Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees (14785 Views)

LASU Students Celebrate Old School Day / LASU Students Get Excess Fee Refund / Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by abbay19(m): 12:18am On Jul 05, 2014
The new tuition fees range from N76,750 to N158,250.
The Lagos State University, LASU, Students Union, on Thursday directed its members not to pay the new tuition fees until a further reduction was made by the state government.
This was disclosed in a press statement, signed by the Union’s President, Nurudeen Yusuf.
It said that the tuition fee was high, in view of the economic situation of the state, when compared to the relative fees payable in other universities across the country.
The state governor, Babatunde Fashola, had on June 11, announced a 34 per cent to 60 per cent reduction on the LASU tuition fees. This was sequel to protests from the students and civil society groups.
The University’s Governing Council had on June 20 released a breakdown of the new tuition fees which ranged from N76, 750 to N158, 250.
It was against the increase in fees announced in 2011, from N25, 000 to N198, 000 for humanities and education, while medical students were required to pay N348, 000.
However, the students union insisted that the fees be reduced to N46, 500 for returning students and N65, 500 for fresh students, as proposed by them to the governor.
Meanwhile, the LASU management had on June 23 recalled students from recess, directing them to commence payment of the new tuition fees and their registration. This was in spite of the on-going lecturers’ strike that started on May 20.
The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, SSANU, LASU Chapter, had also been on strike since May 26.
The Students’ Union said its decision was taken at a meeting on June 30.
“Following the meeting, the union resolved that students should resume with immediate effect but strongly warns that no student should pay the fee, until further notice,” the statement said.
It, however, called for the reduction or withdrawal of some charges such as: acceptance fee, tuition, caution and field trip/teaching practice levy.
According to the statement, other charges the students requested for reduction include laboratory and practical/workshop/studio work.
The statement also rejected the July 6 deadline for payments and tasked the management to suspend payment of the fees until the union concludes negotiations with the government.
It also noted that students who paid cannot access the registration portal.
The statement added that the students complained that the management had yet to resolve some pending issues with the Quick Teller.
“SSANU is also on strike, hence there is no one to attend to issues relating to inability to register for our courses and problems with payment,” the statement noted.
It stated that the union remained unrelenting and consistent in its agitation against the hike, which it said, negated the founding ideology of the university.
(NAN). http://m.premiumtimesng.com/news/164357-again-lasu-students-reject-new-fees.html

1 Like

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by bennygreat1(m): 12:37am On Jul 05, 2014
This is serious!!! Another season again I guess!
Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by NaLaugh: 4:30am On Jul 05, 2014
Anything over 100,000 is irresponsible of a goverment which barely pays its civil servants any money.

18 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by PastorOluT(m): 4:31am On Jul 05, 2014
Is there any hope for education in this nation?

Don't get me wrong, this is not a matter of being pessimistic or negative bt considering all the facts. The future looks bleak I tell you.

7 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by Dominionng(m): 4:31am On Jul 05, 2014
Ghen ghen... *spreads mat at front row*

Una see why I seldom pay DSTV subscription fee? Why should I buy a software when I can download it for free! Hehe... Dramas happening in Gidi lately, it seems Fashola is the new president of Nollywood grin

I Love This City...

13 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by shaggy007(m): 4:32am On Jul 05, 2014
However, the students union insisted that the fees be reduced to N46, 500 for returning students and N65, 500 for fresh students, as proposed by them to the governor.

Why should the governor agree to their proposal and then execute something else? Haba. Na everything you go play politics with?

I bet he agreed to the proposal just to dismiss the students that camped and cooked beans in front of his office.

But let's not crucify Fashola entirely. LASU is owned by the state. I'm sure they must have estimated the current cost of running the school, and even removed some unnecessary expenses. Hence the reduction again in the fees.

Abeg, if una want quality education, you'll have to pay for it. Otherwise, remember that education is not compulsory for success.

15 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by ayukdaboss(m): 4:35am On Jul 05, 2014
Operation Cook More Beans grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by LordMecuzy(m): 4:38am On Jul 05, 2014
Double Wahala for APC

2 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by mencade5(m): 4:38am On Jul 05, 2014
Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by Aphex(m): 4:40am On Jul 05, 2014
Well, #crossed fingers
Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by bunmioguns(m): 4:41am On Jul 05, 2014
great... I really support the students... aluta continua... the funniest thing is that most of these leaders are product of Free Education...

4 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by Mization(m): 4:42am On Jul 05, 2014
The only good news I heard this week is of the Nigerian who got employed in a University in Asia, others have been bad news and that's how we've had it in a while now.. Are Nigerians Allergic to good news?

