Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,033 members, 7,807,065 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

What To Say When Someone Tells You That A Friend Is Dead? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What To Say When Someone Tells You That A Friend Is Dead? (953 Views)

My Husband’s Friend Is Wonderful In Bed, But… / 8 Things No One Tells You About Marriage! / What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Say When Someone Tells You That A Friend Is Dead? by Nobody: 10:59am On Jul 18, 2014
OneAngryBird undecided

Just for some mintutes ago, I sat chatting with a friend, suddenly she told me that something bad just had happened and that she would tell me what when she came back. Some minutes later she came back and told me that a close friend of her family was dead.
I wanted to talk with her about it but I couldn't make out something good to say, I said something like "I don't know what to say" and she answered "Its alright, you don't need to say anything, I wouldn't known what to say either" then I went silent and some minutes later she logged out.
So yes, anyone who have any good suggestions about what to say when you come in this kinda situation?
Re: What To Say When Someone Tells You That A Friend Is Dead? by Illuminatus(m): 11:13am On Jul 18, 2014
There isn't a one true formula for reacting this kinda thing. It depends on you and the person involved. Traditionally, the word, "sorry" comes to mind. It is the only word to show that you care about them and what they're going through without pretending that you do know what they're going through.

1 Like

Re: What To Say When Someone Tells You That A Friend Is Dead? by Tannie(f): 12:19pm On Jul 18, 2014
Op pls modify your topic #dead not death

It depends on how close you are to the person. U can start by saying sorry, I know its painful to loss someone but you know death is inevitable and he/she has gone to a better place. Cheer up and move on with life

1 Like

Re: What To Say When Someone Tells You That A Friend Is Dead? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jul 18, 2014
I would personally prefer a honest answer although you could just say: "So sorry or that's tragic" or just ask what happened?
Re: What To Say When Someone Tells You That A Friend Is Dead? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 18, 2014
0rex: I would personally prefer a honest answer although you could just say: "So sorry or that's tragic" or just ask what happened?

Okay, We meet today, so I asked her the latter, ‘what happened’ - and she got emotional and started weeping.
As much as I'm curious to be in the light, I felt bad for reminding her. I think “just Sorry would do”. smiley

@ Tannie thanks ma'am corrected.
Re: What To Say When Someone Tells You That A Friend Is Dead? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jul 18, 2014
1AngryBird:

Okay, We meet today, so I asked her the latter, ‘what happened’ - and she got emotional and started weeping.
As much as I'm curious to be in the light, I felt bad for reminding her. I think “just Sorry would do”. smiley
You are right. "What happened?" might not be very appropriate sometimes especially if asked later after the unfortunate news was initially broken.
Re: What To Say When Someone Tells You That A Friend Is Dead? by Dark1(m): 4:56pm On Jul 18, 2014
I actually giggled when I was told a friend had passed on, it seemed hilariously surreal! undecided

I mean here's someone I just hung out with the night before, with some friends already calling me to come over with my friend. I had to tell the caller to quit playing around like 10 times before reality sank in! embarassed

I kept asking how and why embarassed
Re: What To Say When Someone Tells You That A Friend Is Dead? by saintvc(m): 1:40am On Jul 19, 2014
No talk sorry....no b u kill am
Re: What To Say When Someone Tells You That A Friend Is Dead? by Liamm(m): 4:36am On Jul 19, 2014
Tannie: Op pls modify your topic #dead not death

It depends on how close you are to the person. U can start by saying sorry, I know its painful to loss lose someone but you know death is inevitable and he/she has gone to a better place. Cheer up and move on with life
*adjusts my spectacle*

FIXED!!
Re: What To Say When Someone Tells You That A Friend Is Dead? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jul 20, 2014
saintvc: No talk sorry....no b u kill am

LOl.. That's what I'm also puzzled about. Sorry doesn't work in this case.
Re: What To Say When Someone Tells You That A Friend Is Dead? by Galaxydon1(m): 5:48pm On Jul 22, 2014
its a pity

(1) (Reply)

Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 / Mother In Law Drama / Whatt Should I Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.