Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,564 members, 7,809,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) (11268 Views)

Anambra Government Fixes Nkpor Flyover After Online Protests / Nkpor Express Way Anambra State About To Be Washed By Flood Pics / Another Church Building Collapses In Edo (Real Life Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by Harmvirus(f): 5:20pm On Jul 05, 2014
This happened this morning in Mgbuka Nkpor in Anambra State. No casualty as the building is still under construction.

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 05, 2014
Ihe nke a adigo too much

4 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by idumuose(m): 5:57pm On Jul 05, 2014
Ihe nke a adigo too much true true.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by Silenzer(m): 6:03pm On Jul 05, 2014
These contractor keep on amazing me. the other day a building collapsed in Fegge, com see tiny tiny rods the builders where using to suspend a 5storey building. Plz Gov. Obiano should put stiff penalty for contractors their building collapses.

7 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by agriboom: 6:27pm On Jul 05, 2014
I'm sure this has dangote cement written all over it, those of us building know the company sold dust to us in form of cement just before they changed their bag, I had terrible finishing even though I was getting my supply right from the company (as in the truck was off loading at my site) not from deport, had to do a lot of things all over again! angry

13 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 05, 2014
Look at that building very well, It looks like an old one storey building they were trying to add more upstairs.
I dont think the foundation was meant for a five storey building.
Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by NwaNimo1(m): 6:36pm On Jul 05, 2014
Old building: wrong cement/sand mix? + rusty rods = instability.

I think the problem is when people take 10-20 years to erect a structure - whilst its sitting there its open to the elements and the fabric of the building is sure to deteriorate.
Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by MayorofLagos(m): 6:37pm On Jul 05, 2014
Ibos should be banned from construction business. No where in West ever recorded collapsed buildings untill Ibo started putting up structures in Yorubaland with substandard materials and cutting corners with expense.

Every month there is a collapsed building somewhere in alaibo.

Ibo and substandard go together like like rice and stew! Ibo should be banned from building any structure in Nigeria, bungalow or multistorey. They are yet to discover and master the secrets of urban planning and development......their inherent cave habits and nature has not been cured and they will ruin us all if not stopped NOW! angry

9 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by stingg(m): 6:43pm On Jul 05, 2014
Mayor_of_Lagos: Ibos should be banned from construction business. No where in West ever recorded collapsed buildings untill Ibo started putting up structures in Yorubaland with substandard materials and cutting corners with expense.

Ibo and substandard go together like like rice and stew! Ibo should be banned from building any structure in Nigeria, bungalow or multistorey. They are yet to discover and master the secrets of urban planning and development......their inherent cave habits and nature has not been cured and they will ruin us all if not stopped NOW! angry
Smh undecided undecided

8 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by eaglechild: 6:46pm On Jul 05, 2014
Thank God no life was lost.

This Lagos phenomenon is beginning to creep into the SE.

I hope omonile contractors have not starting finding their way to Onitsha.

24 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by dubienatti(m): 6:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
Mayor_of_Lagos: Ibos should be banned from construction business. No where in West ever recorded collapsed buildings untill Ibo started putting up structures in Yorubaland with substandard materials and cutting corners with expense.

ok.. ibo don hear watin u talk n ibo will think about it....

16 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by size38: 8:28pm On Jul 05, 2014
Rituals at work here

1 Like

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by levelszik(m): 9:00pm On Jul 05, 2014

Who is this amu anu?

16 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by ojimbo(m): 10:07pm On Jul 05, 2014
size38: Rituals at work here
words of a fool. What then are the works of ASUDEB? all i can say is corruption every where. Anambra need an effective town planning
Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by Abagworo(m): 10:15pm On Jul 05, 2014
A cement dealer told me today that buildings started collapsing in Nigeria since a particular man was given cement monopoly and that they doubt the quality of his cements. I think something needs to be done. Thousands of 5 storey buildings were erected in the Southeast between 1970 and 2003 with very minimal cases of collapse. Why then has it suddenly become a regular occurrence since 2007?

