Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,946 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm (58639 Views)

Why Ogbomosho Is The Best Location To Site Your Farm. / What Do You Give Your Broilers To Grow Faster? / How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 10, 2014
Days to germination: Seedlings are usually purchased
Days to harvest: 4 to 7 years
Light requirements: Full sun
Water requirements: Will tolerate dry conditions
Soil: Fertile and loose
Container: Not really ideal

Introduction
Dates are a very common fruit in the Middle East, and most crops are grown there or in northern Africa. The fruit is grown on a date palm tree, and it should be no surprise that they thrive only in hot dry climates. For North American growers, only zones 9 to 11 would be suitable for date palms. The most common variety is the Medjool date.

They are not the easiest trees to grow and harvest from, but growing your own dates can be a fun challenge if you enjoy trying new fruits in your garden. Just be prepared for a little more work than usual.

Dates are extremely nutritious, and have been an important food source for centuries. They are high in fiber and several B vitamins but low in calories.

Starting your Tree
Date palms are either male or female, and you will need one of each in order to have any fruit. If you want to grow several trees, you can get by with one male and any number of female trees. So when you plan out your locations for date palms, make sure you have room for at least 2 trees.

Because you need a male and female tree, people generally don’t start their trees from seed because you would never know what the gender will be for many years. Purchased seedlings are usually cuttings from an existing palm, so they should be properly labeled by their gender.

Choose a sunny location and plant as you would any other kind of tree, digging a hole large enough to hold the roots. Each tree will grow to more than 50 feet tall, and up to 30 feet across. If that is excessive, try a 10-foot dwarf variety.

As mentioned, you need 2 trees but because you will be pollinating by hand (see more on that in the next section), you don’t necessarily have to plant the trees next to each other if your space doesn’t allow it.

Tree Care
Dates are very slow growing trees, so don’t be discouraged if your trees aren’t doing very much each season. It’s easy to over-water a date palm, which will kill it. Regular rainfall is usually sufficient, unless it’s been dry for a prolonged period of time or your tree is still getting established.

Date palms are not pollinated by insects or birds, but by the wind. With only a few trees, you are taking a risk that nothing will pollinate and therefore will produce no fruit. That means part of your annual gardening routine will have to be hand-pollinating your date trees.

Early each year, the male trees will produce sheaths of pollen. You will have to collect it (it’s just a fine powder) and then dust it over the female flowers once your female trees are in bloom. Ask at the nursery where you get your trees for more details on this. It’s really not a difficult task.

Date palms will grow very long and sharp thorns or spines along its base, so either plant your trees somewhere away from regular walkways or cut the spines off as they grow. It won’t hurt the plant to snip them off.
Once your fruit starts to set, you will want to thin it out by picking some of the smaller fruits before they ripen. Otherwise, you will have a big harvest of tiny dates. It’s not uncommon to take out half or more of the growing dates to get a better final crop.

Pests and Diseases

Most of the insect pests that attack the date palm are not found in North America, so anyone growing dates in America will probably find their trees to be fairly insect-free.
Birds, mice and squirrels can be a problem once the fruit starts to ripen though. Date farmers usually put mesh bags around the strands of dates so they can ripen without being stolen.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jul 10, 2014
Harvest and Storage
You may have to wait until your date palm reaches 4 to 7 years of age before you start to see any fruit development. Dates don’t all ripen at once even within the same cluster of fruit, so you will have to harvest several times during the season. Each palm tree can produce 150 to 200 pounds of fruit each year, once it has matured to full capacity.
The are ripe when brown and soft, though they can be picked while still hard and left to ripe off the tree. If you have problems with birds eating the fruit, this may be a better option. Given the height of the tree, you will need ladders or other equipment to harvest once your palm reaches full size. Dwarf palms are more reasonable in this respect.

Fresh dates can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks, or frozen for up to 4 months. For sweeter (and longer lasting) fruit, you should dry them rather than store fresh.

Before you dry them, you will have to slice each one open to remove the seed or pit. Most people just slice each date in half and dry them in 2 pieces. They can take a long time to dry, and should be dried in a proper dehydrator or the oven. The sun is not a reliable method for such thick fruit. It can take more than 20 hours to dry, and the dates will be soft and leathery when done.

Once dry, you can keep dates at room temperature in an airtight container for 6 months. Store that container in the fridge, and you’re good for a year.[/b][/color]

NOTE : THE DATE PALM TREE CAN ONLY PRODUCE FRUIT IN THE NORTH PART OF NIGERIA ONLY [DESERT LIKE AREA ]
AND ALSO NORTH AFRICA AND MIDDLE EAST

11 Likes

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 10, 2014
DATE PALM TREE

7 Likes

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by kevoneal: 9:58pm On Jul 10, 2014
Wow! Thanks bro for sharing. I never knew the English name for Dabino is Date palm until my 7years old cousin told me, lol! Such a sweet fruit, majorly sold in the Northern part of Nigeria. So it takes this long to mature and produce fruit! Mehn!! Patience is needed for sure.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Tayo114: 6:11am On Jul 11, 2014
nice one, thank u bro

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Nobody: 6:12am On Jul 11, 2014
good

