Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,943 members, 7,806,723 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. (2259 Views)

11-year-old Boy Admitted To The University To Study Quantum Physics / Public Schools Back In Those Days (Your Experiences) / The Discovery Of Quantum Mechanics (modern Physics Simplified!) At Myudara.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 09, 2014
hi guys, i just thought it is important for those of us who study the sciences to talk about our experience learning Quantum Mechanics.

QM is one of the topics in science that gives most people trouble. As for me, it was pretty tough trying to grab the concept in itself in the first place though i did energy quantization back in sec school. But it got better as i started getting diverse materials on it.

One thing that made it a bit more strange to me was the funny looking symbols and the fact that those symbols and what they stand for were not explained in details.

If you guys can, maybe you can help me out here. When we hear the following, how should we understand it so that it is very real to us?

Wave function

the laplashian constant
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by mathmatica: 7:14am On Jul 09, 2014
there are several ways you can get to understand quantum physicsl...one,being high on concentrated stimulant... two,suffering from mental paralysis... three,being Albert Einstein

2 Likes

Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 9:06am On Jul 09, 2014
mathmatica: there are several ways you can get to understand quantum physicsl...one,being high on concentrated stimulant... two,suffering from mental paralysis... three,being Albert Einstein

as in ehhh! When we were being taught, the only thing i was just hearing is dee sai, dee sai, dee sai! Lol. At a point, our course rep asked the lecturer what benefit all that is going to be of in the society and job market.
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 09, 2014
quantum Mechanics is one area of physics i would like to master not just having the knowledge of it so that i can pass exams, (infact, we have already done the exam), but so that it can shape my understanding and the way i relate with matter.
Thats a bit more fascinating in my opinion.

In one of the videos i downloaded when i was preparing for the exam, the prof said that the fact that bodies are rigid and that we do not go through the floor is due to Quantum Mechanics. That was pretty interesting and i want to understand what he understands.
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 09, 2014
this is the video. I talked about. The man gave me what i didnt get in class. The introduction really did the work of introduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcmGYe39XG0
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 9:30am On Jul 09, 2014
the only thing i wish for now is enough data access to download more of those videos. It sparks in us more interest in science not as an academic subject that we must pass, but as an investigagion of nature!

1 Like

Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by pickabeau1: 7:19pm On Oct 16, 2015
checked your profile

You need to put up more stuff .some of us want to learn
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 12:52am On Nov 29, 2015
pickabeau1:
checked your profile
You need to put up more stuff .some of us want to learn
i do not get you really.
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by pickabeau1: 8:20am On Nov 29, 2015
craziebone:

i do not get you really.

On quantum mech and more....

Put more stuff on
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 27, 2015
pickabeau1:

On quantum mech and more....

Put more stuff on

this is on wave particle-paradox which is still a part of modern physics as quantum mechanics is.

Being thinking about the physical
phenomenon called the Wave-Particle Paradox, like i've always thought about, and...i think i've reached a new realization and understanding of it.

I use to think the phenomenon means that the physical world is actually a blend of the two: wave and particle. More like a hybrid of
the two.

My new understanding of it is: a wave is a wave and a particle is a particle. Its just that one can show the properties of the other in
certain situations. Nature is not a blend of or hybrid of the two, no! It is either one or the other, and not the two at the same time.

An electron, proton, the stones around us, the stars and the heavenly bodies as well as us humans, are actually particles with well defined rigid boundaries. Its just that these
particles could begin to show wave-like qualities such as interference as they move
at certain speed. We see this in the Double slits experiment.
In the same way too, all the constituents of the electro-magnetic spectrum as well as
water waves and all the other kinds of waves, are just what they are...WAVES! They are not tangible bodies with rigid boundaries, no! Its just that in some situations, it would begin to exhibit the
characteristics of a particle like displacing a body from its mean possition when they come in contact with the body. This can be
observed in the Compton and Einstein's photo-electric effects.

I don't know if i am correct here, but i think this one is certainly clearer than the previous ones.
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by pickabeau1: 7:49pm On Dec 27, 2015
craziebone:

this is on wave particle-paradox which is still a part of modern physics as quantum mechanics is.

Being thinking about the physical
phenomenon called the Wave-Particle Paradox, like i've always thought about, and...i think i've reached a new realization and understanding of it.

I use to think the phenomenon means that the physical world is actually a blend of the two: wave and particle. More like a hybrid of
the two.

My new understanding of it is: a wave is a wave and a particle is a particle. Its just that one can show the properties of the other in
certain situations. Nature is not a blend of or hybrid of the two, no! It is either one or the other, and not the two at the same time.

An electron, proton, the stones around us, the stars and the heavenly bodies as well as us humans, are actually particles with well defined rigid boundaries. Its just that these
particles could begin to show wave-like qualities such as interference as they move
at certain speed. We see this in the Double slits experiment.
In the same way too, all the constituents of the electro-magnetic spectrum as well as
water waves and all the other kinds of waves, are just what they are...WAVES! They are not tangible bodies with rigid boundaries, no! Its just that in some situations, it would begin to exhibit the
characteristics of a particle like displacing a body from its mean possition when they come in contact with the body. This can be
observed in the Compton and Einstein's photo-electric effects.

