Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,692 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:28 PM

Marriage To A Non-muslim - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Marriage To A Non-muslim (6404 Views)

Why Do Non-Muslim Terrorists Get Little Press Coverage? / Conversation Between A Non Muslim And A Muslim Cleric / Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by sino(m): 6:29pm On Jul 18, 2014
There is this case of a woman I know in my hood, a Muslimah and she got married to a Christian, an igbo man, for that matter. I don't know her reasons for marrying him, but today the man is now a Muslim and the wife now uses a jilbab.
The above is in no way meant to encourage this kind of marriage, in fact, aside Islam does not approve of it, I strongly dislike it.
A better approach which I believe is also dicey, is that if a non Muslim proposes marriage to a Muslimah, then the condition must be acceptance of Islam wholeheartedly. But how can one know of the sincerity of such a man?

And nice to have you back deols smiley

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by deols(f): 6:31pm On Jul 18, 2014
Sissie:

Oya tender your CV

Are u seriously asking for CV? You should already be ble to tell now. He said he is pretty.. :-D

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by tbaba1234: 6:32pm On Jul 18, 2014
sino: There is this case of a woman I know in my hood, a Muslimah and she got married to a Christian, an igbo man, for that matter. I don't know her reasons for marrying him, but today the man is now a Muslim and the wife now uses a jilbab.
The above is in no way meant to encourage this kind of marriage, in fact, aside Islam does not approve of it, I strongly dislike it.
A better approach which I believe is also dicey, is that if a non Muslim proposes marriage to a Muslimah, then the condition must be acceptance of Islam wholeheartedly. But how can one know of the sincerity of such a man?

I have heard similar stories as well but I would say, it is the other way round most times.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by deols(f): 6:35pm On Jul 18, 2014
sino: There is this case of a woman I know in my hood, a Muslimah and she got married to a Christian, an igbo man, for that matter. I don't know her reasons for marrying him, but today the man is now a Muslim and the wife now uses a jilbab.

Thanks.

That is like the case we read of at the Family Section.

But do you really blame some of these ladies? Pressure to be married and unsuitable Muslim suitors are some of the things I have heard of o. Maybe the Muslim men they meet dont meet their criteria and the others do.

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by deols(f): 6:39pm On Jul 18, 2014
I want to open a thread on gender issues and Islam. I have had to change my mind on them because they appear to be criticising some aspects of Islam. But some of those things genuinely bother me and I av been far away from Islamic studies for quite a while embarassed

What do u guys think of this??
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by sino(m): 6:44pm On Jul 18, 2014
tbaba1234:

I have heard similar stories as well but I would say, it is the other way round most times.
Indeed, the case I mentioned is the exception to what is generally observed in such marriages.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by sino(m): 6:47pm On Jul 18, 2014
deols:

Thanks.

That is like the case we read of at the Family Section.

But do you really blame some of these ladies? Pressure to be married and unsuitable Muslim suitors are some of the things I have heard of o. Maybe the Muslim men they meet dont meet their criteria and the others do.
To me, the only excuse worth considering is ignorance, anything else is self desire.

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by tbaba1234: 7:03pm On Jul 18, 2014
deols: I want to open a thread on gender issues and Islam. I have had to change my mind on them because they appear to be criticising some aspects of Islam. But some of those things genuinely bother me and I av been far away from Islamic studies for quite a while embarassed

If you want to have talk about them privately send me a mail in sha Allah.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 18, 2014
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Empiree: 8:49pm On Jul 18, 2014
i remember when after Deol "disappeared" and someone opens a thread titled "Deol is gone". One of the readers asked "to where or what do you mean?" another reader responded "She is dead". Remember the thread, anyone?

Not sure if the thread still here. But i remember someone said the above and everyone laughed. Looks like the person didn't understand what Op meant by Deol is gone. I was silently following the thread. I laughed in Spanish. Anyways, how's Ramadan going?.

