Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:45 AM

Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here (118683 Views)

Offshore, Oil And Gas Industry - Disaster. / Osun Worker Attempts Suicide Over Unpaid Salary / Do You Want Be To An Offshore Oil Rig Worker? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by top10nigeria(m): 11:08pm On Aug 10, 2014
okzcorp:

LOL. I love Nigerians and I love you man. Not for questioning his age buh for actually picking interest in doing that. Buh he neva claimed he studied electronics Engr. If its OND or a techical qualification in Electronics, then HIS CLAIM CUD BE PLAUSIBLE and renders ur inquiry untenable.

B.Eng actually.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by ikweremilitant: 11:08pm On Aug 10, 2014
d drilling cadet position advertisd by total,is it only 4 engineers?or does it mean other disciplines dont work at rigs?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 11:10pm On Aug 10, 2014
czarchris , I see you dont read deep meanings to posts. I said that because he never needed to have asked such questions on here , did you take a look at the title of the thread and further posts I made .my brother studied microbioogy and works with chevron . that was about 12 years ago. with the competition out there now , you barely can get into the industry without a related degree . it isnt by may be you get mind and yea , I do know majority of offshore workers are ssce holders and technicians because am one. .next time have a real look at the discussion.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by atlwireles: 11:10pm On Aug 10, 2014
dustydee:
Not exactly, but paradise for the lazy. Having said that there are a lot of hard working people there.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Owholomo: 11:12pm On Aug 10, 2014
Just the thread I need.tnx guys for your 1daful contributions so far. I'm a doctor currently serving(nysc) and at dsame time preparing for an oiljob(sickbay).Heard we doctors need to have in addition to other requirements BLS(Basic Life Support) and ACLS(Advanced Cardiac Life support) certificates.Plz how true is dis Info? I hv BLS but yet to get my ACLS certificate.plz doctors currently working offshore shud reach at lumidee2g@yahoo.com. Thanks people.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by dustydee: 11:13pm On Aug 10, 2014
top10nigeria:

I heard the NNPC guys start low and then have huge amounts as pension/gratuity. I remember my boss told me last year his gratuity would be 110million. I think any more than that range would be insane by any company to pay retiring staff. And maybe that's why NNPC is not working. LOL!!!!!!!!!
The pay is small at the beginning but increases as you grow. Used to be minimum of 15% pay rise every year before I left so the more your pay, the more the increase. Then fall into management and their scale is different. The former GMD should be smiling to the bank with around N250m if I'm right. Looks big but when you compare it to his international counterparts, na chicken change. grin
Their pension is still struggling because of the massive payout. You earn slightly more per month when you retire (depending on number of years served) but the difference is you don't enjoy some of the allowances.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by bjbonafide(m): 11:15pm On Aug 10, 2014
Hi all, pls I'm looking for an offshore employment, I studied oil & Gas Management, with specialization in Quality Health safety & Environment (QHSE) at Coventry University UK, I also have NEBOSH & IOSH certifications. If anyone has any info. You may drop me an email on bodesola@gmail.com, cheers.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by ibkgab001: 11:15pm On Aug 10, 2014
would like to know more about this... but i`m afriad of Niger Delta millitant rascals
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by sweetkisses(f): 11:16pm On Aug 10, 2014
udz: Feel good reading ur own part of the thread, i cant say but its just special to me.
And again the 'Deuces'

Loool thanx dear.

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by top10nigeria(m): 11:17pm On Aug 10, 2014
dustydee:
The pay is small at the beginning but increases as you grow. Used to be minimum of 15% pay rise every year before I left so the more your pay, the more the increase. Then fall into management and their scale is different. The former GMD should be smiling to the bank with around N250m if I'm right. Looks big but when you compare it to his international counterparts, na chicken change. grin
Their pension is still struggling because of the massive payout. You earn slightly more per month when you retire (depending on number of years served) but the difference is you don't enjoy some of the allowances.
15% pay rise works considering inflation figures. And yeah I heard pension is same or even more than your previous base salary. isn't that insane? Why would someone retired earn more monthly salary? My Wife invited a friend over for Christmas and he works at NNPC. I was in shock the whole night. Don't know how that salary structure can be sustainable.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by dustydee: 11:17pm On Aug 10, 2014
xfire:

I am not so concerned about his pay package (top10nigeria). Maybe his years of experience dates back to when he started working offshore at the age of 18 (probably started as a technician before gaining an engineering degree). I wouldn't even want to discuss remuneration here.

But I wonder if the 15 years experience is all offshore related. I can't see an engineer working offshore for 15 straight years (only technicians, operators, drilling supervisors, cook, etc. do that). It's almost impossible (for various reasons).

