Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,926 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:05 AM

Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) - Career (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) (284849 Views)

Photo: This Is The Bitter Truth About Work Place / The Number Of Persons That Lost Their Jobs In Nigeria:The Second Quarter Of 2015 / Best Paid Careers In Nigeria For 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by desy24444(m): 4:40am On Jul 21, 2014
[quote author=alentyno]
A nurse in government hospital in Nigeria earns less than N100,000 per month. Their pay could rise to N400,000 when they become matrons. This ur figure might b true for diploma nurses.Degree nurses earn nutin less dan 120k a mnth.However d pay increases wen day specialize eg anesthetics.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by desy24444(m): 4:40am On Jul 21, 2014
[quote author=alentyno]
A nurse in government hospital in Nigeria earns less than N100,000 per month. Their pay could rise to N400,000 when they become matrons.

This ur figure might b true for diploma nurses.Degree nurses earn nutin less dan 120k a mnth.However d pay increases wen day specialize eg anesthetics nurses n peri op nurses
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Madibs: 4:46am On Jul 21, 2014
@OP...pls if u don't know....don't mislead People

1 Like

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by mahleeq(m): 5:22am On Jul 21, 2014
Profmaojo: Guy can u link me to any ui maths student who is currently in 100l second semester

finished from there 2011, can't really link you with anyone. sowi dude
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Insanity(m): 6:13am On Jul 21, 2014
Olutola88: I laugh is Swahili. I'm talking about things I've known since I was in 200L in the university. I'm currently a youth corper, which means I'm a job seeker. I've also applied for many scholarships and I know a couple of friends that have applied for masters programme in top universities of the world. Gentleman, you need enlightenment!

Bro, don't deceive yourself, listen to what they're telling you. You're a youth corper, good, you'll soon know. This post is not for you, this is for any undergrad that is on 3.8 and is feeling like he/she has arrived. Don't limit yourself, strive to be the best in whatever you do. Why can't strive for 4.4 if you can, it counts. I still regret not working harder to get higher ggrades though I came out with good grades.

If you're an Engineer and you wanna work in IOCs, you'll competing with first class graduates. Test and interviews, recruitment lasting for like 8-9 months, its battle for the smartest. Bring on your best! If been through it, so this is just an advice. Take it or Leave it!

Take care.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Insanity(m): 6:44am On Jul 21, 2014
ayusco85:

dont mind the OP, i dont know his source of information. he probably is an engineer dreaming of working in an oil and gas company. Geoscientist and Geophysicist are the back bone of every oil and gas company.
#ProudlyGeologistAndMiner

Its good you're bragging on ya course of study but I don't know if you're in the system. In the full course of events before the exporting of crude, We have different phases, from basic engineering>detailed engineering>procurement>construction>installation>commissioning>first oil.

Geology comes in the beginning of basic engineering BE, that's like 1-2 years of discovery, examining the crude type to determine the type of topsides facilities needed to refine the crude to the required specifications. Mind you, this done with the reservoir engineers. After the BE, their works is done, in comes the detailed eng phase, work starts for the subsea engineers (depending on the location of the bloc), process eng, mechanical engineer, piping engineers, rotating equipment engineers, PDMS enigneers, structural engineers to design the facilities. This phase last for like 2-4 years, or even longer. Then procurement and purchasing of materials, construction where We have material eng, welding eng, mechanical eng, civil/structural/construction eng. And it goes on and on...this is strictly for E&P ie exploration and production coys, mostly IOCs.

So you see, geology is not the back bone discipline in this illustration. In my opinion, We all complement each other 'cause you can't work without any of them. Take Care.

1 Like

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Samgreguc(m): 6:46am On Jul 21, 2014
ejihand1:
what lab in the hospital? To take over the job of a medical laboratory scientists? That cant happen in public hospital. Op. Lets hear what you have to say on the entry level of medical laboratory scientist?
I dont get u
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by donodion(m): 6:59am On Jul 21, 2014
how come no one write about graduate of BOTANY?.Or you think they dont earn well grin grin... Ask YemKem. The man jets all over europe to shop for his wardrobe o.

1 Like

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by ogawisdom(m): 7:05am On Jul 21, 2014
joker5180: and how many 'shell' and 'total' do we have in nigeria? the lucky engineers will join these firms and that much BUT over 90% of them will remain jobless for years.

