Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,503 members, 7,781,535 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:25 PM

Crab Mentality - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Crab Mentality (15663 Views)

5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria / Some Annoying Nigerian Mentality / Nigerians And 'rankadede' Mentality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crab Mentality by zboyd: 10:44pm On Jul 12, 2014
Why Do Some Of Us Envy The Success Of Our Own People?
By Silva Umosen

Why is it that when anyone mentions the term “crabs-in-a-barrel” it is almost ALWAYS in reference to Black/African people?

This term has is defined in the Urban Dictionary as follows:

A syndrome where a group of like situated people hurt those in their community attempting to get ahead. Often this is applied to people in an impoverished community where one person is starting to get ahead. The collective community becomes jealous or filled with a sense of self-loathing, so they find a way to pull that person back down to the community’s level. When harvesting crab, the crab as a group will pull down any crab that starts to climb out of the barrel in an attempt to be the first out of the barrel that holds them in, hence crabs-in-a-barrel.

Why do some of us envy another's success?

4 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by Onlinebizexpert(m): 10:49pm On Jul 12, 2014
Re: Crab Mentality by pickabeau1: 10:56pm On Jul 12, 2014
And this trait is only found among blacks.. undecided

I guess Betrayal, backstabbing and selfishness are all black/african words..

14 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by zboyd: 11:21pm On Jul 12, 2014
When anyone mentions the term “crabs-in-a-barrel” it IS almost always in reference to Black/African people.

However, this mentality CAN be found among almost all ethnicities - not just Black/African people.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crab Mentality by pickabeau1: 11:23pm On Jul 12, 2014
So you admit you use a discriminatory term on a website where africans frequent.. further reinforcing the use of such a steupid word

bigoted much?

zboyd: When anyone mentions the term “crabs-in-a-barrel” it IS almost always in reference to Black/African people.
However, this mentality CAN be found among almost all ethnicities - not just Black/African people.

9 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by zboyd: 12:02am On Jul 13, 2014
pickabeau1: So you admit you use a discriminatory term on a website where africans frequent.. further reinforcing the use of such a steupid word

bigoted much?

I don't do bigotry.

I do observe human behavior...and I have always noticed the 'crab mentality' within the Afram community. What's interesting is the presence of this same mentality among immigrants, especially African and West Indian immigrants. 'Crab Mentality' is a personality disorder. Discussing it is not being discriminatory. It is an acknowledgement that it indeed exists.

BTW...SOME Africans have no problem using discriminatory terms (Akata, Yard Monkey) on a website where Aframs, West Indians and other people of color frequent online...not within a discussion...but as a racial slur...so what are you on about?

13 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by pickabeau1: 12:07am On Jul 13, 2014
ok... carry on your human behaviour

you say something is universal yet u want to find it in the black community..

and u r not discriminatory.. afterall its here we hear whitemen dont cheat

7 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by Fulaman198(m): 6:25am On Jul 13, 2014
pickabeau1: ok... carry on your human behaviour

you say something is universal yet u want to find it in the black community..

and u r not discriminatory.. afterall its here we hear whitemen dont cheat

Wow who said that? Next time some stupid most likely woman opens her mouth to say that, please let me know.
Re: Crab Mentality by kbshow100(m): 7:05am On Jul 13, 2014
How that one take concern me??
Re: Crab Mentality by adexsimply(m): 7:09am On Jul 13, 2014
I think the "crabs-in-a-barrel" saying is grossly misinterpreted. To me, it's synonymous to survival of the fittest
the crab as a group will pull down any crab that starts to climb out of the barrel in an attempt to be the first out of the barrel that holds them in
Why would you blame something that's trying to get an handhold ?

[size=1pt]No insult me o, I just dey wake up[/size]
Re: Crab Mentality by Guykhena(m): 7:13am On Jul 13, 2014
*Sighs*
Re: Crab Mentality by Alexk2(m): 7:14am On Jul 13, 2014
owk.
happy sunday to you all...
Re: Crab Mentality by tosingcfr(m): 7:14am On Jul 13, 2014
It cuts across all tribes and nations. I think this is due to megalothymia-the need to be recognised as
superior to others. Hence, many do not want others to be superior to them. However, it takes the grace of God to overcome the crab mentality

2 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by femi4: 7:17am On Jul 13, 2014
adexsimply: I think the "crabs-in-a-barrel" saying is grossly misinterpreted. To me, it's synonymous to survival of the fittest

Why would you blame something that's trying to get an handhold ?

