Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here - Career (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here (118680 Views)

Offshore, Oil And Gas Industry - Disaster. / Osun Worker Attempts Suicide Over Unpaid Salary / Do You Want Be To An Offshore Oil Rig Worker? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by dives(m): 5:18am On May 19, 2015
Good day everyone. I have been following this thread for a while and i believe i would be able to get the best advice here. Please my friend and i are looking for internship slots. WE ARE REALLY AFTER THE EXPERIENCE AND AN OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN FROM PROFESSIONAL HANDS AND DO NOT MIND AN UNPAID INTERNSHIP. I am a geologist and he is an engineer. While i am in search of a mudlogger position he is in search of a roustabout position. Having attended seminars and workshops, my friend and i are very familiar with rig operations and are fast learners as well. I strongly believe catching up would not be an issue. Please we need advice on companies we can approach that READILY take interns. Any link to any of these companies would be much appreciated as well. Thank you.
cc beryour, icool, ugsams, justsmile
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by ugsams(m): 6:35am On May 19, 2015
dives:
Good day everyone. I have been following this thread
for a while and i believe i would be able to get the
best advice here. Please my friend and i are looking
for internship slots. WE ARE REALLY AFTER THE
EXPERIENCE AND AN OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN FROM
PROFESSIONAL HANDS AND DO NOT MIND AN
UNPAID INTERNSHIP. I am a geologist and he is an
engineer. While i am in search of a mudlogger position
he is in search of a roustabout position.
Having attended seminars and workshops, my friend
and i are very familiar with rig operations and are fast
learners as well. I strongly believe catching up would
not be an issue.
Please we need advice on companies we can approach
that READILY take interns. Any link to any of these
companies would be much appreciated as well.
Thank you.

cc beryour, icool, ugsams, justsmile

I really wish i could be of help, i don't know much about the industry back home. I got into this industry without any special effort. Over here getting into the industry is not as difficult as it is back home. Good luck and don't ever give up or be discouraged.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Ugochux(m): 1:10pm On May 19, 2015
ugsams:

I really wish i could be of help, i don't know much about the industry back home. I got into this industry without any special effort. Over here getting into the industry is not as difficult as it is back home. Good luck and don't ever give up or be discouraged.

Good day sir.. Sm1 adviced me to get d following certifications since I hv no background engineerin and its alike.. She 1&2 cert, confine space cert and roustabout cert... All dx wl cost me bout 108k..what do u think sir? Will dx certifications land me an offshore job?thnks
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Ugochux(m): 1:10pm On May 19, 2015
ugsams:

Good day sir.. Sm1 adviced me to get d following certifications since I hv no background engineerin and its alike.. Hse 1&2 cert, confine space cert and roustabout cert... All dx wl cost me bout 108k..what do u think sir? Will dx certifications land me an offshore job?thnks
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by iceberg54: 1:34pm On May 19, 2015
ugsams:

Nne e be like say everyone don forsake this thread... Abi they censored Nairaland in their rig's internet facility. I hate all those censorship on our internet but funny enough Nairaland is allowed and it contains a bit of everything.

Boss..some of us are still following religiously o. Na to finish this masters and try enter industry too. Pls let's keep it alive.

By the way, i am planning to do Nebosh soon. Pls can i go for International General Certificate in Occupational Safety and health?....because.i found another one more streamlined to Oil n gas. I just want to know if the first one is also relevant. Thanks.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by justsmile(f): 3:57pm On May 19, 2015
Ugochux:

@justsmile, not just me ooo, some other people too. Thanks for your concern.

my dear, just like you, I'm also looking for a way into this sector proper. I'm only privileged to work as a third party contractor that's why I have this little experience.

I would advice you do the HSE course and get certified. it is easier to get in with it. From the discussions I've had with the guys I met over there, some got in with this even without being Science inclined.

Heard there are other skills one can train in to get into this sector too.

But since you are science inclined, it is even better..... From what I noticed, electrical and mechanical guys are well need.
Years of experience also come to play.
And then, if you have somebody, could be easier. But hey, if you are a believer, then anything is possible.

cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by iceberg54: 4:22pm On May 19, 2015
ugsams:

Bro, hw possible is it to.apply to companies over there. I am almost done with my masters in europe and would be willing to move to the middle east. I have a bsc in chemical engr and my msc is in process systems engineering. I will also do nebosh soon and am doing some online courses to get more familiar with the industry. Kindly advice me sir and i wouldn't mind a link to possible places i could apply to. Thanks a lot sir. Pls note i dont have any offshore experience.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Ugochux(m): 4:42pm On May 19, 2015
justsmile:

my dear, just like you, I'm also looking for a way into this sector proper. I'm only privileged to work as a third party contractor that's why I have this little experience.