Most engineers in the oil industry don't like working offshore. They will rather work in the office and do a 9-5 job. It's quite hazardous working offshore. The life over there is regimented, and the living condition, though okay, are not as comfortable as a usual home. Many who work offshore are looking for office functions.

Most people who admire offshore jobs know very little about oil and gas industry. Once they get into industry, they get a better picture and prefer office roles.

Cheers..
I agree with you. But it is also a matter of choice. A colleague of mine (a Cameroonian) applied for a technician role in my company because he wanted to go offshore. I tried convincing him not to but the guy no gree.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 11:17pm On Aug 10, 2014
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by udz: 11:19pm On Aug 10, 2014
U're welcome dear. Enjoy the sea breeze. . .
sweetkisses:

Loool thanx dear.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by dustydee: 11:21pm On Aug 10, 2014
top10nigeria:
15% pay rise works considering inflation figures. And yeah I heard pension is same or even more than your previous base salary. isn't that insane? Why would someone retired earn more monthly salary? My Wife invited a friend over for Christmas and he works at NNPC. I was in shock the whole night. Don't know how that salary structure can be sustainable.
They are gradually trying to correct it. Currently if your final pension is higher than current pay, then your pension will be frozen until your salary catches up before they will continue "growing" together again. FG just relinquished its stake in stallion holdings to NNPC pension last week to bridge the pension gap. If there was no intervention, they will become like Nitel pensioners.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by top10nigeria(m): 11:23pm On Aug 10, 2014
dustydee:
I agree with you. But it is also a matter of choice. A colleague of mine (a Cameroonian) applied for a technician role in my company because he wanted to go offshore. I tried convincing him not to but the guy no gree.
NGN50000/day in field allowances amount to 9million naira a year. So some of the field guys look at going to Office/Land as Taking a Pay cut. And Everybody knows the Highest Position that a Nigerian can occupy in these organizations so no point dreaming. Except you plan to make backhand money via contracts, there is really no motivation for going to the office.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by YourCoffin: 11:23pm On Aug 10, 2014
top10nigeria: The good thing about nairaland is you’ll never know me so I can write everything and not worry about my identity.
I work offshore and my Wife works offshore(Sub-sea Engineer). I work 2weeks tour while she works 4weeks tour.
The surest way of working offshore is to graduate first Class Engineering/Geo Sciences. My Wife had a first Class Chemical Engineering and Mine is Electronics. Production Oil companies won’t even invite you for Aptitude test if you do not have a 2-1 that is 4.0 and above. And now we have a lot of Nigerians with masters from UK, so its becoming harder for them to employ people with first degree. Now I am assuming you don’t have connections and your Parents are as broke as mine were when they were sending me to school. So that is one path to working offshore and I will call these people employed directly by the Oil companies as Level 1.
Another path is to be a Technical Non-Pro, eg. Cook, Secretary, medical, laundry, welder, painter, deck hands, etc… To make it easier, I will label this Level 2. Most of these people are on contract so they don’t get same level of compensation.
Eg. The average cook/laundry staff earns 840,000/yr
Average Technical Support eg. Pipe fitter/secretary/Welder etc will earn 4-8million a year
But the level 1 guys earn more.
Eg. Personally I earned a total remuneration of 32million last year and my wife Earned 23million last year. (I work for the majors while my Wife works for a Drilling Company – the majors(Exxonmobil / Total/ Shell / Chevron / Agip) always pay more than the drilling (Schlumberger / Transocean / Halliburton)
So the first thing I want those who want to work offshore to do is decide what type of job they want to do offshore. Do you want to be Level 1 or Level 2?
Personally, I have 15yrs of experience and I work in a production company so I am high paying. I don’t think there is anybody within my team including the 2year olds who earns a TR of less than 20million.
So I will encourage you guys to go back to your books and read them so hard.
For me the best part of working offshore is the 2weeks off. I will not transfer to the office for a 200% increase in wages and maybe its because I started working offshore when I was 18. Plus I work on measurement and control systems, so I don’t do any physical work like my folks in mechanical who have to work on pumps, so I am on the best job in the world right now. Also, the Time off allows me to spend time on my other endeavors and For me that is the best part of working offshore. Note: My Wife hates it, but because I am away half of the time, she is managing the job until she can go back to school for her masters.
I hope this adds a different perspective to the conversation.

