Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

Schengen Visa Not Used - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Schengen Visa Not Used (10839 Views)

Schengen Visa Delay At Belgium Embassy / Can I Fly To Any Schengen Country Without Stopping At The Country Of Issuance? / Can The Holder Of Uk Visa Travel To Other Eu Countries? Like Schengen? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Schengen Visa Not Used by kkokoma: 10:36am On Jul 06, 2014
Hi everyone

I was supposed to travel to Europe for a program at my former school, but I only recieved the visa on the day the 3 day program was supposed to start so I decided not to travel.

Is the any implication for not using the visa? and is there any need for my to inform the embassy that I did not travel on the visa?
Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Lexusgs430: 12:54pm On Jul 06, 2014
Would the program be re-run in the future? If yes,
Would you be interested in attending again? If yes,
Would you have any reason to apply for another schengen in the future? if yes.
Best to inform the issuing authority, so it's noted on file. Failure to do this (might) affect future applications.
Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by kkokoma: 6:09pm On Jul 06, 2014
I definitely would want to travel to the schengen area again, I probably will write to inform them that I did not go
Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Vicjustice: 11:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
kkokoma: Hi everyone
I was supposed to travel to Europe for a program at my former school, but I only recieved the visa on the day the 3 day program was supposed to start so I decided not to travel.
Is the any implication for not using the visa? and is there any need for my to inform the embassy that I did not travel on the visa?
kkokoma: I definitely would want to travel to the schengen area again, I probably will write to inform them that I did not go
There is absolutely no reason to inform the embassy, and there is no negative implication for not using a visa, in fact, it will (most likely) work to your advantage the next time that you make a visa application

2 Likes

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by 3sha4lyf: 5:43am On Jul 07, 2014
Vicjustice:
There is absolutely no reason to inform the embassy, and there is no negative implication for not using a visa, in fact, it will (most likely) work to your advantage the next time that you make a visa application

Chai! VicJ, na you write this or ur account was hacked?
Are you serious about the bolded
Tell u what yeah, you are wrong. Why do I say so?

2009, I got a Schengen multiple visa (6 months) to attend a conference in Finland, and visit two other states (as I put in my application). Now, when I applied for it, the attendant told me it'll take 15 days, I pleaded with her that the conference date was near, she assured me that the best she could do was that I'll be ready for collection on my proposed travel date, I should ring them by 12 on that day.
I remember putting up at some hotel in Knightsbridge on the dday so I could zap to sloane square, pick it up n head for Gatwick. Rang'em for 12, dey said it wasn't ready, reminding me that they are waiting for response from the other states (which I wanted to visit) and dat I should call back by 3 pm. I did n it was ready, so I rushed, picked it up, (silly me) was dashing back to pick up me stuffs from hotel n head for Gatwick but when I checked time, there was no way I'll meet the 4:30pm flight I booked with my colleagues. Immediately, I went online on me phone and without thinking, I purchased a "use-now-or-never" ticket on SAS for 6:45 @ heathrow so I would still meet them up. But trust London traffic, 'twas crazy even to get to the underground.
Needless to say, I missed the flight as well. I sobbed cos of the money paid. Still bent on attending the conference, I bought another Easyjet ticket for the next day (they were the cheapest for nxt day).

Left the hotel n arrived Gatwick WELL IN TIME, even had time to move up n down searching for Easyjet to Finland. Was den told it was in the south wing n I was in the north wing.
Flight was in the next 30 mins, shuttle bus (or train can't remember...) comes every 3 mins, takes 5 mins to get there, I think. That's about 12-15 mins connection time gone. And then, the Almighty security point. I even jumped the queue, agreed for them to toss in the bin anything I shouldn't carry and that would delay me from gettin on that flyt. By the time I reached my boarding gate, I saw my plane pull out from the hangar. I just sat down on the floor, rang me sister and cried my pain out to her on phone cos that was over £350 spent for a conference I didn't even spend up to that amount for.
Probably I wasn't meant to get on that conference- it's some "gender/freedom to date any sex" discourse. I was done trying to force myself to get there. No more spending!!! My big sister consoled me, promising me a trip to France on her head (she felt my pain).

