Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:14 AM

Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) (36129 Views)

About To Fly To North Cyprus / North Cyprus / The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Yungmilio2(m): 10:53am On Jul 25, 2014
WhyNa:

Please type one of your facebook posts on google lets see what happens.
the other OP is right
Google can only get you less than 30% of what's on the internet
remember.. Google is just a search engine.. you are talking bout Facebook . open social media
when you use meta search and invisible web
you will understand better
Google is still a learner
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by WhyNa: 11:01am On Jul 25, 2014
Yungmilio2:
the other OP is right
remember.. Google is just a search engine.. you are talking bout Facebook . open social media

Aii then. I take that part back n tnx for correcting. I still do hope I passed the info I was tryn to pass
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Yungmilio2(m): 11:02am On Jul 25, 2014
WhyNa:

Aii then. I take that part back n tnx for correcting. I still do hope I passed the info I was tryn to pass
no p .sir
yes you did

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jul 25, 2014
Thanks for the contribution, the comment's and all .. To modewap, As much as I appreciate your audience as well as zeal to post this journal, I think you shouldn't post them on your Page yet...Here are my reasons
I get uncomfortable with being popular, I'm weary of criticisms (especially negatives), my aim is to help people on this forum, I don't want to be a subject of discussion on internet whatsoever, you know how things can go viral? It will distract me, and that is not what I need now, the journal isn't a finished product as there maybe some typos and grammaticals, the people here understands it and take it the way it is .. but once it'ss goes out of here, it becomes uncontrollable... Please I'm begging you, the last thing I want is distraction in my pursuit of life at the moment. And don't post without our consent (it's no longer mine but for every viewer on this thread/travel section/nairaland), as that will be an infringement on our copyright wink. However, I think you can post the link of each post on your page, I think that is fair enough. I will be glad to help you in any way to promote your page, you can PM me and I can think of something for you .. I love brainstorming, it's one of my hobbies.

Sincerely, I'm a little uncomfortable with posting my diary online,I get scared every time I type here as a result of unseen fear, hence the covering of my face in those pictures,I would have preferred, having it opened but y'all know what the internet world is now...Maybe, I'm just being pessimistic and too scared of unseen circumstances. I bet y'all understand what I'm trying to say .... honeyad I'm still yet to read your note except for the notification I saw in my email, nothing else... I sometimes don't know how this nairaland messaging works, good you know me wink Sen neredesin? kibris?
Special thanks to whyna, yungmilio2, ukicom86, everybody here..... and that dude, who is the only one that knows me offline and still following the journal, he gives me external pressure to go update the thread too smiley Barka Eid il Fitr .. Selam!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by honeyad(m): 12:29pm On Jul 25, 2014
Mctolspell.. Your diary is lovely and I beseech you to continue, evet kibris(lefksosia) onceki
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by honeyad(m): 12:30pm On Jul 25, 2014
Mctolspell.. Your diary is lovely and I beseech you to continue, evet kibris(lefksosia) onceki.. Reply the msg on your email..

