Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,801 members, 7,806,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? (16684 Views)

Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. / Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? / Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Bwaal(m): 9:28am On Jul 15, 2014
Bleep culture Bleep religion Bleep respect left rockz
let me give u a check of 1million dollar wiff my left hand and see mayb u will tell mie itz wrong to give wiff left hand

4 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by turl(m): 9:28am On Jul 15, 2014
MzMariah: That's how I was disgraced when I went for my friend's wedding. I do everything with my left hand and its not my fault.

I was eating when an elderly woman came and shouted at me saying " why you dey eat with your left hand, your mama no teach you say name right hand people dey use? so my friend came out and said aunty abeg leave her o, na so she be. all her life na left hand, her right hand just dey useless. na only support her right hand dey give her and her papa too na leftie o'. I was so embarrassed and the way this Benin women talk, chai........ I was embarrassed o, I really was embarassed

Well, this is who I am sha, I was born this way and I did not create myself.
lol eya sorry. I'm a leftie too. I eat with my left as well but eat swallow with my right though. I do pretty much every other thing with my left.
I never really had any issues explaining to people I was left handed when they brought up the issue with how I eat. Everybody just saw me as the weird kid that did things differently but i never got attacked for it...well not for being left handed anyway.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by bigemmmybig(m): 9:30am On Jul 15, 2014
Jamean:

some people are just overbearing..did the faeces stay on the hand permanently..was it not washed? Don't people use their right hand to do more dirty and unimaginable things...smh

dats life ooo. some ppl jst take simple tins so serious like their life depends on it

2 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Bwaal(m): 9:31am On Jul 15, 2014
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Bwaal(m): 9:32am On Jul 15, 2014
Bwaal: F*ck culture f*ck religion f*ck respect left rockz
let me give u a check of 1million dollar wiff my left hand and see mayb u will tell mie itz wrong to give wiff left hand

My contribution here is dat what ever people say its wrong we all belive itz wrong tomorrow wen dey come again and say itz right we will still follow
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by AdeniyiA(m): 9:36am On Jul 15, 2014
just consider the dirty things we do with our left hands cheesy
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Vicfus(m): 9:38am On Jul 15, 2014
matify:

A wonderful escatology and educating piece succinctly pen-down.
Are you related to Hon. Patrick? Lol grin

2 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by smudge2079(m): 9:44am On Jul 15, 2014
Jamean:

Lolzzz..O ye doubting Thomas, you better believe it
Ok.. I 'll try
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 15, 2014
turl:
lol eya sorry. I'm a leftie too. I eat with my left as well but eat swallow with my right though. I do pretty much every other thing with my left.
I never really had any issues explaining to people I was left handed when they brought up the issue with how I eat. Everybody just saw me as the weird kid that did things differently but i never got attacked for it...well not for being left handed anyway.
My grandparents are left handed too, my dad is from a family of 7 and 6 are left handed, my dad is left handed too so its not my fault I am. that woman just .........I hated myself that day. she did not even say it inside but outside. embarassed
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by dakotchic(f): 9:59am On Jul 15, 2014
turl:
Please why are you two making it look like some form of deformity? I'm left handed and very proud, we are usually the smartest of our peerscheesy i'm a living proof

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by dakotchic(f): 10:00am On Jul 15, 2014
turl:
Please why are you two making it look like some form of deformity? I'm left handed and very proud, we are usually the smartest of our peerscheesy
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Ograke(m): 10:06am On Jul 15, 2014
fijiano202: I believe this is more attributed to religion than reality cos in nigeria and the world itself culture and religion works hand in glove..Biblically the right hand is regarded as a sign of strength and honor and also sitting at the right hand side of someone means u are highly honoured..like the christains believes that Jesus sits at the right hand of God which makes him next to God,Although the bible never mentioned left handed people as lesser people but people still believe the right hand is more honored..left handed people are not much in the bible,the most popular left-handed person in the bible is Ehud Judges chapter 3 and also Judges 20:16...the bible refers to left hand as an advantage cos people with left hand are mostly warriors....the left means plenty things in diff language - in latin left means sinister which means evil ,in french left is gauche which means awkward...in Local /traditional belief Right hand is called hand of peace
Well,I don't know of other traditions but in Yorubaland the left hand is the one regarded as the hand of peace.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 10:07am On Jul 15, 2014
Aphrodite4:
Lol.. Nice..
Not enough though
its enough,"everything seems to be right with d right hand. Why is Jesus sitteth on d right hand of GOD? why nt left hand?
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by jobsat34(m): 10:09am On Jul 15, 2014
MzMariah: That's how I was disgraced when I went for my friend's wedding. I do everything with my left hand and its not my fault.

