?
Oga, you be atheist?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 2:40pm On Jul 04, 2014
Thanks for your quick response. smiley

Let me start by saying I'm here purely out of the need to know and not because I have any opinion about what others chose to believe in or not believe in.

The atheist mindset is one I've found very intriguing. Maybe because many of them are smart (or appear to be smart)
For atheists in Nigeria a very outwardly religious and pseudo-conservative society,it must take a lot of courage to go against what one has been taught and made to believe all their lives.

So my first and second questions to you Mr Seun.
When did you stop believing?
Why did you stop believing?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by mrking3(m): 3:19pm On Jul 04, 2014
I'm following this topic!!
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Seun(m): 3:19pm On Jul 04, 2014
experimentist: Oga, you be atheist?
Me? No way!

cococandy: When did you stop believing?
About 14 years ago, I think.

Why did you stop believing?
I just decided that I would not give belief the benefit of doubt anymore; I'd only believe if I got some evidence.
What got me to that point is the crashing of my academics, and the way my spirit-filled brethren reacted to it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by GSKing: 3:25pm On Jul 04, 2014
Following and representing.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by losprince(m): 3:27pm On Jul 04, 2014
Seun:
Me? No way!

I just decided that I would not give belief the benefit of doubt anymore; I'd only believe if I got some evidence.
What got me to that point is the crashing of my academics, and the way my spirit-filled brethren reacted to it.
very touching...
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Lanceslot(m): 3:47pm On Jul 04, 2014
Anom here.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 3:58pm On Jul 04, 2014
So you're agnostic then?

Yess. Many religious(spirit filled) folks can be very very unkind. So I think I understand how that can affect one's belief.

How did your folks take your decision?
Does it/has it ever affected your relationship with people?
Seun:

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 3:58pm On Jul 04, 2014
Are you atheist?
GSKing: Following and representing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 3:59pm On Jul 04, 2014
Are you one too?
Lanceslot: Anom here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by GSKing: 4:01pm On Jul 04, 2014
cococandy: Are you atheist?

A pure/unadulterated atheist.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 04, 2014
cheesy
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by GeneralShepherd(m): 4:06pm On Jul 04, 2014
I am here!

What made me loose faith? The inefficacy of prayers did the magic for me. If it worked god did it,if it didn't it's not god's will and if you ask questions you are damned.

It during my journey after youth service in my quest for a job that I realised god doesn't exist
Intact I landed my first job when I discarded the idea of God.

9 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 4:06pm On Jul 04, 2014
Here are some frequently asked questions for atheists.
Anyone feel free to pick any number and explain to me what they think.

[b]1. Are you absolutely sure there is no God? If not, then is it not possible that there is a God? And if it is possible that God exists, then can you think of any reason that would keep you from wanting to look at the evidence?

2. Would you agree that intelligently designed things call for an intelligent designer of them? If so, then would you agree that evidence for intelligent design in the universe would be evidence for a designer of the universe?

3. Would you agree that nothing cannot produce something? If so, then if the universe did not exist but then came to exist, wouldn’t this be evidence of a cause beyond the universe?

4. Would you agree with me that just because we cannot see something with our eyes—such as our mind, gravity, magnetism, the wind—that does not mean it doesn’t exist?

5. Would you also agree that just because we cannot see God with our eyes does not necessarily mean He doesn’t exist?

6. In the light of the big bang evidence for the origin of the universe, is it more reasonable to believe that no one created something out of nothing or someone created something out of nothing?

7. Would you agree that something presently exists? If something presently exists, and something cannot come from nothing, then would you also agree that something must have always existed?

8. If it takes an intelligent being to produce an encyclopedia, then would it not also take an intelligent being to produce the equivalent of 1000 sets of an encyclopedia full of information in the first one-celled animal? (Even atheists such as Richard Dawkins acknowledges that “amoebas have as much information in their DNA as 1000 Encyclopaedia Britannicas.” Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker (New York: WW. Norton and Co., 1996), 116.)

9. If an effect cannot be greater than its cause (since you can’t give what you do not have to give), then does it not make more sense that mind produced matter than that matter produced mind, as atheists say?

10. Is there anything wrong anywhere? If so, how can we know unless there is a moral law?

11. If every law needs a lawgiver, does it not make sense to say a moral law needs a Moral Lawgiver?

12. Would you agree that if it took intelligence to make a model universe in a science lab, then it took super-intelligence to make the real universe?

13. Would you agree that it takes a cause to make a small glass ball found in the woods? And would you agree that making the ball larger does not eliminate the need for a cause? If so, then doesn’t the biggest ball of all (the whole universe) need a cause?

14. If there is a cause beyond the whole finite (limited) universe, would not this cause have to be beyond the finite, namely, non-finite or infinite?

