Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Crab Mentality - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Crab Mentality (15694 Views)

5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria / Some Annoying Nigerian Mentality / Nigerians And 'rankadede' Mentality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crab Mentality by Idrismusty97(m): 8:03am On Jul 13, 2014
pickabeau1: And this trait is only found among blacks.. undecided

I guess Betrayal, backstabbing and selfishness are all black/african words..
Re: Crab Mentality by LarrySun(m): 8:04am On Jul 13, 2014
The trait is found not only in Africa but all around the world. Did even Cain not envy his brother? Would you say Cain was an African?

The post is somehow porous.

4 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by Akshow: 8:04am On Jul 13, 2014
victorazy:

You mean yoruba people, Ijebu? undecided
When u go ever get sense
Re: Crab Mentality by darne(m): 8:04am On Jul 13, 2014
Hmmmmmm I dont think this is limited to Blacks/Africans tongue tongue undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Crab Mentality by Mmaria: 8:07am On Jul 13, 2014
OkikiOluwa1: In-ability to see beyond that envy period.
Lack of ambition coupled with in-ability to think that they can succeed legally by not pulling others down.
Last Bullet
Most of my friends are working with big company. I didn't envy them. Instead I looked for what I could do to get money, do business & live fine.
How I get money presently is a mystery to most friends.
They always try to ask me the same question all the time. Where are you working?
After telling them severally that am self employed graphic artist.
My own ability to think of how to get my own success pulled me out of crab mentality!
Seconded
Re: Crab Mentality by victorazy(m): 8:17am On Jul 13, 2014
Akshow: When u go ever get

Na lie? grin
Re: Crab Mentality by Vansnickers: 8:38am On Jul 13, 2014
Lol@this Ediot.

Africans are not the only people like this.

2 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by Gynacologist(m): 8:40am On Jul 13, 2014
adexsimply: I think the "crabs-in-a-barrel" saying is grossly misinterpreted. To me, it's synonymous to survival of the fittest i totaly agree wif yah

Why would you blame something that's trying to get an handhold ?

[size=1pt]No insult me o, I just dey wake up[/size]
Re: Crab Mentality by Donkunxex(m): 8:43am On Jul 13, 2014
The crab mentality has always been in the all ar0und d world and wil neva go.... Learnt dat fr0m the b00nd0ckz..
The crab mentally z just about 'survival of the fittest'..the crab be like 'if i'm gonna die.you gonna die too'.
Re: Crab Mentality by Gynacologist(m): 8:46am On Jul 13, 2014
80million1: That is the way life is Naturally, that's how we grow up as human beings. YOU NOW NEED TO TRANSFORM YOUR THINKING, RENEW YOUR MIND, AND MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR OWN LIFE!
on ponit....everi human hv an element of crab ish itz left fo d pason to work on em....
Re: Crab Mentality by Gynacologist(m): 8:48am On Jul 13, 2014
REMMEI: What if these crabs aren't in a barrel?..what if they are in their respective holes?..ok!. . Imagine you are in a congested mall..filled with people..and somewhere very close to the mall you hear a loud explosion..now bring your "crabs in the barrel" to this..will people queue up to walk out or be climbing each others head just to be safe?..either you called this a personality behaviour among the black race or not..just know it's never limited to some set of people but everyone that walk the surface of this earth.
genarslizatn is d highest form of ignorance
Re: Crab Mentality by Gynacologist(m): 8:56am On Jul 13, 2014
OkikiOluwa1: In-ability to see beyond that envy period.
Lack of ambition coupled with in-ability to think that they can succeed legally by not pulling others down.
Last Bullet
After graduation from the university, most of my friends are working with big companies. I didn't envy them. Instead I looked for what I could do to get money, do business & live fine.
How I get money presently is a mystery to most friends.
They always try to ask me the same question all the time. Where are you working?
After telling them severally that am self employed graphic artist.
My own ability to think of how to get my own success pulled me out of crab mentality!
i lyk man nice story
Re: Crab Mentality by 2scorehigh(m): 9:21am On Jul 13, 2014
Methinks that mentality is inherent in human behavior. It takes a consciously self-aware human being to live above it.