I wrote the visa officer Mxxxa Axx, explaining my predicament and that Ive given up on going for the conference cos of the expenses, would wanna cancel the visa cos I don't want problem if I use the visa to travel to the other states I wanted to, and to France soon. I wouldn't mind reapplying at the other embassy (I sounded pathetic. Pay another £50 for the same type of visa I sure wasn't thinking then. Lol)

she wrote me back saying it was ok after all, I applied for multiple visa, bla bla, n Finland is a lovly place so I should try visiting someday, bla bla.

2 years later, I had a family trip to Spain for 6 days. All siblings and parents had their visa. I had a long Schengen multiple that was to expire two days after our travel date. Was quite confused bout the overstaying thing n didn't wanna take chances so I opted to apply for a bumper Schengen to cover the remaining days i'll be in Spain. Travel date was in two weeks, Spanish embassy needed 15 days (non negotiable, thanks to vfs) only option was to go thru another country. Tried Malta, u need appointment, tried Greece, Czech Rep. OYO, Germany, Belgium, France, Denmark, Amsterdam, Sweden, call dem all, they were vfs candidates so no need. My last option was Finland cos I know their visa na sharp sharp if u let them know how urgent it is (it's the embassy gongon, no agent like vfs).

Boom!, I went there and the attendant took my docs, opened my passport, saw Finnish visa but no Finnish entry stamp and she just packed my docs n was pushing them to me saying "we gave you a visa before but I can't see any Entry into Finland on ur passport" (of course she wasn't blind to see that there were other states' stamps to show it was used)

I told her I had informed the embassy about my inability to make the trip (she was forming "I'm through with you"wink and she reluctantly asked for the evidence. Thank God for iPhone, I quickly searched for mails since 3yrs ago, found the correspondence with Mxxxa Axx, and when she read thru it (it was a funny conversation, I must confess), only her smile with herself, draw the documents back thru the space and asked how I'll be paying: cash or card . I was relieved; even when she said it's only single entry she'll gimme, I was like no probs.

Cut long story short, I had to go to the Finland oh after Spain trip make wahala no burst. Bought a ticket on Air Baltic for my kid sister to accompany me, spent 3 days der n was back to UK. It was unplanned and inconveniencing but even after a sad robbery ordeal in Spain(that's another story for another day) We still traveld to Finland. I Can't shout.

So, if I didn't get back to the issuing state consulate that this was my plight, I no for even get another quick visa from them when I went there again. It means I could only enter Finland thru another state. It's ok to ask "wetin dey Finland sef". But imagine if it was Germany, France, Italy, etc that this thing happend, it will be annoying to go thru France or Belgium to Germany or vice versa, plus, I gotta spend more days in the issuing country's state before I go to the main state I really wanna go. Nah!!!

My suggestion for OP is do them a short mail telling them you can't make the trip anymore cos of xyz reason. Unfortunately, Naija is not a place where u can come one in one with the visa officers. You go thru agents (vfs) who may discourage u from attaching that letter wit your next application but insist on it ok.

-*** sorry for the long story. Sometimes it helps.

