Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Crab Mentality - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Crab Mentality (15698 Views)

5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria / Some Annoying Nigerian Mentality / Nigerians And 'rankadede' Mentality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crab Mentality by pickabeau1: 12:45pm On Jul 13, 2014
logica: It seems people don't know the difference between human nature and a personality disorder. If it is indeed human nature, I would feel the urge to want to bring down every more successful person I come in contact with (except of course you consider the possibility that I am not human). But I never feel that urge. Those who feel this urge are suffering from a mental/personality disorder. Somebody described it as "megalothymia".

And once again, "survival of the fittest" is quite different. As in, if we both are competing for a contract and I win the contract, that is direct competition. Nobody is bringing the other down in this scenario. But if I win the contract and have plenty of money to throw around, then some random monkey starts beefing me, then that is indeed a mental/personality disorder.

What if to win d contract from someone who is more qualified you assassinate the person?
Re: Crab Mentality by logica(m): 12:49pm On Jul 13, 2014
pickabeau1:

What if to win d contract from someone who is more qualified you assassinate the person?
I thought about that; but it is still direct competition which while being extreme and unacceptable is still within the realm of "survival of the fittest". Which is why if I am bidding for a contract in which hundreds of millions are at stake and therefore involved in a cut-throat competition, I will definitely invest plenty in security. And is still different from a situation where you are assassinated by a dude who just feels you are "oppressing" him because you have more money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Crab Mentality by pickabeau1: 12:55pm On Jul 13, 2014
logica: I thought about that; but it is still direct competition which while being extreme and unacceptable is still within the realm of "survival of the fittest". Which is why if I am bidding for a contract in which hundreds of millions are at stake and therefore involved in a cut-throat competition, I will definitely invest plenty in security. And is still different from a situation where you are assassinated by a dude who just feels you are "oppressing" him because you have more money.

That's why i called it selfishness
Which is not unique to any sub human groupings...
Re: Crab Mentality by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 13, 2014
tosingcfr: It cuts across all tribes and nations. I think this is due to megalothymia-the need to be recognised as
superior to others. Hence, many do not want others to be superior to them. However, it takes the grace of God to overcome the crab mentality
sorry its megalomania.
Re: Crab Mentality by logica(m): 1:45pm On Jul 13, 2014
franciskaine: sorry its megalomania.
Sorry, it is megalothymia. Why don't you check what it means?
Re: Crab Mentality by Fulaman198(m): 2:11pm On Jul 13, 2014
pickabeau1:

Its a very popular comment made here especially by females who should know better...those in diaspora
To these people anything white is divine

Please tag me when idiots make another post like that again so we can tag team these women into submission (not literally lol).
Re: Crab Mentality by pickabeau1: 2:37pm On Jul 13, 2014
Fulaman198:

Please tag me when idiots make another post like that again so we can tag team these women into submission (not literally lol).

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Crab Mentality by kavey10(m): 2:55pm On Jul 13, 2014
logica: I will use the story of the dude who was murdered by his best-friend and car stolen as an example. If you know the story I am talking about, you should know this is not normal. For MOST humans who have more successful friends, this friend's success becomes a driver/catalyst and spurs them too on to success. "If my friend can do it, then I too can do it." Healthy competition. Though the competition I am talking about here is not like your friend buys a car, then you too go buy a car just to show him you too get levels. For ABNORMAL people like the guy I mentioned earlier, they see the friend's success as a threat. As a slight; a slap on the face. They've given up on being successful and anybody that does better is "showing himself". It's deep inferiority complex and it is indeed a disorder (either mental or otherwise).

You seem not to get what Angela98 has been trying to pass across. The reason you see it as a personality disorder instead of the human nature at play is because, you have emancipated yourself from such backward thinking & attitude THROUGH EDUCATION(in various forms: family background, environment, school etc).

To be honest, being self-aware is the best thing to happen to one, but the sad truth is not everyone can be emancipated. You logica are educated and self-aware NOT everyone can attain such standard as you, angela98 and I.

