Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,543 members, 7,801,514 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? (8280 Views)

What Is The Porsche 911 Cabrio Like To Drive? / Porsche Panamera GT As An Official Car In Nigeria! / Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by auhanson(m): 7:32pm On Jul 21, 2014
Just to add to this my Yungboss: Dude, dont change that engine from what it is to another brand, in order not to lose the porsche flavour, rather rebuild it with very close supervision to make sure that the techi get it right especially when it has to do with measurement of the diameter of the bores, slip rings , metals, crank shaft, tulips, valves, gasket, connector rods etc, and their material quality(this is where our techis usually goes wrong when not supervised with keen interest) . This will last you just like a new engine of that nature, if only you can supervise it to the letter. A 350 hp ride of the 80s is no "beans".. and dont be discouraged.

Good luck

CityNG:

Without seeing pictures and knowing how some Nigerians have total disregard for vehicle maintenance I will be holding my judgement until you post pics.

Now, the 924 and then the 944 were trend setters when they were released. They were technological powerhouses (as things go maybe even a Kia Sephia has more horsepower than that now) and were the talk of the automotive town back then.

I would restore one but I have already checked off the 924/944 from my bucket list and there are other cars to be sampled.

A good engine candidate is if you can get your hands on a Buick 215 V8, it was used in many British vehicles like the Rovers. This engine can be rebuilt to make huge horsepower (I have a friend with a 750hp). It's all alloy so very lightweight (there may be some steel block though) and should be very cheap in Nigeria (Land Rovers have them). The engine is even lighter than the I4 that Porsche used.

So unless something is totally wrong with this car then it's an automotive buy.

Another thing that I do is to speculate. Buy the car, clean it up, do easy repairs/upgrades and then see if you can flip it. I am sure there's going to be a German in Nigeria that may want it for Sunday cruises. I say this because once you remove the engine and start dismantling it looses value totally until it is completed.

Re sobrique, I know nothing of what you speak of, I'm but an "unknown and faceless Nairalander" grin cheesy wink
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 21, 2014
auhanson: Just to add to this my Yungboss: Dude, dont change that engine from what it is to another brand, in order not to lose the porsche flavour, rather rebuild it with very close supervision to make sure that the techi get it right especially when it has to do with measurement of the diameter of the bores, slip rings , metals, crank shaft, tulips, valves, gasket, connector rods etc, and their material quality(this is where our techis usually goes wrong when not supervised with keen interest) . This will last you just like a new engine of that nature, if only you can supervise it to the letter. A 350 hp ride of the 80s is no "beans".. and dont be discouraged.

Good luck

350hp? In what? Not the 944. Very few mere mortal cars had 350hp in those days.

Even the last of the 944s had only 250hp and the early ones had only 150hp. What they had was superior handling due to the 50/50 weight split.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by DECOtech(m): 10:29pm On Jul 21, 2014
smartchoice: I can only see empty space inbetween the lines... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Guy! ...I won't let you kill me with laughter.

1 Like

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 21, 2014
DECOtech: Guy! ...I won't let you kill me with laughter.

Abi you no hear am? He wan kill person for chair grin

1 Like

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 23, 2014
bringatrailer dot com/2014/07/22/28-years-owned-37k-mile-1984-porsche-944/

In case I go missing, send help cause spambot likes to ban me if I post a linky.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 4:13pm On Jul 23, 2014
CityNG: bringatrailer dot com/2014/07/22/28-years-owned-37k-mile-1984-porsche-944/

In case I go missing, send help cause spambot likes to ban me if I post a linky.
lol, you will not go missing sir.

1 Like

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 3:30am On Aug 24, 2014
I saw this today in my area and I thought of this project.

This is the status of this car. A 1986 is still being asked almost $4.5k for.

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 24, 2014
Looks good on the outside.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 4:40pm On Aug 24, 2014
Nice red, is it a 944S?
after paying for d ride, those guys gave me a refund and attributed the situation to "certain things" at stake, according to them,I'll be informed once things are sorted...(who knows what the matter is).
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 25, 2014
I didn't take note. I was put off by the price to even do further research.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Fifa14Full: 4:49am On Aug 30, 2014
If You've played Need for Speed 5 Porsche Unleashed pc game then you'll have known much more about porshe.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 4:58am On Aug 30, 2014
Fifa14Full: If You've played Need for Speed 5 Porsche Unleashed pc game then you'll have known much more about porshe.

Really? Oh jeez wheeze you don't say?

I'll have to do just that wink

I didn't know that studying a marque, buying 2 models of that marque. modifying one of them by replacing the engine with another marque will not actually teach me anything.