1 Like

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by ayukdaboss(m): 4:43am On Jul 05, 2014
mencade5: is lagos state trying to turn lasu into a private school?
What a useless idea coming from people that once benefitted from the system, who now turns it into a money making venture.
I think the state government should be sue so that this issue should be trash once and for all.

haha..all this grammar na for 'likes' so? grin

2 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by gbaskiboy: 4:45am On Jul 05, 2014
Boko haram means Education is bad, government deprives us of it, are the two not mean thesame? If the governor should be in our shoe, he will definitely knw the effect of tuition fees in our pockets. They promised us Free education, is this how they want to fulfil their promise? Education is our right we should not chafes under our right we need total reduction of tuition fees or nothing. BRF do something

1 Like

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by adebrave1(m): 4:45am On Jul 05, 2014

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by shaggy007(m): 4:47am On Jul 05, 2014
What a useless idea coming from people that once benefitted from the system, who now turns it into a money making venture.
I think the state government should be sue so that this issue should be trash once and for all.

ayukdaboss:

Omo, the guy dey vex sotay he don forget how to speak. He should be arrested for the murder of the English language.

12 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:47am On Jul 05, 2014
They shld try that with kogi state, where the governor simply wldnt give a fucck. School teachers go on strike for over a year! Only private schools strive in that God-forsaken state

3 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by Dominionng(m): 4:48am On Jul 05, 2014
My Prediction:

What happened in 1860 will soon repeat itself in Lagos State cheesy grin
Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by Gbade60: 4:49am On Jul 05, 2014
E fi won le, won fe te

2 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by Dominionng(m): 4:53am On Jul 05, 2014

Bros... cheesy Are u an alumnus of Otuoke community school? #justasking

1 Like

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by Shollay20(m): 4:55am On Jul 05, 2014
Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by Nobody: 4:55am On Jul 05, 2014
What a useless idea coming from people that once benefited from the system, who now turns it into a money making venture.

The problem is that university education is not cheap. Add the fact that our students cannot compete against an increasing number of foreign and Nigerian graduates of foreign universities because of bad facilities/insufficient facilities, and the fact that LASU may need hundreds of billions of naira(for expanding and improving facilities) to compete against foreign universities.....and one would see why fees have to go up.

It also costs N600000 (six hundred thousand naira ) per annum to train a Nigerian university graduate (Afe Babalola puts it at N2million).

And this is not an issue just for Lagos.....at least three federal univeristies have increased fees.

Once ASUU was told by the Federal Government last year that increased funds for univeristies was no longer a possibility (and that is why Polytechnics are STILL on strike....because the Govt is telling them that there is no extra cash)....increased fees became a possibility. LASU is being realistic.

Either we increase fees.....or LASU students won't be able to compete in the new globalised economy....where even while applying for jobs from Nigerian companies....you are now cometing against foreign graduates, and rich Nigerian kids with foreign degrees.

As Mark Amaza said three years ago in this article(link: http://www.nigeriadialogue.com/2012/01/30/nigerian-educational-subsidy-fallacy/)

[b]I believe that reducing the subsidy levels on tertiary education (read...increasing university fees)will free up more money for governments to invest in basic education, especially states and local governments. Public basic education systems should be given the highest priority possible. This is because it is the only vehicle that can deliver education en masse. The norm should be that everyone should be comfortable going to public primary and secondary schools, [/b]and private schools to be only for the upper class. The federal government should set the overall policy for education but leave it for the states and local governments to implement it. They should provide funding for implementation of specific policies, such as increased science education and so on as the policy states.

States should individually craft policies for better basic education delivery, either through the creation of school districts or making sure, for example, that there is a minimum of one primary school per ward and a secondary school for 3-4 contiguous wards. Also, these schools should have the best infrastructure, from classrooms to laboratories to workshops and so on. There should be upgrading of curricula to attracting the best into the teaching profession. Each state should set targets for measuring improvements and quality, upon which funding should be dependent. These targets should also include the percentage of graduating students that go on to tertiary institutions. Also, local governments should be better strengthened to improve primary education, with the oversight and funding of the state.

P.S Fashola graduated back in the 80'S when there were less than 100,000 students. Nowadays, there are more than 2million university students (in federal universities .....BRF graduated from UNiben).

PS.2....That $90million World Bank loan....don't put your hopes in it, because it is going to be paid back in full by your children in the form of high fees.

3 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by Nobody: 4:57am On Jul 05, 2014
gbaskiboy: Boko haram means Education is bad, government deprives us of it, are the two not mean thesame? If the governor should be in our shoe, he will definitely knw the effect of tuition fees in our pockets. They promised us Free education, is this how they want to fulfil their promise? Education is our right we should not chafes under our right we need total reduction of tuition fees or nothing. BRF do something

Any Govt who shouts free education is not telling you the truth.