Remember to extend your dua for Gaza, oppressed Muslims everywhere and recent crossfire innocent victims of political gibberish over Ukraine. They are shuhadah inshallah
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Sissie(f): 8:51pm On Jul 18, 2014
deols: I want to open a thread on gender issues and Islam. I have had to change my mind on them because they appear to be criticising some aspects of Islam. But some of those things genuinely bother me and I av been far away from Islamic studies for quite a while embarassed

open and ask lets discuss.

we could discuss some of NL.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 18, 2014
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by ussy09(m): 6:25am On Jul 19, 2014
ueskman:

we live in a complicated world..I have seen:
couple-husband(xtain), wife(Muslim) , now d husband is a damn dedicated Muslim to d core(even stronger that his wife)

couple-husband(xtain), wife(Muslim) , now d wife s a dedicated xtain(Buh still maintain her Muslim name cheesy )

couple-husband(Muslim), wife(xtain) , now d wife is a dedicated Muslim(far stronger than his husband)

couple-husband(Muslim), wife(xtain), they both maintain their religion , Buh their sons and daughters(grown ups) r damn dedicated Muslims

So, just pray for Allaah's intervention

Goodluck in your decision sister.

wasalamulayi alaikum waramotullah wabarakatuhu roomies
. To prevent all dis complications marry a God fearin muslim sister nd ur children mayb muslims insha Allah.

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Tbaby4real(f): 11:09am On Jul 19, 2014
ussy09: . To prevent all dis complications marry a God fearin muslim sister nd ur children mayb muslims insha Allah.
How do you know a God fearing Muslim sister? By the way she dress I suppose...... People make mistakes by applying one method in searching for future partner.
When I met my husband, he was a Christian, I will visit him and observe my solat in his house. All I love about him then was the fact that we work as a term. We built our career together. I always share some Islamic law about so many things and he would say, I think Islam should be refer to as a way of life. He converted to Islam himself without discussing with him. We dated 8 years before getting married.

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by tbaba1234: 2:34pm On Jul 19, 2014
Tbaby4real:
How do you know a God fearing Muslim sister? By the way she dress I suppose...... People make mistakes by applying one method in searching for future partner.
When I met my husband, he was a Christian, I will visit him and observe my solat in his house. All I love about him then was the fact that we work as a term. We built our career together. I always share some Islamic law about so many things and he would say, I think Islam should be refer to as a way of life. He converted to Islam himself without discussing with him. We dated 8 years before getting married.

Alhamdulilah everything worked out ok but there are bad stories as well.

Dating as you have described is not permissible islamically first of all.

Imagine, you were not so practising or firm, it will be you moving the other way. It is more common for women to adopt their husband's faith.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Tbaby4real(f): 4:40pm On Jul 19, 2014
tbaba1234:

Alhamdulilah everything worked out ok but there are bad stories as well.

Dating as you have described is not permissible islamically first of all.

Imagine, you were not so practising or firm, it will be you moving the other way. It is more common for women to adopt their husband's faith.

I believe you mean dating is not permissible Islamically because of uncontrolled libido. Tbaba, career oriented people don't listen to their libido drive, they are busy up there. I thought we are not permitted to have sex before marriage but not having a relationship. Could you give link in that respect please?

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by tbaba1234: 5:20pm On Jul 19, 2014
Tbaby4real:

I believe you mean dating is not permissible Islamically because of uncontrolled libido. Tbaba, career oriented people don't listen to their libido drive, they are busy up there. I thought we are not permitted to have sex before marriage but not having a relationship. Could you give link in that respect please?

Dating is not permitted regardless of whether intercourse is involved.

You are either married or you are not.

There is a focused period of interaction (courtship??) for those who intend to get married where they can get to know each other and what they want from marriage with the knowledge of the girl's guardian and both families.

Even then, they are still both non mahrams and must maintain limits until they agree on marriage.

Boyfriend- Girlfriend is not permissible.

Link:
http://islamqa.info/en/13747

3 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Tbaby4real(f): 5:26pm On Jul 19, 2014
tbaba1234:

Dating is not permitted regardless of whether intercourse is involved.

You are either married or you are not.

There is a focused period of interaction (courtship??) for those who intend to get married where they can get to know each other and what they want from marriage with the knowledge of the girl's guardian and both families.

Even then, they are still both non mahrams and must maintain limits until they agree on marriage.

Boyfriend- Girlfriend is not permissible.

