Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,841 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:02 AM

You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG (42290 Views)

Will You Pay To Watch A Nigerian Cinema Movie? / Hot New Free TV Series Download Website Discovered!! / To Watch Nigerian Movies Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jul 05, 2014
Here’s the news in brief:
Nigerians who own
television sets will soon have to pay
“annual content access fee” to improve
content and infrastructure of the country’s
broadcasting stations.
The fee is similar to the TV licence paid in
the UK ─ which is used to fund the British
Broadcasting Corporation (BBC).
As a result, the BBC does not accept
advertisements in the UK because it is
financed with tax payers’ money.
Government-owned broadcast stations in
Nigeria run on subventions as well as
advertising revenue.
Nigeria currently operates a radio licence
regime which is considered ineffective.
However, the federal government said it
would introduce “content access fee” to
replace radio licence fee ahead of
Nigeria’s migration to digital terrestrial
television broadcasting by 2015.
Information minister Labaran Maku made
this known at the opening of the extra
ordinary meeting of the National Council of
Information (NCI) in Abuja.
Maku said the planned content access fee,
which was currently undergoing final
adjustments, was expected to get the nod
of the federal executive council before the
migration.
He said that government and other
stakeholders would leverage on the new
technology to make the new format more
effective than the archaic radio licence
fees format.
Maku explained: “For a long time radio
licences have not been collected and in
other countries the public broadcast
services are run from fees collected on
broadcast content.
“But unfortunately in our country, the
existing constitutional provision has made
fee collection less effective.
“Now, we are undertaking a new format.
We are taking advantage of the digital
technology and looking beyond sending
people to go from place to place to collect
fees for broadcast content.”
According to him, under this new regime,
anyone seeking access to television content
has to pay an annual content access fee.
The minister outlined some of the
advantages of the new broadcast content
fee collection regime to include improved
financial capability for stakeholders “to
improve content and upgrade
infrastructure”.
He said this would help the Nigeria
Broadcasting Commission and other
stakeholders have access to adequate
funds for sustained upgrade of their
infrastructure for effective service delivery.
On the NCI meeting, Maku said Nigeria
was at crossroads to either transit
smoothly or risk being cut-off from the rest
of the world by June 2015 when the global
migration deadline takes effect.

www.thecable.ng/youll-soon-pay-to-watch-free-tv-at-home

2 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 05, 2014
pay to sponsor Nta? God forbid. All this government knows how to do is make people pay more for nothing. Phcn, fuel, Npa, Custom duty, Faan and many more.

166 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by sholikay(m): 6:17pm On Jul 05, 2014
Anoda means of taking frm people..

9 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Dubby6(m): 6:23pm On Jul 05, 2014
Naija sabi copy rubbish sha...i go c how dem go come my room collect money for watching dat yeye Nta nd Ait....Rubbish...very soon we'll start paying wife/girlfriend nyashing dues

Op u stingy oo..na u be d op still be ftc na wa oo

58 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by bodejohn(m): 6:35pm On Jul 05, 2014
Making laws is just a little part of the work, waiting to see how this will be implemented.

1 Like

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by delishpot: 6:42pm On Jul 05, 2014
I hope dem go copy british educational system and healthcare system next. I also hope dem go coppy british social infrastructural policy next too. The only time our leaders dey copy foriegn style na only if e go bring money into their pockets. Any foreign style of government wey go make our leaders no see plenty to loot no dey welcome by them.
Just dey look o, if dem hear say western country president add to him allawee, dem sef go pass am for senate say look America, look Britain all their leaders don add ontop allawee and we sef need to add ontop our own too. but if Obama give away him salary to orphanage our leaders go do ears as if dem no hear and do eyes as if dem no read am for news.
Shior, make dem do. Dem go don calculate their interest for this new law tey tey.

195 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Mynd44: 6:47pm On Jul 05, 2014
Wait we have to pay to watch NTA? Lai lai.

16 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by ichommy(m): 6:48pm On Jul 05, 2014
FGWeed, they don smoke shashi.

2 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Rexphobia(m): 6:49pm On Jul 05, 2014
Hian
Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Innodon(m): 6:49pm On Jul 05, 2014
soon we will pay to bleep our wives. ...Smh....what a con3.

2 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 05, 2014
Really? Which stations are we going to enjoy free?
Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Pavore9: 6:50pm On Jul 05, 2014
hmm..l pity those who will be sent to enforce it. Chemist go sell.

43 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Tval(m): 6:51pm On Jul 05, 2014
Pay to watch What? To hell with them nd dere stations. Gotv nd dstv go com sell wella.

9 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by ichommy(m): 6:51pm On Jul 05, 2014
sunnyshayne: Really? Which stations are we going to enjoy free?

None

2 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by wendycindy(f): 6:51pm On Jul 05, 2014
Story, story... If I hear

1 Like

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by freshness2020: 6:51pm On Jul 05, 2014
Lol
Hahahahahahahah
Anoda Naija joke!
Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Trendy247: 6:51pm On Jul 05, 2014
Abeg mek i carry my black and white television go hide o

4 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Vstuffs(m): 6:52pm On Jul 05, 2014
No stable electricity,job,no good education nothing.

Na only to dey collect FG sabi,they no sabi give out

See as all them belle big(after they have chop all our money finished,they are still asking for more thief,ole)

14 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by chimajii: 6:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
nnnn
Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by tradeplusib: 6:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
Na wa for this Government o! Pay to watch NTA!? lipsrsealed
Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Mubby4luv(m): 6:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
Hmmm like we get to watch the good stuffs free!
Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by 9jahubcom(m): 6:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
Am on my way out.. When i come i will ask GEJ if he agress with the new strategy.....will get back to you people
Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Dankarara(m): 6:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
Nigeria! A country where notin is free
Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by 9jahubcom(m): 6:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
am coming, let me charge my phone
Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
How about emulating china; imposing a death sentence on recidivists and corrupt public officers since we have a knack for emulation?

69 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
This is super story! grin

3 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by justi4jesu(f): 6:54pm On Jul 05, 2014
Na wa......

Lobatan for NTA and AIT dedicated watchers grin grin

This one na News in Brief !!! lol

2 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by ichommy(m): 6:56pm On Jul 05, 2014
Epaul: How about emulating china; imposing a death sentence for recidivists and corrupt public officers?

huh
Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Oseniade(m): 6:56pm On Jul 05, 2014
Wonder shall never end. All na how to task the people.
Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by Mexyz(m): 6:57pm On Jul 05, 2014
Its evident that most replies above don't even know what the news is all about. I don't know the benefits either, somebody with broader knowledge should pls help out.
Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by grandstar(m): 6:57pm On Jul 05, 2014
Utter nonsense! In U.K, the law is hated. TV must be paid from adverts. If they cant survive on advertising, let them shut down. If they are government owned they should be subsidised or closed down. Those are the best practices worldwide. nonsense!

7 Likes

Re: You’ll Soon Have To Pay To Watch ‘free’ TV At Home- FG by manosteel(m): 6:57pm On Jul 05, 2014
Wow, this is a welcome development after all I have been paying my NEPA Bills without power, so NTA bill na small.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

BBNaija: "If I Reason Your Matter, Khafi Na Small Girl"—Venita To Gedoni / Korean Season Film Gist / Tboss Kisses Jon Ogah, 'Fake' Big Brother Naija Housemate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.