I still go with angela98, this case is PRIMARILY human nature(nasty,brutish and selfish etc) only proper education absolves all. Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by pickabeau1: 3:00pm On Jul 13, 2014
kavey10:

You seem not to get what Angela98 has been trying to pass across. The reason you see it as a personality disorder instead of the human nature at play is because, you have emancipated yourself from such backward thinking & attitude THROUGH EDUCATION(in various forms: family background, environment, school etc).

To be honest, being self-aware is the best thing to happen to one, but the sad truth is not everyone can be emancipated. You logica are educated and self-aware NOT everyone can attain such standard as you, angela98 and I.

I still go with angela98, this case is PRIMARILY human nature(nasty,brutish and selfish etc) only proper education absolves all. Thank you.

Exactly....

Survival of the fittest coupled with short-termism
Re: Crab Mentality by Oketwin(m): 3:39pm On Jul 13, 2014
zboyd:

I don't do bigotry.

I do observe human behavior...and I have always noticed the 'crab mentality' within the Afram community. What's interesting is the presence of this same mentality among immigrants, especially African and West Indian immigrants. 'Crab Mentality' is a personality disorder. Discussing it is not being discriminatory. It is an acknowledgement that it indeed exists.
And in ur shallow mind all african ar sucess hater while ur crab headed being encourage it stupeed mofo abgaya

BTW...SOME Africans have no problem using discriminatory terms (Akata, Yard Monkey) on a website where Aframs, West Indians and other people of color frequent online...not within a discussion...but as a racial slur...so what are you on about?

Re: Crab Mentality by onoja12: 4:49pm On Jul 13, 2014
unfortunately does where what the white brought into Africa and the Caribbean to help them control the people,that is why 20,000 European where able to control the hole of Africa.and the crab mentality started with religion
zboyd: Why Do Some Of Us Envy The Success Of Our Own People?
By Silva Umosen

Why is it that when anyone mentions the term “crabs-in-a-barrel” it is almost ALWAYS in reference to Black/African people?

This term has is defined in the Urban Dictionary as follows:

A syndrome where a group of like situated people hurt those in their community attempting to get ahead. Often this is applied to people in an impoverished community where one person is starting to get ahead. The collective community becomes jealous or filled with a sense of self-loathing, so they find a way to pull that person back down to the community’s level. When harvesting crab, the crab as a group will pull down any crab that starts to climb out of the barrel in an attempt to be the first out of the barrel that holds them in, hence crabs-in-a-barrel.

Why do some of us envy another's success?
Re: Crab Mentality by zboyd: 4:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
whitecat007: So what do you want to be called when most of you have said you are not African-Americans? Yard monkeys I've not heard but, akata is fair as only the slave descendants who didn't return are called akata because Nigerian-Americans are technically African-Americans or Black-Americans. Akata is not a racial slur, I grew up hearing it from even my maternal side of the family whose matriarch at one point was a slave returnee.

African Americans call themselves and others in their group various names- Colored, Negro, Black, Black American, African American, American,
Ni**as, Aunt Jemima, Uncle Tom, House Ni**er and Field Ni**er. I can't speak for them- only for myself. I prefer to call myself an American of African descent- same as other Americans of Asian, Irish, Italian, Jewish, Mexican or Polish descent.

Have you had a racial slur hurled at you?

"Akata" IS a racial slur to those being called "Akata" - just like "Wetback" is a racial slur to those being called a "Wetback" (Mexicans).

Just because a racial slur is casually tossed about doesn't mean it's not racially insensitive or offensive to the targeted ethnic group.

Just because a racial slur is used by the targeted group themselves doesn't make it less acceptable, less insensitive or less offensive.

Example: African Americans who refer to each other as "Ni**as but get all riled up when other ethnic groups call them "Ni**a".

Some social psychologists see such self-degradation as self-hate- a lack of self-love.

and the topic was...............
Re: Crab Mentality by whitecat007: 6:41pm On Jul 13, 2014
It's ok to call yourself what you want but my point is Africans who were born in the US can be called African-Americans too. It was just to set you apart since we are all black and African.

And to those who call themselves names you don't want others calling you, you will never be taking seriously, the N word shouldn't be anything to through around.

