Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,796 members, 7,798,687 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer (26833 Views)

Fayose Kneels Before Bamidele Olumilua, A Former Ondo State Governor (Photos) / Bamidele Aturu's Death Aided By The Same SILLY Doctors He Defended While Alive! / Aturu Slams Fashola On Lagos Fire Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by talk2smat(m): 7:44pm On Jul 09, 2014
This just came in now. Human rights lawyer, Bamidele Aturu, is dead. Aturu reportedly died on Wednesday evening according to a colleague, Olanrewaju Suraj. Suraji confirmed that Aturu was sick briefly before he died in a Lagos hospital.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/human-rights-lawyer-aturu-is-dead/

The human rights community in Nigeria is in great mourning today as news filtered out of the death of radical lawyer and activist, Bamidele Aturu.

Mr. Aturu died today after a period of an undisclosed illness. He was 49 years old.

The late lawyer was one of the founding members Democratic Alternative, a political group committed to pursuing deep-rooted democratic principles and holding those in power accountable to the governed.

He came to prominence as a fighter against power abuses when, as a member of the National Youth Service Corps, he refused to shake the hand of a military administrator of Niger State, Col. Lawan Gwadabe in 1988 during his NYSC passing out parade declaring that the military had caused great harm to the democratic aspirations of Nigerians.

Mr. Aturu studied law at the University of Ife, and devoted much of his legal practice to representing marginalized or oppressed individuals and groups.

The late activist was nominated as a member of the ongoing national confab, but he renounced his membership, arguing that the conference was designed to achieve nothing.

A human rights activist in Abuja stated that Mr. Aturu's death "has created a huge void in the camp of those of us working to enthrone a solid democratic culture where political power is deployed to serve the interests of the generality of citizens."

http://saharareporters.com/2014/07/09/prominent-human-rights-activist-bamidele-aturu-dead-49

Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by tpia5: 7:47pm On Jul 09, 2014
No.

Source?

Is that why that useless f.ool logged on in romance section to insult all his female forebears, not me?
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 09, 2014
Very sad. May his soul RIP
BREAKING: Nigeria human rights lawyer, Bamidele Aturu, is dead

July 9,2014

The lawyer died in a Lagos hospital.
——————————————-
One of Nigeria’s foremost human rights lawyers, Bamidele Aturu, is dead.

Mr. Aturu, who is known to champion human rights and constitutionalism, died on Wednesday evening after a brief illness.

A friend of the deceased and leading civil society member, Olanrewaju Suraju, confirmed the death to PREMIUM TIMES.

Mr. Aturu died in a Lagos hospital.

Other associates of the deceased also confirmed the death.
Details later…

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/164640-breaking-nigeria-human-rights-lawyer-bamidele-aturu-is-dead.html

5 Likes

Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by Tolexander: 8:49pm On Jul 09, 2014
Peace in rest!

2 Likes

Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by seunmsg(m): 8:56pm On Jul 09, 2014
One of the few remaining fierce, fearless and forthright human right activist and social crusader. This is a very sad news, may his soul rest in perfect peace.

7 Likes

Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by PapaBrowne(m): 9:08pm On Jul 09, 2014
Shocking!!!
May God grant his family strength!!

May God grant us all the wisdom to know that we don't belong here forever.
May He grant us capacity to give our best everyday of our lives.
May He give us the understanding to love one another unconditionally irrespective of tribe, religion or class!

11 Likes

Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by nduchucks: 9:09pm On Jul 09, 2014
What a loss!!

inaa lillaahi wa inaa illayhi raji'oon (To God we belong and to Him is our return)

12 Likes

Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by tempem: 9:11pm On Jul 09, 2014
shocking!!
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by angela98(f): 9:12pm On Jul 09, 2014
shocked no ooo shocked shocking shocked shocked
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 09, 2014
So many deaths from June and till date. Very sad honestly!

RIP Sir!

embarassed

4 Likes

Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by Onlinebizexpert(m): 9:12pm On Jul 09, 2014
rip

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ONLINE IMPORTATION BIZ quote me
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by Simplestone(f): 9:14pm On Jul 09, 2014
what is happening? Human right lawyers dying,,,,,,have mercy lord
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by Edwardhead(m): 9:15pm On Jul 09, 2014
RIP

I MADE FP TODAY

1 Like

Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by miqos02(m): 9:16pm On Jul 09, 2014
R.I.P
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by Dapsynzeal(m): 9:16pm On Jul 09, 2014
A very brilliant lawyer and fearless activist...RIP Barrister

1 Like

Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by bercarray(m): 9:16pm On Jul 09, 2014
is okay o,R.I.P,When is d burial ceremony going to come up,pls let it be afta dz ramadan,Op update me if u hear any in4matn abt d burial ceremony.pls nairalanders dn't quote me o
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by angelTI(f): 9:16pm On Jul 09, 2014
The good ones are dying....
The bad ones are living.....
What a life!

RIP Sir

3 Likes

Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by dridowu: 9:17pm On Jul 09, 2014
Sun Re Ooooooooo
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by akpumping7720(m): 9:17pm On Jul 09, 2014
R.I.P boss. Rest well in d bossom of d Almighty.....
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by revelationuche: 9:17pm On Jul 09, 2014
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by miqos02(m): 9:18pm On Jul 09, 2014
Onlinebizexpert:

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ONLINE IMPORTATION BIZ quote me
I AM NOT INTERESTED

11 Likes

Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by san316(m): 9:18pm On Jul 09, 2014
Human rights lawyer? Eyyaaa! May God give us the fortitude to bear the loss. Chai! Poor man don suffer.
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by cheguevera: 9:18pm On Jul 09, 2014
G
Q ofe mmanu RIP
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by tonididdy(m): 9:20pm On Jul 09, 2014
Aaeyar
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by xclntmoda(f): 9:20pm On Jul 09, 2014
Till we meet at Jesus' feet, RIP.
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by RICHIEBOI1(m): 9:21pm On Jul 09, 2014
Oh lord. May his gentle soul rest in peace. He was a regular guest on Channels tv. cry
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by bestman09(m): 9:21pm On Jul 09, 2014
R I P to him
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 09, 2014
NO .IT CAN'T BE TRUE shocked embarassed

HE WAS A ROLE MODEL TO ASPIRING LAWYERS LIKE ME embarassed

R.I.P SIR,ONE OF THE FEW GOOD LAWYERS WE HAD LEFT IN NIGERIA cry

3 Likes

Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by Vock(m): 9:22pm On Jul 09, 2014
I've not even heard of him before now,RIP

1 Like

Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by talktimi(m): 9:23pm On Jul 09, 2014
Some politicians will be happy about his death.
Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by warrenweste(m): 9:24pm On Jul 09, 2014
Baba suwe must be in schock by now

1 Like

Re: Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer by freshness2020: 9:25pm On Jul 09, 2014
The faithful and radical patriots are just dying, leaving the corrupt and heartless one's in the hands of the gullible masses !
The bad news is that,ever since the good one's left, the generation to come have been finding it difficult to fill the shoes of our great patriots who left us.
The goodnews is that, they have made a footprints in the sands of time!
I wish U̶̲̥̅̊ safe journey to the Land of Eternal rest!
Je ke oma!
Sun re Oº°˚˚°ºo.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Twin Bomb Blast In Jos, 44 Killed, 67 Injured (Photos) / Buhari Meets With Service Chiefs At The State House (Photos) / What Is The Meaning Of Afonja?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.