Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,719 members, 7,802,167 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? (8282 Views)

What Is The Porsche 911 Cabrio Like To Drive? / Porsche Panamera GT As An Official Car In Nigeria! / Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 7:54pm On Jul 19, 2014
CityNG, will the 944S fit into the 944...how about the 944 turbo swap?
in Nigeria, I don't know whether I would find the Buik 215 v8, or a Chevrolet's V8 for the 944.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 7:56pm On Jul 19, 2014
tdie: Chai... you got my appetite all whetted up, Unfortunately, the owners of the Merc that I was interested in refused to sell :-(.
Where are you based? Wouldn't mind popping into your town when you do start the project.

I just saw this post, I'm in Port Harcourt. Sure, you'll be highly welcomed, lots of pepper soup (but no beer),lol.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 19, 2014
yungboss: CityNG, will the 944S fit into the 944...how about the 944 turbo swap?
in Nigeria, I don't know whether I would find the Buik 215 v8, or a Chevrolet's V8 for the 944.

Both the above engines will fit. The DME system changed though, different between pre-facelift and facelift cars. Later again in 1989, the DME system changed yet again, with different fuse box and connectors.

So make sure you pick an engine from a car the same age as yours.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 19, 2014
Siena:

Both the above engines will fit. The DME system changed though, different between pre-facelift and facelift cars. Later again in 1989, the DME system changed yet again, with different fuse box and connectors.

So make sure you pick an engine from a car the same age as yours.

If at all possible whenever I'm doing swaps I just take the whole car.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jul 19, 2014
CityNG:

If at all possible whenever I'm doing swaps I just take the whole car.

The best route to take. That way, that obscure part is always available.

1 Like

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 20, 2014
yungboss: CityNG, will the 944S fit into the 944...how about the 944 turbo swap?

I will defer to my esteem colleague Siena if you're going to go the part of using a Porsche engine.

I'm the type that the purists don't appreciate because I almost never upgrade cars with engines from the original marque.

My Peugeot STX with turbo was the only one in memory that had an engine from the same manufacturer. I lost the engine and my local mechanic shop just happened to have a turbo engine from another 505 in his shop and he did the work.

When I did my Mazda B2200, I used a Ford V8 running gear from a Mustang. I find that approach works better for me but makes the purists cringe.

So that been said I think you should wait to see if this engine will run. The 944, as Siena attested to, has 50/50 weight balance with the original power train.

Should you decide to go the alternative route, bookmark this url

http://www.renegadehybrids.com these guys wrote the book on 944 engine swaps.

http://www.944transformations.com/home1/ is another outfit.

I'm sorry YungBoss but frankly unless the existing engine is totally bad then if you decide to swap the engine I just don't see why you would limit yourself to another less potent engine from Porsche.

You can buy a crate LS1like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp38313ct1/overview/ that can give you 450hp stock and you can always massage it to get another 100hp easily.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 1:19am On Jul 20, 2014
Oh believe me, CityNG, I love to upset the purists. The only reason I'm not running an LS7 crate motor is cost. There are always better engines than the ones from our respective marques.

It's nice to be different, while the purists gnash their teeth, screaming sacrilege. cool

1 Like

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 5:08am On Jul 20, 2014
CityNG:

I will defer to my esteem colleague Siena if you're going to go the part of using a Porsche engine.

I'm the type that the purists don't appreciate because I almost never upgrade cars with engines from the original marque.

My Peugeot STX with turbo was the only one in memory that had an engine from the same manufacturer. I lost the engine and my local mechanic shop just happened to have a turbo engine from another 505 in his shop and he did the work.

When I did my Mazda B2200, I used a Ford V8 running gear from a Mustang. I find that approach works better for me but makes the purists cringe.

So that been said I think you should wait to see if this engine will run. The 944, as Siena attested to, has 50/50 weight balance with the original power train.

Should you decide to go the alternative route, bookmark this url

http://www.renegadehybrids.com these guys wrote the book on 944 engine swaps.

http://www.944transformations.com/home1/ is another outfit.