"Akata" while is not a term of endearment, is also not a hate slur, wait! We belong in same race, whether rat race, race of our lives or that of our skin.

The Yoruba who travelled to US and UK earlier name everything and everyone they came in contact with, Akata as you now know, Paki(pakistani) ojo(police) ejire(immigration) SS#(solasola) mexicans(kokoye) jamaicans(jamo) passport(pali) citizen(omonile) green card(ewekoro) now we have chinco for chinese among others. Yoruba are called "Alata" in Ghana, we have it all over the world and it's a matter of time before you get us a name if you haven't already.

I have never used any racial word on anyone and no one has used it on me and chances of it happening is zero. I have not heard in 16 yrs, and with 4 more years, I don't think I will hear it.

zboyd:

African Americans call themselves and others in their group various names- Colored, Negro, Black, Black American, African American, American,
Ni**as, Aunt Jemima, Uncle Tom, House Ni**er and Field Ni**er. I can't speak for them- only for myself. I prefer to call myself an American of African descent- same as other Americans of Asian, Irish, Italian, Jewish, Mexican or Polish descent.

Have you had a racial slur hurled at you?

"Akata" IS a racial slur to those being called "Akata" - just like "Wetback" is a racial slur to those being called a "Wetback" (Mexicans).

Just because a racial slur is casually tossed about doesn't mean it's not racially insensitive or offensive to the targeted ethnic group.

Just because a racial slur is used by the targeted group themselves doesn't make it less acceptable, less insensitive or less offensive.

Example: African Americans who refer to each other as "Ni**as but get all riled up when other ethnic groups call them "Ni**a".

Some social psychologists see such self-degradation as self-hate- a lack of self-love.

and the topic was...............

1 Like

Re: Crab Mentality by Solowande(m): 7:04pm On Jul 13, 2014
pickabeau1: And this trait is only found among blacks.. undecided

I guess Betrayal, backstabbing and selfishness are all black/african words..
Saying dat this traits are only found black is nt true. Though it common among African but it nt a black or africa tin. it is a global issue.

2 Likes

Re: Crab Mentality by GoodBoi1(m): 7:13pm On Jul 13, 2014
Even good people envy others, at times they feel it's beyond their control. It's just human nature but it can be put in check.
Re: Crab Mentality by tosingcfr(m): 9:23pm On Jul 13, 2014
franciskaine: sorry its megalomania.
. Bros google megalothymia. I'm 100% sure of what I typed sir (megalothymia and isothymia)
Re: Crab Mentality by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jul 13, 2014
@ op, you are absolutely right about your observation. I think every thing has do to with the inherited ancient african attitude which grew into a culture. African's do not believe in equality- and when I say equality, I'm not primarily talking about gender equality. I'm referring to that between every free born individual. A typical African believes in slavery and sole power/authority. He/ she does not believe that a good leader is actually a 'servant' of the people. That's why our so called leaders don't give a damn about the educational system and speedy economic development. They rather encourage poverty, unemployment, prostitution and brain drain( individuals with potentials finding opportunities abroad than at home which I see as modern day slavery) to prevent people from becoming empowered so they can remain in servitude to them. This attitude isn't just found among political leaders, it is every where, everyone wants to dominate- men, women ,even children(if you've ever attended a boarding school). We really need to change!!!

Re: Crab Mentality by EfemenaXY: 11:57pm On Jul 13, 2014
^^ Lol at those pictures and their corresponding comments! "Somewhere in the animal kingdom" indeed-ie! cheesy cheesy

Check out the world leaders / super powers carrying their own bags / brief cases...and the only thing the Nigerian leader can manage is his walking stick!

I bet given the option, he would rather someone held his stick for him abi help him walk with his walking stick. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Crab Mentality by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jul 14, 2014
elected: The white ppl do this too. Why do you think America try to instigate ppl to kill themselves? Particularly, countries that refused coming to beg for their aids. Try to show a white colleagues how better you are than him at work and see how you will be sent away in a short time. But in Africa, the magnitude of respect given to successful people that drags people into trying see themselves as gods, is most times the reason people want to drag ppl down .Is too difficult to live in the same community with people of lower class . don't get me wrong, but the reason is what we have discussed above.

