Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,321 members, 7,808,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:51 AM

Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) (36133 Views)

About To Fly To North Cyprus / North Cyprus / The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by italent101: 2:17pm On Aug 07, 2014
More
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by zezebabyxoxo: 1:14am On Aug 10, 2014
Ok
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by nxt2y: 4:33am On Aug 12, 2014
Good job bro! smiley
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Xion: 11:26pm On Aug 15, 2014
Boss, what's happening na?
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 2:52am On Aug 19, 2014
I had to give it a little break as it was almost going off the reason why we started this, the main reason is to point and paint the plight of a typical International student in a country like Cyprus, nothing more. Not to glorify or bring my self down and never to make people pity me or something. I felt if I could get an opportunity like this before coming here, I would have come better prepared. All fingers are not equal, some peeps will need this and some will not. Let's still not forget it is an account of an Imperfect person on his sojourn in Cyprus.
Where did I stop? The Mid term exam is here again, and it is getting cold, time to hit the Library like there is no tomorrow, the courses are not as difficult as the previous semester, I have some electives which is certainly an 'A' for me provided I take it serious, study hard and hope for a better result. Frankly, my electives serves as shock absorber for me, unfortunately there are not many of them through out your period of studying Civil Engineering here, all other courses are almost pure Mathematics with Integration and Interation always coming up with their ugly head. The mid term exam came and gone, we are waiting for the result, it takes maximum of 10 days, some even come out with the result the same day or next, Yea, those bald headed professors can be so mean, they want to disrupt you for the rest of your exam.
While some are expecting their result, anticipating and hoping, I was already thinking and counting down the days for the final exam, I got bothered a lot more about paying my fees so as to avoid unnecessary running around and maybe not writing the exam, I'm somewhat a pessimist so that must have increase my worrying spirit but seriously you don't want to miss the finals as a result of non payment of fees, the depression may make you lose more than a semester, yea, that is how bad it can get. As soon as you freeze (defer) a semester, you may just keep freezing till only God knows, the schools charge some money for freezing, you decided to defer because of lack of fund and the school still charges you about 30% of your semester fee... Wow! This people are elitist.. Lol (wrong perception though)
Anyways, the result started coming out, moods start changing, Professors started having several angry knock on their door to ask for scripts, asking with tough hard English why you lost some point. Well, some of us that have very bad scores in some of the important course, will not go knocking on the door, we knew what we wrote and we already expected what we get. It is no miracle, the way you lie, you will sleep.
This crazy people won't give you Area of concentration, we hear stories of how it goes in other faculties, but Engineering mba, How do you expect me to know all the formulas inside this huge book. Oh well! You have to else you will not be an Engineer. My anticipation for result is usually low, unlike others, not just because of the results and to avoid change of mood, I have other things occupying my mind which is finance of course, you don't want to hear people tell you the date, especially when a new month is approaching, My rent plan is on monthly basis, utility bills ain't coming cheap, this landlord comes out smoking every month end, asking you for money every now and then. You have lot's of things to bother on. . I know you will be thinking, if your parent can't sponsor you, then why did you decide to come here, you shouldn't have bite more than you can chew.
Yea you are right, but do you know I started working at the age of 16? I was designed (not trained because my parent never supported that), to try to be a little dependent, yea there must be a cause and that is my dad, he explains, lecture, give you story as well as the full story of all your atrocities since you were born before he gives you a dime, he is willing to give you but he won't till he gives you all of those story, not exaggerating! I never loved those moment and that must have made me think being independent, I sure do depend on him on bigger issues and circumstances like Tuition and the likes, right here in Cyprus, I know how much this my (education project) is causing them, I really want to help them out a little, and that makes me bothered and worried always. It sure affected me in class too. I was in an exam hall one day and I was lost thinking about how to make ends meet. He sometimes end up paying most times though. Don't pity me, those struggles makes me a better person and head above all of my mates around me. I love it and I'm proud of it! I struggle to fend a little for myself and every penny makes me more proud of who I'm becoming, it is a work in progress. Results started coming in, my close associates are from other Nationalities, Turkish and other nationalities, they will not ask you what you result is or trying to get in competition with you, that helps me a little bit but still has it's adverse effect. I later checked, some were good, few on the average and one far below average, I never attended the class, it clashes with one of my more important lecture that takes 5 full hours. What can I do? The crazy supervisor won't remove it, he kept threatening me with Graduation problems, Don't forget it is Midterm but it is as important as the finals, most times a failure in midterm exam can result to failure in finals, exclusive to my department as I don't know exactly how it pans out in other faculties.
It is getting colder, jackets are needed, boots are summoned, you begin to sleep more, you fall asleep immediately you get back from class. sleeping becomes competition, studying at home becomes a taboo, you barely expose your feet for an hour. Wow! People are shivering, ambulance flying over once in a while, new students and some old collapsing, and we are not even in Russia. oh well, it doesn't snow here but it can be very cold! I mean VERY COLD. December is coming, Christmas is here, Semester Finals is closing in, Money becoming huge problem, School sending notice and threat notes of how debtors won't write finals. You keep giving a deep sigh at intervals suddenly! Plight of a an international student.

