Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,845 members, 7,802,696 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:12 PM

The 60 New Abbreviations That Are Dominating The Way Young People Communicate - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The 60 New Abbreviations That Are Dominating The Way Young People Communicate (245 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The 60 New Abbreviations That Are Dominating The Way Young People Communicate by myspnigeria: 3:52pm On Jul 16, 2014
with one another

An emerging list of new-age abbreviations have begun to dominate the way social media users connect and communicate - and it is only set to get longer.

The minefield of new meanings, at least according to social media marketing agency wearesocial.com.au, have grown from the days of the simple yet effective LOL (Laughing Out Loud) abbreviation to a list as long as 60.

And the social media savvy are now employing them in every day communication.

Those using the abbreviations do so as a tactic for speed in text communication, a university professor on linguistics said, while others just choose to do so because they are a code that older people don't quite understand.

WeAreSocial.com.au managing director Julian Ward said the various different shortcuts, which range from the the compassionate ILY (I Love You) to the more profain WTF (What the F***) are commonplace now and indicate the changing way people harness social media.
Using social listening tools, WeAreSocial.com.au monitored trending terms used by Australians on Twitter from April 1 to June 30.

The top ranking term was, LOL which was used a total of 1,242,935.
'We can see a range of clever to practical acronyms as people look for speed and limited thumb work - plus of course it feels good to be in the know, especially on more subversive terms,' Mr Ward said.

But now the abbreviations have become so complex that if sent alone without an accompanying graphic or visual element to give them context, have no meaning.
'The use of abbreviation should not be considered in isolation, rather as a set of activities that enhance efficiencies but importantly satisfy our need for a greater range of self expression,' Mr Ward said.
'The accelerating trend to express through visual stories. Short videos, plus the pervasiveness of the GIF, exploding out of Tumblr and now even adopted by Twitter.'

And despite the growing list of abbreviations, Mr Ward said people were also returning to using entire words in hashtags 'so people can find something that’s trending'.
WeAreSocial.com.au also discovered in their research that using visual images as a form of expression was on the rise in non-public platforms, such as instant messaging services.
'Instant Messaging platforms are enormous in message volume, where messaging of this type is ripe,' Mr Ward said.
'Think WhatsApp, Line, WeChat, Facebook Messenger to name a few. WhatsApp alone says it has more daily users than Twitter.
'By the end of 2013, WeChat had 355 million monthly active users.
'Use of emoji or emoticon stickers is the staple here. Expect to see the 250 new emoji keyboard characters enter your feeds shortly to support our urge to tell stories in brief and express associated emotion.
'Look out for sure thing favourites, the Desert Island and of course, the Vulcan salute.'

60 NEW ABBREVIATIONS (Part one)
1. LOL: Laugh out loud
2. OMG: Oh my god
3. ILY: I love you
4. LMAO: Laughing my a** off
5. WTF: What the f***?
6. PPL: People
7. IDK: I don't know?
8. TBH: To be honest
9. BTW: By the way
10. THX: Thanks
11. SMH: Shaking my head
12. FFS: For f***'s sake
13. AMA: Ask me anything
14. FML: F*** my life
15. TBT: Throwback Thursday
16. JK: Just kidding
17. IMO: In my opinion
18. YOLO: You only live once
19. ROFL: Rolling on the floor laughing
20. MCM: Mancrush Monday
21. IKR: I know right?
22. FYI: For your information
23. BRB: Be right back
24. : Good game
25. IDC: I don't care
26. TGIF: Thank God it's Friday
27. NSFW: Not safe for work
28. ICYMI: In case you missed it
29. STFU: Shut the f*** up
30. WCW: Womancrush Wednesday
31. IRL: In real life
60 NEW ABBREVIATIONS (Part two)
32. BFF: Best friends forever
33. OOTD: Outfit of the day
34. FTW: For the win
35. Txt: Text
36. HMU: Hit me up
37. HBD: Happy birthday
38. TMI: Too much information
39. NM: Not much
40. GTFO: Get the f*** out
41. NVM: Nevermind
42. DGAF: Don't give a f***
43. FBF: Flashback Friday
44. DTF: Down to f***
45. FOMO: Fear of missing out
46. SMFH: Shaking my fucking head
47. OMW: On my way
48. POTD: Photo of the day
49. LMS: Like my status
50. GTG: Got to go
51. ROFLMAO: Rolling on floor laughing my a*** off
52. TTYL: Talk to you later
53. AFAIK: As far as I know
54. LMK: Let me know
55. PTFO: Passed the f*** out
56. SFW: Safe for work
57. HMB: Hit me back
58. TTYS: Talk to you soon
59. FBO: Facebook Official
60. TTYN: Talk to you never

*Provided by wearesocial.com.au

(1) (Reply)

EASYLIFE Plan&easy Click / Fumigation D Pest Control Services / We Buy Dead Batteries 4 Inverter/solar Power/trailer @best Prices 08030978357

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.