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by pontirock(m): 6:13am On Jul 11, 2014
Quite informative

5 Likes

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by James27: 6:14am On Jul 11, 2014
pontirock: Quite informative
Nice concept OP.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by orlaryhincah(m): 6:15am On Jul 11, 2014
Thanks OP
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by tonyx4x44(m): 6:23am On Jul 11, 2014
see how fresh those in the picture are!!

when i enter market now....
all i see is wrinkle wrinkle wrinkle no matter what,
got fresh ones on my mind i ain't never giving up,
so everytime i steo up to aboki all the fresh ones stand up!!!
and they stay there, and the stay there, and they stay up down up down

8 Likes

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by xage(m): 6:33am On Jul 11, 2014
I started loving date since I was small, but I only get to really enjoy more during Ramadan seasons for breaking my fast..

I later listen to a Tafsir on how much the prophet Muhammad 'saw' loves date, it was his favorite fruit and he recommended date or water for breaking our fast...

I have date in my fridge and also in my office drawer. I just love it more bcoz it was d favorite fruit of the last prophet.

I never knew though it requires this long to grow..the farmers must be considerate given such a low price ..thanks @op

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by chelseabmw(m): 6:46am On Jul 11, 2014
Ok
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Billygee2u: 6:53am On Jul 11, 2014
OP, thanks a lot.no difference between it and palm oil tree
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Abuklaw(m): 6:59am On Jul 11, 2014
Date fruit is one i can't do without everyday for breaking my fast. The rate at which I always consume it at times do make me think there would be side-effect but to my amazement, there is none.

What a wonderful tree. I heard that the longer the fruit stays the better it is.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 11, 2014
I love dabino. I'll try planting one in Anambra and see if it will grow thou most people in the east don't like it because its too sugary.

7 Likes

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Dexpro: 7:32am On Jul 11, 2014
Thanks for the information.
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by abdurrazaq1995: 7:38am On Jul 11, 2014
A nice thread, I Will like to plant one in my. Area to see if it will grow

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by idee91: 7:39am On Jul 11, 2014
The debino wey dey my mosque don pass 17 years... He neva start dey produce o.....

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Gee001: 7:54am On Jul 11, 2014
Too sweet as if Ʊ're chewing sugar mixed with honey at the same time

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by mekuzee1(m): 8:23am On Jul 11, 2014
I can't eat it cus its 2 sweet,,n d aboki selling it ghann...d tin taya me..

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by manosteel(m): 8:24am On Jul 11, 2014
Do you know what, the date fruit is never attacked by bacteria or fungi as a result, the fruits can stay years without rotten or decay. It may look soft and dark but the taste remains the same.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by manosteel(m): 8:28am On Jul 11, 2014
Peppyluv: I love dabino. I'll try planting one in Anambra and see if it will grow thou most people in the east don't like it because its too sugary.
I doubt if it will survive in Rain forest region, date tree likes desert kind of environment. That's why we have everywhere in the Middle East countries.

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by apacheguy: 8:34am On Jul 11, 2014
Now i understand the reason y several dates palm tree planted in several places i know neva bear fruits...with this understanding, i can now have my own tree and have fruits

4 Likes

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Nobody: 8:35am On Jul 11, 2014
I see

manosteel: I doubt if it will survive in Rain forest region, date tree likes desert kind of environment. That's why we have everywhere in the Middle East countries.
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Nobody: 8:50am On Jul 11, 2014
love this fruit, too much process with the trees, no wonder you never find fresh one here in Nigeria .
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Omexonomy: 8:55am On Jul 11, 2014
It will survive in the rain forest regeon due0to the excesive sun and heavy rain.
manosteel: I doubt if it will survive in Rain forest region, date tree likes desert kind of environment. That's why we have everywhere in the Middle East countries.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Omexonomy: 8:57am On Jul 11, 2014
You dey here? As a sign of my love to u i promise to send you a basket full of date
Obiagelli: love this fruit, too much process with the trees, no wonder you never find fresh one here in Nigeria .

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Nobody: 9:07am On Jul 11, 2014
Omexonomy: You dey here? As a sign of my love to u i promise to send you a basket full of date
Lol, i dey wait.
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by numericalguy(m): 9:11am On Jul 11, 2014
Gee001: Too sweet as if Ʊ're chewing sugar mixed with honey at the same time

Hmm... I've never tried eating it like that but I guess it must be very sweet smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by adetonaz(m): 9:37am On Jul 11, 2014
idee91: The debino wey dey my mosque don pass 17 years... He neva start dey produce o.....
maybe that's because there is only one in your mosque and as the ope said u need both male and female for it to produce fruit. Yours might be male or female

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Nobody: 10:46am On Jul 11, 2014
adetonaz: maybe that's because there is only one in your mosque and as the ope said u need both male and female for it to produce fruit. Yours might be male or female
dat one dey barren

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Nobody: 10:47am On Jul 11, 2014
@OP, please how can I make it grow and survive at imo state. I love that thing die, I spend too much at enugu buying them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Farming Business Tips That Will Speed Up Your Rate Of Success / Total Cost Required To Start A New Poultry Farm(pics) / See The Grasscutter I Caught Today In The Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.