11 Likes

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by zezebabyxoxo: 4:41pm On Aug 19, 2014
Ok
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by clemmonce(m): 2:18pm On Aug 20, 2014
chuckvinz: I wonder how it will be like studying mechanical engineering in u.s.a? any idea guys...as an undergraduate..? dats were i am going.
create a thread and ask whatever question you want to ask. don't derail this thread.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by bis7(f): 11:30am On Aug 23, 2014
@mctolspell i will like to know how easy or hard it is to cross frm north to south , or if students are allowed to go on holiday jobs to the south .[color=#550000][/color]
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by goldenboyofpsy(m): 5:24pm On Aug 23, 2014
mctolspell: Thanks for your contribution pwettyyolly....my gpa is not that bad,I'm keeping up and trust me, I keep surprising myself every semester. However, I place no importance on my gpa, I'm more concerned about what I learn while I plan in taking over the world... Hence my decision in noy changing department when the challenges came in. Good you did and you obviously have no cause to regret! Some people still fail after changing you know? ;-).... Hopefully we will get there someday. You didn't hijacknthe thread, and I missed out on the picture :-( not sure if anybody did... Maybe you should give us another chance ;-)
Hello bro nice experience and write up!!!!! I have a church brother who wants to study engineering abroad I told him Cyprus and he said no problem!!!! Pls,how do we go about it?? Your school website so he can start or do I send you my email address or facebook I'd so we can talk more?? Thanks in anticipation!!!!!! God that started with you,will make you end in grand style!!
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Iyowuski: 2:20pm On Aug 24, 2014
Thanks bro...on the average how much can. One buy books dia (text books)....and wich is cheaper living on campus or off it?
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by segun99: 9:34pm On Sep 21, 2014
@mctolsell nice contribution! I done see person way they think like me. As a guy I find it very difficult asking my parent extra money, aside tuition fee. Similar experience in turkey too bro
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by segun99: 9:35pm On Sep 21, 2014
cool
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Pelumiv(m): 5:21am On Sep 22, 2014
I have been looking for this thread since i got to Italy for study. Mctolspell, the reason why am reading your story is because i will be in your shoe soonest. So, please don't stop this life experirnce he dey ginger me wella. Ciao.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Manweysabi(m): 10:30am On Sep 22, 2014
Pelumiv: I have been looking for this thread since i got to Italy for study. Mctolspell, the reason why am reading your story is because i will be in your shoe soonest. So, please don't stop this life experirnce he dey ginger me wella. Ciao.

Ha... Bro... You don port to italy? cheesy

Congrats and wish you God's favor.
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by flexxyworld(m): 4:33pm On Sep 22, 2014
Pelumiv: I have been looking for this thread since i got to Italy for study. Mctolspell, the reason why am reading your story is because i will be in your shoe soonest. So, please don't stop this life experirnce he dey ginger me wella. Ciao.

