Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:03 PM

Generation To Generations... - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Generation To Generations... (94570 Views)

The Tenth Generation / Our Generation.. Nigeria Is Our Responsibility / To The Dying African Generation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 7:59am On Jul 28, 2014
I really need all members back to move on, this silence is chilling.
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 10:00am On Jul 28, 2014

'Welcome Sir, Welcome ma.' The waitress, dressed in a navy blue and white gown greeted with a smile.

'Thank you.' Katherine replied not picking the menu list.

'Thanks Helen.' He returned smiling.

'Sir, what will you like to order? '

'You've heard of ladies first, haven't you? ' Kelvin returned with a question.

Helen directed her attention back to Katherine. 'Ma, what will your order be? '

Katherine glanced up at the smiling face before looking at her companion. 'I'll rather you order first. '

He knew that tone well and especially knew that it was pointless to argue. 'Dear, I will have my usual.'

'I'll have same with him, thank you.' She chirped in with a smile, afterwhich she picked the menu list.

He waited till Helen left. 'Kathy, you shouldn't have done that, you don't even know my usual is and if you would like it. '

'That should be least of worries, you should be praying that you don't have to spoon feed me.' She said with eyes focused on the list.

Kelvin burst into laughter. Though it was calmly said, it was so tight that he considered it a retort.

Even when the meal was served, he was still amused that he had to express his gratitude with a wave of hand while Katherine mouthed hers.

'I'm sorry.' He eventually halt as her eyes were now boring into him. 'Let's bless our meal.'

'Yea, bless the meal.' She shut her eyes.

He smiled at her promptness before following her cue. 'Father we thank you for another privilege to feast. We asked that you provide for those looking up to you for what to eat. Jehovah Jireh bless this meal and bless the hands that prepared it in Jesus name.'

'Amen.' They both chorused.

The aroma and the presentation made her mouth to water. Before them was Chinese fried rice and egg with baked fish to be downed with a bottles of  Schweppes, she knew thawed peas, garlic, sesame oil were special ingredients added among others.
She loved the cube sized liver that littered the meal, she knew the meal was going to be tasty.
It took her down memory lane for few seconds.

He watched and saw her blinked severally, exhaled before picking her fork.

'You do have a sweet way of payback. ' He was referring to their exchange. He looked at his meal and noticed its content looked a bit different.

'I haven't considered payback yet and you're already complaining. ' She shot him a warning glance

'Oh... goodie goodie Lord in heaven!' He exclaimed and they both laughed.

'Hmmmm...this is delicious.' She couldn't help but say in between chewing.

'Yea... kind of tastily different from my usual.' He scooped the meal into his mouth.

Silence prevailed as they both ate, savored their meal and sipped their drink.

'You amaze me Katherine, how you could give such speech with little time to prepare.' He lifted the bottle to his lips. 'I like to ask you a question I've asked before, why did you stop schooling and do your family members know the turn your life has taken?'

'I am afraid I can't answer that. ' She said simply but her countenance changed.

A couple of minutes passed between them.

'Kathy, you're picking your meals.'

'I'm sorry Kel, I lost my appetite.' She told him eyes still on the meal. She couldn't look at him, She couldn't tell him he was digging up memories that She had tried so hard to bury.

'That should be expected, it is hard for the body to break free from a routine it is used to and that's the case with you,you are so used to spending every day at work without lunch, so no appetite at all is expected but not to worry for I'm ready to reprogram you whatever the cost.' He smiled at her.

His words and smile drew out a smile from her overshadowing the sadness that had engulfed her.

She shrugged. 'You are right, even a lay man knows that but you sound more like a professional, at some point in time did you do something related to medicine or psychology? '

'Naw...' He drawled,'Not my kind of stuff but the tone might be because I have a medical doctor in my family.'

'Hmmm...little wonder.' She concluded and sipped water.

'Go ahead Kathy, pick your meal I would't mind waiting and cheering you.' He told her gleefully.

She rolled her eyes and chuckled.

When it was time to eat her fish, She struggled in dividing her fish and he helped her and took three pieces from hers which he called his compensation.

On clearing the plates, Helen complimented on her speech which is partly attributed to the upgraded meal they had ate.

They walked back to their various offices, Katherine happier and Kelvin more determined to know the reason behind her veil.
With both palms underneath her chin, Shakirat studied the opened brochure. She was seated in the armed chair with both elbows on the reading desk.