Let them continue building castles in the air.FYI engineers r d worst hit wen it comes to unemployment, they r everywhere roaming d streets wit their 2.1. Very rarely do u see engineers practicin on their own, they all must work for one coy or d other. I tink doctors r d best paid on average n they r rarely or neva unemployed.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by babestell(f): 7:16am On Jul 21, 2014
Insanity:

Its good you're bragging on ya course of study but I don't know if you're in the system. In the full course of events before the exporting of crude, We have different phases, from basic engineering>detailed engineering>procurement>construction>installation>commissioning>first oil.

Geology comes in the beginning of basic engineering BE, that's like 1-2 years of discovery, examining the crude type to determine the type of topsides facilities needed to refine the crude to the required specifications. Mind you, this done with the reservoir engineers. After the BE, their works is done, i n comes the detailed eng phase, work starts for the subsea engineers (depending on the location of the bloc), process eng, mechanical engineer, piping engineers, rotating equipment engineers, PDMS enigneers, structural engineers to design the facilities. This phase last for like 2-4 years, or even longer. Then procurement and purchasing of materials, construction where We have material eng, welding eng, mechanical eng, civil/structural/construction eng. And it goes on and on...this is strictly for E&P ie exploration and production coys, mostly IOCs.

So you see, geology is not the back bone discipline in this illustration. In my opinion, We all complement each other 'cause you can't work without any of them. Take Care.

The work of the Geologist and petroleum Engr is never done. Even during the operate phase of the field life cycle, they are heavily involved with the field and facilities management. Even during abandonment and restoration, there is always need for their input
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by hero10(m): 7:24am On Jul 21, 2014
Abeg what abt Sociology and Criminology
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Olutola88(m): 7:24am On Jul 21, 2014
Insanity:

Bro, don't deceive yourself, listen to what they're telling you. You're a youth corper, good, you'll soon know. This post is not for you, this is for any undergrad that is on 3.8 and is feeling like he/she has arrived. Don't limit yourself, strive to be the best in whatever you do. Why can't strive for 4.4 if you can, it counts. I still regret not working harder to get higher ggrades though I came out with good grades.

If you're an Engineer and you wanna work in IOCs, you'll competing with first class graduates. Test and interviews, recruitment lasting for like 8-9 months, its battle for the smartest. Bring on your best! If been through it, so this is just an advice. Take it or Leave it!

Take care.
Sir, you didn't follow the thread with enough care and patience. You are giving me the advice I gave earlier grin READ MY EARLIER COMMENTS.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by mimifavour(f): 7:37am On Jul 21, 2014
U don't. Want to ansa me abi?.
Wat is the range of pay for environmental practitioners under health n safety. N environmentalist as a whole.[b][/b]
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by WiziAgozie(m): 7:50am On Jul 21, 2014
Nice write up. Graduates of Surveying and geoinformatics should be on that list I mean the land surveyors. Funny enough they hardly look for job
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by hero10(m): 8:28am On Jul 21, 2014
hero10: Abeg what abt Sociology and Criminology
somebody should answer this question pls

1 Like

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by rudepen(m): 9:09am On Jul 21, 2014
ogawisdom:

Let them continue building castles in the air.FYI engineers r d worst hit wen it comes to unemployment, they r everywhere roaming d streets wit their 2.1. Very rarely do u see engineers practicin on their own, they all must work for one coy or d other. I tink doctors r d best paid on average n they r rarely or neva unemployed.
which planet r u on br0...engineerin z vast....ah haven't seen a single comp dat does nat need d services of an engineer....be it wahever dey're int0....cmon man...#teamengineering
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Princecalm(m): 9:25am On Jul 21, 2014
What about graduates of Nautical science.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by ayusco85(m): 9:29am On Jul 21, 2014
Insanity:

Geology comes in the beginning of basic engineering BE, that's like 1-2 years of discovery, examining the crude type to determine the type of topsides facilities needed to refine the crude to the required specifications. Mind you, this done with the reservoir engineers. After the BE, their works is done, in comes the detailed eng phase, work starts for the subsea engineers (depending on the location of the bloc), process eng, mechanical engineer, piping engineers, rotating equipment engineers, PDMS enigneers, structural engineers to design the facilities. This phase last for like 2-4 years, or even longer. Then procurement and purchasing of materials, construction where We have material eng, welding eng, mechanical eng, civil/structural/construction eng. And it goes on and on...this is strictly for E&P ie exploration and production coys, mostly IOCs.