I don't know if i am correct here, but i think this one is certainly clearer than the previous ones.

Heisenberg...

Your postulastion makes sense

A ball thrown at a wall while a particle exhibits wave like properties when viewed from a microscopic angle

Remember a straight line can be expressed as a wave...Fourier transforms..
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 8:28pm On Dec 27, 2015
pickabeau1:

Heisenberg...

Your postulastion makes sense

A ball thrown at a wall while a particle exhibits wave like properties when viewed from a microscopic angle

Remember a straight line can be expressed as a wave...Fourier transforms..

please explain how a straight line, which is most time a one dimensional quantity, can be expressed as a wave, which is only expressed in dimensions greater than one.

And the Fourier Transformation... I only crammed the workings on it. I never knew wha it was. cheesy
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by pickabeau1: 8:40pm On Dec 27, 2015
craziebone:

please explain how a straight line, which is most time a one dimensional quantity, can be expressed as a wave, which is only expressed in dimensions greater than one.

And the Fourier Transformation... I only crammed the workings on it. I never knew wha it was. cheesy

Men....That's a long time ago

But Fourier expresses lines as a function of multiples of x

So a straight line say y =x can be written as a wave transform

Check this website
http://www.sosmath.com/fourier/fourier1/fourier1.html

Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 9:04pm On Dec 27, 2015
pickabeau1:

Check this website
http://www.sosmath.com/fourier/fourier1/fourier1.html

naaaa, i am not going to go there. I just want to focus more on modern physics and get to understand certain things.

I think the Fourier Transformation is actually a maths topic brought into physics.
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 27, 2015
pickabeau1:

Check this website http://www.sosmath.com/fourier/fourier1/fourier1.html
when you say long, how long is it?
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by pickabeau1: 9:46pm On Dec 27, 2015
craziebone:

naaaa, i am not going to go there. I just want to focus more on modern physics and get to understand certain things.

I think the Fourier Transformation is actually a maths topic brought into physics.

Correct

Long time bro... grin

More than a decade

1 Like

Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jan 11, 2016
pickabeau1:

Correct
Long time bro... grin
More than a decade

more questions:

on the general Quantum Theory: if all the laws of quantum mechanics are confined in the microscopic world, for the most part, and are not very noticable in our large scale world, why then should we be bothered about them, especially when they are very complex to understand and contain some strange mathematics?

On wave probability: the probability of finding a particle in space is so important that we had to derive the schrodinger wave equation to help us know the likelihood of finding a particle in a region of space. My question is...why should the probability of finding a particle in space, be more important than the actual finding of that particle? This question is so important to me because i think it is only when we can actually find that particle and get hold of it, that we can use it.

On quantum entanglement: why should we measure the spin of a particle in the first place? Of what use is the spin of a particle to the human being?
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by pickabeau1: 8:12pm On Jan 11, 2016
craziebone:

more questions:

on the general Quantum Theory: if all the laws of quantum mechanics are confined in the microscopic world, for the most part, and are not very noticable in our large scale world, why then should we be bothered about them, especially when they are very complex to understand and contain some strange mathematics?

On wave probability: the probability of finding a particle in space is so important that we had to derive the schrodinger wave equation to help us know the likelihood of finding a particle in a region of space. My question is...why should the probability of finding a particle in space, be more important than the actual finding of that particle? This question is so important to me because i think it is only when we can actually find that particle and get hold of it, that we can use it.

On quantum entanglement: why should we measure the spin of a particle in the first place? Of what use is the spin of a particle to the human being?

Interesting questions
Basically you are talking of the applications of quantum mechanics

Well....I'm not the best person here

You may need to contact quora
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 11:19am On Jan 19, 2016
pickabeau1:
Interesting questions Basically you are talking of the applications of quantum mechanics Well....I'm not the best person here You may need to contact quora
here are answers to those questions sent to me by one of my professors:
Most of the properties of the sub- microscopic world can be detected within the limits of our equipment. Properties theoretically predicted have been by and large confirmed by experiment, e.g. propagation of electromagnetic waves predicted by James Clerk Maxwell theoretically from the Maxwell Equations were later confirmed in the lab by Heinrich Hertz as oscillating electric dipoles. We now apply this in Radio propagation, TV, GSM and other forms of communication even though you cannot see with the naked eye an oscillating electric dipole. Quantum mechanical properties are abound everywhere: electronics and other solid state detectors, photo-electric effect used in smoke detectors in large hotels and automatic door openers, solar cells for heating and cooling, the World Wide Web, energy from nuclear fission has been harnessed and attempt is being made to harness nuclear fusion as limitless source of energy like that in the sun, etc, etc. Our ability to observe quantum particles is limited by Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. This is because our measurement equipment always causes some uncontrollable disturbance in the motion of quantum particles and you are limited in your ability to determine position and momentum accurately with high precision. That is when the probability interpretation comes in. Probability lies between 0 and 1. Zero means no information and 1 means you are 100% certain and others range between 0 and 1. A probability of 0.6 means you are 60% more likely to know its location. Particles are not seen directly as seeing a ball (macroscopic object) but only their effects such as trajectories in a bubble chamber, photographic plates, etc are deduced. Spins of particles are important because they allow us classify particles according to their statistics and statistics tells us whether particles are fermions or bosons which on their part determine large scale (solid state)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by pickabeau1: 9:02pm On Jan 19, 2016
craziebone:

here are answers to those questions sent to me by one of my professors:

Most of the properties of the sub-
microscopic world can be detected
within the limits of our equipment.
Properties theoretically predicted have been
by and large confirmed by experiment, e.g.
propagation of electromagnetic waves
predicted by James Clerk Maxwell
theoretically from the Maxwell Equations
were later confirmed in the lab by Heinrich
Hertz as oscillating electric dipoles. We now
apply this in Radio propagation, TV, GSM and
other forms of communication even though
you cannot see with the naked eye an
oscillating electric dipole. Quantum
mechanical properties are abound
everywhere: electronics and other solid
state detectors, photo-electric effect used in
smoke detectors in large hotels and
automatic door openers, solar cells for
heating and cooling, the World Wide Web,
energy from nuclear fission has been
harnessed and attempt is being made to
harness nuclear fusion as limitless source of
energy like that in the sun, etc, etc.
Our ability to observe quantum particles is
limited by Heisenberg's uncertainty
principle. This is because our measurement
equipment always causes some
uncontrollable disturbance in the motion of
quantum particles and you are limited in
your ability to determine position and
momentum accurately with high precision.
That is when the probability interpretation
comes in. Probability lies between 0 and 1.
Zero means no information and 1 means
you are 100% certain and others range
between 0 and 1. A probability of 0.6 means
you are 60% more likely to know its
location. Particles are not seen directly as
seeing a ball (macroscopic object) but only
their effects such as trajectories in a bubble
chamber, photographic plates, etc are
deduced.
Spins of particles are important because
they allow us classify particles according to
their statistics and statistics tells us whether
particles are fermions or bosons which on
their part determine large scale (solid state)

Awesome
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jan 19, 2016
pickabeau1:

Interesting questions Basically you are talking of the applications of quantum mechanics
Well....I'm not the best person here
You may need to contact quora
properties such as superfluids, superconductors (used in computers), atomic structure, nuclear structure etc.leading us to understand properties of solids, liquids and gases which may be used in technology.

1 Like

Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 19, 2016
that is the continuation.

I cannot see your last comment where you mentioned me. Can you restore it anyway?
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 6:36pm On Feb 06, 2016
I'm not even into science and I understand the concept of Quantum Mechanics. No jokes, ask me any question. I won't use Quora or YouTube.
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 1:45am On Mar 28, 2016
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by Nobody: 4:18am On Aug 05, 2016
pickabeau1:
Awesome

hello! Longest time.

Pleasantries cut short and moving straight to the point: i am currently serving in the NYSC and i've been very busy that's why i took a break from science and also this thread.

But the fact that i keep coming back to science and technology means that that's what i like and i find joy and fulfillment in. It is part of philosophy for me. Science is a way of asking questions and finding emperical solutions and evidence to those questions. That's how i see science, a way of philosophizing.

Those who know me tell me i ask questions alot; some even nick-named me questionaire. This is my way, my life!

However, just asking questions and finding answers to those questions, are not always financially rewarding. But i'm sure you will agree with me that now, i need to begin to see how i can fend for myself. This is why even though i know that philosophy gives me joy, happiness and peace that comes from fulfilment, i still have to go out there and get a job; a job that may not really have to do with my field. I am also planning to do my science and philosophy at my leisure time.

I have learnt so much in science already but i have not been able to do with my hands all the things that i have learnt. I am talking about psychomotor skills. I learnt about the atom, and its subatomic particles. I learnt that they are actually objects with rigid boundries and some other characteristics. Some people went on ahead and put all these things to work and now we have all the various technologies in the world today to help us overcome challenges. I don't just want to know, i also want to be able to DO!

The world of the micro matter is very interesting to me and i want to not just know, but also be able to manipulate these particles to get other things.

Now, i don't have any speally designed equipment to help me relate and interact with these particles very much, so the best i can do is try to know about circuit design. I hope that at the end of my leaning and doing circuit design, i will not only be able to assemble already laid out circuit diagram on a breadboard and PCB, but i will also be able to concieve my own circuit, test it and see if it works and then print it on a PCB. I can use that technology to solve any problem it is designed for.

Going back to my PPA (actually i'm on break), i plan to buy tye bread board and some electronic compoments. I already have my youtube videos to put me through the circuit design.

What do you think about all i've said? Any thing i am getting wrong? I just want help so i can really develop myself.

Thanks. Craziebone.
Re: Discuss Your Experiences Learning Quantum Mechanics. by pickabeau1: 2:29pm On Aug 20, 2016
Well.done
craziebone

Not being around..Sorry for the long.time response

Be encouraged

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

List Of Some States In Nigeria And Their Zip Codes / Pls Guys Is There Any University That Studies Sound Engineering? / Any Hope For Unilagadmission With This Score

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.