Tobi walked in from the gym having done his evening work out, He was compelled to halt pass the door and take in his wife posture and the four brochures that were opened on the desk.

His brows narrowed. 'Sweetie, what's going on?' He continued in his strides and on a lighter note added. 'Are you preparing for an exam? '

She glanced at him and her gaze returned to the brochure. 'I want the twins to come back to Nigeria and complete their secondary education.'

'What! Why?' He went wide eyed.

'I... I am not comfortable anymore with the distance.' She muttered audible enough for him to hear.

'Baaby... ' He drawled and then heaved to keep his emotions in check. 'You're the one that wanted my girls abroad in the first place and don't tell me you intend withdrawing them in their final year.'

Shakirat inhaled and exhaled deeply. She stood as tears rolled down her cheeks and faced her husband who was taken aback by her tears. ' Sweetie... ' Since it was like a muffled sound, She cleared her voice. 'I know what I said my love but... Prince has been appearing in dream... ' She sniffed.' He was crying and every time I reach for him, he vanishes.' She sobbed.

Tobi took her into his arms.

'I am afraid... I want Rosemary and Rosamund back home. Please... ' She burst into tears.

His arms around her tightened and he fought back his tears. 'It's okay Babe. If that is you what, we will work on convincing them? '

She nodded.
+++
The driver opened the door and She looked back on impulse just to see Abbey, the security officer running to catch up with her.

She waited.

'Hello Katherine, Oh no...Good evening ma.' He corrected himself.

'Good evening Abbey.' She beamed. 'Skip the ma, we are pals.'

He looked left and right before whispering. 'Please don't let someone else hear that.'

The driver had already gone into the car.

Katherine chuckled. 'How're you doing jare? '

'I am fine.
<!--more-->

It was a beautiful talk you gave us yesterday.'

'Thank you for always believing in me.'

'Thank you for never proving me wrong.' He returned. 'I don't know if you're aware but I resigned and I will be leaving SIC by next week. I got an employment in Abuja that I'm passionate about. '

'Eeya, congratulations Abbey. I am going to miss you and SIC would lose one of its efficient security staff.'

Abbey chuckled. 'I'm optimistic SIC will get a better replacement.'

'I'm happy for you and please on Friday, come and see me. You can't leave SIC without a parting gift from me.'

'Thank you very much. '

Katherine entered the car, he closed the door after her and waved.

+++

1 Like

Re: Generation To Generations... by toykathy(f): 11:01am On Jul 28, 2014
Queenxstar: Tomorrow

waiting 4 ur update pls.......
Re: Generation To Generations... by godwah(f): 11:42am On Jul 28, 2014
I am still followng,i hop u will soon reach whr we r b4 d wipe out
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 12:12pm On Jul 28, 2014
@Godwah and Toykathy, you've not been reading every post carefully because I already continued from where I stopped and I did announce it.

Please chapter 15 is the beginning of the continuation.
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 12:14pm On Jul 28, 2014
Royal pence should start pouring into the golden bowl. Do invite all members and friends here.
Thank you.
Re: Generation To Generations... by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nice work Dearie... weldone...i was jst smiling thru esp wen Kathy n kelvin were hving lunch
Re: Generation To Generations... by Dorisbest(f): 1:47pm On Jul 28, 2014
Impressive. Queen, you too much
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 1:48pm On Jul 28, 2014
nnekamezor: Nice work Dearie... weldone...i was jst smiling thru esp wen Kathy n kelvin were hving lunch
Really? Tell me more about why you were smiling.
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 1:49pm On Jul 28, 2014
Dorisbest: Impressive. Queen, you too much
While you're a darling!
Re: Generation To Generations... by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jul 28, 2014
Queenxstar: Really? Tell me more about why you were smiling.
I was jst imagining d scenario ooo
Re: Generation To Generations... by Ziziola: 3:12pm On Jul 28, 2014
Hmmmm....... Loving this kind of boss and assistant relationship that is moving somewhere
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 4:33pm On Jul 28, 2014
nnekamezor: I was jst imagining d scenario ooo
I am glad they made you smile.

1 Like

Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 4:34pm On Jul 28, 2014
Ziziola: Hmmmm....... Loving this kind of boss and assistant relationship that is moving somewhere
Time will tell. Good to have you here dearie.
Re: Generation To Generations... by godwah(f): 8:00pm On Jul 28, 2014
Queenxstar: @Godwah and Toykathy, you've not been reading every post carefully because I already continued from where I stopped and I did announce it.

