Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? (2067 Views)

Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting / See what Watching Parents Have Sex, Made This 5 Years Old Calabar Girl Do / Did Your Marriage Start With "Will You Marry Me" Or "Oga, I Don Miss My Period"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 10, 2014
When we were kids,most of us had the opportunity of going out with our parents to visit friends/relatives. Most times,when we get to a family friend's house and we are offered food to eat,we quickly turn to the direction of our parents especially Mum to get her approval or disapproval first. How? She doesn't do this by talking. By mere looking at her face,we understand her message. A wink or stern look means we dare not take such food knowing we would be punished when we get home. A smile or a slight nod means she ok'd it. So,what was your parents esp. ur Mum's body language? Why are Mums experts in body language? Do our modern-day parents have body language?
Share your experience.
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 11:20am On Jul 10, 2014
Let's say it's innate for every protective Mum -esp with the food part. Africans don't mess around with Juju. grin

For me, I was Seriously warned not to accept anything from anyone. So I always rebuff at hand but only if my Mum or any Elderly relative is around.
If Mum wants me to accept, she would normally pressure me to accept. It saves me the trouble to search for the signs. smiley

#That awkward moment the kid is looking straight at you without taking his eyes off.. phew. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by crackhaus: 11:27am On Jul 10, 2014
gringrin
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 10, 2014
Sure, I call it sign language grin when we visit people, relatives and even when we receive visitors, mum will tell us with her eyes what she wants us to do and all. Chai grin grin cheesy
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 10, 2014
Mums' have body language for practically everything, not just when u want to collect money or food frm guest. When I was lil, b4 I started getting my monthly flow, I'd always see adverts of sanitary pads( always ultra) on tv and I'd always wondered what it was used for. Till one day, I asked my mum. Well, she gave me the pls-dont-ask-me-about-that-just-yet kinda look. I didn't understand the look then but it still got me scrambling shyly to my room grin wink cheesy

1 Like

Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by cdamsel(f): 11:58am On Jul 10, 2014
MzMariah: Sure, I call it sign language grin when we visit people, relatives and even when we receive visitors, mum will tell us with her eyes what she wants us to do and all. Chai grin grin cheesy
my mum too grin
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jul 10, 2014
cdamsel: my mum too grin
I go do am to my children too grin

1 Like

Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by egopersonified(f): 12:04pm On Jul 10, 2014
The fear of a mother's look is the beginning of wisdom, that look puts u in check, even in her absence, u dear not collect food from neighbours, relatives and friends, trust your siblings to report you and enjoy watching you get the beating of your life. *Punishment for long throat humbles a child*
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by PrinceAdepoju(m): 12:05pm On Jul 10, 2014
Not all of our modern-day parents have body languages.

Why?
They don't seem to believe in all those things our 'then' parents believed. They see it as a civilised world and nothing's gonna happen to their kids...

My mom used to do that--communication with the body, through wink, nod and the look on her face.

The thing is, train your child the way he should go and he'll never depart from it.

You will see some children jump at things, even before you give it out to them...talkless of searching their parents' face for approval.

Our children should be taught from home that they should never collect anything from anybody except their parents' approval.
Even if they will collect, they must show it to their parents.

My parents had body languages...and they trained their children to have them too!!

I think that's part of the 'charity that begins at home'

1 Like

Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by cdamsel(f): 12:09pm On Jul 10, 2014
MzMariah: I go do am to my children too grin
Most definitely, if I can't, will parcel them to my mum to imbibe the skills in them grin

1 Like

Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 10, 2014
cdamsel: Most definitely, if I can't, will parcel them to my mum to imbibe the skills in them grin
cheesy
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by kreamidiva(f): 12:36pm On Jul 10, 2014
My daughter likes climbing on top of her male cousin's body and sit on his laps (something i'm not comfy with and i''ve warned her severally). So anytime she's sitting on his laps and i step into the living room,i'll give her one long hard stare that she wouldn't know when she would jump down from his laps!

1 Like

Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by PrinceAdepoju(m): 12:46pm On Jul 10, 2014
kreamidiva: My daughter likes climbing on top of her male cousin's body and sit on his laps (something i'm not comfy with and i''ve warned her severally). So anytime she's sitting on his laps and i step into the living room,i'll give her one long hard stare that she wouldn't know when she would jump down from his laps!
that's funny..
she will soon learn how to never sit on his laps again...even behind you.
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jul 10, 2014
MzMariah: Sure, I call it sign language grin when we visit people, relatives and even when we receive visitors, mum will tell us with her eyes what she wants us to do and all. Chai grin grin cheesy
just like my mummy too. Lwkm...so dear,if u've ur own kids,would u do same? I just saw ur reply dear. I agree with u..
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jul 10, 2014
egopersonified: The fear of a mother's look is the beginning of wisdom, that look puts u in check, even in her absence, u dear not collect food from neighbours, relatives and friends, trust your siblings to report you and enjoy watching you get the beating of your life. *Punishment for long throat humbles a child*
ROTFL! grin i love the part u said the fear of the mother is the begining of wisdom. Chai
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jul 10, 2014
PrinceAdepoju: Not all of our modern-day parents have body languages.