If that's true for you then you need to find a new employer.
Re: Crab Mentality by LondonCool(m): 9:36pm On Jul 14, 2014
The Crab Mentality syndrome can also be explained positively in the reverse. Whenever you want to catch a Crab (especially with a stick) they always hold on to each other while they are being pulled up. They won't leave their colleagues behind, they stretch to pull the next Crab up the stick.
Re: Crab Mentality by kingston277(m): 10:53pm On Jul 14, 2014
koyyes: @ op, you are absolutely right about your observation. I think every thing has do to with the inherited ancient african attitude which grew into a culture. African's do not believe in equality- and when I say equality, I'm not primarily talking about gender equality. I'm referring to that between every free born individual. A typical African believes in slavery and sole power/authority. He/ she does not believe that a good leader is actually a 'servant' of the people. That's why our so called leaders don't give a damn about the educational system and speedy economic development. They rather encourage poverty, unemployment, prostitution and brain drain( individuals with potentials finding opportunities abroad than at home which I see as modern day slavery) to prevent people from becoming empowered so they can remain in servitude to them. This attitude isn't just found among political leaders, it is every where, everyone wants to dominate- men, women ,even children(if you've ever attended a boarding school). We really need to change!!!
Still spouting baseless info are you, huh? Please provide proof that the crab mentality is ancient African culture because that kind of mentality/social inequality cannot achieve this

How often do you see this level of stability in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Crab Mentality by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jul 15, 2014
kingston277:
Still spouting baseless info are you, huh? Please provide proof that the crab mentality is ancient African culture because that kind of mentality/social inequality cannot achieve this

How often do you see this level of stability in Nigeria?
I don't expect you to see any sense in the point(s) I've made. When you stop being a hypocrite and have relocated from the white man's land to africa for a reasonable number of years, then we can talk. But right now, you are the one making baseless and stupid comments on matters that you know nothing about or how has that pic got anything to do with the subject matter? Don't ever quote me again,Nosy foreigner!
Re: Crab Mentality by kingston277(m): 7:21pm On Jul 15, 2014
koyyes: I don't expect you to see any sense in the point(s) I've made. When you stop being a hypocrite and have relocated from the white man's land to africa for a reasonable number of years, then we can talk. But right now, you are the one making baseless and stupid comments on matters that you know nothing about or how has that pic got anything to do with the subject matter? Don't ever quote me again,Nosy foreigner!
-_-
Move to the Caribbean then if you still don't believe me.

When you stop talking down the achievements of my forefathers like you are significant or something, then the beef will cease.

1 Like

Re: Crab Mentality by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 16, 2014
kingston277:
-_-
Move to the Caribbean then if you still don't believe me.

When you stop talking down the achievements of my forefathers like you are significant or something, then the beef will cease.
omg! You lack comprehension I must tell you. Why don't you move to the caribbean or africa rather than claiming canadian citizen for us to believe everything you say? Or do they have their invisible chains around you? This is someone siting on the whiteman's chair, eating their food,working his butt for them, contributing to their national GDP and using their inventions to type nonsense to me. For real?What have you done to help in the achievement of the continent you came from today? You are living in a world of denial!
Re: Crab Mentality by kingston277(m): 5:00pm On Jul 16, 2014
koyyes: omg! You lack comprehension I must tell you. Why don't you move to the caribbean or africa rather than claiming canadian citizen for us to believe everything you say?
Why are you repeating what I said? I am fully aware of the conditions in the country I descended from and have property in, but it seems you don't, which is why I recommended you to live there for a while to see for yourself.

Or do they have their invisible chains around you? This is someone siting on the whiteman's chair,
made in China.

eating their food,
From South Africa.

working his butt for them,
Who isn't. Haven't you heard of neo-imperialism?

contributing to their national GDP
As long as you continue exporting your precious oil, you are too.

and using their inventions to type nonsense to me.
Also made in China. But if I wanted to, I could order the Way-C tablet made in the Congo.

