Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,104 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:13 PM

How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience (2884 Views)

Is Conscience The Voice Of God In Our Hearts Of God Or the voice of the Society / History And Diplomatic Studies Students / Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by afosam4real(m): 10:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
Tens of millions of black Africans were forcibly removed from their homelands from the 16th century to the 19th century to toil on the plantations and farms of the New World. This so-called “Middle Passage” accounted for one of the greatest forced migrations of people in human history, as well as one of the greatest tragedies the world has ever witnessed.

Millions of these helpless Africans washed ashore in Brazil -- indeed, in the present-day, roughly one-half of the Brazilian population trace their lineage directly to Africa. African culture has imbued Brazil permanently and profoundly, in terms of music, dance, food and in many other tangible ways.

But what about Brazil's neighbor, Argentina? Hundreds of thousands of Africans were brought there as well – yet, the black presence in Argentina has virtually vanished from the country’s records and consciousness.

According to historical accounts, Africans first arrived in Argentina in the late 16th century in the region now called the Rio de la Plata, which includes Buenos Aires, primarily to work in agriculture and as domestic servants. By the late 18th century and early 19th century, black Africans were numerous in parts of Argentina, accounting for up to half the population in some provinces, including Santiago del Estero, Catamarca, Salta and Córdoba.

In Buenos Aires, neighborhoods like Monserrat and San Telmo housed many black slaves, some of whom were engaged in craft-making for their masters. Indeed, blacks accounted for an estimated one-third of the city’s population, according to surveys taken in the early  1800s.

Slavery was officially abolished in 1813, but the practice remained in place until about 1853. Ironically, at about this time, the black population of Argentina began to plunge.

Historians generally attribute two major factors to this sudden “mass disappearance” of black Africans from the country – the deadly war against Paraguay from 1865-1870 (in which thousands of blacks fought on the frontlines for the Argentine military) as well as various other wars; and the onset of yellow fever in Buenos Aires in 1871.

The heavy casualties suffered by black Argentines in military combat created a huge gender gap among the African population – a circumstance that appears to have led black women to mate with whites, further diluting the black population. Many other black Argentines fled to neighboring Brazil and Uruguay, which were viewed as somewhat more hospitable to them.

Others claim something more nefarious at work.

It has been alleged that the president of Argentina from 1868 to 1874, Domingo Faustino Sarmiento, sought to wipe out blacks from the country in a policy of covert genocide through extremely repressive policies (including possibly the forced recruitment of Africans into the army and by forcing blacks to remain in neighborhoods where disease would decimate them in the absence of adequate health care).

Tellingly, Sarmiento wrote in his diary in 1848: “In the United States… 4 million are black, and within 20 years will be 8 [million]…. What is [to be] done with such blacks, hated by the white race? Slavery is a parasite that the vegetation of English colonization has left attached to leafy tree of freedom.”

By 1895, there were reportedly so few blacks left in Argentina that the government did not even bother registering African-descended people in the national census.

The CIA World Factbook currently notes that Argentina is 97 percent white (primarily comprising people descended from Spanish and Italian immigrants), thereby making it the “whitest” nation in Latin America.

But blacks did not really vanish from Argentina – despite attempts by the government to eliminate them (partially by encouraging large-scale immigration in the late 19th and 20th century from Europe and the Near East). Rather, they remain a hidden and forgotten part of Argentine society.

Hisham Aidi, a lecturer at Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs, wrote on Planete Afrique that in the 1950s, when the black American entertainer Josephine Baker arrived in Argentina, she asked the mixed-race minister of public health, Ramon Carilio: “Where are the Negroes?” In response, Carilio joked: “There are only two -- you and I.”

As in virtually all Latin American societies where blacks mixed with whites and with local Indians, the question of race is extremely complex and contentious.

“People of mixed ancestry are often not considered ‘black’ in Argentina, historically, because having black ancestry was not considered proper,” said Alejandro Frigerio, an anthropologist at the Universidad Catolica de Buenos Aires, according to Planete Afrique.