The oil money is not enough.

1 Like

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by Big4wig(m): 5:03am On Jul 05, 2014
Hmm
Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by mencade5(m): 5:05am On Jul 05, 2014
ayukdaboss:

likes? Hahaha...i dont crave for likes. Am just venting my anger on the state government. The hardship these student go through on a daily basis is quite pitiable.

Pardon my error, no one is beyond mistakes. I just dey wake up from sleep oooo

2 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by ayukdaboss(m): 5:05am On Jul 05, 2014
bushdoc9919:

The problem is that university education is not cheap. Add the fact that our students cannot compete against an increasing number of foreign and Nigerian graduates of foreign universities, and the fact that LASU may need hundreds of billions of naira to compete against foreign universities.....and one would see why fees have to go up.

It also costs N600000 (six hundred thousand naira ) per annum to train a Nigerian university graduate (Afe Babalola puts it at N2million).

And this is not an issue just for Lagos.....at least three federal univeristies have increased fees.

Once ASUU was told by the Federal Government last year that increased funds for univeristies was no longer a possibility (and that is why Polytechnics are STILL on strike....because the Govt is telling them that there is no extra cash)....increased fees became a possibility. LASU is being realistic.

Either we increase fees.....or LASU students won't be able to compete in the new globalised economy....where even while applying for jobs from Nigerian companies....you are now cometing against foreign graduates, and rich Nigerian kids with foreign degrees.

As Mark Amaza said three years ago in this article(link: http://www.nigeriadialogue.com/2012/01/30/nigerian-educational-subsidy-fallacy/)

[b]I believe that reducing the subsidy levels on tertiary education (read...increasing university fees)will free up more money for governments to invest in basic education, especially states and local governments. Public basic education systems should be given the highest priority possible. This is because it is the only vehicle that can deliver education en masse. The norm should be that everyone should be comfortable going to public primary and secondary schools, [/b]and private schools to be only for the upper class. The federal government should set the overall policy for education but leave it for the states and local governments to implement it. They should provide funding for implementation of specific policies, such as increased science education and so on as the policy states.

States should individually craft policies for better basic education delivery, either through the creation of school districts or making sure, for example, that there is a minimum of one primary school per ward and a secondary school for 3-4 contiguous wards. Also, these schools should have the best infrastructure, from classrooms to laboratories to workshops and so on. There should be upgrading of curricula to attracting the best into the teaching profession. Each state should set targets for measuring improvements and quality, upon which funding should be dependent. These targets should also include the percentage of graduating students that go on to tertiary institutions. Also, local governments should be better strengthened to improve primary education, with the oversight and funding of the state.

Who told you those students are interested in competing with foreign students? They just want the fees reduced...Even if it means having lectures in dilapidated buildings. I feel sorry for them.

2 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by ayukdaboss(m): 5:07am On Jul 05, 2014
mencade5: likes? Hahaha...i dont crave for likes. Am just venting my anger on the state government. The hardship these student go through on a daily basis is quite pitiable.

Pardon my error, no one is beyond mistakes. I just dey wake up from sleep oooo

I never complained about your grammar smiley

1 Like

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by mencade5(m): 5:08am On Jul 05, 2014
shaggy007:

Omo, the guy dey vex sotay he don forget how to speak. He should be arrested for the murder of the English language.
una dey mad oooo. Na vex i take write that thing jare...hahaha...if u na prof for english why u never write book?

3 Likes

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by justi4jesu(f): 5:08am On Jul 05, 2014
Which way Nigeria cry
Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by Nobody: 5:09am On Jul 05, 2014
Anybody going to LASU has a lot of time on his/her hand and is on a long thing, but...

Re: Again, LASU Students Reject New Fees by dorange(m): 5:09am On Jul 05, 2014
shaggy007:

Why should the governor propose something and execute something else? Haba. Na everything you go play politics with?

I bet he made the proposal just to dismiss the students that camped and cooked beans in front of his office.

But let's not crucify Fashola entirely. LASU is owned by the state. I'm sure they must have estimated the current cost of running the school, and even removed some unnecessary expenses. Hence the reduction again in the fees.

Abeg, if una want quality education, you'll have to pay for it. Otherwise, remember that education is not compulsory for success.
English is your problem., read and understand what you bolded in the original post.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which University Is Most Renowned For Cultism In Nigeria / The Earth Surface Is Flat!!! 200 Proofs / UNN Student Who Claimed Unfair Treatment By His Supervisor, Clears The Air

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.