Link:
http://islamqa.info/en/13747

Okay....l
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by deols(f): 8:49pm On Jul 19, 2014
Sissie:

open and ask lets discuss.

we could discuss some of NL.

The link.
https://www.nairaland.com/1820346/gender-family-issues-islam
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by PENMIGHT(m): 5:11am On Jul 20, 2014
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by ussy09(m): 6:01am On Jul 20, 2014
Tbaby4real:
. Wow am hapi 4u bt pls dnt use dis ur experience in encouraging muslim sisters in marryin d christians ones cos I believ u knw d implication more so knw dis "same sun dat melt d ice harden d clay"

2 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by deols(f): 7:10am On Jul 20, 2014
PENMIGHT: Mar'haba.

Thanks. Pls contribute to this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/1820346/gender-family-issues-islam
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Tbaby4real(f): 9:10am On Jul 20, 2014
ussy09: . Wow am hapi 4u bt pls dnt use dis ur experience in encouraging muslim sisters in marryin d christians ones cos I believ u knw d implication more so knw dis "same sun dat melt d ice harden d clay"

I agree but it would be so bad to be applying one method for something that is as serious as future partner....... May Allah help all our single brothers and sisters in their search of the right person. No one is perfect in making such tough decision except for the grace of almighty Allah( swt). Also, the most important is not before but after the wedding. How the two are able to help each other in improving their Ibadah with their tight schedule and busy day. Alhamdulillah, for whom almighty Allah(swt) choose for me. I will forever be grateful to Him.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 11:25am On Jul 20, 2014
ameenahz:

An invalid marriage is tantamount to adultery.

http://islamqa.info/en/8396

What makes the marriage invalid?
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by ameenahz(f): 12:28pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

What makes the marriage invalid?

A muslim woman is not permitted to marry a non muslim, be it christian or jew or pagan. Express prohibition of such by Allah makes such union invalid.

{Do not marry unbelieving women (idolaters), until they believe: A slave woman who believes is better than an unbelieving woman, even though she allures you. Nor marry (your girls) to unbelievers until they believe: A man slave who believes is better than an unbeliever, even though he allures you. Unbelievers do (but) beckon you to the Fire. But Allah beckons by His Grace to the Garden (of bliss) and forgiveness, and makes His Signs clear to mankind: That they may celebrate His praise.} (Al-Baqara, 2:221)

check: http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-about-islam/society-and-family/interfaith-issues/461537-can-a-muslim-women-marry-a-non-muslim-man.html

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 12:34pm On Jul 20, 2014
ameenahz:

A muslim woman is not permitted to marry a non muslim, be it christian or jew or pagan. Express prohibition of such by Allah makes such union invalid.

{Do not marry unbelieving women (idolaters), until they believe: A slave woman who believes is better than an unbelieving woman, even though she allures you. Nor marry (your girls) to unbelievers until they believe: A man slave who believes is better than an unbeliever, even though he allures you. Unbelievers do (but) beckon you to the Fire. But Allah beckons by His Grace to the Garden (of bliss) and forgiveness, and makes His Signs clear to mankind: That they may celebrate His praise.} (Al-Baqara, 2:221)

check: http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-about-islam/society-and-family/interfaith-issues/461537-can-a-muslim-women-marry-a-non-muslim-man.html

I think the beauty of freedom is that God/Allah/Geno/whatever you want to call the almighty gave us all the power of choice. I don't believe it is wrong to marry someone of a different religious background from you.

Humans are meant to come together not be segregated through religion, skin colour, ethnic group, and all that other nonsense. I know that some people are probably saying I sound hypocritical right now because I mainly only talk to African sisters and no other continent. That is what I call preference.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by ameenahz(f): 12:36pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

I think the beauty of freedom is that God/Allah/Geno/whatever you want to call the almighty gave us all the power of choice. I don't believe it is wrong to marry someone of a different religious background from you.

Humans are meant to come together not be segregated through religion, skin colour, ethnic group, and all that other nonsense. I know that some people are probably saying I sound hypocritical right now because I mainly only talk to African sisters and no other continent. That is what I call preference.