“Today the term ‘negro’ is used loosely on anyone with slightly darker skin, but they can be descendants of indigenous Indians [or] Middle Eastern immigrants.”

AfricaVive, a black empowerment group founded in Buenos Aires in the late 1990s, claimed that there are 1 million Argentines of black African descent in the country (out of a total population of about 41 million). A report in the Washington Post even suggested that 10 percent of Buenos Aires’ population may have African blood (even if they are classified as “whites” by the census).

"People for years have accepted the idea that there are no black people in Argentina," Miriam Gomes, a professor of literature at the University of Buenos Aires, who is part black herself, told the Post.

"Even the schoolbooks here accepted this as a fact. But where did that leave me?"

She also explained that almost no one in Argentina with black blood in their veins will admit to it.

"Without a doubt, racial prejudice is great in this society, and people want to believe that they are white," she said. "Here, if someone has one drop of white blood, they call themselves white."

Gomes also told the San Francisco Chronicle that after many decades of white immigration into Argentina, people with African blood have been able to blend in and conceal their origins.

"Argentina's history books have been partly responsible for misinformation regarding Africans in Argentine society," she said. "Argentines say there are no blacks here. If you're looking for traditional African people with very black skin, you won't find it. African people in Argentina are of mixed heritage."

Ironically, Argentina’s most famous cultural gift to the world – the tango – came from the African influence.

"The first paintings of people dancing the tango are of people of African descent," Gomes added.

On a broader scale, the “elimination” of blacks from the country’s history and consciousness reflected the long-cherished desire of successive Argentine governments to imagine the country as an “all-white” extension of Western Europe in Latin America.

“There is a silence about the participation of Afro-Argentines in the history and building of Argentina, a silence about the enslavement and poverty,” said Paula Brufman, an Argentine law student and researcher, according to Planete Afrique.

“The denial and disdain for the Afro community shows the racism of an elite that sees Africans as undeveloped and uncivilized.”

http://www.ibtimes.com/blackout-how-argentina-eliminated-africans-its-history-conscience-1289381#.U6MW2KOhIz0.facebook

4 Likes

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by Dubby6(m): 11:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
Na this kind post dey cause malice wey go turn fight then world war
Btw since messi is frm dia, dia sins re forgiven

4 Likes

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by fr3do(m): 3:14am On Jul 14, 2014
We Africans might as well see the whites as uncivilised and uncultured (thats going well with our disdane for their homosexuality)!
If everyone (by extension race) is unfair to the other, life would be fair.

3 Likes

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by fr3do(m): 3:17am On Jul 14, 2014
Dubby6: Na this kind post dey cause malice wey go turn fight then world war
Btw since messi is frm dia, dia sins re forgiven

the third world war is likely going to be ignited by the quest for power.

1 Like

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by Antivirus92(m): 5:13am On Jul 14, 2014
But they are not really whites in actual sense. Are u telling me that aguero,romero,tevez,mascherano,di maria,lavezzi,garay are all whites with their brown skins??. There are only few whites like messi and higuain.

1 Like

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by Nobody: 6:57am On Jul 14, 2014
Interesting.....

Additonally, many Argentine blacks migrated to places like Uruguay and Brazil

Big thanks to the OP......it really is an interesting topic....one I got interested in after Farooq Kperogi raised the question in one of his articles a few years ago.

1 Like

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by Nobody: 7:03am On Jul 14, 2014
Antivirus92: But they are not really whites in actual sense. Are u telling me that aguero,romero,tevez,mascherano,di maria,lavezzi,garay are all whites with their brown skins??. There are only few whites like messi and higuain.

Well,a large population of South Americans are of mixed European-Native American ancestry (including some of those who are very white)....hence the skin tone.

But if you ask them personally, they would identify as white (Why they do that is another long and complicated story).