For real?What have you done to help in the achievement of the continent you came from today? You are living in a world of denial!
Uh -_-
I have started a thread promoting sea-faring achievements
https://www.nairaland.com/1796503/traditional-african-boat-designs
Have made a thread highlighting developmental suggestions
https://www.nairaland.com/1796388/tradition-progress
Made an attempt to reduce the need for archaeology and and make African history more accessible.
https://www.nairaland.com/1796753/anybody-know-elderly-people-born
Have contributed to the writing systems thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/189030/african-script
And as demonstrated on this thread. Promoting images of pre-colonial life to help get people interested an motivate them to catch up and surpass the abilities of their forefathers. An several others have been contributing with me too like fulaman.

Now what have you done to help the continent you descend from?
Spreading non-peer reviewed opinions doesn't count.
Re: Crab Mentality by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jul 16, 2014
kingston277:
Why are you repeating what I said? I am fully aware of the conditions in the country I descended from and have property in, but it seems you don't, which is why I recommended you to live there for a while to see for yourself.

made in China.

From South Africa.

Who isn't. Haven't you heard of neo-imperialism?

As long as you continue exporting your precious oil, you are too.

Also made in China. But if I wanted to, I could order the Way-C tablet made in the Congo.

Uh -_-
I have started a thread promoting sea-faring achievements
https://www.nairaland.com/1796503/traditional-african-boat-designs
Have made a thread highlighting developmental suggestions
https://www.nairaland.com/1796388/tradition-progress
Made an attempt to reduce the need for archaeology and and make African history more accessible.
https://www.nairaland.com/1796753/anybody-know-elderly-people-born
Have contributed to the writing systems thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/189030/african-script
And as demonstrated on this thread. Promoting images of pre-colonial life to help get people interested an motivate them to catch up and surpass the abilities of their forefathers. An several others have been contributing with me too like fulaman.

Now what have you done to help the continent you descend from?
Spreading non-peer reviewed opinions doesn't count.
Bull shit! All that doesn't count. I said relocate ,feel the heat,and make your contributions directly, then your so called contributions can be acknowledged. It's funny you had to mention neo imperialism which has absolutely nothing to do with what I mentioned except you meant slavery! There are elites who do business abroad and make sure part of the revenue are invested in their home land- those are the only people I respect and the last time I checked, china products are not produced in africa. You just don't take pride in any product that is purely african. You need to know my contributions? I won't give you details, but I'll tell you this-First of all I use my african name as my profile unlike you bearing a white man's name as your profile. I will never think of abandoning my roots to the white man's land unlike you simply because of the issues we've got. I promote my very own cultural meals unlike you. I've got love for africa- TOUGH LOVE and will say things the way they are even if doesn't sit well with people like you, I promote the good and reject the bad unlike you that promotes both good and bad-after all, what do you stand to lose? You are seeking refuge in the white man's land!
Re: Crab Mentality by kingston277(m): 8:38pm On Jul 16, 2014
It seems you want the last word on this rubbish. I know I will not convince you as you have failed to read any of my provided links before proceeding to rage, or consider anything I said. Not to mention you have failed to provide any scholarly sources to back up your original claims. I will at least make this a lesson to encourage readers to go to their local library/university for accurate information on culture/history, not the eurocentric fairy-tales that was to them in school, on the street, or in the biased Nigerian media.

koyyes: Bull shit! All that doesn't count. I said relocate ,feel the heat,and make your contributions directly, then your so called contributions can be acknowledged.
Doing the above isn't contributing directly? It's called education, Koyyes. It can be acquired anywhere and can work wonders for a country, we live in the internet age.
So Adefunmi, Cheikh anta Diop, Van Sertima, Marcus Garvey, Saki Mafundikwa, Henry Odera Oruka etc are not contributing because they lived and did their work outside of Africa? They exposed eurocentrism, helped restore a portion of pre-colonial education back to the people, promoted African religion and culture, popularized indigenous writing systems, made African history available for all through books, and did this all without forking over 1 cent for a house in Africa. And without them, you would not have any knowledge of the slave trade what so ever. What have continental Africans contributed that matches that of these great people. Are you not aware that they were/are transforming Africa from the arm chairs of the West and several more contributions are still being made. In fact, neo-imperialism is being conducted from the armchairs of western elites. You really shouldn't be arguing in topics you have no knowledge in.

