Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,839 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:47 AM

Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies (9459 Views)

It's Time To Tax Churches / Should Religious Bodies Be Regulated / Time To Tax The Commercial Churches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by nora544: 3:05pm On Jul 13, 2014
churches in nigeria are business centers with the so called great man of God as CEO

and the churches should show what they are doing with the money, you will never hear from this new churches what they make for charity!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by eriegua83: 3:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
Yes they should be taxed. Both churches and mosque alike. Christ never paid tithe in his lifetime and never laid emphasis on it but pastors today make it the focal point of christainity; but christ paid his tax and even told his disciples who complained about paying tax " to give onto God God's and unto ceaser ceaser's"

8 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by MadCow1: 3:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
Religious bodies receive more money than government in tithes and more.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Acidosis(m): 3:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
Are you sure you have a right motive about this "church-tax" system?

or are you pained that Churches are exploding financially?

If the latter is the basis for this discourse, then I am sooo sorry for you cos no amount of tax will drain the church pocket. You're simply providing an access road for more blessings!

I dont blame you sha, pagan will always assume people survive on mere salary (lol)

Get ready for more heart attack, bro. Your wisdom is too little, too macro to reduce a penny of God's divine blessing. smiley

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by remsonik(f): 3:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
No they shouldn't, even if they will be taxed I think it should be restricted to pentecostal churches and not orthodox churches. We know what the orthodox churches have contributed to the development of this nation in terms of education,healthcare,welfare,community service and so on!!!
However we ve a crop of new generation churches that preaches prosperity and not salvation giving rise to the get rich quick syndrome among our youths!!
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Lifebender(m): 3:09pm On Jul 13, 2014
PAGAN9JA: How many of you are willing to stand up against the draining of our Nation's Wealth by these foreign Religious bodies?

churches collect money from the Nigerian common man to feed to pastors material desires, big manshions, private jets, etc.

Tithe money from churches is sent to foreign western country like the vatican to FIll Their Coffers.

This is the Money of the Nigerian Common Man.

Meanwhile, zakat money is being used to fund terrorist activities abroad, boko haram , al qaeda, etc.

And apart from this all, Our money is being used by these orgainzations to build more religious structures TAX FREE on prime property land; the opportunity cost of which could be used to build schools , hospitals, business outlets, Community Centres, etc.

Taxation of Religious bodies can increase the Government Revenues and make our Government Coffers richer. This money could then be used for development of Nigeria and Standard People's Progressive issues, etc.

Also needed to be abolished is the Pilgrimage subsidy to foreign nations by muslims/christians.
Or else even Pagans/Traditionalists must get Pilgrimage subsidies or atleast shrine construction subsidies and atheists must also get some form of Scientific Pilgrimage subsidy to foreign Scientific/Technology Forums, etc. (which will benefit the Nation)

If you are for this petition , copy this onto the reply below " I "username" as a Nigerian Citizen, wish the Nigerian Government elected by me to Tax Religious Bodies in the Nation. "

The Gods Bless Nigeria! cool

How much are u guys even paying for tithe with all dis ranting and gilbering.Were u forced to paywere u jailed cos u did'nt paywere u insulted or abuse by any means

Abegi the govt dey there wey dey embezzle,steal BILLIONS of our money yet u no go jump insyd lagoon/bar beach....IPYL.Mtchwwww

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 13, 2014
MANY CHURCHES &MOSQUES NOWADAYS RUN THEIR PLACE OF WORSHIP LIKE A BUISNESS CENTRE.AND SINCE BUISNESS CENTRES PAY TAXES.THEY TOO SHOULD GET READY TO PAY TAXangry

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by UrbanMystique: 3:11pm On Jul 13, 2014
I TRUTH02 as a Nigerian Citizen, wish the Nigerian Government elected by me to Tax Religious Bodies in the Nation.

and every church should be licenced with huge money before they can operate to reduce the number of churches/mosques that are making noises all over the street

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
Acidosis: Are you sure you have a right motive about this "church-tax" system?

or are you pained that Churches are exploding financially?

If the latter is the basis for this discourse, then I am sooo sorry for you cos no amount of tax will drain the church pocket. You're simply providing an access road for more blessings!