1 Like

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by Edwardhead(m): 7:05am On Jul 14, 2014
NO WONDER THEY HAD NO BLACK SKINNED PLAYER PLAYING FOR THEM

1 Like

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by Koolmexxi(m): 7:34am On Jul 14, 2014
And so.... What's d essence of dis post OP...? Let me guess, U were rooting against dem yesterday and most especially against Lionel....
Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by dustydee: 8:27am On Jul 14, 2014
Ironically I have been thinking about the black population in some of these south American countries in the past few weeks (influenced by the just concluded world cup). I found out that Agentina had the lowest black population of all the countries I looked at.

1 Like

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by Antivirus92(m): 9:09am On Jul 14, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Well,a large population of South Americans are of mixed European-Native American ancestry (including some of those who are very white)....hence the skin tone.

But if you ask them personally, they would identify as white (Why they do that is another long and complicated story).
just like that woman said that anyone with a drop of white blood in argentina claims to be a white. They should go to scandinevia(europe) to see what a white man looks like. Bunch of brown racists!

2 Likes

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by CyrusLevi(m): 1:38pm On Jul 14, 2014
No wonder,I couldn't find a black player on the bench or field of Argentina.

All European countries,except Russia that represented at the world cup all had black players,with Holland having the highest.

1 Like

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by ChristineC: 1:41pm On Jul 14, 2014
Lol @ the people with a drop of white blood

They can deceive themselves all they want, the worst ailment that can befall a man is self-deceit

4 Likes

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jul 14, 2014
Another factor: Argentines are VERY pro-nazi too. After world war 2, it was the ONLY nation that granted nazis fleeing for war crimes asylum and its believed that their treasure hoards are still there. Many of them settled and developed their movements there.

2 Likes

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by Harmvirus(f): 4:18pm On Jul 14, 2014
Interesting.. So Di Maria might have Fulani descendent
Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by iammodel(m): 4:27pm On Jul 14, 2014
Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by traware(m): 5:00pm On Jul 14, 2014
Koolmexxi: And so.... What's d essence of dis post OP...? Let me guess, U were rooting against dem yesterday and most especially against Lionel....
Dumb post. @OP Welldone.I've learnt something new today

1 Like

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by traware(m): 5:13pm On Jul 14, 2014
Antivirus92: just like that woman said that anyone with a drop of white blood in argentina claims to be a white. They should go to scandinevia(europe) to see what a white man looks like. Bunch of brown racists!
Sir,the people in this part of the world can't really point fingers at them because we have thesame mindset towards gays and other ethnic groups.I lie?Intolerance is intolerance.There is no difference

1 Like

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by Antivirus92(m): 5:29pm On Jul 14, 2014
traware: Sir,the people in this part of the world can't really point fingers at them because we have thesame mindset towards gays and other ethnic groups.I lie?Intolerance is intolerance.There is no difference
so what are u saying in essence? Evil must be condemned. E-wars on nairaland most times don't reflect in real life.
Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by afosam4real(m): 5:30pm On Jul 14, 2014
Koolmexxi: And so.... What's d essence of dis post OP...? Let me guess, U were rooting against dem yesterday and most especially against Lionel....

Hello young man,the post is meant for those who want to learn in order to increase their knowledge base and not really for folks like you... I'm sure you know what I mean. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by Csami(m): 5:54pm On Jul 14, 2014
CyrusLevi: No wonder,I couldn't find a black player on the bench or field of Argentina.

All European countries,except Russia that represented at the world cup all had black players,with Holland having the highest.

what will you say about France team?
Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by traware(m): 6:18pm On Jul 14, 2014
Antivirus92: so what are u saying in essence? Evil must be condemned. E-WARS ON NAIRALAND MOST TIMES DON'T REFLECT IN REAL LIFE.
You're either joking or delusional.The misogyny,homophobia,religious and ethnic stereotypes and prejudices,transference of anger,ignorance and intolerance to ideas different from others we view everyday on Nairaland reflects the real and daily existence in Nigeria.In essence,Nairaland is a microcosym of Nigeria.No be lie Sir

1 Like

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by GooseBaba: 6:28pm On Jul 14, 2014
OP, thanks for sharing such information.