Why?
They don't seem to believe in all those things our 'then' parents believed. They see it as a civilised world and nothing's gonna happen to their kids...

My mom used to do that--communication with the body, through wink, nod and the look on her face.

The thing is, train your child the way he should go and he'll never depart from it.

You will see some children jump at things, even before you give it out to them...talkless of searching their parents' face for approval.

Our children should be taught from home that they should never collect anything from anybody except their parents' approval.
Even if they will collect, they must show it to their parents.

My parents had body languages...and they trained their children to have them too!!

I think that's part of the 'charity that begins at home'
I love this!
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jul 10, 2014
Jennimma:
just like my mummy too. Lwkm...so dear,if u've ur own kids,would u do same?
My sister it's a good thing o, then if we have visitors and mum does not want us around, she just looks at us and that's it, she has succeed in passing her message and we would understand too. She does it till today.

If we go out and they offer us food, money or whatsoever, we would look at her and get her consent if to take it or not. In the market too, she would use her eyes to tell me if its ok or not, if the price is worth it or not and if we are buying or not.

My siblings and I also communicate with our eyes when we go out, we can be in the mist of people and be communicating and nobody would know. I feel is cool and I will sure teach my kids body language.

1 Like

Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by daveP(m): 2:23pm On Jul 10, 2014
Would i call it observation or investigation? But i have come to conclude children that parents use ' body language' for always have self esteem issues!

1 Like

Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by KelvinGraphics(m): 3:11pm On Jul 10, 2014
cdamsel: my mum too grin
Even my own mum toogrin
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by KelvinGraphics(m): 3:12pm On Jul 10, 2014
MzMariah: I go do am to my children too grin
Yeah, we go do am to our children toogrin
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 10, 2014
KelvinGraphics:
Yeah, we go do am to our children toogrin
Lol.
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by KelvinGraphics(m): 3:18pm On Jul 10, 2014
MzMariah: Lol.
Y are U LOLing na, or shouldnt we do it to them??
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 10, 2014
KelvinGraphics:
Y are U LOLing na, or shouldnt we do it to them??
grin
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by KelvinGraphics(m): 3:23pm On Jul 10, 2014
MzMariah: grin
Now showing me ur Gold coated 32 instead of answering my question... Dia ris Goduooo
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 10, 2014
KelvinGraphics:
Now showing me ur Gold coated 32 instead of answering my question... Dia ris Goduooo
Don't worry we will. cheesy
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by PrinceAdepoju(m): 5:02pm On Jul 10, 2014
KelvinGraphics:
MzMariah: Don't worry we will cheesy
gringringrin
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by KelvinGraphics(m): 5:45pm On Jul 10, 2014
PrinceAdepoju: gringringrin
Hey My Prince, Kilodey?
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by cdamsel(f): 6:32pm On Jul 10, 2014
KelvinGraphics:
Even my own mum toogrin
all mum's are just the same grin
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by lamdec(f): 7:53pm On Jul 10, 2014
I suffered from this body language thing eh, I can never forget one incident that happened back when I was in primary school. We had our end of the year party and my parents couldn't come around and we were given this Cone ice cream, d one the put the ice cream on a cone buscuit,.....the fear of mum beating me if she hears that I ate outside made me keep it till I got home, on getting home,the thing hasn't melted ...chai...it was painful eh, she was blaming me again for keeping it since I was given by my teachers.

2 Likes

Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jul 10, 2014
lamdec: I suffered from this body language thing eh, I can never forget one incident that happened back when I was in primary school. We had our end of the year party and my parents couldn't come around and we were given this Cone ice cream, d one the put the ice cream on a cone buscuit,.....the fear of mum beating me if she hears that I ate outside made me keep it till I got home, on getting home,the thing hasn't melted ...chai...it was painful eh, she was blaming me again for keeping it since I was given by my teachers.
laff don tear my belle. Chai! Mothers
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jul 10, 2014
We've been talking so much of our mommas, what about dads,don't they've any body lang.? Drop ur comments.
Re: Did Your Parents Have Any Body Language? by PrinceAdepoju(m): 11:58am On Jul 11, 2014
KelvinGraphics:
Hey My Prince, Kilodey?
ko si nkankan oo, I just dey view ni wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair / People Busy Taking Pictures Of Suicide Victim In Magodo / Boy Lands In Hot Soup At Sugar Mummy’s House In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.