5 Likes

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Vicjustice: 1:01pm On Jul 07, 2014
3sha4lyf:
Chai! VicJ, na you write this or ur account was hacked?
Are you serious about the bolded
Tell u what yeah, you are wrong. Why do I say so?
2009, I got a Schengen multiple visa (6 months) to attend a conference in Finland, and visit two other states (as I put in my application). Now, when I applied for it, the attendant told me it'll take 15 days, I pleaded with her that the conference date was near, she assured me that the best she could do was that I'll be ready for collection on my proposed travel date, I should ring them by 12 on that day.
I remember putting up at some hotel in Knightsbridge on the dday so I could zap to sloane square, pick it up n head for Gatwick. Rang'em for 12, dey said it wasn't ready, reminding me that they are waiting for response from the other states (which I wanted to visit) and dat I should call back by 3 pm. I did n it was ready, so I rushed, picked it up, (silly me) was dashing back to pick up me stuffs from hotel n head for Gatwick but when I checked time, there was no way I'll meet the 4:30pm flight I booked with my colleagues. Immediately, I went online on me phone and without thinking, I purchased a "use-now-or-never" ticket on SAS for 6:45 @ heathrow so I would still meet them up. But trust London traffic, 'twas crazy even to get to the underground.
Needless to say, I missed the flight as well. I sobbed cos of the money paid. Still bent on attending the conference, I bought another Easyjet ticket for the next day (they were the cheapest for nxt day).
Left the hotel n arrived Gatwick WELL IN TIME, even had time to move up n down searching for Easyjet to Finland. Was den told it was in the south wing n I was in the north wing.
Flight was in the next 30 mins, shuttle bus (or train can't remember...) comes every 3 mins, takes 5 mins to get there, I think. That's about 12-15 mins connection time gone. And then, the Almighty security point. I even jumped the queue, agreed for them to toss in the bin anything I shouldn't carry and that would delay me from gettin on that flyt. By the time I reached my boarding gate, I saw my plane pull out from the hangar. I just sat down on the floor, rang me sister and cried my pain out to her on phone cos that was over £350 spent for a conference I didn't even spend up to that amount for.
Probably I wasn't meant to get on that conference- it's some "gender/freedom to date any sex" discourse. I was done trying to force myself to get there. No more spending!!! My big sister consoled me, promising me a trip to France on her head (she felt my pain).
I wrote the visa officer Mxxxa Axx, explaining my predicament and that Ive given up on going for the conference cos of the expenses, would wanna cancel the visa cos I don't want problem if I use the visa to travel to the other states I wanted to, and to France soon. I wouldn't mind reapplying at the other embassy (I sounded pathetic. Pay another £50 for the same type of visa I sure wasn't thinking then. Lol)
she wrote me back saying it was ok after all, I applied for multiple visa, bla bla, n Finland is a lovly place so I should try visiting someday, bla bla.
2 years later, I had a family trip to Spain for 6 days. All siblings and parents had their visa. I had a long Schengen multiple that was to expire two days after our travel date. Was quite confused bout the overstaying thing n didn't wanna take chances so I opted to apply for a bumper Schengen to cover the remaining days i'll be in Spain. Travel date was in two weeks, Spanish embassy needed 15 days (non negotiable, thanks to vfs) only option was to go thru another country. Tried Malta, u need appointment, tried Greece, Czech Rep. OYO, Germany, Belgium, France, Denmark, Amsterdam, Sweden, call dem all, they were vfs candidates so no need. My last option was Finland cos I know their visa na sharp sharp if u let them know how urgent it is (it's the embassy gongon, no agent like vfs).
Boom!, I went there and the attendant took my docs, opened my passport, saw Finnish visa but no Finnish entry stamp and she just packed my docs n was pushing them to me saying "we gave you a visa before but I can't see any Entry into Finland on ur passport" (of course she wasn't blind to see that there were other states' stamps to show it was used)
I told her I had informed the embassy about my inability to make the trip (she was forming "I'm through with you"wink and she reluctantly asked for the evidence. Thank God for iPhone, I quickly searched for mails since 3yrs ago, found the correspondence with Mxxxa Axx, and when she read thru it (it was a funny conversation, I must confess), only her smile with herself, draw the documents back thru the space and asked how I'll be paying: cash or card . I was relieved; even when she said it's only single entry she'll gimme, I was like no probs.
Cut long story short, I had to go to the Finland oh after Spain trip make wahala no burst. Bought a ticket on Air Baltic for my kid sister to accompany me, spent 3 days der n was back to UK. It was unplanned and inconveniencing but even after a sad robbery ordeal in Spain(that's another story for another day) We still traveld to Finland. I Can't shout.
So, if I didn't get back to the issuing state consulate that this was my plight, I no for even get another quick visa from them when I went there again. It means I could only enter Finland thru another state. It's ok to ask "wetin dey Finland sef". But imagine if it was Germany, France, Italy, etc that this thing happend, it will be annoying to go thru France or Belgium to Germany or vice versa, plus, I gotta spend more days in the issuing country's state before I go to the main state I really wanna go. Nah!!!
My suggestion for OP is do them a short mail telling them you can't make the trip anymore cos of xyz reason. Unfortunately, Naija is not a place where u can come one in one with the visa officers. You go thru agents (vfs) who may discourage u from attaching that letter wit your next application but insist on it ok.
-*** sorry for the long story. Sometimes it helps.
I can only wonder how you managed to have the energy to write such long analysis howbeit with such incomprehensible manners of writing: I'm sorry, I can't go through such long narration that is not reader friendly.
You seem to be talking about your personal occasion, but I don't see how such represents the official regulation, I will therefore appreciate if you can point out the context where it is stated that a visa holder MUST TRAVEL with it or that s/he must inform the embassy in the event that s/he is not travelling...
It is not enough to give your personal tale which probably lacks crcredibility: i would rather see where it is declared that it is a violation to NOT use a visa.