I could have just bought $10 computer game and saved all sorts of money. Jeezuz, thanks mate, you're a freaking god sent.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 26, 2014
This popped up on my radar today. It's a 1995, final year of the 928, so it's desirable, I'll take a looksee in the morning.

Seller is asking $500 (N82,500).

YungBoss, see what you've went and done? I was previously Porsche free grin

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 11:41am On Oct 26, 2014
N82....?
CityNG can we strike a deal?
by the way what's wrong with the ride...?
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 26, 2014
yungboss:
N82....?
CityNG can we strike a deal?
by the way what's wrong with the ride...?

I don't know what is wrong with it yet (alert came in about 1AM here so seller is asleep) but at $500 I expect it to be a lot wrong with it. What I have been doing is getting a refresher on 928 to see what usually goes wrong and how much the parts are (I do most of all my own work). So on eBay they go for $14,900 to $56,500 asking price, for comparison.

So when I buy cars like this sometimes parting them out brings better money. I mean where are you going to find an engine for a Porsche 928? It was only used in that car alone and Porsche only made that V8 back then.

Don't even think of exporting this to Nigeria, how are you going to clear it? grin
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 12:15pm On Oct 26, 2014
CityNG:

I don't know what is wrong with it yet (alert came in about 1AM here so seller is asleep) but at $500 I expect it to be a lot wrong with it. What I have been doing is getting a refresher on 928 to see what usually goes wrong and how much the parts are (I do most of all my own work). So on eBay they go for $14,900 to $56,500 asking price, for comparison.

So when I buy cars like this sometimes parting them out brings better money. I mean where are you going to find an engine for a Porsche 928? It was only used in that car alone and Porsche only made that V8 back then.

Don't even think of exporting this to Nigeria, how are you going to clear it? grin
hmmm, brick wall.
the 944 guys changed their mind which was a blow to me, every now and then i surf eBay for good deals, but importation is a huge constraint...
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 26, 2014
yungboss:

hmmm, brick wall.
the 944 guys changed their mind which was a blow to me, every now and then i surf eBay for good deals, but importation is a huge constraint...

Something similar is going on over here.

So I called the seller this morning and she said her new price is $800 (N132,000) still anomy price but I do business based on principles and this is unacceptable. She tried to work me that she made a mistake on the price but the reality is that she probably got a lot of calls/interest and wants to maximize her gain. Nothing wrong with that but be upfront. These people over here no sabi say I be Ijebu Ode boy proper and we no dey carry last for business grin

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 8:40pm On Oct 26, 2014
CityNG:

Something similar is going on over here.

So I called the seller this morning and she said her new price is $800 (N132,000) still anomy price but I do business based on principles and this is unacceptable. She tried to work me that she made a mistake on the price but the reality is that she probably got a lot of calls/interest and wants to maximize her gain. Nothing wrong with that but be upfront. These people over here no sabi say I be Ijebu Ode boy proper and we no dey carry last for business grin
lol, it isn't even bad for N132k...
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 26, 2014
yungboss:

lol, it isn't even bad for N132k...

Not bad at all [b]but [/b]when you deal with restoring European cars you just have to assume the worst case condition. So I already visualize replacing or rebuilding the drivetrain including the torque tube.

Additional for us here the seller has no vehicle paperwork so that involves red tape and money which can be up to $2,000 plus if there are any back owed license/registration fees.

So the $800 purchase price may quickly pale.

PS: When you get a chance, browse around this site http://www.renegadehybrids.com
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Nov 07, 2014
1984 Porsche 944 - $650 (Oceanside)

I'll go look at this one tomorrow for myself. I really need a winter project.

Needs only the head gasket replaced, allegedly.

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by dtneicna(m): 1:34am On Mar 08, 2016
Hello guys, I really love what you guys are doing here. CityNG, Siena, Youngboss... Pls I need you to explain what makes importing these cars to Nigeria difficult. Thank you
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 1:58am On Mar 08, 2016
dtneicna:
Hello guys, I really love what you guys are doing here. CityNG, Siena, Youngboss... Pls I need you to explain what makes importing these cars to Nigeria difficult. Thank you

The ages of these cars are the stumbling block. The oldest mon-commercial vehicle that can be imported into Nigeria is 15-years-old, so we're talking 2001.

These cars ended production way before 2001, so they are excluded from legit imports into Nigeria. They CAN be imported and cleared, but the costs will be prohibitive.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 08, 2016
Which Model is this please?

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Mar 08, 2016
Bossforeva:
Which Model is this please?

Porsche 968, really a revamped 944.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes / No Duty Payment No Plate Number Issuance - Customsng / Have You Ever Fooled Your Mechanic?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.