Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,959 members, 7,806,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers (27228 Views)

MTN Latest Codes For Data And Calls, 500 Naira for 500MB and lots more / How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom Service Providers / Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by miracle4(m): 10:38pm On Jul 08, 2014
This already seems to be the new trend in town, GSM Operators have assumed the position of spammers and marketing experts. Hardly can one have a peaceful 24hrs without getting those unwanted, unsolicited and extremely annoying text messages and calls from Telecom Service Providers.
As the yeah draws closer to a halt, we have figured out some really helpful insight to help you put this silly trend under control.

What seems to work already with “MTN Nigeria” Subscribers

Prior to this time, we have discussed in details (link here) what seems to be a solution to Nigerian subscribers using the MTN services.

If you are currently using an mtn line and would like to stop those annoying messages usually from 35685, 33113, 35020, 33115 and the rest of them, you can simply send “stop” as a text message to “33111“.
This will remove you from their campaign database irrespective of the type of phone you used in sending the text message.

What works for every other Mobile Telecom Service Providers

This set of solutions should work for you irrespective of your mobile telecommunication services provider. It takes into account; apps, tips and tricks to put this annoying marketing campaigns under control.

Using Nigerian based telecom services providers for example, you should already be familiar with these frequent occurring numbers; 4100 (usually from mtn), 4040, 8888 (usually from glo) and 8181 (usually from airtel).

These numbers don’t matter much, all you need do is to take note of the numbers that is frequently used by the telecom services providers as you will be making use of it in the proceeding step below .

Now that you have identified the numbers?

Now that you have figured out the regular culprits, blocking them completely will no longer be an issue. In this part of our tutorial, we are going to list out 3 proven methods to blocking this numbers from calling or texting your line.

1. By Using Apps

This method will only work with smartphones, tabs and phablets. It is achieved by installing recommended mobile apps based on your mobile phone operating system.

For Symbian – There is NetQin Mobile Security 5.0
For Android – There is call control
For iOS – There is iBlacklist
For Blackberry – There is call blocker pro & Call Control Too

Now that you have installed the proper apps based on your mobile operating system, you need launch and locate the blacklist options, then add all the offending numbers to the blacklist and save.

2. By Using Apps with support for Auto-blacklisting and Community Blacklist features

If you aren’t using your number for bank related activities, installing and activating this kinda apps should be the best option for you as it will block all private text messages, anonymous calls and SMS or calls from short code numbers and/or unknown sources.

Calls and Messages from Spammers,telemarketers, debt collectors, marketers, politicians, advertisers and other unsolicited calls’ offenders will be automatically blocked when this feature is turned on.

There are fewer apps with support for this feature for most mobile phone OS except for android that has a handful of such already including call blocker and Mr Number.

3. By Using the in-built phone Functions

Most phones including features phones has the feature to manually add numbers to your blacklist or “do not disturb” category. For smaller Samsung Java, Chinese Phones, Most Nokia and other feature phones that comes with this option, the settings can be found under settings ==> phone ==>Calls ==> blacklist, screen list or “do not disturb”.

For Samsung Smartphones, Tecno Android , Gionee Android, HTC and other brands that comes with this feature, the settings can be easily located by going to ==> contacts ==> click on the number you wanna block (or manually create a group containing this disturbing numbers)==> click for more options and locate reject list or similar. For most android smartphones with this feature, you can also ==> tap and hold the number you wanna block from your call log list ==> select add to reject list or similar.

[size=17pt]Article Source[/size]

27 Likes

Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by Onlinebizexpert(m): 10:45pm On Jul 08, 2014
wonderful work op, i followed your explanation and it worked but the problem now is that these network providers now call me on phone oooooooo angry

any remedy to that

FTC

interested in online importation business QUOTE ME

4 Likes

Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by mbhs139(m): 6:59am On Jul 09, 2014
I tried the one for MTN and it worked perfectly. In fact, they sent me a message that I would be removed from their database within 24 hours. Thanks a lot for this article. Please let me have that of glo, they are so annoying and fraudulent.