Collate enuf info man, maybe it can help some of your brotherman down here.. all va best
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Pelumiv(m): 3:02pm On Sep 23, 2014
Manweysabi:
Ha... Bro... You don port to italy? cheesy
Congrats and wish you God's favor.
Abi oooo boss. Na God sha.

flexxyworld:
Collate enuf info man, maybe it can help some of your brotherman down here.. all va best

No wahala bro. i fit write my own story one day sha.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Niftyrules(m): 11:18pm On Oct 05, 2014
@OP Mehn This is superstory. @OP Mehn This is superstory. @OP Mehn This is superstory.
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Niftyrules(m): 7:06pm On Oct 07, 2014
mctolspell:
I had to give it a little break as it was almost going off the reason why we started this, the main reason is to point and paint the plight of a typical International student in a country like Cyprus, nothing more. Not to glorify or bring my self down and never to make people pity me or something. I felt if I could get an opportunity like this before coming here, I would have come better prepared. All fingers are not equal, some peeps will need this and some will not. Let's still not forget it is an account of an Imperfect person on his sojourn in Cyprus.
Where did I stop? The Mid term exam is here again, and it is getting cold, time to hit the Library like there is no tomorrow, the courses are not as difficult as the previous semester, I have some electives which is certainly an 'A' for me provided I take it serious, study hard and hope for a better result. Frankly, my electives serves as shock absorber for me, unfortunately there are not many of them through out your period of studying Civil Engineering here, all other courses are almost pure Mathematics with Integration and Interation always coming up with their ugly head. The mid term exam came and gone, we are waiting for the result, it takes maximum of 10 days, some even come out with the result the same day or next, Yea, those bald headed professors can be so mean, they want to disrupt you for the rest of your exam.
While some are expecting their result, anticipating and hoping, I was already thinking and counting down the days for the final exam, I got bothered a lot more about paying my fees so as to avoid unnecessary running around and maybe not writing the exam, I'm somewhat a pessimist so that must have increase my worrying spirit but seriously you don't want to miss the finals as a result of non payment of fees, the depression may make you lose more than a semester, yea, that is how bad it can get. As soon as you freeze (defer) a semester, you may just keep freezing till only God knows, the schools charge some money for freezing, you decided to defer because of lack of fund and the school still charges you about 30% of your semester fee... Wow! This people are elitist.. Lol (wrong perception though)
Anyways, the result started coming out, moods start changing, Professors started having several angry knock on their door to ask for scripts, asking with tough hard English why you lost some point. Well, some of us that have very bad scores in some of the important course, will not go knocking on the door, we knew what we wrote and we already expected what we get. It is no miracle, the way you lie, you will sleep.
This crazy people won't give you Area of concentration, we hear stories of how it goes in other faculties, but Engineering mba, How do you expect me to know all the formulas inside this huge book. Oh well! You have to else you will not be an Engineer. My anticipation for result is usually low, unlike others, not just because of the results and to avoid change of mood, I have other things occupying my mind which is finance of course, you don't want to hear people tell you the date, especially when a new month is approaching, My rent plan is on monthly basis, utility bills ain't coming cheap, this landlord comes out smoking every month end, asking you for money every now and then. You have lot's of things to bother on. . I know you will be thinking, if your parent can't sponsor you, then why did you decide to come here, you shouldn't have bite more than you can chew.
Yea you are right, but do you know I started working at the age of 16? I was designed (not trained because my parent never supported that), to try to be a little dependent, yea there must be a cause and that is my dad, he explains, lecture, give you story as well as the full story of all your atrocities since you were born before he gives you a dime, he is willing to give you but he won't till he gives you all of those story, not exaggerating! I never loved those moment and that must have made me think being independent, I sure do depend on him on bigger issues and circumstances like Tuition and the likes, right here in Cyprus, I know how much this my (education project) is causing them, I really want to help them out a little, and that makes me bothered and worried always. It sure affected me in class too. I was in an exam hall one day and I was lost thinking about how to make ends meet. He sometimes end up paying most times though. Don't pity me, those struggles makes me a better person and head above all of my mates around me. I love it and I'm proud of it! I struggle to fend a little for myself and every penny makes me more proud of who I'm becoming, it is a work in progress. Results started coming in, my close associates are from other Nationalities, Turkish and other nationalities, they will not ask you what you result is or trying to get in competition with you, that helps me a little bit but still has it's adverse effect. I later checked, some were good, few on the average and one far below average, I never attended the class, it clashes with one of my more important lecture that takes 5 full hours. What can I do? The crazy supervisor won't remove it, he kept threatening me with Graduation problems, Don't forget it is Midterm but it is as important as the finals, most times a failure in midterm exam can result to failure in finals, exclusive to my department as I don't know exactly how it pans out in other faculties.
It is getting colder, jackets are needed, boots are summoned, you begin to sleep more, you fall asleep immediately you get back from class. sleeping becomes competition, studying at home becomes a taboo, you barely expose your feet for an hour. Wow! People are shivering, ambulance flying over once in a while, new students and some old collapsing, and we are not even in Russia. oh well, it doesn't snow here but it can be very cold! I mean VERY COLD. December is coming, Christmas is here, Semester Finals is closing in, Money becoming huge problem, School sending notice and threat notes of how debtors won't write finals. You keep giving a deep sigh at intervals suddenly! Plight of a an international student.

