Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,452 members, 7,808,609 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. - Forum Games (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Forum Games / Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. (29030 Views)

Brain Puzzles, Riddles & Teasers / Picture Puzzles To Keep Your Eyes & Brain Active / The Logic Games, Riddles And Puzzles Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. by lobell: 10:55am On Jul 16, 2014
MoyoGENERAL: good morning guys,,having waited more than 36 hours after posting puzzle 2, I feel its time to give up the answer and explanation...so we won't wait till eternity for the first 8 person....

Alice.....Beth.....Christy......Deborah.....Edith
Alice. 0...........1............1...............1................1
Beth. 4............0...........0..............0.................0
Christy. 0............0............0..............1................3
Deborah. 0............2...........2...............0................0
Edith. 0............1...........1...............2................0

This can be solved perfectly with a grid...
We are going to fill the grids with the number of books given to and received by each sister
i assumed that names at the left means "gives" and names at the top means receive"
....eg. ColumnBA reads beth gives 4 books to alice.etc
We can see that Alice already has 4 from beth, so no other sister gave her any, so we can put zero in the rest of the column and rows of beth
We notice that one sister gave one book to each of her sisters, that sisters had to be Alice, because no other sister can give alice extra books cos she has 4 already...so we fill the remaining rows for Alice with 1...
Next check the column of edith, edith has now received 1 extra from alice with the 3 from christy to make 4... Therefore we fill the rest column with zero.....

Next, you will observe that deborah must receive 3 more books to make 4 so that we will fill up the column,,,at this point, deborah has only 3 people possible to give her 3books altogether( christy, deborah and edith)..but deborah cannot receive book from herself, so the only possible option is to receive books from christy and edith, however, christy has only 1 book left to give, therefore she gives 1 to deborah and Edith must give 2 to deborah to complete her 4.
...After filling the remaining columns of deborah, you can now fill the remaining rows of christy cos she has given out her 4 books....
Seeing the table at this point, you will be able to deduce that deborah was the sister that gave 2 books each to two of her sisters, so we fill the remaining two rows of Deborah with 2
At this junction, we are left with the remaning rows of edith, which obviously will be filled with 1 each to make 4

NB.. Please ensure you prepare an empty grid and follow the steps above...

So the final answer is...
Deborah will receive:
1 book from Alice,
1 book from Christy, and
2 books from Edith..
Note deborah cannot receive 2 books from Alice and 1 from Edith, cos if that happens then edith will be giving a book to herself which is absolutely impossible...

You're right! There's only one solution. I didn't use a grid to solve first time.
Re: Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. by ChukChinCol(m): 7:43pm On Jul 17, 2014
tos4u: My guy am 100 percent right, see wen u pick out d 2 black marble look for d label on anoda box and put it on d d box which contain d 2 black marble, den instead of puttin d first label on d one u latter remove, jus interrchange on the one u never removed d label and put tht label on d secon label u latter removed, withot opening d other boxes,
like i say u only need 2 marbles to determine them, thanks
Am a mathematicians so i advice u check my xplainatn again
.Yeah I think I can see sense in it, but op said the answer is 1...?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. by tos4u(m): 8:06pm On Jul 17, 2014
Tht u knw an answer to a puzzle does not mean others dont have beta answer, jus follow my simple inteli-analysis and see how quick n easy u get d answer. Thnks
ChukChinCol: .Yeah I think I can see sense in it, but op said the answer is 1...?
Re: Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 17, 2014
tos4u: Tht u knw an answer to a puzzle does not mean others dont have beta answer, jus follow my simple inteli-analysis and see how quick n easy u get d answer. Thnks

A better answer? Is it less than 1?
Re: Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 17, 2014
MoyoGENERAL, no vex o

Give us anoda
Re: Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. by MoyoGENERAL: 4:34pm On Jul 18, 2014
winners of puzzle 2

missmeiya......8 POINTS
mobbdeep......7 POINTS
...and who?

LOBELL, SAINTNEO, YOU GUYS WERE WRONG......