10 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by Dymaco(m): 10:20pm On Jul 05, 2014
Harmvirus: This happened this morning in Mgbuka Nkpor in Anambra State. No casualty as the building is still under construction.
Do you live at nkpor
Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by xtremely9ja: 10:23pm On Jul 05, 2014
I was in Onitsha recently on a working visit to some construction sites and you can't but notice the poor construction practices going on all over the place all in the name of wanting to have a multi storey building like everyone else. The inept government and the relevant authorities also are not helping matters because it was obvious nothing is been done to ensure compliance with the relevant building codes and laws.
Noticeable among other things on all the sites are;

1. Absence of professional
2. Construction of floors above the approved
3. Poor or non existence of structural drawing
4. Usage of brittle, light weight poorly grade iron ore instead of well graded crushed aggregate. ( because it's cheap)
5. No mix design nor trial mixes before commencement of job
6. Excessive free water cement ratio
7. Inadequate reinforcement
8. Over proportioning of fines above coarse aggregate
9. Over proportioning of aggregates because a cement producer advertised a cement three times stronger, with more yield. (which is false)
10. Poor and weak sandcrete blocks
and the list goes on and on.

Until the government stops playing politics with the lives of the people by clamping down on the informal sector of the construction industry more lives are bound to be lost.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by Harmvirus(f): 10:25pm On Jul 05, 2014
Dymaco:
Do you live at nkpor
Yes, I do
Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by cjrane: 10:29pm On Jul 05, 2014
Evergreen123: Ihe nke a adigo too much
An epidemic of substandard cement and fake iron rods. Many cement sellers now re-bag cement with grey colored clay.
Likewise, nobody can vouch for the quality of some so called "Made in Nigeria cement"
There should be a random sampling of bags of cement in the market to identify the fake ones and destroy them immediately.Also, maintain surveillance on the quality and type of so called "made in nigeria cement" sold in the market now.

xtremely9ja: [s]I was in Onitsha recently on a working visit to some construction sites and you can't but notice the poor construction practices going on all over the place all in the name of wanting to have a multi storey building like everyone else. The inept government and the relevant authorities also are not helping matters because it was obvious nothing is been done to ensure compliance with the relevant building codes and laws.

4. Usage of brittle, light weight poorly grade iron ore instead of well graded crushed aggregate. ( because it's cheap)
9. Over proportioning of aggregates because a cement producer advertised a cement three times stronger, with more yield. (which is false)

Until the government stops playing politics with the lives of the people by clamping down on the informal sector of the construction industry more lives are bound to be lost.[/s]

Crap!
Your reasons could have been true if the collapse had not been specifically restricted to newer buildings still under construction.
99 percent of the buildings built in Onitsha from Woliwo, Fegge,Omaba etc happened after the civil war or atleast 40 years ago. They were mostly built without the so called "Professionals", but the cement and the iron rods were all good quality. Those buildings are still standing today.

The present epidemic of collapse happen with NEW buildings done with NEW fake CEMENT and fake Iron rods presently in the market NOW!

9 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by Dymaco(m): 10:49pm On Jul 05, 2014
Harmvirus:
Yes, I do
No problem
Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by ojimbo(m): 11:06pm On Jul 05, 2014
xtremely9ja: I was in Onitsha recently on a working visit to some construction sites and you can't but notice the poor construction practices going on all over the place all in the name of wanting to have a multi storey building like everyone else. The inept government and the relevant authorities also are not helping matters because it was obvious nothing is been done to ensure compliance with the relevant building codes and laws.

Until the government stops playing politics with the lives of the people by clamping down on the informal sector of the construction industry more lives are bound to be lost.
you forgot to mention the poor states of those narrow roads in anambra. Useless govt
Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by WIZGUY69(m): 11:15pm On Jul 05, 2014
GOD WILL CON'T TO PROTECT OUR SOUTH YEAST BROTHERS O. DEY COME EVEN STINGY ONTOP THERE OWN CAVE AGAIN.
I PRAY THAT YOUR STINGINESS WILL NOT WIPE ALL OF YOU OUT FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.
cheesy wink

4 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by xtremely9ja: 11:21pm On Jul 05, 2014
cjrane:
An epidemic of substandard cement and fake iron rods. Many cement sellers now re-bag cement with grey colored clay.
Likewise, nobody can vouch for the quality of some so called "Made in Nigeria cement"
There should be a random sampling of bags of cement in the market to identify the fake ones and destroy them immediately.

