Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:02 PM

Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here (118688 Views)

Offshore, Oil And Gas Industry - Disaster. / Osun Worker Attempts Suicide Over Unpaid Salary / Do You Want Be To An Offshore Oil Rig Worker? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Lenzz(m): 1:59pm On Jul 31, 2014
PiperAlpha:
Impressive!! I wish to work offshore too one day.

Lol. Like Dave pointed out, your moniker is a contradition to your comment above. PiperAlpha was an offshore platform in Aberdeen Scotland where d worst oil rig disaster in history occurred, I think sometime in d fall of '89. I recall researching on it during oil pollution nd control class in my futo days.

Nice inputs all. @ocman, excellent nd articulate summary you put up there. That line 'one more night' got me thinking. Its an in-house joke I thought were only exclusive with folks I do shifts with. Nice to know we're not alone.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by IYIMAN: 8:40pm On Jul 31, 2014
softandsweet:
Please don't skip breakfast

Thank you, it just becomes routine and boring + weight gain of 2kg every month, u need to work on your weight and exercise. Talking about beautiful Nurses, do you guys have female Nurses on your platforms? I only know of onshore/land facilities having female OHN and not FPSO who are Medics (male nurses and Doctors).

2 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by upengineer: 7:23am On Aug 01, 2014
You will not be stressed up, trust me on that. Most things that keep you going now are available offshore. In my field, we have wi-fi in strategic locations and in the rooms. So, if you are an internet freak, that's a plus for you. If you like football, am sure DSTV connections available in rooms should solve that for you. You will definitely see colleagues that belong to your club. If you also like watching movies and news, you will get enough of it. If you are the athletic type, the gym is available for you to go and exercise yourself. So, you won't be stressed up. We don't have female nurse on my FPSO, we only male Doctors. So, read, have a good grade, believe in yourself and above all put your trust in God.
salamso96: This thread is a highly motivating one. Am a student Of Mechanical and productions engineering here in Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Bauchi. and i wish that one day probably after graduation, i would get to work offshore.
I really need you that are into it aleady to give a little piece of advice on how to make it up there without being stressed up. Cus obviously you all sound relaxed and cool now. You know what u see on your pay slip makes you smile. Definitely u must have been through some hard times. Nothing good comes easy.
please give us aspirant areas where we should focus more on. God bless y'all.

4 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by udz: 6:08pm On Aug 03, 2014
Empress2014: smileyAm not an offshore worker, but I wish to work in the oil industry smiley(Administrative)
Admistrative? ? . . . No wonder ur head BIG.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Empress2014(f): 7:20pm On Aug 03, 2014
udz:
Admistrative? ? . . . No wonder ur head BIG.
big indeed undecided
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by segzysexy(m): 8:07pm On Aug 03, 2014
Hi nairalanders. Is their anybody in the house who is working or as worked as an I.T student for Total offshore i really need ur help urgently
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by davide470(m): 9:10pm On Aug 03, 2014
segzysexy: Hi nairalanders. Is their anybody in the house who is working or as worked as an I.T student for Total offshore i really need ur help urgently
Yeah. What's the problem bro.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 5:59am On Aug 04, 2014
#OilandGasTestsGuide
Prepare for scholarships, job tests and job interviews in the oil and gas sector. Visit www.oilandgastestsguide.com for more information.
If you are interested, you can send a mail to 5252world@gmail.com with the subject 'OilandGasTestsGuide'.