Certain things we do can inadvertently trigger that mentality in others thus infusing that feeling of jealousy and envy in them, most especially when our 'success' exposes their own insecurities or incapabilities.

As a palliative measure to guard against experiencing the terrible effects of the crab mentality, I put forward the following suggestions.

1. Be humble.
2. Be generous.
3. Never outshine the master.
4. Don't act perfect all the time. Show your human side.
5. Live and let live.

6 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by Akshow: 9:55am On Jul 13, 2014
victorazy:

Na lie? grin
victorazy, ur brain razy too
Re: Crab Mentality by ogbronx(m): 9:57am On Jul 13, 2014
I guess the writers and producers of the series "boondocks" could enlighten us more. The series is dedicated to using humour in educating the black race on this crab mentality thing. There is even an episode that clearly animated crabs in a basket as a blackman was trying to explain to another the fundamental flaws of the black race.
Some peeps here in nairaland see it as only envy or jealousy. It goes beyond that. Its a collective mentality that kills ingenuity and growth. Its not just the envy of someone's success as most of you put it. Its crab mentality that makes you attain some level of financial,position, and political success and can't stand someone else trying to reach there.
Its deep and has long been the bane of the black race.
@ op, good and interesting topic. This should educate some of use instead of PDP and APC nonsense. In fact, both parties are filled with pple of this negative mentality.

3 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by DeepSight(m): 10:12am On Jul 13, 2014
Hahahahahaha. Interesting topic. There are different ways to see the crabs issue.

1. We are all in a mess. Why are you trying to leave us here in this mess? No way. Come back down here and stay with us, you selfish dolt.

2. We are all in a mess. We see you trying to climb out of this mess. We jump onto your coat tails so we can all go together. We are to heavy on your coat tails and so you fall back into the mess.

3. We are all in a mess. I see you climbing out of the mess. Wow. I should observe you and how you did it. If you could do it, I could do it too.

Pick your choice.

3 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by GoodBoi1(m): 10:27am On Jul 13, 2014
If you pray for those you envy the way you pray for yourself (wishing them blessings and success) , the feelings of envy will go away. Overcome evil with good. #OperatingInLove

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crab Mentality by Revolva(m): 10:43am On Jul 13, 2014
The same kind of behaviour you get when you start progressing ...well its in all of us ....no body wanna be lft behind everybody gat feelings
Re: Crab Mentality by Swiftboy(m): 10:51am On Jul 13, 2014
Crab mentality is childish to say the least! I mean it does not make sense to pull others down just cos they're rising...individual should try to catch a niche instead of backstabing.

1 Like

Re: Crab Mentality by pickabeau1: 10:53am On Jul 13, 2014
Fulaman198:

Wow who said that? Next time some stupid most likely woman opens her mouth to say that, please let me know.

Its a very popular comment made here especially by females who should know better...those in diaspora
To these people anything white is divine

1 Like

Re: Crab Mentality by logica(m): 11:19am On Jul 13, 2014
adexsimply: I think the "crabs-in-a-barrel" saying is grossly misinterpreted. To me, it's synonymous to survival of the fittest

Why would you blame something that's trying to get an handhold ?

[size=1pt]No insult me o, I just dey wake up[/size]
Correct. "Crabs-in-a-barrel" is about survival. Direct competition. Now, there is a different scenario where people who are not in direct competition with you start "competing" with you (and you may even be completely oblivious to any such competition). That has been explained by someone already; and attributable to megalothymia.

1 Like

Re: Crab Mentality by pickabeau1: 11:21am On Jul 13, 2014
logica: Correct. "Crabs-in-a-barrel" is about survival. Direct competition. Now, there is a different scenario where people who are not in direct competition with you start "competing" with you. That has been explained by someone already; and attributable to megalothymia.

