Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,707 members, 7,802,105 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:17 AM

Marriage To A Non-muslim - Islam for Muslims (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Marriage To A Non-muslim (6395 Views)

Why Do Non-Muslim Terrorists Get Little Press Coverage? / Conversation Between A Non Muslim And A Muslim Cleric / Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by deols(f): 5:05pm On Jul 23, 2014
TheBigUrban2: I can understand the need for this thread.

Some muslim sisters see a non-muslim guy who is righteous in every sense. The non-muslim guy works hard, is nice to everyone, does charity to the community and children like him.....BUT HE IS NOT A MUSLIM.

This same non-muslim guy doesnt judge the muslima like how her male muslim acquaintances do. He doesnt expect her to wear hijab or dress in a certain way. He cooks for her sometimes.

Now, she has fallen in love with this non-muslim guy. She tries to convert him, he laughs in her face. He tells her that she can follow whatever religion she likes but he is not into religion.

The dilemma comes when her parents introduce her to an older muslim man (Alhaji) who is a bit wealthy but not as handsome or polite as the non-muslim. This Alhaji wants to marry her.

Is there compulsion in religion? Can she be a muslim and marry her non-muslim sweetheart?

Or is an older Alhaji with 3 wives already a better choice?

Should she wait for a younger muslim that might never come or understand her like her non-muslim sweetheart?

grin grin grin grin

#the muslima dilemma

Interesting analysis. This happens, a lot.

Many of the Muslim men that I have come across are not my type, for example. And I have known quite a number of non-Muslim men that I like. #justsaying.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by deols(f): 5:06pm On Jul 23, 2014
Fulaman198:

Generalisations everywhere

I don't think he was generalising. He only presented a scenario.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by deols(f): 5:08pm On Jul 23, 2014
Fulaman198:

I don't mind if a Yoruba woman teaches my possible future children Yoruba language, I just would like her to at least have an interest in Fulfulde language and Pulaagu (albeit even if the interest is very slight).

We say that Islam is a culture/way of life, it can be, but
not as universal as you may think it is. It is not practised the same way everywhere in the world.

In addition, many Arabs for example only marry Arabs. I think they are even more strict than I am.

How do you measure that interest in fulfude. I don't think many grown ups can learn new languages.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by TheBigUrban2: 5:15pm On Jul 23, 2014
deols:

Many of the Muslim men that I have come across are not my type, for example. And I have known quite a number of non-Muslim men that I like. #justsaying.

Good.

I wish Tbaba and co can come here and give practical advice......rather than throw out philosophies.

Example-
Muslima; Help!!! My husband wants to take a second wife. It is not that I cant share my husband.....the problem is that the woman and I disliked each other in school. I see problems coming our way.

Male muslim Nairalander; The Quran permits a man to marry up to four wives. Islam is perfect. Islam gives the way to handle such problems.

How does the male muslim nairalander solve the problem in any way?

2 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 23, 2014
deols:

How do you measure that interest in fulfude. I don't think many grown ups can learn new languages.

If someone is genuinely interested in you, how could they not be interested in your culture and language

I think it's a bit silly to imply that Fula shouldn't expect as much.

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by TheBigUrban2: 6:15pm On Jul 23, 2014
deols:

I don't think he was generalising. He only presented a scenario.

Thank you
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 6:20pm On Jul 23, 2014
deols:

If she is constantly asking me how does one say something in Fulfulde, that reveals to me that she has interest in the language and culture. Or if from time to time she would ask me stuff about Fulani culture. Another measure of this is if I find a woman who is into history and culture and she is not always talking about Europe or Asia or other Westernised countries/cultures.

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 6:21pm On Jul 23, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

If someone is genuinely interested in you, how could they not be interested in your culture and language

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by deols(f): 6:38pm On Jul 23, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

U didnt av to call anyone silly. I only wanted to understand to what extent his expectations are. I, myself prefer to marry someone from my tribe. No time for ambiguosities.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by deols(f): 6:41pm On Jul 23, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Good.

I wish Tbaba and co can come here and give practical advice......rather than throw out philosophies.

Example-
Muslima; Help!!! My husband wants to take a second wife. It is not that I cant share my husband.....the problem is that the woman and I disliked each other in school. I see problems coming our way.

Male muslim Nairalander; The Quran permits a man to marry up to four wives. Islam is perfect. Islam gives the way to handle such problems.

How does the male muslim nairalander solve the problem in any way?

I reason with you. We will all get better at these things in sha Allah. Many of us are quite young. Hope u aint thinkn tbaba is one old man grin
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by deols(f): 6:43pm On Jul 23, 2014
Fulaman198:

If she is constantly asking me how does one say something in Fulfulde, that reveals to me that she has interest in the language and culture. Or if from time to time she would ask me stuff about Fulani culture. Another measure of this is if I find a woman who is into history and culture and she is not always talking about Europe or Asia or other Westernised countries/cultures.

This is fair enough.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 23, 2014
deols:

U didnt av to call anyone silly. I only wanted to understand to what extent his expectations are. I, myself prefer to marry someone from my tribe. No time for ambiguosities.

Sorry, that isn't what I meant. sad

That's perfectly natural. I had that preference too, but life doesn't always go as planned. All that aside, when you're interested in someone from another tribe/culture, that interest would naturally extend to their culture and language. It's part of who they are as person, and crucial to becoming comfortably acquainted with their side of the family. It's highly important for the kids to be familiar with their father's culture as well, and not just the mothers'.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by deols(f): 6:55pm On Jul 23, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

Sorry, that isn't what I meant. sad

That's perfectly natural. I had that preference too, but life doesn't always go as planned. All that aside, when you're interested in someone from another tribe/culture, that interest would naturally extend to their culture and language. It's part of who they are as person, and crucial to becoming comfortably acquainted with their side of the family. It's highly important for the kids to be familiar with their father's culture as well, and not just the mothers'.

I agree
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 23, 2014
deols:

I agree

Okie doke wink
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 23, 2014
deols:

Loll this happens a lot in non-Muslim countries especially, with both sexes. What a dilemma.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jul 24, 2014
deols:

I didnt see tbaba1234's response before. I am so embarrassed.

Don't be.

Maybe he was trying to say he is in a relationship or married.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by deols(f): 5:19pm On Jul 24, 2014
andromida:

Don't be.

Maybe he was trying to say he is in a relationship or married.

don't mind me. he couldn't have handled me anyway grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Negation And Affirmation: The Two Basic Principles Of Islam. / Lessons From Hadith 19 Of An-nawawih Collection / How Do You Use The Social Media As A Muslim?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.