I'm sorry YungBoss but frankly unless the existing engine is totally bad then if you decide to swap the engine I just don't see why you would limit yourself to another less potent engine from Porsche.

You can buy a crate LS1like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp38313ct1/overview/ that can give you 450hp stock and you can always massage it to get another 100hp easily.
I opened the link, what a good way to blast into the realm of super power. But my apprehension about that kind of swap is parts replacements. Can the transition/transformation be made with the original engine dme?
if it's going to be easy as the allusion in the link, I may just give it a try....after all, it won't be a daily driver.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 20, 2014
yungboss:
I opened the link, what a good way to blast into the realm of super power. But my apprehension about that kind of swap is parts replacements. Can the transition/transformation be made with the original engine dme?
if it's going to be easy as the allusion in the link, I may just give it a try....after all, it won't be a daily driver.

The Porsche's DME will NOT be compatible with the LS motor. For one, the LS has 8 cylinders to control, your DME will control 4. A crate LS will be supplied with its own wiring harness and ECU.

Yeah, a Porsche 944 motor will be the easiest swap, but to me, that is reinventing the wheel (which is already round). An LS swap will take more time, money and effort, but ultimately will be more rewarding and unique once done.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 20, 2014
Trying to keep OP motivated.

Some pictures I took on a track day.

Pic 1: A perfect 968 complete with street rash. Car not mine.
Pic 2: Same car
Pic 3: A bevy of Porsches. I got a ride in the yellow GT3. Let me just say if you have the opportunity to ride on a closed track in a GT3, please do so. Car not mine.
Pic 4: 67 Mustang. Someone stated that they don't know what my background was. Well I'll answer in yoruba. "Igi imu esin, ojina si eti e" grin

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 11:20pm On Jul 20, 2014
Nice pics, who's the big man in the Mustang...i love the 968's rear looks, the the 944 looks better in front
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jul 20, 2014
yungboss: Nice pics, who's the big man in the Mustang...i love the 968's rear looks, the the 944 looks better in front

The big man would be me. If it were i Nigeria I would be in the very uncomfortable owners corner cheesy

What about the rear spoiler, which one do you prefer?

1 Like

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 11:32pm On Jul 20, 2014
CityNG:

The big man would be me. If it were i Nigeria I would be in the very uncomfortable owners corner cheesy

lol@the big man...the 968
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 11:33pm On Jul 20, 2014
CityNG:

though the rear looks like an old Datsun cheesy
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 11:35pm On Jul 20, 2014
CityNG: Trying to keep OP motivated.

Some pictures I took on a track day.

Pic 1: A perfect 968 complete with street rash. Car not mine.
Pic 2: Same car
Pic 3: A bevy of Porsches. I got a ride in the yellow GT3. Let me just say if you have the opportunity to ride on a closed track in a GT3, please do so. Car not mine.
Pic 4: 67 Mustang. Someone stated that they don't know what my background was. Well I'll answer in yoruba. "Igi imu esin, ojina si eti e" grin
looks like an autoX event
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jul 20, 2014
yungboss:
looks like an autoX event

You're right, my other hobby is photography and I go to a lot of car shows and autoX.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 8:48am On Jul 21, 2014
CityNG:

You're right, my other hobby is photography and I go to a lot of car shows and autoX.
you are somorin#1
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 9:59am On Jul 21, 2014
grin
lomomike: you are somorin#1
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 21, 2014
yungboss: grin
Walahi, I've been observing his posts patterns and comparing it side by side with somorin's, his villageheadmaster's webpage is same with somorin's when did somorin visit nairaland last? January, when did cityNG start nairaland, no so long ago, how did he start, he didn't even start like a new bee, his inaugural post was good.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 10:44am On Jul 21, 2014
lomomike:
Walahi, I've been observing his posts patterns and comparing it side by side with somorin's, his villageheadmaster's webpage is same with somorin's when did somorin visit nairaland last? January, when did cityNG start nairaland, no so long ago, how did he start, he didn't even start like a new bee, his inaugural post was good.
grin grin grin
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 21, 2014
yungboss:
grin grin grin

Should have probably reached out to you to help sort out my login issues.