I would advice you do the HSE course and get certified. it is easier to get in with it. From the discussions I've had with the guys I met over there, some got in with this even without being Science inclined.

Heard there are other skills one can train in to get into this sector too.

But since you are science inclined, it is even better..... From what I noticed, electrical and mechanical guys are well need.
Years of experience also come to play.
And then, if you have somebody, could be easier. But hey, if you are a believer, then anything is possible.

cheers!

Thanks dear..I rili appreciate.. I cn get doz certifications on or bfr July, by God's grace..its all bout d experience..I don't mind goin in as a volunteer tho..but where? Any suggestions on that??I mean coys..tnx
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Switlife: 4:52pm On May 19, 2015
iceberg54:

Boss..some of us are still following religiously o. Na to finish this masters and try enter industry too. Pls let's keep it alive.

By the way, i am planning to do Nebosh soon. Pls can i go for International General Certificate in Occupational Safety and health?....because.i found another one more streamlined to Oil n gas. I just want to know if the first one is also relevant. Thanks.

It is advisable to do Nebosh IGC before venturing into Nebosh IOG so you understand the foundation.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Switlife: 4:56pm On May 19, 2015
iceberg54:

Bro, hw possible is it to.apply to companies over there. I am almost done with my masters in europe and would be willing to move to the middle east. I have a bsc in chemical engr and my msc is in process systems engineering. I will also do nebosh soon and am doing some online courses to get more familiar with the industry. Kindly advice me sir and i wouldn't mind a link to possible places i could apply to. Thanks a lot sir. Pls note i dont have any offshore experience.

There is an online Oil and Gas course by the Institute of French Petroleum School, supported by Total. Search google for it. You may benefit from the downloadable modules. Cheers.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by ugsams(m): 5:32pm On May 19, 2015
Ugochux:

Good day sir.. Sm1 adviced me to get d following certifications since I hv no background engineerin and its alike.. She 1&2 cert, confine space cert and roustabout cert... All dx wl cost me bout 108k..what do u think sir? Will dx certifications land me an offshore job?thnks

Judging by what i experienced here in the drilling company where i work, there will be no need for all those certifications but from what i hear and read on the internet it should increase your chances of getting the employment. One of my senior colleagues who has experience in Nigeria told me he arrived with a valid BOSIET but yet we met at the training center where we did the course. After that we were all taken to My company's training centre for their induction program. For Rostabouts it's about 6 weeks. We were taught most of those courses in our IADC Rig Pass class. We also had courses like Electric Power Generation all was organized and taken care of by the company. I believe most Oil and Gas company have similar structure.

I'm mostly talking from my little experience here as i had no experience in Nigeria.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by ugsams(m): 5:56pm On May 19, 2015
iceberg54:

You are on the right part bro, i really envy your academic qualifications. I believe with your qualification, information, good personality and God's favour it will be easier for you to break into the industry here.

Before making up your mind to come here, do you really know about this country and region? Can you cope with some of the challenges we have here? UAE is not for everyone especially you that have lived in Europe which is a more western society. However, It has it's own many advantages over other countries, but there are several countries i will choose over living here.

About link to possibly places you can apply to, i created a whatsapp group of about 5 people who are trying to get into the industry here. I give them lead and they follow up with research they also exchange information among each other. Four of the group members are already here, one works as a Safety Officer while the one in Nigeria works as an Engineer. If you will like to be a part of the whatsapp group, notify me and i'll seek their opinion on adding a new member.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Ugochux(m): 6:24pm On May 19, 2015
ugsams:

Judging by what i experienced here in the drilling company where i work, there will be no need for all those certifications but from what i hear and read on the internet it should increase your chances of getting the employment. One of my senior colleagues who has experience in Nigeria told me he arrived with a valid BOSIET but yet we met at the training center where we did the course. After that we were all taken to My company's training centre for their induction program. For Rostabouts it's about 6 weeks. We were taught most of those courses in our IADC Rig Pass class. We also had courses like Electric Power Generation all was organized and taken care of by the company. I believe most Oil and Gas company have similar structure.

I'm mostly talking from my little experience here as i had no experience in Nigeria.

Ok, bro..seems you're my namesake 'Ugochukwu'..lol do you mind adding me to that Whatsapp group, plssssssss..thanks in advance
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by iceberg54: 6:48pm On May 19, 2015
Switlife:

It is advisable to do Nebosh IGC before venturing into Nebosh IOG so you understand the foundation.

Thanks a lot. I will go for the IGC then.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by iceberg54: 6:51pm On May 19, 2015
Switlife:

There is an online Oil and Gas course by the Institute of French Petroleum School, supported by Total. Search google for it. You may benefit from the downloadable modules. Cheers.

I am currently doing the IFP course. In the second week now. Thanks so much.

