Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,200 members, 7,807,671 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

The Difference Between MICROBIOLOGY And Medical Laboratory Science - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Difference Between MICROBIOLOGY And Medical Laboratory Science (29302 Views)

Aspiration For Medical/clinical Laboratory Science / Where Do Science Laboratory Technology Graduates Work? / Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between MICROBIOLOGY And Medical Laboratory Science by Microtee(m): 9:37am On Jul 09, 2014
Pls i will like to be enlightened on the difference between Microbiology and Medical laboratory science.
Re: The Difference Between MICROBIOLOGY And Medical Laboratory Science by Olarewajub: 10:56am On Jul 09, 2014
There is a whole lot of difference between Med Lab and Microbiology. As a scientist, you are licensed to work in a clinical lab.
Re: The Difference Between MICROBIOLOGY And Medical Laboratory Science by Microtee(m): 12:16pm On Jul 09, 2014
Olarewajub: There is a whole lot of difference between Med Lab and Microbiology. As a scientist, you are licensed to work in a clinical lab.
What about Microbiology bro?
Re: The Difference Between MICROBIOLOGY And Medical Laboratory Science by Olarewajub: 3:56pm On Jul 09, 2014
You are not qualify to work in a med lab. Med Lab is better than Microbiology.
Microtee: What about Microbiology bro?
Re: The Difference Between MICROBIOLOGY And Medical Laboratory Science by nelszx: 7:13am On Feb 09, 2016
Microtee:
Pls i will like to be enlightened on the difference between Microbiology and Medical laboratory science.

Medical Laboratory Science is a vast profession and basically one wouldn't want a microbiologist when u have a Medical Laboratory Scientist with specialty in Medical Microbiology (difference no 1). A Medical Laboratory Scientist with option in medical Microbiology has knowledge in Bacteriology, Mycology, parasitology, Virology etc.

2. Most ppl in Microbiology have no basic Medical science training on humans (Anatomy, physiology and biochemistry)

3. Microbiology do not study extensively drug reaction and it's processes through pharmacology

4. Microbiology(ist) do not have any medical training on other aspects of laboratory practices (haematology, Immunology and Molecular biology, immunohaematology, cytology, cytogenetics, histopathology, Clinical Chemistry).

5. Microbiology(ist) do/did not take professional exams in school as a tool for going forth. If you pass semester course and not successful with professional exam or resit u repeat that year.

6. Upon graduation, a MLScientist comes out with a professional degree BMLS and an oath taking ceremony (induction) which deems him fit to go for internship with a provisional license.

7. A Medical Laboratory Scientist now can stay 2,3 years at home seeking for a placement for internship before thinking of NYSC unlike MCB dat after graduation goes on to NYSC straight

8. U can now see the difference(s)

4 Likes

Re: The Difference Between MICROBIOLOGY And Medical Laboratory Science by fbubaram: 9:45am On Oct 16, 2021
i studied biology abroad, in which course should i do my masters, to be able to work in a hospital
lab.
Re: The Difference Between MICROBIOLOGY And Medical Laboratory Science by AbdoolAY(m): 3:27pm On Oct 16, 2021
fbubaram:
i studied biology abroad, in which course should i do my masters, to be able to work in a hospital
lab.

Go for Molecular Biology. If you love studying genes, go for Medical Genetics ( not sure if available in Nigeria tho). Another good option is Biotechnology; you can use it an further your studies on cancer research or drug/vaccine development.

Voila!

(1) (Reply)

An Aviator And A Nairalanda Is Celebrating His Birthday Today / What Can One Do With N42k Salary? / 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.