Please, I sincerely crave your indulgence on this thread www.nairaland.com/1842345/what-project-managers-discuss-meeting I'll be very grateful if you can provide me a swift and detailed response regarding the questions raised there. Thanks! If you can't comment directly, kindly give me the permission to PM you with my mail address. Thanks again!
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by mkoabiola: 11:25pm On Aug 10, 2014
Everybody wan work for offshore!lol
D question I want to ask.
Is it only engineers dat work offshore?
Wat are d requirement and wat courses.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:28pm On Aug 10, 2014
top10nigeria:

I almost fell off my chair laughing. I have two degrees. One in Electronics and another in IMC. The IMC got me the job and made me spend 2yrs in University to get a Bsc. So what you should do is tell your younger ones to start taking Havard classes from their SS1 http://www.extension.harvard.edu/ With this, they can move faster through the school process.
Ok make I pretend say I understand wetin you talk. By SS1 the only thing on my mind na to knack my trousers and my sqaure face shoe embarassed embarassed embarassed

For the record I HATE the offshore, theres only so much money a person needs. At some point it becomes diminishing returns viz a viz quality of life. But then....
top10nigeria:
NGN50000/day in field allowances amount to 9million naira a year. So some of the field guys look at going to Office/Land as Taking a Pay cut. And Everybody knows the Highest Position that a Nigerian can occupy in these organizations so no point dreaming. Except you plan to make backhand money via contracts, there is really no motivation for going to the office.
Has got to be Total, maybe Exxon, those Mafioso at Agip dare not pay that kain money.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by dustydee: 11:28pm On Aug 10, 2014
top10nigeria:
He said he preferred operations and also the money was a factor. He said he didn't care about title. grin
But I don't know how much they pay the guys here per day offshore. his base would have been GBP 60,000 that's about N16 million.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Wiinnd(m): 11:31pm On Aug 10, 2014
segzysexy: have u been sent any invitation mail ?
was it through mail, they invited you? My Email nor kum dy open again. But even at that, don't u have someone dat works there?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:32pm On Aug 10, 2014
okzcorp:

LOL. I love Nigerians and I love you man. Not for questioning his age buh for actually picking interest in doing that. Buh he neva claimed he studied electronics Engr. If its OND or a techical qualification in Electronics, then HIS CLAIM CUD BE PLAUSIBLE and renders ur inquiry untenable.
Bros, angry angry angry angry Read your constitution 14 years!!!!! no dey love man abeg you. grin grin grin

Err it don marra how many sides you cut the cake what marras is that he started working at the age of 17 to have 15 years experience.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by jamace(m): 11:34pm On Aug 10, 2014
Hi people. Was there briefly on one of those platforms. Hmm. It was a good experience anyway. grin grin
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 11:38pm On Aug 10, 2014
I can imagine, I read chemical engineering go dey sell cement.

God dey. But can I leave my future family for 2 weeks ? Hmmm
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by CzarChris(m): 11:47pm On Aug 10, 2014
majekdom2: czarchris , I see you dont read deep meanings to posts. I said that because he never needed to have asked such questions on here , did you take a look at the title of the thread and further posts I made .my brother studied microbioogy and works with chevron . that was about 12 years ago. with the competition out there now , you barely can get into the industry without a related degree . it isnt by may be you get mind and yea , I do know majority of offshore workers are ssce holders and technicians because am one.next time have a real look at the discussion.
Dude, its good to know that your in the field, what pissed me off was how you sounded so cocky in that comment of yours. Even if what he said didn't land well with you, being polite in your answer to him won't cost you anything or even ignoring him totally was a far better option.
Well that being said I accept your apology no matter how coded you made it sound grin .
True the competition in the industry is really fierce now, so everyone should make the best of whatever their goal in life is.
I left the industry in 2012, and I'm loving my life after the industry. No more unnecessary risk to life(make ND boys come site and ask for the project engineer na den ur eye go open), no more deadlines, no more cramming of 12life saving rules, no more fear of job insecurity, na me bi my oga now. Gaddamn, this is the life. cool

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by bigx(m): 11:52pm On Aug 10, 2014
okparaugo: I can imagine, I read chemical engineering go dey sell cement.

God dey. But can I leave my future family for 2 weeks ? Hmmm

Go de sell your cement o no loose focus, income potential is limitless abi dangote de work offshore?

2 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by stpat1(m): 11:59pm On Aug 10, 2014
ocman: it depends on the type of platform. i guess his is FPSO - it feels the wave most. That is why weight measurements are not always done in FPSO. mine is a piled platform. The turbulent sea waves gives ours a nudge and we do feel it a little not like the FPSo which dances like a raft floating on the denser sima. But it is a very soothing sensation, especially when u wanna sleep at nignt. OMG! u feel like a baby being rocked in a cot.