Ermm....sorry bro, are you a muslim? Just asking.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 12:45pm On Jul 20, 2014
ameenahz:

Ermm....sorry bro, are you a muslim? Just asking.

Yes
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by ameenahz(f): 1:05pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yes

Alhamdulillah.

Then maybe you would understand the wisdom behind such a commandment.

Read this: O you who believe! Ward off yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who disobey not, (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allâh, but do that which they are commanded. (suratul tahrim vs 6)

This is an obligation for us all. A primary assignment. And one of the ways we can achieve this is to choose righteous, believing spouses in the first place. Although Allah guides who he wills and anything can happen, you'll agree with me that the probablility of raising your kids as muslims is higher if you and your spouse both practise Islam.

For me as a person, i owe humanity, my country, my tribe, my clan, my family and so on my allegiance but my first identity is islam. I am a muslim first and the others next. And i believe that is the way it should be for all muslims. The questions in the grave will not start with 'What did you do to keep Nigeria united?' but 'who is your Lord?' (that does not mean the former is not important. It means there are even more important responsibilities). So yes, keeping humanity together is important (infact, i think i have read it somewhere that it is not permissible to reject a good muslim suitor on the basis of tribe and all that. If i had gotten an Asian Muslim as a suitor when i was searching, i would have gone ahead to marry him, in shaa Allah) but keeping the community of Islam growing and together is much more important.
Don't forget that in most parts of the world, women are expected to follow the religion of their husbands and the kids are raised to practise the religion of their fathers.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by tbaba1234: 1:09pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yes

You are Muslim but how much of your views are shaped by Islam.

Muslim means one who submits to the will of God.

This means that for a muslim, even his choices are guided by Islam. You have the choice to drink alcohol but for the Muslim, that option is out of the table.

The same goes for every instruction in the book.

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Sixix: 1:20pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 1:33pm On Jul 20, 2014
ameenahz:

Alhamdulillah.

Then maybe you would understand the wisdom behind such a commandment.

Read this: O you who believe! Ward off yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who disobey not, (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allâh, but do that which they are commanded. (suratul tahrim vs 6)

This is an obligation for us all. A primary assignment. And one of the ways we can achieve this is to choose righteous, believing spouses in the first place. Although Allah guides who he wills and anything can happen, you'll agree with me that the probablility of raising your kids as muslims is higher if you and your spouse both practise Islam.

For me as a person, i owe humanity, my country, my tribe, my clan, my family and so on my allegiance but my first identity is islam. I am a muslim first and the others next. And i believe that is the way it should be for all muslims. The questions in the grave will not start with 'What did you do to keep Nigeria united?' but 'who is your Lord?' (that does not mean the former is not important. It means there are even more important responsibilities). So yes, keeping humanity together is important (infact, i think i have read it somewhere that it is not permissible to reject a good muslim suitor on the basis of tribe and all that. If i had gotten an Asian Muslim as a suitor when i was searching, i would have gone ahead to marry him, in shaa Allah) but keeping the community of Islam growing and together is much more important.
Don't forget that in most parts of the world, women are expected to follow the religion of their husbands and the kids are raised to practise the religion of their fathers.

While I do admire your piousness, I think being a Muslim goes beyond that. Islam is a religion of peace and everyone practises it differently.

If someone chooses to marry someone outside of their respective religion whether it be man or woman, they are doing it because they feel that is their hearts desire. They are following their hearts, nothing more or less.

Religion is a very touchy subject, even right now I'm holding back a lot of my beliefs as to not offend anyone. But for me I wouldn't mind marrying someone who comes from a different belief system from me. Love conquers all. We live in a progressive society now and I feel that whatever people do, it's their own business really.

Agnostic, Buddhist, Hindu, Christian, Baha'i, Jewish, Traditional African religion, Islam, Shinto, etc they are all religions and ways of life, however, we are all human beings no matter what walk of life or background we come from.

If we learn to accept one another even in marriage there will be less problems in this world.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sanusi Warns Muslims Against Joining Issues With Christians / Darfur Vs Gaza: African Muslims Are Worth Less Than Arab Muslims / What Does It Mean According To Quran And Sunnah To Eat In Dream

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.