Please chapter 15 is the beginning of the continuation.
Ok thnks nd God bless
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 8:25pm On Jul 28, 2014
godwah: Ok thnks nd God bless
Bless you too Sweetie.

1 Like

Re: Generation To Generations... by toykathy(f): 9:05pm On Jul 28, 2014
godwah: Ok thnks nd God bless

sorry sweetie, i responded b4 readin d update. Thz
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 9:32pm On Jul 28, 2014
I'm seeing all those who chop, clean, dust bombom and walk away. It's not fair o
Re: Generation To Generations... by ifyude(f): 10:04pm On Jul 28, 2014
Well done Queenxstar,keep it coming

1 Like

Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 10:50pm On Jul 28, 2014
ifyude: Well done Queenxstar,keep it coming
Surely will. Thank you dear.
Re: Generation To Generations... by kingphilip(m): 11:00pm On Jul 28, 2014
wow queen great piece you've got up there
I think they'll b gud together sha

ride on dear continue it's in u
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 2:01am On Jul 29, 2014
kingphilip: wow queen great piece you've got up there
I think they'll b gud together sha

ride on dear continue it's in u
You and your compatibility eyes! Thank you dear.
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 2:02am On Jul 29, 2014
Any idea of where Lanicky is?
Re: Generation To Generations... by lanicky(f): 6:27am On Jul 29, 2014
Queenxstar: Any idea of where Lanicky is?

I'm here sis....I've bn busy outside nairaland.

Ao's u sis...*hugs her*
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 8:20am On Jul 29, 2014
lanicky:

I'm here sis....I've bn busy outside nairaland.

Ao's u sis...*hugs her*
*Embrace her * I was worried. I'm glad you're fine.
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 8:21am On Jul 29, 2014
She had thought it was a figment of her imagination until the door bell rang the third time.
Hastily, she dropped the knife she was holding beside a divided portion of yam on the tray before heading for the door.

'Hello Kathy.' His smile was dazzling, so was he in chinos trousers under multicolored T-shirt and leather sandals.

'Kelvin.' She gasped, stared and then hugged him. 'What a surprise to see you!'

'If I knew my coming here would have earned me a hug, I would have been here a long time ago.' He beamed as he took in her dressing of black straight cut gown that stopped just above her knee, he knew her face was void of anything yet she looked stunning.

Katherine chuckled before she took his hand and led him inside. 'Welcome to my abode.'

'Thank you.' He told her and glanced around.

Kelvin noticed the sitting room was well furnished and homely but was void of photographs. '

'Please sit. What can I offer you sir? ' Immediately she corrected herself. 'I don't have variety you can chose from, so I will offer you what I feel you will enjoy. '

'Whatever my ADG says.' He said and sat back on the sofa.

She came back with a minitray containing a cold can of strawberry juice. She set it on the side table beside his seat and brought it to his front.

'How come you did not come with a tumbler, we should share?'

'No,' She sat. 'I was actually making breakfast before you arrived.' She picked the remote. 'What TV station would you like to watch while am away for few minutes?'

'I will join you in the kitchen.' He picked the can and stood.

'This is serious. ' She chuckled at his serious expression before leading the way.

<em>You know what is been said about living the life of a fire brigade. She was an example. </em>So he thought to himself. Everywhere looked tidy.

Kelvin adjusted one of the dining chairs so he could watch her.

It was past eleven.

'We will have boiled yam and egg stew.' She began peeling the slices of yam, dividing into sizeable cubes and dropping them in a bowl of water.

'Can't the yam be sliced and cooked without peeling?'

She flashed him a smile, 'Some people actually do and peel after cooking, even back in secondary school one of my teacher told us that cooking yam with the peel gives the nutrient zinc.' She transferred the washed yam into the pot of boiling water and added salt before placing the pot lid. 'It's all about choice.' She glanced at him.

He watched for a moment as she emptied the yam peel in the waste bin. 'Are there other ways of preparing yam?'

'Ha...plenty of ways.' She brought out tomatoes and pepper from the fridge.