Which of the FPSO's dances? abi nab tug boat u mean?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by top10nigeria(m): 12:00am On Aug 11, 2014
stpat1:

Which of the FPSO's dances? abi nab tug boat u mean?

LOL! I saw de dance too and I was lol.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by mezebel(f): 12:02am On Aug 11, 2014
ojmaroni247: Plz u guyz should help us dat seek to work offshore,my only issue is swimming test,but heard its nt always neccessary sum companies jst give u a swim pass even if u don't knw hw to swim,moreover de truth is if u get into dat water its only baba God dat can save u,cuz dey say u cnt even swim de water,..life jackets nd safety equipments r provided. Courses like BOSIET,HEUT etc r a big hindrance for us dat can't afford it,tho I hear companies usually foot de bills for the training.
Am a graduate of mechanical engineering nd hav a certificate in electro-mechanical which covers de basics of HVAC,piping system,pumps,compressors,actuators,valves,diesel engine maintenance,H.S.E ...nd so on. I reside in PH,would appreciate if any vacancies in any offshore coy is sent to my email. Big_johniwu@yahoo.ca. Urgently in need of an offshore job,thnkz.
. My fellow dreamer, I dey hail o!
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by xfire: 12:07am On Aug 11, 2014
top10nigeria:
The 15% ish yearly increment was before. Not anymore. Things has changed. Too much focus on remuneration on this thread. I'm not always comfortable discussing that.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by CzarChris(m): 12:08am On Aug 11, 2014
top10nigeria:
This is the major reasons I didn't pursue a contract extension or try to be a full staff, it wasn't worth it. These companies squeeze out your youth when you start clocking 50+ they retire you and that's when you'll need that job the most. Working in those companies are good I'm not stopping anybody from going for it. But honestly in the long run, its not worth it.

My humble opinion though.

2 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by ifyn4real: 12:10am On Aug 11, 2014
top10nigeria: The good thing about nairaland is you’ll never know me so I can write everything and not worry about my identity.
I work offshore and my Wife works offshore(Sub-sea Engineer). I work 2weeks tour while she works 4weeks tour.
The surest way of working offshore is to graduate first Class Engineering/Geo Sciences. My Wife had a first Class Chemical Engineering and Mine is Electronics. Production Oil companies won’t even invite you for Aptitude test if you do not have a 2-1 that is 4.0 and above. And now we have a lot of Nigerians with masters from UK, so its becoming harder for them to employ people with first degree. Now I am assuming you don’t have connections and your Parents are as broke as mine were when they were sending me to school. So that is one path to working offshore and I will call these people employed directly by the Oil companies as Level 1.
Another path is to be a Technical Non-Pro, eg. Cook, Secretary, medical, laundry, welder, painter, deck hands, etc… To make it easier, I will label this Level 2. Most of these people are on contract so they don’t get same level of compensation.
Eg. The average cook/laundry staff earns 840,000/yr
Average Technical Support eg. Pipe fitter/secretary/Welder etc will earn 4-8million a year
But the level 1 guys earn more.
Eg. Personally I earned a total remuneration of 32million last year and my wife Earned 23million last year. (I work for the majors while my Wife works for a Drilling Company – the majors(Exxonmobil / Total/ Shell / Chevron / Agip) always pay more than the drilling (Schlumberger / Transocean / Halliburton)
So the first thing I want those who want to work offshore to do is decide what type of job they want to do offshore. Do you want to be Level 1 or Level 2?
Personally, I have 15yrs of experience and I work in a production company so I am high paying. I don’t think there is anybody within my team including the 2year olds who earns a TR of less than 20million.
So I will encourage you guys to go back to your books and read them so hard.
For me the best part of working offshore is the 2weeks off. I will not transfer to the office for a 200% increase in wages and maybe its because I started working offshore when I was 18. Plus I work on measurement and control systems, so I don’t do any physical work like my folks in mechanical who have to work on pumps, so I am on the best job in the world right now. Also, the Time off allows me to spend time on my other endeavors and For me that is the best part of working offshore. Note: My Wife hates it, but because I am away half of the time, she is managing the job until she can go back to school for her masters.
I hope this adds a different perspective to the conversation.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by okzcorp: 12:14am On Aug 11, 2014
Chrisbenogor:
Bros, angry angry angry angry Read your constitution 14 years!!!!! no dey love man abeg you. grin grin grin

Err it don marra how many sides you cut the cake what marras is that he started working at the age of 17 to have 15 years experience.
NOTED. It was the biblical love am talkin abt. Buh who have you heard had been jailed 14yrs.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (26) (Reply)

Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 / Woman Caught Having Sex During Zoom Meeting: Pics & Video / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.