2 Likes

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by 3sha4lyf: 9:17pm On Jul 07, 2014
Vicjustice:
I can only wonder how you manage to have the energy to write such long analysis howbeit with such incomprehensible manners of writings : I'm sorry, I can't go through such long narration that is not reader friendly.
You seem to be talking about your personal occasion, but I don't see how such represents the official regulation, I will therefore appreciate if you can point out the context where it is stated that a visa holder MUST TRAVEL with it or that s/he must inform the embassy in the event that s/he is not travelling...
It is not enough to give your personal tale which probably lacks crcredibility: i would rather see where it is declared that it is a violation to NOT use a visa.

That's rather rude, Vicjustice. Even a 6th-grader will read and understand what I've written so if it's incomprehensible to you, seek further assistance. If you've written a thesis, blogs, newsletters or the likes, grasping some energy to write "long analysis" would be a work-over. But all the same, I smile at ur comment and I'm not offended.

Very many people know that we learn from experiences, either ours, or others we come in contact with. If my personal experience is similar to the poster's, of course I will share it. I was only shocked you could suggest that there was "ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO INFORM THE [ISSUING] embassy" (such a powerful sentence to make, like that's coming from the Visa Officer). Its still incredible to believe you wrote "...in fact, it will (most likely) work to your advantage the next time that you make a visa" and I'm curious to know how; pls educate my limited mind.

However, it's your prerogative to hold on to what you know, and refute other information. That's absolutely fine by me. Last last, the onus lies with the poster to rethink his/her next action(s) after reading various responses, not only on nairaland, but other related forums.

@
kkokoma:
...so I decided not to travel.

Please I will attach images of the same mails I talked about previously. I hope they arelegible enough. They are true copies but for personal bios that have been hidden. You can decide for yourself. Perhaps all embassies are different, perhaps I'm different from you. Lol.

