Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,782 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here - Career (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here (118549 Views)

Offshore, Oil And Gas Industry - Disaster. / Osun Worker Attempts Suicide Over Unpaid Salary / Do You Want Be To An Offshore Oil Rig Worker? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by freaknik: 8:16pm On Jun 25, 2015
justsmile:

yea, I agree
hello ma. please I would like to discuss something with you. please how do I contact you. thanks
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by xfire: 9:59pm On Jun 25, 2015
bigtalla:

Am sorry about your friend's husband situation. The truth is that there is no one overall rule governing how long one stays offshore. There are several scenarios that may determine his stay offshore:

1. Does he work with an International Oil Company (IOC)[b]

Generally, people that work with the IOCs (SNEPCO, Chevron, Agip, Mobil, Total) often do a 2-week rotation if their back-to-back (relief person) is Nigerian. But if your back-to-back is an expatriate its usually a 28 days rotation basis. You generally earn equal number of days you stay offshore as recuperation.. This varies from company to company. Most of their cash comes from their monthly salary and allowances, while they get extra from field/offshore allowances. So, staying offshore too long may not be very beneficial considering their family waiting back at home.

[b]2. Or an Oil Servicing Company?:

Generally, guys that work with Oil servicing companies are called out for specific tasks. The duration of the task may be shorter than 14 days or longer than 28 days. I have seen guys that stay offshore for 3 months on a particular job. It is also, important to note that the huge chunk of their pay comes from field/offshore allowances; and this makes them want to work extra days, even if it means sacrificing their recuperation days. But this is not something one does every shift, especially if he has a family back at home. Also, some companies have manpower issues.

3. If he has a 'unwelcoming' wife back at home:
This may sound strange, but some guys are willing to stay more days offshore rather than going back home to face their unwelcoming wife. Some complain of increased BP whenever they go home. They rather work extra days, send money home to their wives and have peace of mind. They are willing to stay a few extra days offshore without any benefit

4. If he has another wife/gf/family somewhere else:
It is not uncommon for an offshore worker to live a double life.. This is the worst nightmare wives of offshore workers face.. Am sure your friend might be in this this situation. Your friend's husband case is not strange but also not a normal one....
hmmm.....perfect response. I will add just one more point.
5. If the working condition is bad: Some companies, specifically local (indigenous) oil servicing firms are notorious for taking advantage of their staffs by using and exploiting them while paying them almost next to nothing. But in most cases, such jobs are project dependent, and the rotation ends when the project is completed.
Unfortunately, I am not aware of any laws guiding offshore work rotation. There may be in the international labour laws. But even if there is, it will be hard to implement or enforce in a developing country like Nigeria where we have a poor justice system. Cases of violation of labour laws are rampant in Nigeria, with little or no penalty.
If his current rotation pattern is not willful (as described in points 3 and 4), his best bet is to either appeal to the organisation to reevaluate his working condition or resign. If he is a member of any union (which I doubt), he can relay his complaints via the union. Unfortunately, the IOCs hardly get involved in contractor's internal affairs except in extremely few cases.

cc: nannymcphee

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by bigtalla(m): 8:44am On Jun 26, 2015
nannymcphee:

I didn't want to quote your entire write up.

He works with a construction company, its actually an epic firm( engineering, procurement, installation & commissioning)

they are building a facility for shell, I think a flow station. it's an ONshore projenct, not offshore but it's in a remote location

So it's not about another wife or girlfriend or bad one for that matter.

For this 5weeks, all he gets is his basic salary plus daily feeding allowance. No insurance nothing nothing.

I think the workers have protested before, they have no union & certain personnels were sacked

Shell couldnt do anything about it since that bothered on the company policy (I don't want to mention the name). That's the explanation shell gave, am sure those guys were compromised

but I know that most construction companies handling various jobs for shell, chevron etc maximum I have heard of is 3wks in, 1week out

So is there any law regulating this or at least that states that if you keep people more than usual, you will have to compensate them

I guess he read the ''Terms and Conditions'' of his employment. If he feels his rights have been breeched, then he can stage a protest. That is why having a union in such companies is very necessary. Its quite unfortunate that we are helpless in situations like this because of unavailability of jobs...
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by sugah: 8:22pm On Jun 26, 2015
Bigtalla what location do you work out of? You look familiar.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by dukum: 8:56pm On Jun 26, 2015
bigtalla:

I guess he read the ''Terms and Conditions'' of his employment. If he feels his rights have been breeched, then he can stage a protest. That is why having a union in such companies is very necessary. Its quite unfortunate that we are helpless in situations like this because of unavailability of jobs...