Kindly notify me if you come across any other one later. I appreciate you reply.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by iceberg54: 6:57pm On May 19, 2015
ugsams:

You are on the right part bro, i really envy your academic qualifications. I believe with your qualification, information, good personality and God's favour it will be easier for you to break into the industry here.

Before making up your mind to come here, do you really know about this country and region? Can you cope with some of the challenges we have here? UAE is not for everyone especially you that have lived in Europe which is a more western society. However, It has it's own many advantages over other countries, but there are several countries i will choose over living here.

About link to possibly places you can apply to, i created a whatsapp group of about 5 people who are trying to get into the industry here. I give them lead and they follow up with research they also exchange information among each other. Four of the group members are already here, one works as a Safety Officer while the one in Nigeria works as an Engineer. If you will like to be a part of the whatsapp group, notify me and i'll seek their opinion on adding a new member.

Bro thanks a lot. I dont mind at all. Even though I live here, I am not the social type and would fit perfectly into a conservative society.

I would like to be a part of the group, I already sent a pm. Please reply. Thanks so much bro.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by justsmile(f): 7:08pm On May 19, 2015
Ugochux:

Thanks dear..I rili appreciate.. I cn get doz certifications on or bfr July, by God's grace..its all bout d experience..I don't mind goin in as a volunteer tho..but where? Any suggestions on that??I mean coys..tnx

oil and gas servicing companies, contractors. Most of these oil companies contract their jobs. That could be a good start for experience if you don't mind the pay.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Switlife: 7:53pm On May 19, 2015
iceberg54:

Kindly notify me if you come across any other one later. I appreciate you reply.

Sure. Warm regards.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 8:13pm On May 19, 2015
@op keep the good work going, when I am free I will be contributing also we will surely get there.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Ugochux(m): 9:15pm On May 19, 2015
justsmile:

oil and gas servicing companies, contractors. Most of these oil companies contract their jobs. That could be a good start for experience if you don't mind the pay.

Thanks fr ur replies so far..can u mention any?I dnt really knw dm..or maybe I shud use "google'
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by dives(m): 9:36pm On May 20, 2015
ugsams:

Thanks a lot sir. I really appreciate your prompt response and willingness to help.

Thank you
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by zeongeon: 12:00am On May 22, 2015
ugsams:

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by kingsley989(m): 6:21pm On May 22, 2015
Greetings to you all. I've been following this thread for months now. I'm a final year Elect/Electt Engr student (Telecom option). Planning on doing CCNA anytime from now. My dream is to be in this field. Please I need your advice and direction on where to start and how to go about it. Thanks and God bless you all.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by StObaino1(m): 5:02am On May 28, 2015
Never been to offshore but hope to have that experience soon. I am a mechanical engineer specialized in rotating equipments. We done a lot of jobs for offshore site though I haven't been lucky to be on the team to go offshore.

I will like to make new friends who are into rotating equipment too. Servicing and repair of pumps, compressors, mechanical seals..
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 9:42am On Jun 02, 2015
nattyhero:
Nice thread, i have been an offshore personnel on and off since 2008, av been on the AKPO FPSO AND USAN FPSO all located in the gulf of Guinea which is regarded as deep offshore. When you work offshore trasversing the sea makes you give God more glory, vast sea, different aquatic creatures. Life onboard can be very regimented, you wake up early make sure u have ur breakfast early most cases before 6am for hookup periods, if u miss d breakfast then u can be recompensed with tea break by 9am. Its a challenging enviroment and you must play by the rules or get booted out. When you eat during meals there are no bosses, be u an engineer, a welder a doctor or the OIM, you must queue for ur meals and when u are done u must thrash d remnants urself. Drills (muster drills, fire drills or pirate drills) can be interesting and very annoying if its late lest say 2am. I do 4/4 weeks and it has helped me slow down on booze, its always fun when u call the family and hear ur kids asking daddy when are u coming back? there is harmony onboard most cases. But the disparity in pay hurts so much, caterers take home pay in some instances are a day's pay for others yet they work their asses off. We eagerly look out for timeoff date with joy but God bless u if chopper doesnt come due to one reason or the other. I sign out by saying 90% of offshore workers are flirts

Good morning dont knw he you can help out, I am a graduate of computer science(2:1) with an Msc in Management of information systems(disitinction), I am pmp certified, ITIL certified, Oracle certified and PRince 2(foundation certified).
IT has always been my long heart desire to work for an oil company, even if it is to start as a contract, as far as the training and exposure will be gained. I have tried so many times, sometimes i get dropped for not scaling through the test other times for some wierd reasons. I strongly desire to end up there, whether IT, drilling, Project management or HSE.

What advice do you have for me, am 27 yrs and age is catching up. I feel very frustrated and unfulfilled being very idle. I have applied and applied but i dont knw what is happening. Are there tips you can share? because i discovered many of these companies dont advertise, particularly for the contract positions. look forward to your response.