All the same, it's your calling. cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Vicjustice: 9:55pm On Jul 07, 2014
3sha4lyf:
That's rather rude, Vicjustice. Even a 6th-grader will read and understand what I've written so if it's incomprehensible to you, seek further assistance. If you've written a thesis, blogs, newsletters or the likes, grasping some energy to write "long analysis" would be a work-over. But all the same, I smile at ur comment and I'm not offended.
Very many people know that we learn from experiences, either ours, or others we come in contact with. If my personal experience is similar to the poster's, of course I will share it. I was only shocked you could suggest that there was "ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO INFORM THE [ISSUING] embassy" (such a powerful sentence to make, like that's coming from the Visa Officer). Its still incredible to believe you wrote "...in fact, it will (most likely) work to your advantage the next time that you make a visa" and I'm curious to know how; pls educate my limited mind.
However, it's your prerogative to hold on to what you know, and refute other information. That's absolutely fine by me. Last last, the onus lies with the poster to rethink his/her next action(s) after reading various responses, not only on nairaland, but other related forums.
@
Please I will attach images of the same mails I talked about previously. I hope they arelegible enough. They are true copies but for personal bios that have been hidden. You can decide for yourself. Perhaps all embassies are different, perhaps I'm different from you. Lol.
All the same, it's your calling. cheesy
Well, perhaps you're right when you said a 6 grader can understand your writing manners, but I'm not a 6 grader.
As for your argument, if you do not understand that the chief concern of a visa officer is the potentiality of an applicant to breach the conditions of a visa (whilst in their country) therefore, a person who had been issued a visa and did not use it stands a reasonably better chance in subsequent visa application, having won the trust of the visa officer that s/he is not desperately seeking a means to travel out...
Despite all your long epistles, you still haven't provided a link or any evidence to back up your bogus claim that it is a CRIME if someone changes his mind from travelling abroad

1 Like

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by 3sha4lyf: 1:40am On Jul 08, 2014

I've attached screenshots of the mails I exchanged with the visa officer. I apologise once again if it's a bit illegible. You can zoom in on them.
I labelled them A to O. Read N carefully and see the likeliness of any issues. Then decide for yourself whether or not to make any move.

T'kare.

1 Like

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by 3sha4lyf: 1:47am On Jul 08, 2014

See also O. smiley.

T'kare

4 Likes

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by 3sha4lyf: 1:53am On Jul 08, 2014
Vicjustice:
Well, perhaps you're right when you said a 6 grader can understand your writing manners, but I'm not a 6 grader.
As for your argument, if you do not understand that the chief concern of a visa officer is the potentiality of an applicant to breach the conditions of a visa (whilst in their country) therefore, a person who had been issued a visa and did not use it stands a reasonably better chance in subsequent visa application, having won the trust of the visa officer that s/he is not desperately seeking a means to travel out...
Despite all your long epistles, you still haven't provided a link or any evidence to back up your bogus claim that it is a CRIME if someone changes his mind from travelling abroad

Didn't insinuate that it was a CRIME; didn't just agree that there's, in your own words, "ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO INFORM THE [ISSUING] EMBASSY".
But you know what, no need going round this. I'm done. Stick to what you know. It's all good. smiley (y)

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by justwise(m): 6:33am On Jul 08, 2014

No, you got nothing to worry about.

1 Like

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Ik09: 7:02am On Jul 08, 2014
Vicjustice:

Wrong.

I have to agree with 3sha4lyf here: unused visas are not looked upon kindly the next time you apply for a schegen visa (or any other type of visa for that matter).

A quick google search will show you instances of people having problems getting a new visa because of an unused one that expired.

Please refrain from giving advice if you don't know what you're saying.

OP, you don't HAVE to inform the embassy. However, it'll most likely hurt your chances next time -especially if you can't explain to the person processing your application.

5 Likes

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by justwise(m): 7:17am On Jul 08, 2014
Ik09:

Wrong.

I have to agree with 3sha4lyf here: unused visas are not looked upon kindly the next time you apply for a schegen visa (or any other type of visa for that matter).

A quick google search will show you instances of people having problems getting a new visa because of an unused one that expired.

OP, you don't HAVE to inform the embassy. However, it'll most likely hurt your chances next time -especially if you can't explain to the person processing your application.
Under which immigration law did that fall into? Which immigration law has that person broken for not using that visa?