I dont blame you sha, pagan will always assume people survive on mere salary (lol)

Get ready for more heart attack, bro. Your wisdom is too little, too macro to reduce a penny of God's divine blessing. smiley
IF JESUS COULD PAY TAX.WHAT STOPS THE CHURCHES FROM PAYING TAXundecided

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 13, 2014
patrickdarlins: what is MONIES??plural of MONEY is MONEY...cos of dis u ve said..i wont collect tax again from dem....lols
Monies is still correct buddy. You could use some home lessons though.

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by davdandam(m): 3:16pm On Jul 13, 2014
That's double tax olodos,I already pay tax every month on my salary and I can use my money for anything I so desire including giving it all to the church. Why tax em again
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by daryoor(m): 3:16pm On Jul 13, 2014
they make money not profit, so don't tax them.
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Manazz(m): 3:19pm On Jul 13, 2014
dhammyg: MANY CHURCHES &MOSQUES NOWADAYS RUN THEIR PLACE OF WORSHIP LIKE A BUISNESS CENTRE.AND SINCE BUISNESS CENTRES PAY TAXES.THEY TOO SHOULD GET READY TO PAY TAXangry

Can you believe this people?! There is no Mosque anywhere in this world that's run like a business centre or whatever! I mean like taking money from a whole bunch of people? Yep definitely not, and don't even try to claim Sadakat/Zakat is anything like that since obviously most Non Muslims have no idea what they're talking about like the retard OP who claims Zakat is funding terrorism.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 13, 2014
davdandam: That's double tax olodos,I already pay tax every month on my salary and I can use my money for anything I so desire including giving it all to the church. Why tax em again
BECUZ MANY CHURCHES NOWADAYS OPERATE LIKE BUISNESS VENTURES.AND A BUISNESS VENTURE MUST BE TAXED.EVEN JESUS PAID TAX.SO WHY SHOULD THE CHURCHES NOT DO THE SAME

BY THE WAY MOST OF THE TITHES U PAY IS USES BY THE PASTORS TO BUY PRIVATE JETS,BUILD MANSIONS AND ESTABLISH UNIVERSITIES THAT 80% OF THEIR CONGREGATION CANNOT AFFORD tongue
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Gombs(m): 3:22pm On Jul 13, 2014
is it jst me or what?why does pagan 9ja post always seems like he is angry?

now,pagans,atheist and anti tithe crew all gang up against tithing,anti tithers claim it has been abolished by the new testament,pagan n atheists claim it is fraud.. .i laugh.i am not ignorant of d wiles of the devil sha

fyi, if churches are taxed,what makes u think it wont grow even bigger?how much can u take from d ocean? dnt u get it?the new creatioo finance and economy is not of this world?

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by cold(m): 3:23pm On Jul 13, 2014
patrickdarlins: what is MONIES??plural of MONEY is MONEY...cos of dis u ve said..i wont collect tax again from dem....lols
Monies in the context it is used is correct. Hope you've learnt something new today

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by nora544: 3:25pm On Jul 13, 2014
I live in an country in europa and the first time I hear about tithing was from a friend in nigeria, I never hear this in my country because we didnot have this, we have a churchtax like it is in many countries here in europa.

I will pay about 1,1% of my income (when I belong to one of the recognized churches in my country) i had in the last year but when my income is under 1000 Euro per month I have to pay no and I say no churchtax. I have a income of about 24000 euro last year so i pay this year a churchtax of Euro 264,-- and this reduce my tax which I have to pay to the goverment so i get this money back from the goverment and it works until you pay more than 400 euro per year on churchtax.

the church in my country pay with this the pastors and the priest and they have to show what they are doing with the money.

Governmental collection of religious offerings and taxes
Austria

In Austria a colloquially called church tax (Kirchensteuer, officially called Kirchenbeitrag, i.e. church contribution) has to be paid by members of the Catholic and Protestant Church. It is levied by the churches themselves and not by the government. The obligation to pay church tax can just be evaded by an official declaration to cease church membership. The tax is calculated on the basis of personal income. It amounts to about 1.1% (Catholic church) and 1.5% (Protestant church).[citation needed]
Denmark

All members of the Church of Denmark pay a church tax, which varies between municipalities. The tax is generally around 1% of the taxable income.[citation needed]

Finland

Members of state churches pay a church tax of between 1% and 2% of income, depending on the municipality. In addition, 2.55% of corporate taxes are distributed to the state churches. Church taxes are integrated into the common national taxation system.[16]
Germany