[size=1pt]No insult me o, I just dey wake up[/size]
Your description fits too.
You can have more than one interpretation for a given scenario

Remember that the cup can either be half-full or half-empty
Re: Crab Mentality by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:22am On Jul 13, 2014
Ask the ijebus
Re: Crab Mentality by Hermanie(m): 7:23am On Jul 13, 2014
I no get anything to say but make e be say i follow comment. Afterall my mates den they comment too.

1 Like

Re: Crab Mentality by decode55(m): 7:26am On Jul 13, 2014
I came here to read comments wink
Re: Crab Mentality by Aromas: 7:31am On Jul 13, 2014
decode55: I came here to read comments wink
Re: Crab Mentality by elected(m): 7:37am On Jul 13, 2014
The white ppl do this too. Why do you think America try to instigate ppl to kill themselves? Particularly, countries that refused coming to beg for their aids. Try to show a white colleagues how better you are than him at work and see how you will be sent away in a short time. But in Africa, the magnitude of respect given to successful people that drags people into trying see themselves as gods, is most times the reason people want to drag ppl down .Is too difficult to live in the same community with people of lower class . don't get me wrong, but the reason is what we have discussed above.

3 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 13, 2014
Ask the ijebus
WTF do you mean??

I believe you are losing it gradually.

Mtshwww!!

3 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 13, 2014
1. Laziness is the major contributor to crab mentality. If you are very busy, you won't notice..

2. Poverty is the second major contributor to it. State of squalor and you don't want anyone around better off.

3. Wickedness is third. Why would you determine, monitor or trap another person's success ?

8 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by 80million1: 7:40am On Jul 13, 2014
That is the way life is Naturally, that's how we grow up as human beings. YOU NOW NEED TO TRANSFORM YOUR THINKING, RENEW YOUR MIND, AND MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR OWN LIFE!

1 Like

Re: Crab Mentality by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 13, 2014
80million1: That is the way life is.

You mean placing people in your box ?
Re: Crab Mentality by 80million1: 7:42am On Jul 13, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: Ask the ijebus
I pity u!

4 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by victorazy(m): 7:46am On Jul 13, 2014
pickabeau1: And this trait is only found among blacks.. undecided

I guess Betrayal, backstabbing and selfishness are all black/african words..

You mean yoruba people, Ijebu? undecided
Re: Crab Mentality by 80million1: 7:48am On Jul 13, 2014
okparaugo:

You mean placing people in your box ?

It's completed, please check again.
Re: Crab Mentality by REMMEI(m): 7:48am On Jul 13, 2014
What if these crabs aren't in a barrel?..what if they are in their respective holes?..ok!. . Imagine you are in a congested mall..filled with people..and somewhere very close to the mall you hear a loud explosion..now bring your "crabs in the barrel" to this..will people queue up to walk out or be climbing each others head just to be safe?..either you called this a personality behaviour among the black race or not..just know it's never limited to some set of people but everyone that walk the surface of this earth.

4 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by millionboi(m): 7:49am On Jul 13, 2014
[color=#990000][/color]Wat causes it is Fon fonjuakpa.....it sims u r highly involve @ OP
Re: Crab Mentality by kingboy(m): 7:53am On Jul 13, 2014
It's just share greed and deep hatred and laziness (he met me in the barrel and want to climb out before me embarassed).one of my favorite song its a song by Terry g 'aye po gan' meaning there is enough space for everyone to survive like the bird.
Practically you don't have to cover crabs on the barrel because this mentality.....God help the black race

1 Like

Re: Crab Mentality by flowjoe: 7:55am On Jul 13, 2014
Phd - pull him down

1 Like

Re: Crab Mentality by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:55am On Jul 13, 2014
In-ability to see beyond that envy period.
Lack of ambition coupled with in-ability to think that they can succeed legally by not pulling others down.
Last Bullet
After graduation from the university, most of my friends are working with big companies. I didn't envy them. Instead I looked for what I could do to get money, do business & live fine.
How I get money presently is a mystery to most friends.
They always try to ask me the same question all the time. Where are you working?
After telling them severally that am self employed graphic artist.
My own ability to think of how to get my own success pulled me out of crab mentality!

5 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by pelvicky(m): 8:00am On Jul 13, 2014
hmmmm...
Don't wanna say sumtn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Funny Names Zambian And Namibian Parents Give Their Children (photos) / Th / Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.