I was eating when an elderly woman came and shouted at me saying " why you dey eat with your left hand, your mama no teach you say name right hand people dey use? so my friend came out and said aunty abeg leave her o, na so she be. all her life na left hand, her right hand just dey useless. na only support her right hand dey give her and her papa too na leftie o'. I was so embarrassed and the way this Benin women talk, chai........ I was embarrassed o, I really was embarassed

so we be same same self.. anyway, i can use both hand perfectly (depending on the activity sha), just that i would prefer my left..
the day i tried eating with my right hand in an occasion, i ended up messing up myself...
so whoever says left hand is bad/evil/curse should just sever it.. angry angry angry angry
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by pawapo: 10:13am On Jul 15, 2014
jobsat34:

so we be same same self.. anyway, i can use both hand perfectly (depending on the activity sha), just that i would prefer my left..
the day i tried eating with my right hand in an occasion, i ended up messing up myself...
so whoever says left hand is bad/evil/curse should just sever it.. angry angry angry angry

If given kool cash wit left mayb u go reject am.....abegggiiii ts bullshit
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 10:14am On Jul 15, 2014
jobsat34:

grin
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Decibel: 10:15am On Jul 15, 2014
mifavour: ..... Ftc
Instead of contributing to the article, you're here shouting FTC.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by jobsat34(m): 10:15am On Jul 15, 2014
pawapo:

If given kool cash wit left mayb u go reject am.....abegggiiii ts bullshit

me ?? ??... are yu putting on this cool ?? i be confirm southpaw naa
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by pastie(m): 10:21am On Jul 15, 2014
grin
smudge2079: Left hand is for wiping d ass, dont u dare give me dat.

Guy u funny
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 15, 2014

Don't know specifically about benin, But I know that most Edo mothers don't train their children well but they expect other people's children to show them respect.

2 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Adenugay(m): 10:25am On Jul 15, 2014
facts

The Nigerian Health Sector; Just Before The Waterloo >>> http://www..com/the-nigerian-health-sector/
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by iheneme(m): 10:26am On Jul 15, 2014
It is understandable if one is left-handed; it is not their making. I think it's okay if a left-handed person chooses to use their left hand to eat or do any other thing not involving the second party. I once had an arrogant boss who would practically fling documents at me with his left hand (he is not naturally left-handed). One day I summoned courage to receive with my left hand too. I almost got a query for that. But I made sure I put my message across - give with left, I receive with left; give with right, I receive with right. After all what is good for Bulus is also good for Bala.

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by judedwriter(m): 10:31am On Jul 15, 2014
9jvirgin: The right hand is more honorable, left hand is awkward. People have conditioned their minds to these beliefs.
It bothers me-seems we have been brainwashed by this tradition. I have been highly embarrassed when my left hand was rejected-though I can't find this practice in d scriptures. so I conclude its just our tradition. Bothers me though sad

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by KMB: 10:43am On Jul 15, 2014
Case closed next topic cool

fijiano202: I believe this is more attributed to religion than reality cos in nigeria and the world itself culture and religion works hand in glove..Biblically the right hand is regarded as a sign of strength and honor and also sitting at the right hand side of someone means u are highly honoured..like the christains believes that Jesus sits at the right hand of God which makes him next to God,Although the bible never mentioned left handed people as lesser people but people still believe the right hand is more honored..left handed people are not much in the bible,the most popular left-handed person in the bible is Ehud Judges chapter 3 and also Judges 20:16...the bible refers to left hand as an advantage cos people with left hand are mostly warriors....the left means plenty things in diff language - in latin left means sinister which means evil ,in french left is gauche which means awkward...in Local /traditional belief Right hand is called hand of peace
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 15, 2014
I was once even scolded for reaching out to give money with my right hand- right hand ooo! Because according to the man, I gave it in a disrespectful manner. Nobody around me at that moment saw anything wrong with what or how I did it- just that man. I totally lost my respect for him since that day. I think that africans have an inbuilt inferiority complex and depend on signs,greeting postures or whatever to keep themselves feeling respected and relevant. If they don't have that, they'll get high bp or probably die! To the person who said westerners don't have greeting culture, they actually do but they've been taught not to greet strangers to avoid conversations with crime perpetrators.

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by eyenCalabar(m): 10:51am On Jul 15, 2014

Nice piece. But a little correction here: The Bible saying that Jesus sits at the right hand of God doesn't mean He sits at the right hand side of God. There's different between that two. What the Bible says in essence there is that Jesus is sitting in God's position of authority and not necessarily which direction (left, right or centre). For instance, if I say this guy is my right hand man. That means you can deal with him on my behalf. It means I have entrusted my authority on him. He can acts in my place etc. Hope that makes some sense.

5 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 15, 2014
Come take a hug sweetie ...lol.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can The Irunmoles Incarnate As Orishas? / Aina: A Yoruba Term Of EuroAsian Origin / Igogo Festival Shuts Down Akure City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.