'There is roasted yam, fried yam which are sold in some part of the city. We also have pounded yam which is eaten with choiced soup. It can cooked with beans too. White or plain yam like am cooking now could be eaten with egg sauce, garden egg sauce, vegetable stew and locally, with palm oil, salt, grinded fresh pepper, onions and some people add some kind shredded vegetables to it. Hmmm...' She halt from slicing the onions thoughtfully. 'There is yam porridge, peppersoup and others I don't know about.' She concluded and wondered if he could cook.

'Let's eat it with the local type.'

She laughed. 'Fresh pepper might be too hot for you.'

He pouted making Katherine chuckle but said nothing and looked on as she sliced the tomatoes, diced the pepper, broke three eggs and beat in a bowl.

Satisfied after checking with a the yam with a fork, She drained the water.

'What we will use to eat the yam is egg sauce.' She glanced at him before setting the pot on fire.
She added little groundnut oil, salt, pepper, stirred before adding tomatoes. Barely two minutes, she added the eggs and stir.

'I don't like to add seasoning to my egg sauce.' She told him.

'You almost sounding like my  sister.' He smiled at her before inhaling deeply. 'I am so loving the aroma.'

Kelvin helped her set the table.
They eventually sat to eat after she said the prayer.

He complimented her on the meal and assisted her in rinsing and wiping the dishes afterwards despite her protest.

+++

They later strolled around the house and out to the estate.

Kelvin told her about how he started out in Nigeria.

She mainly listened and avoid saying things that will make him want to broach what she minded discussing.

They shared pineapple and water melon, played scramble with Katherine winning, teased each other, laughed long and hard, even at a point Kelvin had tears in his eyes before he eventually left past the hour of 2pm.
Not forgetting to tell her in no small words how much he enjoyed himself and how well she fed him.
+++

Kelvin was lying belly down on the rug of his sitting room, his upper body supported with a throw pillow watching the world news on CNN.

'Sir.' The house keeper called to gain attention.

He looked at her. 'Your meal is served.'

'Ouch! I am sorry I forgot to tell you I won't eat lunch because I'm still filled from what I ate out.'

'Was it a business lunch? ' She asked smiling.

'No, I went to see a very good friend.' He beamed.

'That friend must have really filled you real good for that smile lightens your face. Continue your news now.' She excused him.

Kelvin chuckled as he directed his eyes to the LG 84-inch LED TV but his mind drifted to the beautiful lady he had spent the better part of the day.

One of the reasons that prompted him to visit her was when the admin director told him he had refused her official accommodation.

She had told him in their conversation that the house was hers and she did leave alone. Not wanting to pry further, he couldn't ask for long.

He sighed. Visiting her had left him exhilarated but confused, more confused. Who in the world do not keep photographs in their sitting room?

He exhaled and closed his eyes.

<em>Dear Jesus, you know it all, you know my heart. You know why you've placed us&nbsp; on same path. I feel like there is a lot she going through or masking. Lord please... guide me and help me not to run ahead of you.</em>

<em>***</em>
+++
Katherine placed a mug of gingered tea on the dining table, pulled out a chair and sat.

She had never had a guest in her house, he had surprised her and she liked it.

Her brows darkened. He had favored her so well beyond measure, one who had believed in her abilities so much and threw caution to the wind to give her opportunities. Thankfully God had helped her and all she had learnt from her family.

She felt good friendship with him but she was not going to forget who she was, what had happened and what the great book says about the heart of man.

She was cautiously afraid.

Katherine lifted her mug and sipped.
<em>What will people say if they ever hear that the boss had being in her kitchen and had helped rinsed and wiped dishes </em>

She beamed.

+++

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 8:27am On Jul 29, 2014
Hope you enjoyed the above update, do not forget to criticise, comment and contribute. Do drop your royal pence, thank you.
Re: Generation To Generations... by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jul 29, 2014
Kool update dear.... God bless ya....wating Fr more exciting ones to come...hapi sallahwink
Re: Generation To Generations... by Ziziola: 2:12pm On Jul 29, 2014
Intresting!
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 2:18pm On Jul 29, 2014
Nneka and Zizi, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Generation To Generations... by Daintydaisy(f): 6:59pm On Jul 29, 2014
Neva knew ur back, nyc work as usual queeny
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 7:42pm On Jul 29, 2014
Daintydaisy: Neva knew ur back, nyc work as usual queeny
Thank you dear.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply)

PLAGIARIZED (The Story Was Just The Beginning) / The Silent Lover / Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.