They really did a good job in distorting the black man's historical contributions in Argentina. The last thought that would come to my mind is "black race" in this country. But then again, some Africans continues to under value themselves. Bleaching their skin, distorting their history and condemning their ancestors, and through religious indoctrination they see the white race as superior... . Smh... the list is endless.

To the extent that a black person with a single drop of white connection proclaims themselves as white. this is inferiority complex reloaded.But I don't blame them. If Africans cannot take pride in their heritage or lineage why should someone living in a society that discriminates against darker skin tone take pride in it.

Anyways, we learn everyday.. The Gods are wise...

4 Likes

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by CyrusLevi(m): 7:55pm On Jul 14, 2014
Csami:

what will you say about France team?
The french have black players.
Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by Sabadon(m): 8:10pm On Jul 14, 2014
Negritude....black is original #no racism
Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by sarmiie(m): 8:23pm On Jul 14, 2014
GooseBaba: OP, thanks for sharing such information.

They really did a good job in distorting the black man's historical contributions in Argentina. The last thought that would come to my mind is "black race" in this country. But then again, some Africans continues to under value themselves. Bleaching their skin, distorting their history and condemning their ancestors, and through religious indoctrination they see the white race as superior... . Smh... the list is endless.

To the extent that a black person with a single drop of white connection proclaims themselves as white. this is inferiority complex reloaded.But I don't blame them. If Africans cannot take pride in their heritage or lineage why should someone living in a society that discriminates against darker skin tone take pride in it.

Anyways, we learn everyday.. The Gods are wise...

bless u,man.....u spoke sage words.
D fact tho is dt racism'll never stop. D sooner we develop a thick skin,d better off we'll be.
Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by acenazt: 8:49pm On Jul 14, 2014
The Argentines Murdered and Buried the Slaves after slavery was Abolished.
Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by Angeldemivida: 8:51pm On Jul 14, 2014
Am I the only that don't like that Africans chose of all colours to call themselves it's "Black?" Black connotes darkness, absence of light. It almost sounds negative and the next minute the ones that chose to call themselves "whites" look down on us Africans we arise to address it.
You called yourselves blacks in the first place so keep dealing with the negativity you attributed to yourselves until you arise and answer a positive name.
Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by mesoade(m): 8:54pm On Jul 14, 2014
I though as much . . Dat argentina's player real name is ADEROJO . . He wan deceive us say e no b yoruba descendant he cum ryt only ROJO . .
Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by traware(m): 10:35pm On Jul 14, 2014
Angeldemivida: Am I the only that don't like that Africans chose of all colours to call themselves it's "Black?" Black connotes darkness, absence of light. It almost sounds negative and the next minute the ones that chose to call themselves "whites" look down on us Africans we arise to address it.
You called yourselves blacks in the first place so keep dealing with the negativity you attributed to yourselves until you arise and answer a positive name.
I am very sure your pastor told you this garbage.I love the colour Black,I love the darkness of the night,I love being a Black African and the colour Black is my favourite colour.If you don't share my sentiments then its too bad for you.I repeat,there is nothing wrong with the colour Black.Don't let anyone convince you that there is.Acquire some knowledge about your ancestry man.'Goosebaba' has already stated it all

1 Like

Re: How Argentina ‘eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience by Angeldemivida: 11:13pm On Jul 14, 2014
I love the way we Africans are made. Never subscribed to slavery or segregation. I only differ from you on the notion that our forefathers should have risen up to the segregation in the first place by refusing to be branded with a hue/colour that sounds negative to the ear and placed the ones that branded themselves "white" on a more positive side of the colour branding from where they sit and look down on the ones they branded "blacks" in contrast to their white selves.

(1) (2) (Reply)

JAMB Posting:the Rumour People Have Been Carrying Which Is 100% False(comfirmed) / ASUU Suspends Strike / Is Rome Business School Fake?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.