SO TIME FOR PUZZLE THREE
Re: Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. by MoyoGENERAL: 4:35pm On Jul 18, 2014
PUZZLE THREE;

Mr and Mrs smith and their two children form a typical american family. If exactly two of the following statements are true, what is the first name of the father, mother son and daughter....
Statement 1: George and Dorothy are blood relative
Statement 2: Howard is Older than George
Statement 3: Virginia is younger than Howard
Statement 4: Virginia is Older than Dorothy

time to solve guys......roll in the answers
Re: Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. by saintneo(m): 4:55pm On Jul 18, 2014
MoyoGENERAL: PUZZLE THREE;

Mr and Mrs smith and their two children form a typical american family. If exactly two of the following statements are true, what is the first name of the father, mother son and daughter....

Two adults, two kids, thus no case of oldman-younggirl union.
Assuming Howard and George to be masculine and Dorothy and Virginia to be feminine.

Since Howard is the oldest, then Howard is the father.
Also, since Virginia is older than Dorothy, then Virginia is the mother.
This lives us with George the son and Dorothy the daughter.

However, in another news, Howard is the father, Virginia is his daughter from a previous marriage. Dorothy is the new fine little sexy wife......now mother and Dorothy just had a son George........disclaimer: the second answer is just from Jupiter.
Re: Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 18, 2014

In progress!

I'm a programmer. Which means I'm lazy. Which means I'm going to recycle code. Which means, another chart!

+ - - + - - + - - + - - +
| | | | V |
| | | D | i |
| G | H | o | r |
| e | o | r | g |
| o | w | o | i |
| r | a | t | n |
| g | r | h | i |
| e | d | y | a |
+- - - - - - + - - + - - + - - + - - +
| Mr. Smith | ○ | ○ | ○ | ○ |
| Mrs. Smith | ○ | ○ | ○ | ○ |
| Son | ○ | ○ | ○ | ○ |
| Daughter | ○ | ○ | ○ | ○ |

Re: Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. by lobell: 8:02pm On Jul 18, 2014
Statement 1 True - George is Blood related to Dorothy (Father / Daughter)
Statement 2 - False - Howard is not older than George
Staement 3 - False - Virginia is not younger than Howard.
Statement 4 - True - Virginia is older than Dorothy.

Father is George
Mother is Virginia
Son is Howard
Daugther is Dorothy

Fingers crossed!
Re: Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. by MOBBDEEP: 8:18pm On Jul 18, 2014
Statement 1 and 3 are the likely true facts applicable to an ideal American family:
*Dorothy & George are siblings with Dorothy ( classic American feminine name) being the daughter and George ( equally classic masculine name) being the son.
*Traditional American couple sees more acceptable, though not exclusively, the husband as being more older than the wife.Hence, Howard is the father's 1st name while Virginia is the wife's 1st name too.
Re: Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. by InesQor(m): 11:22pm On Jul 18, 2014

Statement 1 is either True or False. Only 2 of the statements are true, and only 2 are false.

Case A: Statement 1 is True and George is Father, Dorothy Daughter. This means Virginia is Mother and Howard son. Thus Statement 2 is False. Also false is statement 3, while statement 4 would be true. Case A is feasible.

Case B: Statement 1 is True, and George is Son, Dorothy Mother. This makes Virginia Daughter and Howard Father. Thus Statement 4 is False. But statements 2 and 3 would be true in a typical family, which makes 3 True statements. Case B is not feasible.

Case C: Statement 1 is False. This means George is Father and Dorothy is Mother, as they are not related by blood. This makes Virginia Daughter and Howard Son. Statement 2 is also False then. Statement 3 is inconclusive; we cannot tell who is the older child. However statement 4 is certainly false, which makes 3 False statements. Case C is not feasible.

The only feasible case is Case A.

Therefore, their first names and family designations are:

George : Father
Virginia: Mother
Howard: Son
Dorothy: Daughter
Re: Believe Me, This Is Going To Make You Sweat!.the Best Of Puzzles. by InesQor(m): 11:24pm On Jul 18, 2014
My solution above rightly assumes the children are not adopted and are not from any earlier marriages, without which assumption the riddle is trivial and unsolvable. cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Let Us Set World Record For Counting 1-100,000,000,000 / Can You Name All The Wrestlers In This Drawing? / Whats Your Score ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.