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by segzysexy(m): 8:23pm On Aug 04, 2014
Tanx 4 d response davide.which oilfield does the i.t student work with during their time as a trainee
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by davide470(m): 9:06pm On Aug 04, 2014
segzysexy: Tanx 4 d response davide.which oilfield does the i.t student work with during their time as a trainee
Depends on if you are posted to any of the Field department (Akpo, Egina, Odudu, or OML58). You don't necessary work offshore, but in the office. Going offshore is periodical and it takes a lot of calling for approval. Are you in for the next batch?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by segzysexy(m): 8:16pm On Aug 07, 2014
Yeah davide.where u also once an i.t student in total? cos i really see u know the in and out of the i.t programme
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by olaoluwajosh: 7:04am On Aug 08, 2014
Thanks for this bros...blessed you are ..am josh a graduate of computer science with professional certifications to back it up with years of exexperience I need a job in an offshore...my e mail is - banwood45@gmail.com .Thanks. .
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by segzysexy(m): 5:42pm On Aug 08, 2014
@davide. Am waitin 4 ur reply o
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by davide470(m): 9:08pm On Aug 08, 2014
segzysexy: Yeah davide.where u also once an i.t student in total? cos i really see u know the in and out of the i.t programme
Yes I was
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by okito: 9:53pm On Aug 08, 2014
As an Engineer, offshore work is like a dream come true especially on your first visit to the rig or production platform, however as the realities of the associated dangers begin to set in, you ask yourself if this is really what you want to do. Flying to location is just as risky as being on location itself especially when you are drilling an exploratory well and prognosis suggests highly pressured reservoirs. Food is served 5-7am/pm & 11 -1am/pm. ofcourse you have the best of local & continental dishes but after a while you just get tired of the food & become home sick. Working offshore when everything goes well can be boring, it gets interesting when you have a technical challenge to resolve, however you would rather everything goes smoothly (my opinion). Hey! I remember once flying out of location and 10 mins into the flight, the chopper starts acting funny, being the only passenger, I peeped to see the reaction on the faces of the pilots; tense. Worse still I saw them flipping through the pages of a manual and the contents of the manual were stuff like hydraulic failure, mechanical failure etc. My worst fear was confirmed! thankfully, they found a solution to the problem and 35 mins later, we landed safely at NAF base. In all, it is a beautiful experience.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by segzysexy(m): 10:23pm On Aug 08, 2014
@davide tanx 4 been dere i really aprec8 ur effort on ur response. Actually we r yet 2 write d exam 4 dis batch bt mayb dis comin week we wil b calld. Do u av any info abt d exam mayb its gmat? Aw b very glad if u give me breakthrough on it
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by kissoflife: 10:48pm On Aug 08, 2014
okito: As an Engineer, offshore work is like a dream come true especially on your first visit to the rig or production platform, however as the realities of the associated dangers begin to set in, you ask yourself if this is really what you want to do. Flying to location is just as risky as being on location itself especially when you are drilling an exploratory well and prognosis suggests highly pressured reservoirs. Food is served 5-7am/pm & 11 -1am/pm. ofcourse you have the best of local & continental dishes but after a while you just get tired of the food & become home sick. Working offshore when everything goes well can be boring, it gets interesting when you have a technical challenge to resolve, however you would rather everything goes smoothly (my opinion). Hey! I remember once flying out of location and 10 mins into the flight, the chopper starts acting funny, being the only passenger, I peeped to see the reaction on the faces of the pilots; tense. Worse still I saw them flipping through the pages of a manual and the contents of the manual were stuff like hydraulic failure, mechanical failure etc. My worst fear was confirmed! thankfully, they found a solution to the problem and 35 mins later, we landed safely at NAF base. In all, it is a beautiful experience.
The only person that has been truthful. 1million likes for u!

14 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by bluecard(m): 12:57pm On Aug 09, 2014
Working offshore has its pros and cons. You'll have to work 12 straight hours in a day, but when you are done with your rotation,for most companies,for each day you work ,you earn a day of time off. During the time off,you are free to travel to where ever you want. As a matter of fact you could even live in any part of the world. You would not have to battle with daily traffic associated with rushing to the office every morning as the conventional employees in the office do .But at the end of it,i believe there could be adverse effect on your health if you don't have a work-life balance and if you dont do regular exersices and medical check ups

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Baddo101(m): 9:14pm On Aug 09, 2014
bigtalla:
You sound like have been on ABO FPSO.. Anyway, you forgot to add that there are emergency drills performed on a routine basis (fire, toxic gases, Pirates, man-over board, etc). Also, people (especially first times) tend to develop sea sickness (nausea and vomiting).unfortunately for me, my shift made me miss, Xmas, new year, Easter, anniversaries last year.. But in all, when u see your pay slip, you somehow forget the pains...lol.,. Am a subsea engineer