Stay blessed.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Wandeayo(m): 3:52pm On Jun 02, 2015
iceberg54:

check this site for your nebosh igc training, they are very reliable
http://soseng.org
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Wandeayo(m): 3:55pm On Jun 02, 2015
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by iceberg54: 7:10am On Jun 03, 2015
Wandeayo:

check this site for your nebosh igc training, they are very reliable
http://soseng.org

Thanks boss!
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by nannymcphee(f): 6:11pm On Jun 24, 2015
Hello house, pls I wanted to know if there are any laws governing how long someone will stay offshore, creek etc

I ask because of my friends husband, he works in an onshore location in one of those remote creeks, he works for 5weeks on & only has 3days as off

Some other companies in that location works for 28days on including Sundays and has only 4days as off

Just imagine leaving your wife & kids for 5 solid weeks just to spend 3days with them!! It's not as though the pay is big o

So are there laws governing this, it's a shell project & he works for one of the contractors
the spdc inspectors do 2wks on 2wks off.

CC:
upengineer
iyiman
bigtalla
davide470
tanimola22
Jarus
xfire
iCool
scantee
Imag5
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Switlife: 11:56am On Jun 25, 2015
Too sad.
Something is not right here.

nannymcphee:
Hello house, pls I wanted to know if there are any laws governing how long someone will stay offshore, creek etc

I ask because of my friends husband, he works in an onshore location in one of those remote creeks, he works for 5weeks on & only has 3days as off

Some other companies in that location works for 28days on including Sundays and has only 4days as off

Just imagine leaving your wife & kids for 5 solid weeks just to spend 3days with them!! It's not as though the pay is big o

So are there laws governing this, it's a shell project & he works for one of the contractors

CC:
upengineer
iyiman
bigtalla
davide470
tanimola22
Jarus
xfire
iCool
scantee
Imag5
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by bigtalla(m): 2:45pm On Jun 25, 2015
nannymcphee:

CC:
upengineer
iyiman
bigtalla
davide470
tanimola22
Jarus
xfire
iCool
scantee
Imag5

Am sorry about your friend's husband situation. The truth is that there is no one overall rule governing how long one stays offshore. There are several scenarios that may determine his stay offshore:

1. Does he work with an International Oil Company (IOC)[b]

Generally, people that work with the IOCs (SNEPCO, Chevron, Agip, Mobil, Total) often do a 2-week rotation if their back-to-back (relief person) is Nigerian. But if your back-to-back is an expatriate its usually a 28 days rotation basis. You generally earn equal number of days you stay offshore as recuperation.. This varies from company to company. Most of their cash comes from their monthly salary and allowances, while they get extra from field/offshore allowances. So, staying offshore too long may not be very beneficial considering their family waiting back at home.

[b]2. Or an Oil Servicing Company?:

Generally, guys that work with Oil servicing companies are called out for specific tasks. The duration of the task may be shorter than 14 days or longer than 28 days. I have seen guys that stay offshore for 3 months on a particular job. It is also, important to note that the huge chunk of their pay comes from field/offshore allowances; and this makes them want to work extra days, even if it means sacrificing their recuperation days. But this is not something one does every shift, especially if he has a family back at home. Also, some companies have manpower issues.

3. If he has a 'unwelcoming' wife back at home:
This may sound strange, but some guys are willing to stay more days offshore rather than going back home to face their unwelcoming wife. Some complain of increased BP whenever they go home. They rather work extra days, send money home to their wives and have peace of mind. They are willing to stay a few extra days offshore without any benefit

4. If he has another wife/gf/family somewhere else:
It is not uncommon for an offshore worker to live a double life.. This is the worst nightmare wives of offshore workers face.. Am sure your friend might be in this this situation. Your friend's husband case is not strange but also not a normal one....

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by nannymcphee(f): 3:55pm On Jun 25, 2015
bigtalla:

I didn't want to quote your entire write up.

He works with a construction company, its actually an epic firm( engineering, procurement, installation & commissioning)

they are building a facility for shell, I think a flow station. it's an ONshore projenct, not offshore but it's in a remote location

So it's not about another wife or girlfriend or bad one for that matter.

For this 5weeks, all he gets is his basic salary plus daily feeding allowance. No insurance nothing nothing.

I think the workers have protested before, they have no union & certain personnels were sacked

Shell couldnt do anything about it since that bothered on the company policy (I don't want to mention the name). That's the explanation shell gave, am sure those guys were compromised

but I know that most construction companies handling various jobs for shell, chevron etc maximum I have heard of is 3wks in, 1week out

So is there any law regulating this or at least that states that if you keep people more than usual, you will have to compensate them

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (26) (Reply)

Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 / Woman Caught Having Sex During Zoom Meeting: Pics & Video / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.