This..
Donkunxex: The crab mentality has always been in the all ar0und d world and wil neva go.... Learnt dat fr0m the b00nd0ckz..
The crab mentally z just about 'survival of the fittest'..the crab be like 'if i'm gonna die.you gonna die too'.
....and this....
Re: Crab Mentality by crestime(m): 11:31am On Jul 13, 2014
Inferiority complex + fear of loneliness + fear of intimidation = crab mentality
Re: Crab Mentality by angela98(f): 11:37am On Jul 13, 2014
Its in the human nature. Others trying to pull people down or destroy peoples success as been a thing of existence since God created humans. Its part of life, its part of who we are. Wisdom and humility is the key to excel and break free. If you like, pray and fast 24/7 and you didn't apply wisdom to do things. You will still remain in the dark. Here are some valuable tips.

Asked questions if you don't know what to do

Dont be an over Sabi, or I too know. You Dont have all the knowledge.

Dont be too hasty to trust people or judge people. Get to know them first.

Don't show off your wealth, keep discreet about your plans or success ideas. Disclose it to the right people on a need to know basis.

Do not build a castle in a slum.

Keep life simple.

5 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by whitecat007: 11:39am On Jul 13, 2014
So what do you want to be called when most of you have said you are not African-Americans? Yard monkeys I've not heard but, akata is fair as only the slave descendants who didn't return are called akata because Nigerian-Americans are technically African-Americans or Black-Americans. Akata is not a racial slur, I grew up hearing it from even my maternal side of the family whose matriarch at one point was a slave returnee.

zboyd:

I don't do bigotry.

I do observe human behavior...and I have always noticed the 'crab mentality' within the Afram community. What's interesting is the presence of this same mentality among immigrants, especially African and West Indian immigrants. 'Crab Mentality' is a personality disorder. Discussing it is not being discriminatory. It is an acknowledgement that it indeed exists.

BTW...SOME Africans have no problem using discriminatory terms (Akata, Yard Monkey) on a website where Aframs, West Indians and other people of color frequent online...not within a discussion...but as a racial slur...so what are you on about?

1 Like

Re: Crab Mentality by logica(m): 11:46am On Jul 13, 2014
angela98: Its in the human nature. Others trying to pull people down or destroy peoples success as been a thing of existence since God created humans.
Keep life simple.
It seems people don't know the difference between human nature and a personality disorder. If it is indeed human nature, I would feel the urge to want to bring down every more successful person I come in contact with (except of course you consider the possibility that I am not human). But I never feel that urge. Those who feel this urge are suffering from a mental/personality disorder. Somebody described it as "megalothymia".

And once again, "survival of the fittest" is quite different. As in, if we both are competing for a contract and I win the contract, that is direct competition. Nobody is bringing the other down in this scenario. But if I win the contract and have plenty of money to throw around, then some random monkey starts beefing me, then that is indeed a mental/personality disorder.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Crab Mentality by whitecat007: 12:00pm On Jul 13, 2014
It's human nature but, we Blacks have taken it to a different level. We sell ourselves to other races for as little as 5mins of gossip or a paper cup, no other race does that, they protect themselves against us.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crab Mentality by angela98(f): 12:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
logica: It seems people don't know the difference between human nature and a personality disorder. If it is indeed human nature, I would feel the urge to want to bring down every more successful person I come in contact with (except of course you consider the possibility that I am not human). But I never feel that urge. Those who feel this urge are suffering from a mental/personality disorder. Somebody described it as "megalothymia".
you are correct to an extent but I will argue with you that everyone cannot be successful. This exposes the successful one to vulnerability. There has been inequality amongst human, which has been there all along. There is no such thing as personality disorder when it comes to the issue of negative envy, jealousy and greed. It is in the human nature. What makes us different is how we discipline our mind, our upbringing, and our perceptions about life. Families and close friends are one primary source that can drag down your success it can be intentionally or unintentionally. Even at work place, churches, or any where. I do not believe its personality disorder I do believe it has to do with our different perceptions about life.