4 Likes

Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by ednut1(m): 7:16am On Jul 09, 2014
nice one
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by abdulslutsky(m): 7:47am On Jul 09, 2014
Good
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by Mutuwa(m): 8:27am On Jul 09, 2014
Thanks for the effective enlightenment. this annoying text spamming has really been a nuisance.
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by Godmother(f): 8:57am On Jul 09, 2014
Thank god I now have a solution to those annoying texts

1 Like

Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by EnterPRO: 9:36am On Jul 09, 2014
very useful info
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by miracle4(m): 9:45am On Jul 09, 2014
mbhs139: I tried the one for MTN and it worked perfectly. In fact, they sent me a message that I would be removed from their database within 24 hours. Thanks a lot for this article. Please let me have that of glo, they are so annoying and fraudulent.
What kinda device are ya using?
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by Abiolabalogun(m): 10:15am On Jul 09, 2014
mbhs139: I tried the one for MTN and it worked perfectly. In fact, they sent me a message that I would be removed from their database within 24 hours. Thanks a lot for this article. Please let me have that of glo, they are so annoying and fraudulent.
Same here bro
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by colonel20: 10:24am On Jul 09, 2014
I tried it this morning, unfortunately after sending me a removal acknowledgment text, I got more messages from 5011,5021,5022

Modified... 2 more messages from 5031 angry

15 Likes

Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by kekakuz(m): 2:44pm On Jul 09, 2014
why would I use a phone to remove my sperm
no way.
my future wife needs it

3 Likes

Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by Adedayolayo(f): 3:14pm On Jul 09, 2014
Thanks
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by alotofgrace(m): 3:45pm On Jul 09, 2014
any caller identification app. does it.... I use truecaller and CIA.... The issue wit som of dem is dat they support a min of 6 digits
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by colonel20: 4:23pm On Jul 09, 2014
kekakuz: why would I use a phone to remove my sperm
no way.
my future wife needs it
You mean sperm Spam? lipsrsealed
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by Kk4(m): 5:39pm On Jul 09, 2014
Thank you so much op. May the almighty God bless you tunu. But how can I stop the centenary sms 35777. They hv killed me with unwanted msg
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by kekakuz(m): 7:33pm On Jul 09, 2014
colonel20:
You mean sperm Spam? lipsrsealed

so you don't know sperm. that yellow white mucous like thing that comes from ......
never mind

1 Like

Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by miracle4(m): 10:43pm On Jul 09, 2014
Kk4: Thank you so much op. May the almighty God bless you tunu. But how can I stop the centenary sms 35777. They hv killed me with unwanted msg
what device do you use ATM?
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by Kk4(m): 12:30am On Jul 10, 2014
miracle4: what device do you use ATM?
nokia touch for my mtn. I sent *stop* to 33111 and they hv not disturbed me since today. I hope they have stop
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by chuxyz(m): 12:36am On Jul 10, 2014
All these network operators will come to a lawless country as Nigeria and do anyhow they like. Are they really doing all these in other countries? NCC should look into this. There should be a regulation on how they send all these unwanted messages. I receive not less than 10 of these messages per day. Most times they send a particular 3times in a day. Another thing is that they don't even care to know if such message is suitable to the a particular set of the general public. How should MTN for instance be sending a muslim to download prayers by Pastor Chris or Adeboye? That is total disturbance I tell you. They should categorize their audience, know what is suitable for who, know who or who wants this and does not want that, etc.

4 Likes

Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by Aitee1: 12:36am On Jul 10, 2014
Noted!!!
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by publicenemy(m): 12:37am On Jul 10, 2014
them go dey embarrass person wth texts.
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by miracle4(m): 12:37am On Jul 10, 2014
Kk4: nokia touch for my mtn. I sent *stop* to 33111 and they hv not disturbed me since today. I hope they have stop
Gosh! Your only option is to wait a-while let me check if i could get in touch with Glo via twitter for a possibility. I thought you're on with a smartphone so i could suggest an app for you.
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by mazizitonene(m): 12:40am On Jul 10, 2014
These network providers are criminals...they will find a way around it....by d way, those numbers them (eg. 33144..33166...38156) dem no dey finish

1 Like

Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by saasala(m): 12:44am On Jul 10, 2014
Thanks so much.
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by donhils: 12:45am On Jul 10, 2014
miracle4: This already seems to be the new trend in town, GSM Operators have assumed the position of spammers and marketing experts. Hardly can one have a peaceful 24hrs without getting those unwanted, unsolicited and extremely annoying text messages and calls from Telecom Service Providers.
As the yeah draws closer to a halt, we have figured out some really helpful insight to help you put this silly trend under control.