I sent u a pm bro,do respond.and yes!i know u can't give me a job,am about rounding up a course on subsea engr and i need something like a mentor to ask a few questions.thanks and looking forward to ur response.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by rummmy: 2:23am On Jun 28, 2015
Hello evrybody,I have been waiting to post this on a sunday becouse I belive it is a special day which God touches peoples mind..let me reserve my stories to of job search,frustrations etc to myself. Who is that God sent,kind hearted angel(he or she) that will feel my pains and understand what am passing through and assis me with any kind of job,I don't mind going for a voluntary job so long I will gain the expirience..I am tired of staying at home and time waits for no body.am already been seen as a failure by both my parents and friend but I knew I am not,its just a matter of time. I have a b-tech degree with a H S E certificate(ISPON) and live in port harcourt..my email is brightgeorge1982@yahoo.com..kindly help your brother and God will make u remain happy in your entire life..thank you
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by beryour(m): 11:05am On Jun 28, 2015
I really sympathize with you bro....I understand the point when people around you start seeing you as a failure but that only happens when they are not literate en of to understand the society which we have been unlucky to find ourselves.
You should also note that help comes from no man....I'd bet you will be assisted more by non-humans than human beings.
My advice is, keep applying and keep praying....its gonna come very soon. Actually the job market recently has been very low, even some of us with good experiences that gets offers severally have not got any in a while, and its not just in Nigeria..its world wide. The oil price drop is a big factor in this. Very soon, opportunities will come and you must be ready and prepared to take it. And also, it is a mistake for people to think that they must work in O&G to be rich. Do not restrict your applications, it will assist in getting the experience you will need to merge up with your education/certification and help. Also do not forget, cry unto God....Help comes ONLY from Him.

NOTE: Do not be dismayed by comments or feeling of those around you, same people will celebrate you in no time.

Regards

rummmy:
Hello evrybody,I have been waiting to post this on a sunday becouse I belive it is a special day which God touches peoples mind..let me reserve my stories to of job search,frustrations etc to myself. Who is that God sent,kind hearted angel(he or she) that will feel my pains and understand what am passing through and assis me with any kind of job,I don't mind going for a voluntary job so long I will gain the expirience..I am tired of staying at home and time waits for no body.am already been seen as a failure by both my parents and friend but I knew I am not,its just a matter of time. I have a b-tech degree with a H S E certificate(ISPON) and live in port harcourt..my email is brightgeorge1982@yahoo.com..kindly help your brother and God will make u remain happy in your entire life..thank you

2 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by rummmy: 12:04pm On Jun 28, 2015
Thank you for your advice sir,I hope it will come soon
beryour:
I really sympathize with you bro....I understand the point when people around you start seeing you as a failure but that only happens when they are not literate en of to understand the society which we have been unlucky to find ourselves.
You should also note that help comes from no man....I'd bet you will be assisted more by non-humans than human beings.
My advice is, keep applying and keep praying....its gonna come very soon. Actually the job market recently has been very low, even some of us with good experiences that gets offers severally have not got any in a while, and its not just in Nigeria..its world wide. The oil price drop is a big factor in this. Very soon, opportunities will come and you must be ready and prepared to take it. And also, it is a mistake for people to think that they must work in O&G to be rich. Do not restrict your applications, it will assist in getting the experience you will need to merge up with your education/certification and help. Also do not forget, cry unto God....Help comes ONLY from Him.

NOTE: Do not be dismayed by comments or feeling of those around you, same people will celebrate you in no time.