Germany levies a church tax, on all persons declaring themselves to be Christians, of roughly 8–9% of their income tax, which is effectively (very much depending on the social and financial situation) typically between 0.2% and 1.5% of the total income. The proceeds are shared amongst Catholic, Lutheran, and other Protestant Churches.[17]

The church tax (Kirchensteuer) actually traces its roots back as far as the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss of 1803. It was reaffirmed in the Concordat of 1933 between Nazi Germany and the Catholic Church. Today its legal basis is article 140 of the Grundgesetz (the German "constitution"wink in connection with article 137 of the Weimar constitution. These laws originally merely allowed the churches themselves to tax their members, but in Nazi Germany, collection of church taxes was transferred to the German government. As a result, both the German government and the employer are notified of the religious affiliation of every tax payer. This system is still in effect today. Mandatory disclosure of religious affiliation to government agencies or employers constituted a violation of the original European data protection directives but is now permitted after the German government obtained an exemption.[17]

Church tax (Kirchensteuer) is compulsory in Germany for those confessing members of a particular religious group. It is deducted at the PAYE level. The duty to pay this tax theoretically starts on the day one is christened. Anyone who wants to stop paying it has to declare in writing, at their local court of law (Amtsgericht) or registry office, that they are leaving the Church. They are then crossed off the Church registers and can no longer receive the sacraments, confession and certain services; Roman Catholic church may deny such as person a burial plot.[17] In addition to the government, the tax payer also must notify his employer of his religious affiliation (or lack thereof) in order to ensure proper tax withholding.[18]

This opt-out is also used by members of "free churches" (e.g. Baptists) (non-affiliated to the scheme) to stop paying the church tax, from which the free churches do not benefit, in order to support their own church directly.

Sweden

Until the year 2000, Sweden had a mandatory church tax, to be paid if one did belong to the Church of Sweden, which had been funneling about $500 million annually to the church. Because of change in legislation, the tax was withdrawn in year 2000. However, the Swedish government has agreed to continue collecting from individual taxpayers the annual payment that has always gone to the church. But now the tax will be an optional checkoff box on the tax return. The government will allocate the money collected to Catholic, Muslim, Jewish and other faiths as well as the Lutherans, with each taxpayer directing where his or her taxes should go.[citation needed]

Switzerland

There is no official state church in Switzerland; however, all the 26 cantons (states) financially support at least one of the three traditional denominations--Roman Catholic, Old Catholic, or Protestant—with funds collected through taxation. Each canton has its own regulations regarding the relationship between church and state. In some cantons, the church tax (up to 2.3%) is voluntary but in others an individual who chooses not to contribute to church tax may formally have to leave the church. In some cantons private companies are unable to avoid payment of the church tax.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithe[/quote]
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by robonski15(m): 3:26pm On Jul 13, 2014
Lifebender:

How much are u guys even paying for tithe with all dis ranting and gilbering.Were u forced to paywere u jailed cos u did'nt paywere u insulted or abuse by any means

Abegi the govt dey there wey dey embezzle,steal BILLIONS of our money yet u no go jump insyd lagoon/bar beach....IPYL.Mtchwwww

My point exactly..
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Sezua(m): 3:26pm On Jul 13, 2014
monies is actually right....its used in economics.... and relates well to dis thread....stop forming like u know something wen u don't know sh1t

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by cold(m): 3:28pm On Jul 13, 2014
Gombs: is it jst me or what?why does pagan 9ja post always seems like he is angry?

now,pagans,atheist and anti tithe crew all gang up against tithing,anti tithers claim it has been abolished by the new testament,pagan n atheists claim it is fraud.. .i laugh.i am not ignorant of d wiles of the devil sha

fyi, if churches are taxed,what makes u think it wont grow even bigger?how much can u take from d ocean? dnt u get it?the new creatioo finance and economy is not of this world?
You're like someone under the spell of a yahoo boy. Anyone trying to convince you you're being conned is tagged 'an enemy of progress'. I feel for you and your ilk

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 13, 2014
ifeness: Every Nigerian should learn to say Fuk God and Pastors!