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 25, 2014
And I stopped backing up my journal in my personal diary, that shii keeps sending me reminder but I just keep typing straight here...I think I need a team of medical practitioners to deliver me from the addiction of Nairaland, though most of the front page stuff this days have been less innovative and more politics.... I love politics but not the do or die nature of the APC and PDP goons over there. Sorry the digression was long wink hehehe
Before I continue on where I stop, I just wish to write some more general information about the Island, lifestyle of students and how things works.. Just to help some prospective as my own account here maybe a little thin and less helpful.
This Island has been captured and governed by over 13 Empires/country, from the Byzanttine, to the Roman, the ottoman, the British and many more, it's a very unique Island, the Mediterranean sea use to be the trading route around Europe, the Hills, the beautiful nature and lot's of natural resources, hence the often capture. When the Ottoman empire was a mini world power before the first world war, the captured the Island and were ruling from the Constantinople(Today's Istanbul), that is why you have the Turkish decent as part of the owner of the Island, they share it with the Greek who are the original occupant of the land.
The Sultans (Ottoman empire) lost the world war 1, they sold the Island to the British. They colonized the Island for sometime and gave them independent, 1960 or so .. Now as a Republic of Cyprus. The Greek and the Turkish started having minority and majority problem, they started killing themselves.. Almighty, Turkey came in to rescue the Turkish descendant, the Island got divided, in the 70's. The Turks have the Northern part, The Greeks are still bitter about it today. There are numerous work going underground for the two Island to merge, who knows if that will happen, I don't pray it does till I'm done here though, Nobody want's to start suffering like the international student does over there, strict rules, no money, expensive school fees, just the EU membership to boast of. Not that the South side is not good, they just seems to be having there own share of the economic woes at the moment.
The Turkish government being a very smart and responsible government, made this region a new state attached to Turkey, they build schools and developed tourism which in turn creates huge revenue. Yes, agriculture as well, this small Island exports Orange as well as Potatoes, it's sounds ordinary right? but that is what mechanized agriculture as well as a responsible government can do for you. This is a fact! I'm not sure the biggest farm in Nigeria (Obasanjo's farm and co.. have the kind of technology this people use in their farming, from the livestock, to the ordinary Orange), there banks are happy to give loans to anybody interested in agriculture, not to foreigners of course.
How did the school come into play, a typical Turkish person believes so much in Education and that is what makes them one of the best educated countries in Europe, at least they have the most number of professors in Europe, and some of their universities like Middle East are among the 300 best universities in the world today.
The universities here helps generate revenue to the small Island, they concentrated more on bringing in new student which will automatically help the economy as well, you now understand why the awareness to come to the country grows by the day. Africa sure has the population, the Middle East as well as the Eastern Europe was the targeted area. Churches here were already captured, don't forget the Turkey is a predominantly Muslim country but the constitution is secular. The North Cyprus should pay me for this little awareness ... will update my diary, just updating for those that want to know more

6 Likes

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by italent101: 2:00pm On Jul 25, 2014
M bk!! Lovely story. More pix too
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 25, 2014
Still following

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Artorius(m): 5:34pm On Jul 25, 2014
Yungmilio2:
the other OP is right
Thanks for explaining, I been no know where to start from. The guy na learner grin Op carry go. Bring more updates
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by WhyNa: 9:37pm On Jul 25, 2014
Artorius:
Thanks for explaining, I been no know where to start from. The guy na learner grin Op carry go. Bring more updates

Watch it dude
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Pelumiv(m): 12:40am On Jul 26, 2014
This thread is an eye opener. Nothing good comes easy.
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Artorius(m): 2:28am On Jul 26, 2014
WhyNa:

Watch it dude
undecided it's not supposed to be an offensive remark. Sorry if you don't have the same kind of humor that I have
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by monoformdude: 3:59pm On Jul 26, 2014
guys m bk!! my gmail was hacked same day with nairaland crash! d guy changed my password n mail name... thank God for my recovery mail... though d fool deleted all my mails
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Pelumiv(m): 6:03pm On Jul 26, 2014
Sowie abt that Mono. @ Mctolspell, today na weekend oooo, come update abi dem gals hold u ni? @ Soyedele1, I sight u boss.
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by italent101: 10:13pm On Jul 26, 2014
Thanks @pelumiv . Mr mctospell more update or konji tinz
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Pelumiv(m): 12:31am On Jul 27, 2014
italent101: Thanks @pelumiv . Mr mctospell more update or konji tinz
No biggie boss. Our oga @ d top no bonr us.
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 27, 2014
Thank you y'all, welcome back monoformdude, I'm back, I can be lazy sometimes and the rate at which I get discouraged is per second billings; it's part of everyday struggle with life but like a warrior, you don't give in for the those troubling thought, we rise up! and get the best out of life. I was lying down lying down staring at my computer, and brainstorming on the next step of how to take up the world, checked my phone, an email came in; lo and behold, it was from a ready of this thread, it was full of encouragement, I got up immediately without even replying him yet to update this thread. If I can help anybody/international student with this little piece of incoherent information, then I should be proud of myself, thank you all! Thank you to that dude, I will reply your email soonwink Thank you to the followers, Danke Nairaland for the platform; we will get there someday and we will all over throw the world.
Back to the journal, the second summer is here, My friend already has his Ma'am on the way, we picked her at the airport, still in our international standard flat we live in.. Things are always rough for us, it's almost like a trademark for us, lol .. Not that we don't get money but the expenditure is sure greater than the income.. What kind of life will you be living when you have to pay Utility bill of about 25 - 30 USD each, You have to pay rent, Phone bills, your have to replace some of your dead shoes (some of our shoes already know the direction of our destination, that is to show you how long and how massive the usage is ..lol), You have to replace your jeans by force even when you don't .. They will not just fade but get torn. I'm not lamenting but you need to see why we have our location stationed in (Brooklyn).
I know you will be saying in your heart, 'chai! Suffer dey that Cyprus' Oh well! You need to get enough and good finance to study as an international student abroad,if not you shouldn't expect to conclude your studies at the stipulated time, any where in the world, even the almighty Canada/USA. I can tell you here, that most of us will be concluding our studies within the stipulated time, some before, I have friends concluding their studies in 3 years. You will pass through hell, see the devil and shake the devil. Don't forget one thing it's sure worth it. Take that to the bank.
Back to our summer 'escapade' wink, She doesn't like sitting at home, she loves the hot, sunny weather while we are used to sitting at home, hugging our laptop, most times people use the betting house as a resting place, it's well comfy, nice Air conditioning, any type of beverage available, with some boring Europe match highlight. I barely go there cos it's boring and I don't play bet. Not because i'm holy or a saint, but bcause I quickly discovered that I don't have luck with guessing or bets. Look, if you are not here or you don't do it, don't judge people that do it, I know people that survives through it... they tend to make a living through betting, I heard it's trending in Nigeria as well but here it's a different ball game, 60 percent of this country population plays it, old and young, student and workers. yea, people lose their money, some people wins, some wins and spend extravagantly but I know people that have all their survival or part of their survival depending on it. Man gats chop!
We never saw the beauty of living close to a Sea, My house to the Sea is less than 30 Metres, It's a stone throw, that makes us have less impact of the harsh summer, but do we really appreciate that? NO! We barely go to the Sea side, some goes to the sea side to drink every night though. There are special places along the sea shore developed for swimming, and all kind of fun but we rarely go, I was there once during my first summer that lasted three month but still I kept lamenting about the boring summer. I think some of us are so bitter with our problems that we forget that we can have fun with the things in our surrounding.
She loved the nature, the hills surrounding us, the sea in front of us, she saw beauty while most of us saw stupid terrain, and just one salty water. She wants to go out everyday, not to cinemas, not to go shopping, not to parties but to those resorts, she wants to sit in the sun, swim for hours, come back home.. sleep for some minute... Go back to the sea side by the night, look at the stars, the moon, the coolness of the sea, the wonders of nature, have some drinks, and have a lovely night rest. She repeated this for the whole of 5 weeks or more she used, she even came back before the end of that summer.
We were blessed with a Cypriot friend, he is actually a friend to my roomie, he has a car, and he also love that kind of love, Myself and my missus including my roomie got initiated into that and we saw our self inside the Mediterranean every day, I sometimes excuse myself though, those guys can swim for ours without eating, that is there own food.. There was a day my roomie's lady swim so far a way that we were looking for her inside the deep blue sea, We got so scared! she later came back, swimming and laughing.. She enjoyed it while my friend was so furious and happy at the same time. That is how interesting it can be ...As an African, most of us, our parent most have warned us not to get close to water as a result of some spiritual stuffs and fear of getting drown, it's a different thing entirely here. Everybody knows our to swim, plays with the water.
Along the line, our Cypriot friend, asked us to join him in his speed boat to go swimming and go fishing... We never did as a result of fear of unknown, we kept promising him but we kept failing, there was even a day my friend lied to him that his mom, told him not to get close to water as she had a dream that he got drowned, the dude was like wtf? dreams are not real? As much as I was strong confidence in the water, I don't want to try the speed boat thingy, we had lot's of what if's .. I will summon courage to have some boat ride, speed boat cruise and the likes before I leave the beautiful Island.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jul 27, 2014
With the help of my roomie friend, we met an old man as well, he is Turkish but he's been living in Cyprus for years, he suddenly loved us, we never understood why he loves us though.he keeps coming to us, he is a technician, he works on cars, sometimes he comes with his dirty cloths, buy us Kebab, buy us lunch sometimes dinner. How did he meet the man? Where did you see this man? Abi na prayer wey we pray that day? I kept asking my friend this question, my roomie is always moving around, he got good brain to learn languages, his Turkish was going good... he was surviving on the street already, while I was more of the introverts. he comes home in the night and I give him the latest gist, latest discovery, next step to life, those kind of thing, while he goes out in the morning comes back in the night.. eat and survive without a dime in his pocket. He already has lots of friend, he barely takes transportation, they drive him about. He met this man as well.
This man spoiled us, he takes us to wherever we want to go to, he buys us everything, I mean immediate needs, comes to our house every night with shisha (you can look it up), bottles of beer, lots of Adana Kebab, he even takes us out in the night to the cities,different festivals, there are series of festivals during summer and to them it's the most interesting time of the year but to you that finds comfort in the four corners of your room it's the worst time of the year (like me in my first summer). We meet people, sometimes we manage to even get along with this British peeps that come for holiday, but you can't go beyond that when you have your missus around you wink.
shortly after my friend's lady left, things turned around immediately, it was like she came with all of the goodies and left with it.. The nice sweet old man wasn't coming often again, he wasn't calling, kebabs weren't coming in frequently... chai! we don suffer? could it be that the ladies we have around us made this man get close to us that time? Things began to fall apart again and it's not even Mid September yet.....
Attached is a pic of one of those summer pic .. More to come