It's funny you had to mention neo imperialism which has absolutely nothing to do with what I mentioned except you meant slavery!
Next time pay attention to the context I used that in.

There are elites who do business abroad and make sure part of the revenue are invested in their home land- those are the only people I respect and the last time I checked, china products are not produced in africa.
Your point was that I wasn't being anti-West/pro-African by using western products which I debunked. Being made elsewhere is irrelevant to your argument because It was never about Africa vs. China. China is irrelevant as they are not the ones contributing to the underdevelopment like the West is.

You just don't take pride in any product that is purely african.
Oh yes I can and am already!

You need to know my contributions? I won't give you details, but I'll tell you this-First of all I use my african name as my profile unlike you bearing a white man's name as your profile.
You don't know Kingston? As in Kingston, Jamaica? The birthplace of my mother and one of the most famous cities in the Caribbean?
Not exactly my fault the city was named that but you can ask the government over there why they kept that name.

I will never think of abandoning my roots to the white man's land unlike you simply because of the issues we've got.
Double fail grin
1. My parents moved here, not me. However I have stay during the winter months on my family owned property and gotten to know the good and the bad there.
2. Did you not check the background Africa's heros? The likes of Kwame Nkrumah and Saki Mafundikwa lived and worked in the West while still contributing far more to their home countries than you have.

I promote my very own cultural meals unlike you.
How do you know I don't promote my own cutural meals? Did I indicate that somewhere in my previous posts?

I've got love for africa- TOUGH LOVE and will say things the way they are even if doesn't sit well with people like you, I promote the good and reject the bad unlike you that promotes both good and bad-after all, what do you stand to lose? You are seeking refuge in the white man's land!
Sorry, but fabricating history and throwing blame for today's issues caused by both colonialism and you and your lazy, like-minded countrymen on your(and my) hardworking forefathers who fought tooth and nail to preserve the kingdoms they governed and commenced high-productivity projects to generate wealth for the economy is not love, that is called being irresponsible. the fact that Nigerians can't take responsibility for their mistakes and would rather blame it on someones Grandpa in the 19th century says alot about your level of development. Our forefathers worked wonders, establishing human rights, organizing agricultural and metallurgy projects, openness to adopting any kind of knowledge that would in-turn help them advance further than they already spent the millennia doing. Please learn to stop turning up your nose to foreword thinking people, then maybe you will see improvements.
Re: Crab Mentality by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jul 16, 2014
kingston277: It seems you want the last word on this rubbish. I know I will not convince you as you have failed to read any of my provided links before proceeding to rage, or consider anything I said. Not to mention you have failed to provide any scholarly sources to back up your original claims. I will at least make this a lesson to encourage readers to go to their local library/university for accurate information on culture/history, not the eurocentric fairy-tales that was to them in school, on the street, or in the biased Nigerian media.

Doing the above isn't contributing directly? It's called education, Koyyes. It can be acquired anywhere and can work wonders for a country, we live in the internet age.
So Adefunmi, Cheikh anta Diop, Van Sertima, Marcus Garvey, Saki Mafundikwa, Henry Odera Oruka etc are not contributing because they lived and did their work outside of Africa? They exposed eurocentrism, helped restore a portion of pre-colonial education back to the people, promoted African religion and culture, popularized indigenous writing systems, made African history available for all through books, and did this all without forking over 1 cent for a house in Africa. And without them, you would not have any knowledge of the slave trade what so ever. What have continental Africans contributed that matches that of these great people. Are you not aware that they were/are transforming Africa from the arm chairs of the West and several more contributions are still being made. In fact, neo-imperialism is being conducted from the armchairs of western elites. You really shouldn't be arguing in topics you have no knowledge in.

Next time pay attention to the context I used that in.

Your point was that I wasn't being anti-West/pro-African by using western products which I debunked. Being made elsewhere is irrelevant to your argument because It was never about Africa vs. China. China is irrelevant as they are not the ones contributing to the underdevelopment like the West is.