1 Like

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Ik09: 7:52am On Jul 08, 2014
justwise: [/b] Under which immigration law did that fall into? Which immigration law has that person broken for not using that visa?

No one is saying it's a crime. You're not breaking any laws if you don't use the visa.

However, you're advised to inform the embassy. That's the main issue here.

5 Likes

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by justwise(m): 7:57am On Jul 08, 2014
Ik09:

No one is saying it's a crime. You're not breaking any laws if you don't use the visa.

That is unnecessary, there is no point whatsoever to inform the embassy. They don't need to know whether you have decided to cancel your trip or not.

2 Likes

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Vicjustice: 12:01pm On Jul 08, 2014
Ik09:
Wrong.
Ik09:
Where did you come out from?
Look at the highlighted lines, can you see how you conflict your own self?
Confused people like you cause confusion to others who seek genuine information, you should realise the need to sit down and learn from knowledgeable ones so you may acquire knowledge youself for your own benefit before helping others. Got it?

1 Like

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Vicjustice: 12:22pm On Jul 08, 2014
3sha4lyf:
I've attached screenshots of the mails I exchanged with the visa officer. I apologise once again if it's a bit illegible. You can zoom in on them.
I labelled them A to O. Read N carefully and see the likeliness of any issues. Then decide for yourself whether or not to make any move.
T'kare.
What is the difference between your various long epistles and the claimed e-mail attachments?
How does your decision to send the emails represent the official regulation of the embassy?
You still didn't provide an official stance to your claim.
Please, stop misinforming people.

1 Like

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Vicjustice: 12:26pm On Jul 08, 2014
justwise: [/b]
justwise: [/b] Under which immigration law did that fall into? Which immigration law has that person broken for not using that visa?
That is unnecessary, there is no point whatsoever to inform the embassy. They don't need to know whether you have decided to cancel your trip or not.
Simple comments that mean a lot. Well done

1 Like

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by 3sha4lyf: 3:09pm On Jul 08, 2014
Vicjustice:
What is the difference between your various long epistles and the claimed e-mail attachments?
How does your decision to send the emails represent the official regulation of the embassy?
You still didn't provide an official stance to your claim.
Please, stop misinforming people.

Like I said, I'm done arguing with you.
First of all, you call it my "personal tale that probably lacks credibility". I bring out attachments of a mail to show correspondence WITH a Visa Officer at Finnish Embassy, London. It's clearly written out there, and I made that in brackets, where she wrote that she'll put down some notes on my details and if applying to the Finnish Embassy, I explain myself so it won't affect my chances of future visas from them.
You say I'm giving people misinformation.

I didn't write that mail captioned "N". She did! When people are unclear about a process, who do they ask for further info, especially if it's not in the FAQs? The authorities, right? So if the same Finnish visa authorities mailed me back of a potential problem that may arise in the future, WHICH ACTUALLY DID PLAY ITSELF WHEN I WENT BACK TO THE SAME EMBASSY TWO YEARS LATER, then why trying to diss me like I'm here to push people into a pit?

Sometimes, you need to be careful the way you antagonise people, certainly cos you have one level of power above them. People may or may not disagree with you on NL, but doesn't make them any less than u r.

What's that?!
Poster asked, should I inform the authorities of my change of plans etc?
You said "ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO..."
And I give an instance why it may be necessary to inform them, hence a "REASON TO...",
And you debunk it asking for a section of immigration laws that calls it a crime.
I never said it was a crime, I just showed that saying "ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO INFORM THE ISSUING EMBASSY" Is inappropriate here cos of course, there are reasons to inform them.

In some other online forum, this type of question was asked and a forum member suggested the poster informs the issuing embassy. He highlighted that unused visas are not taken kindly on next applications from the Schengen embassy. Nobody threw tantrums there.

If you still believe that "THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO INFORM THE EMBASSY" if you change your plans and decide not to use the visa anymore, that's you thoughts. I've had an experience that has thought me to do so, when and if I do change my mind.