I'm not a xtian....but whoever u r, u need help asap!!!
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by SporaD8: 3:36pm On Jul 13, 2014
Yes?
Even NGOs and Beggars too?!
Their contributor's income had already been taxed. So why clamored for multiple taxation again?
How income earners choose to spend their disposable income is at the income earner's discretion.
However Religious bodies are registered with the Government so Registration fee or a one-time tax during Registration could be employed to check their excesses.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by mystiqueDZ(f): 3:42pm On Jul 13, 2014
Oh hellll YES!!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Irritant: 3:45pm On Jul 13, 2014
datguru: Why on earth should that be done? For me, it means the government are stealing from God

Oga!!! shocked
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by iamord(m): 3:47pm On Jul 13, 2014
datguru: Why on earth should that be done? For me, it means the government are stealing from God
that's why the masses r easily brainwashed
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Cvesta(m): 3:53pm On Jul 13, 2014
Yes Yes Yes....a Progressive tax at dat...d more they earn..d more dey pay
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Acidosis(m): 3:54pm On Jul 13, 2014
dhammyg:
IF JESUS COULD PAY TAX.WHAT STOPS THE CHURCHES FROM PAYING TAXundecided

Jesus didn't pay tax on His ministry. He paid as an individual.

I believe church members who constitute the church are already paying their respective taxes in their workplace.

You and I know OP's intention is to drain and suck the church dry. Empty dream/wish, though smiley

What I know about givers is that they always receive more. Tax the Churches, and see how blessed they'll become. Concurrently, more money for our elected looters; while the common man like OP remains stagnant.
Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Irritant: 4:00pm On Jul 13, 2014
I beg o,make government nor disturb church with tax o, cos if dem dey pay tax na the church members go still suffer am....especially the upcoming churches...

Na that one go make churches introduce new type of Collection Called..........
"TAX OFFERING" grin

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 13, 2014
Acidosis:

Jesus didn't pay tax on His ministry. He paid as an individual.

I believe church members who constitute the church are already paying their respective taxes in their workplace.

You and I know OP's intention is to drain and suck the church dry. Empty dream/wish, though smiley

What I know about givers is that they always receive more. Tax the Churches, and see how blessed they'll become. Concurrently, more money for our elected looters; while the common man like OP remains stagnant.
THE CHURCH IS ALREADY SUCKING ITS MEMBERS DRY LET THE FG DO THE SAME TO THEM.

XTIANITY IN NIGERIA HAS BEEN BADLY DILUTEDangry

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies by iamord(m): 4:05pm On Jul 13, 2014
UrbanMystique: I TRUTH02 as a Nigerian Citizen, wish the Nigerian Government elected by me to Tax Religious Bodies in the Nation.

and every church should be licenced with huge money before they can operate to reduce the number of churches/mosques that are making noises all over the street
I was going to make my comment but I think u have said It all .. Thank u..a family friend came back from uk and was talking about a mosque close to her house and an olds people home she said that the moaque uses sound proof glasses.. And knowing that fasting is going on..people usually come in to pray before break their fast.. The local goverment has warned that they don't want too much packing, noise and over crowding on the street cos people are living around especially the old people..and the moslems have no problem complying cos the same goes to churches.. Even africans will go worship there and like the mode of doing things.. But when u come back to africa they feel free to dumb all their craze here.. Open up religious institutions in residential and prohibited places causing noise pollution and traffic..lastma even come to ensure safe passage.. I wonder if there is urban planning and the use of the local govt.. Also the reknowned ghanaian herbalist kweku bonsam.. When he got to usa he said he could not work effectively. And attend to his clients because he has not uet gotten his work permit and his line of work was not yet inspected to see if it meets criteria.. Now that's what am talking about.. Law abiding.. We blacks have to stop li ving like we r in jungle and learn to do things orderly.. I agree with pagan9ja but where am not comfortable with is his tone.. We need to be transparent with our dealings and give fair judgments irrespective of our. Religious background.. Asides that am cool.. And also all churches.. Mosque .. Babalwao or what ever must be banned on local tv stations.. If u want to show such there r platforms or u can create your tv station.. The african masses vulnerable cos anything can just come up on tv.. Put a child to watch nta or other local channels and put a child to watch dstv..and u will see the IQ difference ! Africa is our father we r the sons.. Its our duty to protect our identity and heritage..we r too vulnerable

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Are You Thanking God For As A Nigerian? / The Pope Will Die Within A Year: Vatican's Assassination Fears Revealed / Charred Remains Of Sodom And Gomorrah Discovered (videos & Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.