One will think you're an art student regarding the way you write. Nevertheless, @OP i've also been following you ever
since you reopened this thread. I just hope
you let us work together so that we can
make this diary of yours a manuscript, fine
tune it and publish it to the world. Or what do
you feel.
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by pappy2000: 9:41am On Nov 05, 2014
Wahoo so this thread is back.
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by ukicom86(m): 5:50am On Jan 29, 2015
What's going on? No more updates...I hope you are kool
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Caleycash(m): 12:40pm On Jan 30, 2015
Man God bless u & I so much love ur free mind cause I can envisage that.
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 30, 2015
Seems mctospell is no longer active on nairaland

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by lexycool01(m): 4:28pm On Feb 09, 2015
Is it compulsory to have a international passport before applying for admission or i can do that after securing admission
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by yincx: 10:02pm On Mar 20, 2015
@lexycool: ur passport is ur first document for applucation
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by uzhi(m): 10:07pm On Mar 21, 2015
Thumbs up!
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by zhira: 3:35am On May 22, 2015
Helo pips...any useful info/details as regards admission into ciu and neu respectively....will be glad to get the break down abt tuition fee(1st payment/how much and time/duration allowed for complete payment),accommodation fees yearly,registration,vat,visa processing/application,feeding and life generally on campus.
I'll also appreciate d contact of anyone wntn to schl in any of d abv mentioned uni's or who has strtd his or her processing already for more enlightenment...THANKS!
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 9:24am On May 22, 2015
zhira:
Helo pips...any useful info/details as regards admission into ciu and neu respectively....will be glad to get the break down abt tuition fee(1st payment/how much and time/duration allowed for complete payment),accommodation fees yearly,registration,vat,visa processing/application,feeding and life generally on campus.
I'll also appreciate d contact of anyone wntn to schl in any of d abv mentioned uni's or who has strtd his or her processing already for more enlightenment...THANKS!
www.nairaland.com/351402/north-cyprus/181#351402.5812,Check out this beautiful thread with Oga Wip7,i believe he's the best in that regard,

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by cityAdventures: 12:21pm On May 22, 2015
nice one bro...put this on a blog...your blog, and some pictures too wont hurt. that way, its more enjoyable
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by zhira: 12:44pm On May 22, 2015
Dreamcome2ru:

www.nairaland.com/351402/north-cyprus/181#351402.5812,Check out this beautiful thread with Oga Wip7,i believe he's the best in that regard,

Thanks a bunch @Dreamcome2ru

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 22, 2015
zhira:

Thanks a bunch @Dreamcome2ru
You welcome
Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by uzhi(m): 9:40pm On May 22, 2015
Thumbs up guy. I love your story and how it flows. Watch out for the diary of a lonely guy in ESTONIA.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) by Nobody: 7:14am On May 23, 2015
uzhi:
Thumbs up guy. I love your story and how it flows. Watch out for the diary of a lonely guy in ESTONIA.
Seriously the Op really try,with our little discussion,he's a man i like as a person, he never quit,a good councillor i must say,though the thread has been dull but he will soon be back,Oh yes,your diary am patiently waiting for,just make it a bomb

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Two Passenger Trains Derail In Eastern India. 280 Dead, 900 Injured / Dubai Luxury Shops Missing Nigerians / Beautiful Photos From Abia State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.