@ kkokoma, I'm sure you know what to do. It's your call and you dint have to agree with me. Other silent readers on NL will just shake their heads and move on cos this is sooo funny.

No need to reign insults or offensive words to drive a point.

Tx

7 Likes

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Ik09: 3:38pm On Jul 08, 2014
Vicjustice:

Where did you come out from?
Look at the highlighted lines, can you see how you conflict your own self?
Confused people like you cause confusion to others who seek genuine information, you should realise the need to sit down and learn from knowledgeable ones so you may acquire knowledge youself for your own benefit before helping others. Got it?

Time for an English lesson.

If you don't have to do something, it's not compulsory.
However if you're advised to do it, that's the recommended course of action. Both are not mutually exclusive.

That said, there's no point arguing back and forth. The correct information has been provided. It's up to the OP to decide if they want to inform the embassy or not.

Btw calling yourself 'knowledgeable' doesn't make it true. Most of the time, it implies just the opposite...

10 Likes

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Vicjustice: 5:32pm On Jul 08, 2014
Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by kkokoma: 5:36pm On Jul 08, 2014
Thanks for all your contributions, I am going to err on the side of caution and write the embassy that I could not travel with the visa. They actually called me when the visa was ready that the saw that I was supposed to travel the day before, and if they should hold it for me to come pick up at the embassy, or they should courier it to me with the DHL envelope provided. I opted for it to be couried to me. So I guess they would understand if I tell them I could not make the trip.

Its the Norwegian Embassy and I have travelled there several times when I schooled there on a Norwegian government scholarship, so I they have a record of my trips.

5 Likes

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Vicjustice: 6:03pm On Jul 08, 2014
Ik09:
Time for an English lesson.
If you don't have to do something, it's not compulsory.
However if you're advised to do it, that's the recommended course of action. Both are not mutually exclusive.
That said, there's no point arguing back and forth. The correct information has been provided. It's up to the OP to decide if they want to inform the embassy or not.
Btw calling yourself 'knowledgeable' doesn't make it true. Most of the time, it implies just the opposite...
Are you giving me "English lesson"?
Then, you should be able to make distinction between singular and plural as well as identify what is not a definite article.
Well, the phrase is "Knowledgeable ones", does that (plurality) refer to me? Or did it say knowledgeable ME?
Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Lucasbalo(m): 12:22am On Aug 18, 2014

Don't know about British or Schengen visa, but if you are issued an American visa and you did not use it, it's a big minus next time you apply for one. It has happened to three of my cousins.

6 Likes

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by justwise(m): 12:23am On Aug 18, 2014
Lucasbalo: Don't know about British or Schengen visa, but if you are issued an American visa and you did not use it, it's a big minus next time you apply for one. It has happened to three of my cousins.

What happened to them?
Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Lucasbalo(m): 2:22am On Aug 18, 2014
justwise:

What happened to them?
Two were given and the third one was refused. The two given told me that they were told to use the visa even if it is once.
Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by justwise(m): 9:01am On Aug 18, 2014
Lucasbalo: Two were given and the third one was refused. The two given told me that they were told to use the visa even if it is once.
So because of that you concluded that it's against the law for not using it?
Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by Lucasbalo(m): 2:35pm On Aug 18, 2014
justwise:
So because of that you concluded that it's against the law for not using it?
I never said it's against the law not to use it, it's just something that the consular officers frown about.

8 Likes

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by chuksbogus: 6:01am On Aug 19, 2014
JUSTWISE
i expect you to be wise but reading through your argument here am some how disappointed .its a very big problem WHEN U DONT KNOW AND DONT KNOW THAT YOU DONT KNOW.can't u get what this guys are saying ? you rather want to prove noting. they have given instances and u have not even shown us one.It might not be a crime but they all said The Officers FROWN AT IT simple pls always be ready yo learn u don't know every thing.am expecting your insult!!