What seems to work already with “MTN Nigeria” Subscribers

Prior to this time, we have discussed in details (link here) what seems to be a solution to Nigerian subscribers using the MTN services.

What works for every other Mobile Telecom Service Providers

This set of solutions should work for you irrespective of your mobile telecommunication services provider. It takes into account; apps, tips and tricks to put this annoying marketing campaigns under control.

Using Nigerian based telecom services providers for example, you should already be familiar with these frequent occurring numbers; 4100 (usually from mtn), 4040, 8888 (usually from glo) and 8181 (usually from airtel).

These numbers don’t matter much, all you need do is to take note of the numbers that is frequently used by the telecom services providers as you will be making use of it in the proceeding step below .

Now that you have identified the numbers?

Now that you have figured out the regular culprits, blocking them completely will no longer be an issue. In this part of our tutorial, we are going to list out 3 proven methods to blocking this numbers from calling or texting your line.

1. By Using Apps

This method will only work with smartphones, tabs and phablets. It is achieved by installing recommended mobile apps based on your mobile phone operating system.

For Symbian – There is NetQin Mobile Security 5.0
For Android – There is call control
For iOS – There is iBlacklist
For Blackberry – There is call blocker pro & Call Control Too

Now that you have installed the proper apps based on your mobile operating system, you need launch and locate the blacklist options, then add all the offending numbers to the blacklist and save.

2. By Using Apps with support for Auto-blacklisting and Community Blacklist features

If you aren’t using your number for bank related activities, installing and activating this kinda apps should be the best option for you as it will block all private text messages, anonymous calls and SMS or calls from short code numbers and/or unknown sources.

Calls and Messages from Spammers,telemarketers, debt collectors, marketers, politicians, advertisers and other unsolicited calls’ offenders will be automatically blocked when this feature is turned on.

There are fewer apps with support for this feature for most mobile phone OS except for android that has a handful of such already including call blocker and Mr Number.

3. By Using the in-built phone Functions

Most phones including features phones has the feature to manually add numbers to your blacklist or “do not disturb” category. For smaller Samsung Java, Chinese Phones, Most Nokia and other feature phones that comes with this option, the settings can be found under settings ==> phone ==>Calls ==> blacklist, screen list or “do not disturb”.

For Samsung Smartphones, Tecno Android , Gionee Android, HTC and other brands that comes with this feature, the settings can be easily located by going to ==> contacts ==> click on the number you wanna block (or manually create a group containing this disturbing numbers)==> click for more options and locate reject list or similar. For most android smartphones with this feature, you can also ==> tap and hold the number you wanna block from your call log list ==> select add to reject list or similar.

[size=17pt]Article Source[/size]
Coolies
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by Nobody: 12:45am On Jul 10, 2014
Thanx for sharing.
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by herald9: 12:45am On Jul 10, 2014
Imagine MTN sending me thesame message 10 times under 5 mins

Thanks bun
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by OgidiOlu3(m): 12:45am On Jul 10, 2014
kekakuz: why would I use a phone to remove my sperm
no way.
my future wife needs it

When do I get to laugh? undecided

4 Likes

Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by Nobody: 12:46am On Jul 10, 2014
Nothing can stop them except Boko - Haram locate the office they are sending them from.

3 Likes

Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by whisper88(m): 12:48am On Jul 10, 2014
B
Re: How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers by Innodon(m): 12:49am On Jul 10, 2014
Thanks for the info

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

High Cost Of Phones In Nigeria / The Nokia 6: Price And Full Specifications / Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X Review 1 Year Later - Should You Buy It In 2018?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.