Is there an email to reach NL customer service?
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jul 21, 2014
Busted you are right...Somorin also has roots in IB just like CityNG....good observation!

lomomike:

1 Like

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 21, 2014
CityNG:

Should have probably reached out to you to help sort out my login issues.

Is there an email to reach NL customer service?
Brother man, AKA somorin#1 welcome home. cheesy I was in Ibadan last week smiley.... Back to thread I no wan derail this thread
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jul 21, 2014
smartchoice: Busted you are right...Somorin also has roots in IB just like CityNG....good observation!

Busted?

The IPs are tracked by NL.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 12:24pm On Jul 21, 2014
Siena: Nice choice of cars, CityNG.

On a side note though, you really remind me of my brother Somorin1. Similar knowledge level, and passion for the older models. Are you one and the same?
ok...number 2 hint
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jul 21, 2014
yungboss:

I missed this post.

1) Those guys are in the business of selling you stuff so they have to encourage you. No swap is going to be easy but it will never be easier than by using their kits. They and customers have done hundreds of this so no matter what you get stuck on they would have seen it before and solved it.

2) Sienas go it. The engine control will be new. The last swap I did I ripped out the electronic doohickies and just went to Holley carburetors. Was easier for me but fuel injection is almost always better. The aftermarket engine controls are very good now, just supply power, wire a few things and Bobs Your Uncle. They can do more of course but your engine will start and hen you can tweak to your hearts content.

3) For me, since US is my base the I can walk into any parts store sand get parts. You have to give this due consideration for Nigeria. The good thing though is that once you finished then you should not really have to be replacing too many parts, just simple oil changes and spark plugs changes, etc

The rewards are high but I don't want you to underestimate the potential expense and "issues" that comes with swaps.

If it were me I would try to sort out the original engine (not rebuild but at least try to see if it has good compression numbers).
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 21, 2014
http://www.engineswapdepot.com

They are looking for international engine swaps grin

"We are looking for engine swaps outside the United States. If have an interesting project or know of someone who does please use the contact page to let us know."
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 21, 2014
so your exact point?

CityNG:

Busted?

The IPs are tracked by NL.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 21, 2014
smartchoice: so your exact point?

The point (if indeed he needed to make one, I personally don't think he does) is that he's Somorin, IP's are tracked on this site, so he wasn't exactly hiding behind a new ID.

1 Like

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 21, 2014
smartchoice: so your exact point?

Read between the lines.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 1:44pm On Jul 21, 2014
CityNG:

I missed this post.

1) Those guys are in the business of selling you stuff so they have to encourage you. No swap is going to be easy but it will never be easier than by using their kits. They and customers have done hundreds of this so no matter what you get stuck on they would have seen it before and solved it.

2) Sienas go it. The engine control will be new. The last swap I did I ripped out the electronic doohickies and just went to Holley carburetors. Was easier for me but fuel injection is almost always better. The aftermarket engine controls are very good now, just supply power, wire a few things and Bobs Your Uncle. They can do more of course but your engine will start and hen you can tweak to your hearts content.

3) For me, since US is my base the I can walk into any parts store sand get parts. You have to give this due consideration for Nigeria. The good thing though is that once you finished then you should not really have to be replacing too many parts, just simple oil changes and spark plugs changes, etc

The rewards are high but I don't want you to underestimate the potential expense and "issues" that comes with swaps.

If it were me I would try to sort out the original engine (not rebuild but at least try to see if it has good compression numbers).
okay...I'll look in the direction of the last paragraph
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 21, 2014
I can only see empty space inbetween the lines... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

CityNG:

Read between the lines.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

No Duty Payment No Plate Number Issuance - Customsng / Have You Ever Fooled Your Mechanic? / I Have A Check Engine Problem 2000 Mazda 626 Es/lx

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.