Oh yes I can and am already!

You don't know Kingston? As in Kingston, Jamaica? The birthplace of my mother and one of the most famous cities in the Caribbean?
Not exactly my fault the city was named that but you can ask the government over there why they kept that name.

Double fail grin
1. My parents moved here, not me. However I have stay during the winter months on my family owned property and gotten to know the good and the bad there.
2. Did you not check the background Africa's heros? The likes of Kwame Nkrumah and Saki Mafundikwa lived and worked in the West while still contributing far more to their home countries than you have.

How do you know I don't promote my own cutural meals? Did I indicate that somewhere in my previous posts?

Sorry, but fabricating history and throwing blame for today's issues caused by both colonialism and you and your lazy, like-minded countrymen on your(and my) hardworking forefathers who fought tooth and nail to preserve the kingdoms they governed and commenced high-productivity projects to generate wealth for the economy is not love, that is called being irresponsible. the fact that Nigerians can't take responsibility for their mistakes and would rather blame it on someones Grandpa in the 19th century says alot about your level of development. Our forefathers worked wonders, establishing human rights, organizing agricultural and metallurgy projects, openness to adopting any kind of knowledge that would in-turn help them advance further than they already spent the millennia doing. Please learn to stop turning up your nose to foreword thinking people, then maybe you will see improvements.
buhahahahahahahhahah! Omg, I said it! It was only a matter of time before we all here got to know the clown that you are! You come here pretending to promote african culture but all you've succeeded in doing is making a total fool of yourself. Expressing your hate towards Nigerians because of matters you know nothing about. Don't even dare compare yourself with africa's heroes because that would just be like insulting the African race. Educated and exposed my foot!I guess I'm suppose to be praising my ancestors for allowing slave trade to occur despite the advancement they attained as at then. pftttttttt!! You sound like a broken record. And I feel sorry for the people here that have read and believed the bunch of lies you've spewed here or were you expecting me to believe your vomit? You expect me to read links - me, a dweller in my own home with history all around me and books to read about my history as a nigerian? Loooool, you know what? Change that your name from kingston to slaveston. Before you pray to your gods, try to print out this pic below and make a poster of it. Use it to worship your ancestors day and night for making you a refugee in a foreign land!

Re: Crab Mentality by kingston277(m): 12:28am On Jul 17, 2014
koyyes: buhahahahahahahhahah! Omg, I said it! It was only a matter of time before we all here got to know the clown that you are! You come here pretending to promote african culture but all you've succeeded in doing is making a total fool of yourself.
You've spent the last few days raging like a rabid dog but i'm making a fool of myself? Rofl, don't kill me!

Expressing your hate towards Nigerians because of matters you know nothing about. Don't even dare compare yourself with africa's heroes because that would just be like insulting the African race. Educated and exposed my foot!
My goodness.

Pick up a book and spare us the pain.

I guess I'm suppose to be praising my ancestors for allowing slave trade to occur despite the advancement they attained as at then. pftttttttt!!
Allowing the slave trading to occur? But it was originally their trade, the Europeans just joined in and abused the system. thats like asking why the Swahilis allowed the Indian ocean trade to occur with Europeans, the latter were just late-comers. There was even book featuring a first hand account depicting a king of Dahomey kingdom named Agaja who captured a British man as a slave and extracted information on why the British were exporting so many slaves. Most elites at the time did in fact see the European desire for slaves as abnormal in volume. The middle-class even viewed them as cannibals. Some Kings did try to back out of dealing with Europeans due to depopulation which was then redirected to increasing agricultural productivity.
http://books.google.ca/books?id=0YILMba_EnoC&pg=PA175&lpg=PA175&dq=king+agaja+slave+trade+Bulfinch+Lambe&source=bl&ots=MNgu9hp1_r&sig=nWdImBxq8AkyKc0RM_FocE9qpQY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yAzHU9__Iom1yASm5oLwBA&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=king%20agaja%20slave%20trade%20Bulfinch%20Lambe&f=false

You sound like a broken record.
I know right grin I now see why nobody else responds to your comments. It's like getting stuck in limbo.