Regards

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jun 29, 2015
I heard there a case of fire incident at Agip oil offshore facility in Rivers state. If true, hope there were no issues of casualties?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by onodekunelson(m): 3:44pm On Jun 30, 2015
Please I am New here and honestly not a science student,but my family wants me to go to Joe Marine Institute in warri...please i need honest advice as i wish to go into the Oil and Gas sector and at same time work and earn enough to cater for myslef as a novice where can I start from ....also I went through a company called OILTRAIN and saw a coures of 5days Roustabouts and Rig helper and also Introduction to Oil and Gas Career .....Pls i need advice ......
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by wroskian(m): 6:42pm On Jun 30, 2015
iceberg54:

Bro, hw possible is it to.apply to companies over there. I am almost done with my masters in europe and would be willing to move to the middle east. I have a bsc in chemical engr and my msc is in process systems engineering. I will also do nebosh soon and am doing some online courses to get more familiar with the industry. Kindly advice me sir and i wouldn't mind a link to possible places i could apply to. Thanks a lot sir. Pls note i dont have any offshore experience.
Hello Bro, will like to boost my knowledge of the sector, what are the online courses?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by iceberg54: 10:39am On Jul 01, 2015
wroskian:

Hello Bro, will like to boost my knowledge of the sector, what are the online courses?

You can try this for a start. Though it ended already, but i think another batch will be held soon.
http://mooc.oil-and-gas.ifp-school.com/
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by wroskian(m): 11:44am On Jul 01, 2015
iceberg54:

You can try this for a start. Though it ended already, but i think another batch will be held soon.
Done this already, among the first batch this year.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by AyomideS: 9:07pm On Jul 06, 2015
Hello everyone,

Please participate in my survey. Here is an anonymous link to the survey: https://warwickwmg.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8dIAkfJIh3M1QUt

I am an M.Sc. Programme and Project Management student at the University of Warwick. I am conducting research on the types, significance and impact of political behaviours in oil and gas projects in the UK and Nigeria.

I kindly request that anyone and everyone who has worked on any oil and gas project in the UK or Nigeria (in any capacity) participates in this research. All data will be treated anonymously and confidentially, and will be used for the sole purpose of this research. It will only take 4 minutes of your time.

If you don't want to be a part of the research but want to discuss it, please feel free to comment below.
I would like to say a big thank you for participating or for sharing it with others. For more information, contributions, or if you would like a copy of the results, please contact me on a.o.shodipo@warwick.ac.uk.

Kind Regards,
Ayomide
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by staggerman(m): 7:13pm On Jul 15, 2015
rummmy:

Send me pm Bro or bbm message ... Let's talk.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by prixxy7(f): 8:43am On Jul 16, 2015
Goodmorning beautiful people. I believe dis rain dat is falling is a sign of blessing to me. I am an ex corper dat finished service on d 2nd of july 2015. I am in need of a job please. I have dreams of working in an oil and gas firm. I finished from Uniben wit a second class lower in Industrial chemistry. I have been applying for jobs and awaiting positive response. I wil be having my HSE exams on d 31st and 1st of july and august respectively. And I know dat with God all tins ar possible. I don't like been idle. I know dat God can use someone here to be a blessing to me and your source of income will never run dry. I live in lagos. And dis is my email address priscilliaehiabhi@gmail.com thanks in anticipation. God bless you.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Pamelayoung: 5:29pm On Jul 16, 2015
upengineer:
well,
I work on a FPSO in Gulf of Guinea. I am in operations. Ironically, I got the job through an advert I responded to here on Nairaland. Its been three years now flying "chopper" and I have never had any regret whatsoever. The environment is challenging and interesting. Sights of sharks and Dolphins is normal then migratory birds also visit once its their time to migrate. Weather is a low side of offshore particularly when you have dressed up ready to go home after staying away from home for 14days only to be told chopper wont come because of bad weather and you will have to put on your coverall again back to work. Its fun and interesting. Food is also another negative side. You have to wakeup and eat as early as 6:30am. If you are not use to eating early then there will be a problem. In all, no regret working offshore!

Pls I'd like to work offshore too whr can I apply?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by alarm4: 3:18pm On Jul 17, 2015
iceberg54:

ADVICE PLS

Pure And Industrial Chemistry
I have this BSc in Above
I have a JOB opporturnity in an up coming local content Oil and Gas Refinery coy starting up by latest 2018
So I have just 2 years from now till then to gather any cert or maybe you can as well advice the career path which is best for such above BSC course and the career development before kick off start of the refinery
and
Pls i need to know the career prospective to my Course and the Department in refinery that suit my course.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by JSalesAgent: 3:40pm On Jul 17, 2015
Do you often find it difficult shopping online?
Have you found what you need to buy online but can't push through with it because of the shipping fee? I can be of help!
Get a free shipping, fast delivery, and discounts for every order you place on Jumia through me. You don't have to pay before seeing your items. Get your items delivered at your doorstep in any address/location of your choice; and pay on delivery. Pm me or Contact/whatsapp :+2348034879370.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by SAFEGUARD: 1:00pm On Jul 23, 2015