Crap!
Your reasons could have been true if the collapse had not been specifically restricted to newer buildings still under construction.
99 percent of the buildings built in Onitsha from Woliwo, Fegge,Omaba etc happened after the civil war or atleast 40 years ago. They were mostly built without the so called "Professionals", but the cement and the iron rods were all good quality. Those buildings are still standing today.

The present epidemic of collapse happen with NEW buildings done with NEW fake CEMENT and fake Iron rods presently in the market NOW!

If you know that the houses that were built back then were with good cement, good reinforcement bars by the supposedly non professional with proper supervision by the relevant authority and the buildings are still standing, why are you rooting for the continuous engagement of unsupervised, unknowledgeable quarks who can not identity the fake cement, fake reinforcement bars and design errors.
Secondly, Will there be cement and reinforcement bars in the market if the government have been doing their job?
Just try and be objective in your criticism, fake cement, fake reinforcement bars and fake engineers what do you now have?
Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by xtremely9ja: 11:30pm On Jul 05, 2014
ojimbo: you forgot to mention the poor states of those narrow roads in anambra. Useless govt

Since when has narrow roads started causing building collapses? undecided

9 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jul 05, 2014

8 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by ojimbo(m): 5:45am On Jul 06, 2014
xtremely9ja:

Since when has narrow roads started causing building collapses? undecided
did i call for your quote, are you living with us in anambra here? Why cant you allow me to express my view in the problems that lies in anambra with this little media opportunity
Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:50am On Jul 06, 2014
The problem of gully erosion should be addressed as a matter of urgency so as to make people not to be build storey buildings like they now do.
Anambra adigo mma.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by Chino72: 7:53am On Jul 06, 2014
Don't mind the clown! This is the city of Onitsha the economic hub of the East!

softsparkyy:
I wonder oooo.
some people are just senseless.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 06, 2014
Orlando Owoh: The problem of gully erosion should be addressed as a matter of urgency so as to make people not to be build storey buildings like they now do.
Anambra adigo mma.
I just learnt that Anambra is the worst hit in the whole of the subsaharan africa when it comes to the menace of Gulley erosin and Landslide.

The ecological funds the successive anambra state government have gotten from the FG and World bank to find a lasting solution to the Erosin menace have all been embezzeled by their greedy Governors and politicians

4 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by Chino72: 9:27am On Jul 06, 2014
Yolobarman go back to school. Free substandard education, free food, free..free!!!

You should be more concerned that you people that are still living in red earth mud houses in the 21s century! Erosion is everywhere!

See the correction I have made on your gibberish! Go and complete your JS1

lakhadimar: I just learnt that Anambra is the worst hit in the whole of the subsaharan africa when it comes to the menace of Gulley erosin erosion and Landslide.

The ecological funds the successive anambra state government have gotten from the FG and World bank to find a lasting solution to the Erosin erosion menace have all been embezzeled embezzled by their greedy Governors and politicians

11 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by Nobody: 9:37am On Jul 06, 2014
lakhadimar: I just learnt that Anambra is the worst hit in the whole of the subsaharan africa when it comes to the menace of Gulley erosin and Landslide.

The ecological funds the successive anambra state government have gotten from the FG and World bank to find a lasting solution to the Erosin menace have all been embezzeled by their greedy Governors and politicians

Same way Oyo govt embezzled the funds for flood control and flood killed ur ppl.

What has Lagos done with the flood loans they have been collecting? See how large Lagos debt profile is!
Yet, Lagos is the most flooded state in the country

12 Likes

Re: 5 Storey Building Collapses In Mgbuka, Nkpor (pics) by Chino72: 9:47am On Jul 06, 2014
This was what I saw in Lagos few day ago. With all the loans and loans this is it!

Evergreen123:

Same way Oyo govt embezzled the funds for flood control and flood killed ur ppl.

What has Lagos done with the flood loans they have been collecting? See how large Lagos debt profile is!
Yet, Lagos is the most flooded state in the country

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

We Want Pay, Not Solidarity Strike, Ekiti Workers Tell Fayose / Over 160,000 APC Members Defect To PDP In Adamawa / Soludo Officially Joins APGA!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.