Baba God. with this lovely experience shared by offshore workers I really wish to work offshore also.
Im an Environmental Technologist. I also have ISPON safety certification. and some other relevant oil and gas shortcourses. i can b reached on salakoakinwale@gmail.com. Thanks.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Baddo101(m): 9:15pm On Aug 09, 2014
Baba God. with this lovely experience shared by offshore workers I really wish to work offshore also.
Im an Environmental Technologist. I also have ISPON safety certification. and some other relevant oil and gas shortcourses. i can b reached on salakoakinwale@gmail.com. Thanks.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by udz: 9:16am On Aug 10, 2014
Good day, am a graduate of Elect/Elect. Eng.
Safety Certificates.
Welding Certificates (SMAW, TIG, FCAW - 1G, 2G, 3G/4G).
I am passionate and want to work offshore. Its a Dream!

I am asking and will appreciate ur assistance.
email: thezorani@gmail.com
Thank you my seniors.

2 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by ikweremilitant: 3:42pm On Aug 10, 2014
bigtalla:
You sound like have been on ABO FPSO.. Anyway, you forgot to add that there are emergency drills performed on a routine basis (fire, toxic gases, Pirates, man-over board, etc). Also, people (especially first times) tend to develop sea sickness (nausea and vomiting).unfortunately for me, my shift made me miss, Xmas, new year, Easter, anniversaries last year.. But in all, when u see your pay slip, you somehow forget the pains...lol.,. Am a subsea engineer
wait wait u guys re geting me confused.i have a friend dat droped out of school.but some how hs father managed to get hm a job wit agip wer he went 4 trianing nd 2dy he works in d ofshore operations wit agip,so hw cm a non enginer is workng their

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by ikweremilitant: 4:40pm On Aug 10, 2014
davide470: Your name speaks the opposite.
pls d recently advertised driling cadet openings by total is it 4 enginering disciplines only or can any apply?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by okito: 7:03pm On Aug 10, 2014
ikweremilitant: wait wait u guys re geting me confused.i have a friend dat droped out of school.but some how hs father managed to get hm a job wit agip wer he went 4 trianing nd 2dy he works in d ofshore operations wit agip,so hw cm a non enginer is workng their

Well it's not only Engrs that work offshore. We have doctors, cooks, cleaners etc. Your friend may be a roustabout (unskilled labourer) or even a community worker, if he comes from an oil producing area.

2 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by initialize(m): 7:35pm On Aug 10, 2014
i like offshore work too

But will they allow me to sell my phones offshore?

Android Phones HQ

6 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by fruityjojo(f): 7:37pm On Aug 10, 2014
rationalmind: Keenly following as the E-lies start grin
grin grin grin
Keenly following eyes roaming for any portable oiyeee bobo.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by eezor: 7:42pm On Aug 10, 2014
i work on offshore platform. ADAX'S RIG precisely. i shuttled between AD10 AND H.L7( High land 7). its interesting anyway, but it is very risky and dangerous. everything is provided for u to be happy wen u r on board. food, satellite tv, internet, recreations, etc. its pretty nice anyway. i love it but wish to stop in the future. tire of flying every now and then. i just need to set up my company and stop in the future.

on the rig very close to cameroon

11 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by iiichidodo: 7:44pm On Aug 10, 2014
Imagine an Ebola outbreak in the middle of nowhere offshore......Or a giant water squid invades a rig and picks off the workers one by one....digesting and drinking their bodily fluids....

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 10, 2014
rationalmind: Keenly following as the E-lies start grin

lmao.. Btw, i work with Total in US.

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by gulfer: 7:45pm On Aug 10, 2014
I have been offshore in a canoe before grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 / Woman Caught Having Sex During Zoom Meeting: Pics & Video / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.