And I feel sorry for the people here that have read and believed the bunch of lies you've spewed here or were you expecting me to believe your vomit?
I didn't spout them, they came from the university archives I posted.
I wonder what makes educated scholars release false info then?

You expect me to read links
Sure. If you want the most recent findings from scholars so you don't sound like you've just came down from the mountains, then I recommend you do.

- me, a dweller in my own home with history all around me and books to read about my history as a nigerian?
Are all these books from 1897 or something? Do they happen to endorse Jim Crow by any chance?

Loooool, you know what? Change that your name from kingston to slaveston. Before you pray to your gods, try to print out this pic below and make a poster of it. Use it to worship your ancestors day and night for making you a refugee in a foreign land!
Sure. I'll be a good reminder of the way these scheming Europeans cheated the slave trading system and did not comply with the Laws set by my ansestors(the slave works off his/her debt for a certain amount of time, then is freed and allowed to return to Africa). I recommend you print this put too...

A way to remind you of the good ol' days you so dream to return to.
Re: Crab Mentality by Nobody: 12:40am On Jul 17, 2014
kingston277:
You've spent the last few days raging like a rabid dog but i'm making a fool of myself? Rofl, don't kill me!

My goodness.

Allowing the slave trading to occur? But it was originally their trade, the Europeans just joined in and abused the system. thats like asking why the Swahilis allowed the Indian ocean trade to occur with Europeans, the latter were just late-comers. There was even book featuring a first hand account depicting a king of Dahomey kingdom named Agaja who captured a British man as a slave and extracted information on why the British were exporting so many slaves. Most elites at the time did in fact see the European desire for slaves as abnormal in volume. The middle-class even viewed them as cannibals. Some Kings did try to back out of dealing with Europeans due to depopulation.

I know right grin I now see why nobody else responds to your comments. It's like getting stuck in limbo.

Sure. If you want the most recent findings from scholars so you don't sound like you've just came down from the mountains, then I recommend you do.

Are all these books from 1897 or something? Do they happen to endorse Jim Crow by any chance?

Sure. I'll be a good reminder of the way these scheming Europeans cheated the slave trading system and did not comply with the Laws set by my ansestors(the slave works off his/her debt for a certain amount of time, then is freed and allowed to return to Africa). I recommend you print this put too...

grin
kingston277:

My goodness.

Allowing the slave trading to occur? But it was originally their trade, the Europeans just joined in and abused the system. thats like asking why the Swahilis allowed the Indian ocean trade to occur with Europeans, the latter were just late-comers. There was even book featuring a first hand account depicting a king of Dahomey kingdom named Agaja who captured a British man as a slave and extracted information on why the British were exporting so many slaves. Most elites at the time did in fact see the European desire for slaves as abnormal in volume. The middle-class even viewed them as cannibals. Some Kings did try to back out of dealing with Europeans due to depopulation.

Why would they respond? All I've said has an element of truth. They are probably looking at you as someone who is soooo foolish to even argue with me. You are so daft!gosh, who told you I'm raging? I'm having a blast so speak for yourself. Be the lunatic by arguing over and over and over again with me. Let's go mofo! You are showing me ancient pics, when even you cannot stand living in the carribean with your people- you should be stoned!
Re: Crab Mentality by kingston277(m): 12:49am On Jul 17, 2014
koyyes: grin Why would they respond? All I've said has an element of truth. They are probably looking at you as someone who is soooo foolish to even argue with me. You are so daft!gosh, who told you I'm raging? I'm having a blast so speak for yourself. Be the lunatic by arguing over and over and over again with me. Let's go mofo!
Then post the information you're quoting from. Why is it so difficult to provide a little citation? NO scholar would ever take you seriously with you making wild and baseless claims, then arguing against posting citations or even the name of the book you received your "information" from. What you're doing is exactly how to spot a BS-er. You still haven't even posted at-least the name of the book you learn about the topic from so why would any educated individual take you seriously. You can say Africans slave traded with aliens for all we care. Please open a more recent book on the topic, then come back to me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ejire Ara Isokun! Where Exactly Is Isokun? / Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba / Igede Names And Their Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.