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Temi011(f): 1:00pm On Jul 24, 2015
Hi house, I am a masters student of exploration geophysics (Petroleum option) here in Akure and will like to go on an internship. Please I need your help and link for a good placement. Thanks
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by banismlookin: 9:23pm On Jul 24, 2015
I need a job I am a graduate of computer science with ccna, ccnp(route),project management certificate or a guide Hw to get a job i hv one year of experience has an IT personnel u can contact me whatsapp or call 08184179764 or damoetic3604real@yahoo.com pls help ur broda I beg oooo
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by archiveeng: 3:47pm On Jul 26, 2015
Bro I hail ooo, pls I 'll appreciate if u can assist me in what to do so I can get a job in UAE, I hv some experience in oil n gas. Pls u can send me more details on archive9@Hotmail.com. thanks as I await ur reply.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by mYphhiRes: 3:32pm On Jul 29, 2015
Hello everyone...
I have been following this thread and I enjoy your posts. Would like to be part of the team. I'm a fresh graduate with a 2.1 in Biochemistry, Jehovah's willing I'd be starting my MSc in Environmental Toxicology and Pollution Management sometime in January at Lagos. Please I'd really appreciate any Oil and gas related internship position to give some practical exposure in the field.
May God bless you all. Thanks
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by diggy4real: 4:52pm On Jul 29, 2015
I am a mechanical engineering graduate ☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by diggy4real: 5:31pm On Jul 29, 2015
ugsams:

You are on the right part bro, i really envy your academic qualifications. I believe with your qualification, information, good personality and God's favour it will be easier for you to break into the industry here.

Before making up your mind to come here, do you really know about this country and region? Can you cope with some of the challenges we have here? UAE is not for everyone especially you that have lived in Europe which is a more western society. However, It has it's own many advantages over other countries, but there are several countries i will choose over living here.

About link to possibly places you can apply to, i created a whatsapp group of about 5 people who are trying to get into the industry here. I give them lead and they follow up with research they also exchange information among each other. Four of the group members are already here, one works as a Safety Officer while the one in Nigeria works as an Engineer. If you will like to be a part of the whatsapp group, notify me and i'll seek their opinion on adding a new member.

������������������

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Kassidy4luv(m): 9:00pm On Jul 29, 2015
Good evening please, I need to work in offshore, am interested. Anybody to assist me on how to go about it.( Were to submit my Resume).

Thanks
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by mYphhiRes: 9:40pm On Jul 29, 2015
diggy4real:
I am a mechanical engineering graduate from the university of port Harcourt. I have a professional certification in scaffolding in the supervisory capacity plus HUET certification.Please I need a Job as a scaffolding supervisor; I also have more than 2 years experience as a scaffolding roustabout in escravos onshore.
Email address:ericufomba@gmail.com

Hello... Unique alumni. I finished from Uniport too. smiley
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by diggy4real: 7:13am On Jul 30, 2015
mYphhiRes:

Hello... Unique alumni. I finished from Uniport too. smiley

Great......what year? dept?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by mYphhiRes: 7:48am On Jul 30, 2015
diggy4real:

Great......what year? dept?

Biochemistry. Graduated in 2014..... Currently a batch C corper due to pass out by October. I guess you finished UP a long time ago.... What year was yours?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by diggy4real: 7:57am On Jul 30, 2015
mYphhiRes:

Biochemistry. Graduated in 2014..... Currently a batch C corper due to pass out by October. I guess you finished UP a long time ago.... What year was yours?

2010......is good that you have one eye focused on the labour market while you are still serving.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by mYphhiRes: 8:05am On Jul 30, 2015
diggy4real:

2010......is good that you have one eye focused on the labour market while you are still serving.
Yes the state of the economy mandates it. You must have forgotten about the "Oko's, Briggs and Major's" of those years. Major supervised me for IT. Those lecturers you guys had ehnnnn.... Thumbs up!

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Woman Caught Having Sex During Zoom Meeting: Pics & Video / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone / How To Improve On Your Career With I.T

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.