12 Likes

Re: Schengen Visa Not Used by elonilintl: 6:32am On Aug 19, 2014
3sha4lyf:

Like I said, I'm done arguing with you.
First of all, you call it my "personal tale that probably lacks credibility". I bring out attachments of a mail to show correspondence WITH a Visa Officer at Finnish Embassy, London. It's clearly written out there, and I made that in brackets, where she wrote that she'll put down some notes on my details and if applying to the Finnish Embassy, I explain myself so it won't affect my chances of future visas from them.
You say I'm giving people misinformation.

I didn't write that mail captioned "N". She did! When people are unclear about a process, who do they ask for further info, especially if it's not in the FAQs? The authorities, right? So if the same Finnish visa authorities mailed me back of a potential problem that may arise in the future, WHICH ACTUALLY DID PLAY ITSELF WHEN I WENT BACK TO THE SAME EMBASSY TWO YEARS LATER, then why trying to diss me like I'm here to push people into a pit?

Sometimes, you need to be careful the way you antagonise people, certainly cos you have one level of power above them. People may or may not disagree with you on NL, but doesn't make them any less than u r.

What's that?!
Poster asked, should I inform the authorities of my change of plans etc?
You said "ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO..."
And I give an instance why it may be necessary to inform them, hence a "REASON TO...",
And you debunk it asking for a section of immigration laws that calls it a crime.
I never said it was a crime, I just showed that saying "ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO INFORM THE ISSUING EMBASSY" Is inappropriate here cos of course, there are reasons to inform them.

In some other online forum, this type of question was asked and a forum member suggested the poster informs the issuing embassy. He highlighted that unused visas are not taken kindly on next applications from the Schengen embassy. Nobody threw tantrums there.

If you still believe that "THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO INFORM THE EMBASSY" if you change your plans and decide not to use the visa anymore, that's you thoughts. I've had an experience that has thought me to do so, when and if I do change my mind.

@ kkokoma, I'm sure you know what to do. It's your call and you dint have to agree with me. Other silent readers on NL will just shake their heads and move on cos this is sooo funny.

No need to reign insults or offensive words to drive a point.

Tx
@ 3sha4lyf
Firstly, i have to thank you for your comportment and your choice of words. Indeed, you have made my day.
I have been following this thread carefully and I have only observed one thing; some people always want to be heard and their suggestions taken and when they are not they will start fighting instead of admitting because no one knows it all except God.
Currently, I had similar case like yours;
I was issued a Student residence Permit for my M.Sc program in Sweden by the Swedish Migration Board through their Embassy in Pretoria and something happened that made me to change my mind to defering my admission for the next year Autumn Semester. So i put a call through to the Visa officer at the Embassy of Sweden in Pretoria and made my intentions known to her that i would want to place a hold on my permit or as well as re-apply next year and she replied saying:
'' Just notify me when you had reached a decision whether you would be traveling to Sweden for your programme this year or not, through a letter stating your reasons as you had explained to me, so that I would inform the Migration Board on your behalf. So that it will be understood when you apply for the Residence Permit next year''
And I asked her: Is there any possibility that it may not be given to me next year when I apply?
Visa Officer replied: Yes, that is why i must inform them when you notify me because Student Residence Permit decisions are made by the Migration Board in Sweden only and RP cards sent to us for collection.

Cutting the long story short, please 'POSTER' try and inform the embassy that issued the visa to you because they have the final say on this issue.
As a Nigerian ,don't forget that whatsoever that is worth doing at all is worth doing well!

As for myself, I ended up not defering my admission and neither did i postpone my study trip to Sverige (Sweden) as was planned.

Good luck!
May God bless Nigeria and no other place!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Airlines Lose Lucrative West Coast Routes / COVID-19: FG Approves N10 Billion Survival Fund For Transport Sector / Core Function Of Lastma On Our Roads.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.