15. In the light of the anthropic principle (that the universe was fine-tuned for the emergence of life from its very inception), wouldn’t it make sense to say there was an intelligent being who preplanned human life?[/b]

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by TRADELYN: 4:06pm On Jul 04, 2014
grin...hmmm!

As For me, I believe in GoD, the Alpha and Omega!!!

FOR RESEARCH PURPOSE...

*Taking notes*

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 4:08pm On Jul 04, 2014
Ok. I'd like to hear your thoughts regarding any of the above listed questions
GeneralShepherd: I am here!

What made me loose faith? The inefficacy of prayers did the magic for me. If it worked god did it,if it didn't it's not god's will and if you ask questions you are damned.

It during my journey after youth service in my quest for a job that I realised god doesn't exist
Intact I landed my first job when I discarded the idea of God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Lanceslot(m): 4:08pm On Jul 04, 2014
cococandy: Are you one too?
Yea! Am a free thinker....
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by hayoakins(m): 4:08pm On Jul 04, 2014
Seun:

@ the bolded...do you mind sharing , I really wanna know

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 4:09pm On Jul 04, 2014
Granted smiley
Martian: Permission to participate. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 4:10pm On Jul 04, 2014
Ok then.
Share your thoughts
Lanceslot: Yea! Am a free thinker....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 4:11pm On Jul 04, 2014
Can I ask you a very personal question?
GSKing:

A pure/unadulterated atheist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by GSKing: 4:14pm On Jul 04, 2014
cococandy: Can I ask you a very personal question?

Freedom of speech/post @op
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by dagr8(m): 4:15pm On Jul 04, 2014
Hmmm..*following*
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 4:19pm On Jul 04, 2014
GSKing:

Freedom of speech/post @op

Ok. But you can refuse to answer if the question displeases you pls.

I've followed your posts for a while and it seems you're gay.
So I'd like to understand what the gay position on God's existence/non existence is.
Are there gays who believe in God?
Do most gays fall out of belief because no orthodox religion supports it?

Personally,are you atheist because believers act uppity and judge you?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by toluxa1(m): 4:31pm On Jul 04, 2014
Seun , Was it the crashing of your academics or your people's reaction to it? Which one exactly? Maybe you need to hear my own story and how/where God turned out to be Supreme in-spite of my own 'crash'.

7 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by experimentist: 4:35pm On Jul 04, 2014
Seun:
Me? No way!
Na who you dey pray to si'r?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 04, 2014
I'm not an atheist because I don't have a reason to affirm or deny the existence of mythical creatures.
God or Gods are only found in the myths and legends of cultures, and every god that I've ever heard of is always partial to the culture that worshipped or worship it.

As is well known, the ubiquitous nature of the three desert religions is the result of wars, slavery and colonialism.
After performing the resurrection trick in ancient Israel, Jesus didn't crawl out of another virgin's a$$ in Umuahia and repeat the trick for the Igbos. No! Some europeans had to get the story first, then bring it to Africa at the point of a sword. Likewise, the Europeans didn't know about a God named Chukwu before they met the igbos.

Each story about a god sounds as far fetched as the next, so why place one culture on a pedestal and call their bullshit story factual??

Afterall, Obatala created humans from the mud in Ile-Ife, Yahweh created the first human from mud in the Garden of Eden, Zeus and the Olympians lived on Mt. Olympus, which just happens to be the biggest mountain known to the ancient Greeks.

Why should I consider Yahweh a Jewish myth, Zeus a Greek myth but Obatala has the creator of the world and everything we see?

Why do people take Obatala as a god created in the minds of ancient Yoruba spiritualists and why do people view the Greek gods as creations of clever Greek writers; but Yahweh is not the creation of some ancient Jews??

In my opinion,if there is a being responsible for what we call the universe, that being would be out of the scope of our intellectual abilities. We won't be able to discern its existence unless it makes itself or themselves known.

24 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by iamtewwy(m): 4:49pm On Jul 04, 2014
toluxa1: Seun , Was it the crashing of your academics or your people's reaction to it? Which one exactly? Maybe you need to hear my own story and how/where God turned out to be Supreme in-spite of my own 'crash'.
ok his education crashed and he falls out of belive, urs too crashed and ur god turned out to b supreme in ur own case but can u argue that presently seun is d boss! and today he is more very very far more important than u are? pls who are u? who know u?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 04, 2014
Apatheist here.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 04, 2014
cococandy: Seun
Amanfrommars
Plaetton
Weah96
Urban mystique
Generalshepherd
Freethinker01
AManFromMars deactivated his account.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Shiloh: I Became A Minister After Bishop Oyedepo Prayed For Me - Betta Edu / Chris Oyakhilome Celebrates His 56th Birthday Today / Sam Adeyemi Accepted Into The Forbes Coaching Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.