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jul 27, 2014
1. A trip to one of Festivals .. It's called Portakal(Orange) festival
2. With some peeps in the deep blue sea ..
3. On a road trip with a friend, just before the summer begins ... Road to Kyrenia.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jul 27, 2014
Still that interesting summer ... Pose with a friend

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 27, 2014
Following yu with 'Like button'

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by WhyNa: 8:19pm On Jul 27, 2014
Mctospell, I still dey here o. Even though I dnt comment like before bt I full ground. Ride on bro

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by jaydave: 10:26pm On Jul 27, 2014
Pls Tel Me Exactly How U Continue Afta Dat 1k Usd BTA got exhausted...did ur parent continue 2 send u cash monthly,if yes,how much is it..how much is ur house rent monthly?..is it dat there aint work at all in trnc or there is work n its only meant 4 deir ppl...or d available oner r too hard 4 student.pls kindly ansa al dis cos i wana knw wat am gona face ova ther b4 i cum

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Yungmilio2(m): 12:42am On Jul 28, 2014
nice drop
nice work
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by sod09(m): 7:12am On Jul 28, 2014
nice
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Drea1: 10:41am On Jul 28, 2014
mctolspell: 1. A trip to one of Festivals .. It's called Portakal(Orange) festival
2. With some peeps in the deep blue sea ..
3. On a road trip with a friend, just before the summer begins ... Road to Kyrenia.

Uhmm , I never knew u'r such a good writer bro ...
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Pelumiv(m): 10:49am On Jul 28, 2014
Cool update. #wantingMore
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by ukicom86(m): 9:35pm On Jul 28, 2014
Sorry am late, have been busy...I am here now. Mctolspell I am simply following. Xoxoxxoxxoxoxo
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Yungmilio2(m): 8:38am On Jul 30, 2014
Come update nah
even Cinema self no dey take time for them to release another episode nah
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by ishekinah1(m): 9:09am On Jul 30, 2014
We are waiting!!!!!!!!!!
Bring back our journal

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Pelumiv(m): 9:41am On Jul 31, 2014
Way dis Op laa?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

20 Most Insanely Overloaded Vehicles You Will Ever See On Road / Xmas: Travelers Should Be Wary Of This Danger On Interstate Highways (PHOTOS) / Two Passenger Trains Derail In Eastern India. 280 Dead, 900 Injured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.