2 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by emiye(m): 12:22pm On Jul 13, 2014
Crab mentality is more prevalent for the lowly placed.
Re: Crab Mentality by logica(m): 12:26pm On Jul 13, 2014
angela98: you are correct to an extent but I will argue with you that everyone cannot be successful. This exposes the successful one to vulnerability. There has been inequality amongst human, which has been there all along. There is no such thing as personality disorder when it comes to the issue of negative envy, jealousy and greed.
I will use the story of the dude who was murdered by his best-friend and car stolen as an example. If you know the story I am talking about, you should know this is not normal. For MOST humans who have more successful friends, this friend's success becomes a driver/catalyst and spurs them too on to success. "If my friend can do it, then I too can do it." Healthy competition. Though the competition I am talking about here is not like your friend buys a car, then you too go buy a car just to show him you too get levels. For ABNORMAL people like the guy I mentioned earlier, they see the friend's success as a threat. As a slight; a slap on the face. They've given up on being successful and anybody that does better is "showing himself". It's deep inferiority complex and it is indeed a disorder (either mental or otherwise).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Crab Mentality by EfemenaXY: 12:36pm On Jul 13, 2014
zboyd: Why Do Some Of Us Envy The Success Of Our Own People?
By Silva Umosen

Why is it that when anyone mentions the term “crabs-in-a-barrel” it is almost ALWAYS in reference to Black/African people?

This term has is defined in the Urban Dictionary as follows:

A syndrome where a group of like situated people hurt those in their community attempting to get ahead. Often this is applied to people in an impoverished community where one person is starting to get ahead. The collective community becomes jealous or filled with a sense of self-loathing, so they find a way to pull that person back down to the community’s level. When harvesting crab, the crab as a group will pull down any crab that starts to climb out of the barrel in an attempt to be the first out of the barrel that holds them in, hence crabs-in-a-barrel.

Why do some of us envy another's success?

Southern Nigerians are most guilty of this, abeg.

The northerners are quite cool and even more of their brother's keepers than we ever will be. It sort of explains why they've held on tenaciously to power the most since our national "Independence".

4 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by ogbronx(m): 12:41pm On Jul 13, 2014
It ain't just jealousy or envy .

Crab mentality, sometimes referred to as crabs in the
bucket, is a phrase that describes a way of thinking
best described by the phrase "if I can't have it,
neither can you." The metaphor refers to a pot of
crabs . Individually, the crabs could easily escape
from the pot, but instead, they grab at each other in
a useless " king of the hill " competition which
prevents any from escaping and ensures their
collective demise. [1][2] The analogy in human
behavior is that members of a group will attempt to
"pull down" (negate or diminish the importance of)
any member who achieves success beyond the
others, out of envy, conspiracy or competitive
feelings. [3]
This term is broadly associated with short-sighted,
non-constructive thinking rather than a unified, long-
term, constructive mentality. It is also often used
colloquially in reference to individuals or communities
attempting to improve their socioeconomic situations,
but kept from doing so by others attempting to ride
upon their coat-tails or those who simply resent their
success. [4]
The popularity of the phrase has made accusing
opponents of crab mentality a common form of
defense against criticism, whether the criticism is
valid or not. [5] Depending on the context, this tactic
may fall under the logical fallacy known as
argumentum ad invidiam, or appeal to envy. [6]
While the reason for crab mentality is thought to be
jealousy, and a paucity of resources leading to
perpetual competition, it also appears to be a
behavioural trait indulged in despite people knowing it
to be disadvantageous to them. [7]

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ejire Ara Isokun! Where Exactly Is Isokun? / Igede Names And Their Meaning / Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.