Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,734 members, 7,806,010 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:10 AM

What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? (16606 Views)

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 14, 2014
A taboo is a vehement prohibition of an action based on the belief that such behavior is either too sacred or too accursed for ordinary individuals to undertake and often accompanied with threat of supernatural punishment.
In ikwerre land, in Rivers state, it is a taboo to have sex on the floor. And it is also forbidden for a woman whose husband is still alive to eat with a knife.
In Osogbo, Osun State, it is a taboo to sit on mortar. Anyone who sits on it will not be able to stand up again again for the rest of his or her life.
I remember then my mum would tell me that, if I should look at the mirror while rain is falling and the thunder should strike I will fall dead. Well till now I've not tried it though.
So peeps what are some taboo you know of?

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 14, 2014
kissI dont even know my village...

16 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Tallesty1(m): 2:31pm On Jul 14, 2014
Married women no dey bleep outside marriage, the punishment is instant death, madness or mysterious ailment.

6 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Tannie(f): 2:45pm On Jul 14, 2014
JohnnyNY: A taboo is a vehement prohibition of an action based on the belief that such behavior is either too sacred or too accursed for ordinary individuals to undertake and often accompanied with threat of supernatural punishment.
In ikwerre land, in Rivers state, it is a taboo to have sex on the floor. And it is also forbidden for a woman whose husband is still alive to eat with a knife.
In Osogbo, Osun State, it is a taboo to sit on mortar. Anyone who sits on it will not be able to stand up again again for the rest of his or her life.
I remember then my mum would tell me that, if I should look at the mirror while rain is falling and the thunder should strike I will fall dead. Well till now I've not tried it though.

Op I'm an Ikwerre girl, I've not hear of the bolded before. The taboos I've heard of are "Female dogs are not allowed in my community (dont know if its applicable to other parts of Ikwerre) and its forbidden for a guy to use walking stick when he's dad is still alive".

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 14, 2014
Taboo? am living my life d way i like, am not under any..

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 14, 2014
I don't live my life on man made law,I live it the way I like,with restriction I created myself,not by anybody,or god that has ceased to exist for a very long time.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Prowizy2(m): 3:28pm On Jul 14, 2014
In my place its a taboo for a visitor to ask for pillow. You'll wake up in the middle of the night sleeping on a python

7 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 14, 2014
I heard it's a taboo for a girl who gets pregnant out of wedlock to give her father drinking water or food
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 14, 2014
Where i come from.... Its a taboo for a man(even if he's 2yrs) to sweep when a woman is there....
Its also a taboo to post 'First to Comment' on NL sha.. grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Crixie(m): 6:11am On Jul 20, 2014
Killing non poisonous snakes....

1 Like

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jul 20, 2014
Its a taboo to swim/fish/fetch in the village stream after dark

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by justi4jesu(f): 5:07am On Jul 21, 2014
Cant remember
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by kombats: 5:11am On Jul 21, 2014

1) Incest guess is almost a taboo in every village
2) Sweeping in the night
3) Dont know the rest cos i don blive in the except in one in the HOLY QURAN and HOLY book.

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:11am On Jul 21, 2014
For my place ehn! It's a taboo for a guy to visit ashawo joint

1 Like

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:12am On Jul 21, 2014
Zedric: Its a taboo to swim/fish/fetch in the village stream after dark
Swim?? Is it a swimming pool?
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:13am On Jul 21, 2014
Prowizy2: In my place its a taboo for a visitor to ask for pillow. You'll wake up in the middle of the night sleeping on a python
What f u bring ur own pillow from Lagos to village?

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:14am On Jul 21, 2014
DrHesjay: Where i come from.... Its a taboo for a man(even if he's 2yrs) to sweep when a woman is there....
Its also a taboo to post 'First to Comment' on NL sha.. grin grin grin
What if she's ur mom?

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Afam4eva(m): 5:14am On Jul 21, 2014
In my village, it's a taboo is sleep with someone's wife.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:15am On Jul 21, 2014
Youngreinhard: kissI dont even know my village...
Eeya! Lost pikin

12 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by arshavineering(m): 5:15am On Jul 21, 2014
Odilafta: I heard it's a taboo for a girl who gets pregnant out of wedlock to give her father drinking water or food
nna nawa oooo...where you from abeg

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:15am On Jul 21, 2014
Afam4eva: In my village, it's a taboo is sleep with someone's wife.
What if the husband had passed?
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Afam4eva(m): 5:17am On Jul 21, 2014
pussyeater:
What if the husband had passed?
His wife has to mourn the husband for a considerable amount of time before she can start opening he legs again.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:17am On Jul 21, 2014
arshavineering:
nna nawa oooo...where you from abeg
What if the pregnancy is 2weeks old and she hadn't found out yet?

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:18am On Jul 21, 2014
Afam4eva:
His wife has to mourn the husband for a considerable amount of time before she can start opening he legs again.
So, how's that a taboo if she go finally open leg again?

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Afam4eva(m): 5:19am On Jul 21, 2014
pussyeater:
So, how's that a taboo if she'll finally open leg again?
The whole idea is that she should not open her legs for another man while her husband is still alive or when she's still mourning her husband. he legs must remain shut until further notice.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by tropaz(m): 5:20am On Jul 21, 2014
Yahoo yahoo.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:22am On Jul 21, 2014
JohnnyNY: A taboo is a vehement prohibition of an action based on the belief that such behavior is either too sacred or too accursed for ordinary individuals to undertake and often accompanied with threat of supernatural punishment.
The toto no sweet ni so tey u no go knw wen una go enter floor

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 5:23am On Jul 21, 2014
Don't kill a boa snake in my village, or you will be in soup! Okro to be precise!

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by pussyeater(m): 5:24am On Jul 21, 2014
Afam4eva:
The whole idea is that she should not open her legs for another man while her husband is still alive or when she's still mourning her husband. he legs must remain shut until further notice.
Meaning she can't even use a Vibrator?? O boy I fear ur villa oh!

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Badmushazan: 5:24am On Jul 21, 2014
Study law!
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Adeoba10(m): 5:24am On Jul 21, 2014
You must not whistle while going to the river, or else different snakes will attack you.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Abuniga(m): 5:24am On Jul 21, 2014
mtseew

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do African's Love Asian People? / Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties / Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.