I agree with ur last sentence.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by nanhilicious(f): 9:42am On Jul 21, 2014
lhanrytosh: keep it up
Sure!!!
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by kingmekus(m): 9:56am On Jul 21, 2014
alentyno:
Geologists in Oil nd gas coys like total chevron and d likes earn btw 200-250k monthly @entry levels
make una dey dere dey jons unaself!!!do you think 2 get appointment with these chevron and co na beans!!if u see better work no do am sit down dey wait for chevron e go over u!!
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Shine1177: 10:15am On Jul 21, 2014
alentyno:
Journalists –– editors to be precise –– with five to 10 years experience and they offer between N40,000 and N60,000 per month.
Please is this information correct? If an editor with 10 yrs experience earn NGN 60,000 what will a reporter or camera man with a family earn per month? If their situation is as bad as you posit little wonder why most journalist practice "brown envelope journalism" to write crap.

#IRepElectEngr.

1 Like

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by ezet(m): 10:28am On Jul 21, 2014
[quote author=alentyno]
So geologists are now more important than pet engineers?......you are funny[/quote

Geoscientists explore reservoirs while Engineers (pet) exploit. They work 2geda.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by ABEngine(m): 10:48am On Jul 21, 2014
Lool, that's is the main reason "Professional" remains in quote in their particular case.
[quote author=alentyno]
Well I don't think politics is a professional. Even if it was it wouldn't be naija of all places.... Politics in this country is more like a game (a dirty one if u ask me)[/quote
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by ayusco85(m): 11:02am On Jul 21, 2014
Syenite:

I am a Geologist with a major E&P company. Both engineers and geologists on same level receive similar basic salaries. There is what is called field allowance that varies according to location (either Onshore or offshore) of which offshore is usually higher. At month end what separates what u earn from dat of ur colleagues is how many days u spent at d field for dat month and whether it was onshore or offshore. And of course u know dat both geologists and engineers go to d field.

i knew u were a geologist from ur monicker.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 21, 2014
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Insanity(m): 12:42pm On Jul 21, 2014
babestell:

The work of the Geologist and petroleum Engr is never done. Even during the operate phase of the field life cycle, they are heavily involved with the field and facilities management. Even during abandonment and restoration, there is always need for their input

Yeah, thanks for reminding me. In essence, I was just trying to illustrate that its all about team work and interface between all the disciplines. Thank you. Take care.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Insanity(m): 12:46pm On Jul 21, 2014
Olutola88: Sir, you didn't follow the thread with enough care and patience. You are giving me the advice I gave earlier grin READ MY EARLIER COMMENTS.

Okay, I understand. Sorry if I mis-understood you earlier. Take care.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Eefhay: 1:22pm On Jul 21, 2014
You seem to have lost the relativity when you singled out oil companies as yard stick to measure values of engineers. How much do federal and state governments pay Engineers as compared to medical workers in the same establishment. How much do oil companies pay medical doctors. at least in any teaching hospital, you have almost all professionals be it engineers, accountant etc.. and in oil companies also, they have medical workers... Its when you compare based on establishments you tend to define lucrative.

2 Likes

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 21, 2014
you guys are biarse placing emphasis only on sciences and engineering what about those in other fields angry
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by ejihand1(m): 1:47pm On Jul 21, 2014
Samgreguc:
I dont get u
i mean you mentioned doctors,nurses and pharmacy and you didn't say anything about medical laboratory science. From your suggestions so far , you kept on giving biochemist and microbiologist a false hope that they will work in clinical laboratory. Your facts are not right at all.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by quadripounds: 1:52pm On Jul 21, 2014
alentyno:
If u r a math grad with a tight gpa like 1st class or strong 2.1( 4.0 and above), you could go places!..... From banks to auditing firms to oils coys to infact anywhere.......my cousin a math grad(finished with 4.42 cgpa) is already in dangote.....he spent only few weeks @ home after his NYSC and boy although I don't know his actual pay package but what I can say is that guy is in money.......his company even sponsored him nd his colleagues to india recently

Cutiedave, I am happy for your bro. I recently passed all my interview stages with Dangote Flour Mills and will be going to negotiate my salary with them later this week, but I don't have any insider information as heads up for the negotiation. Is there a way you can help link me with your cousin? I have even asked about Dangote salary on Nairaland but no response. Is this possible? If he needs evidence to prove authenticity of my claim, I can provide.

Expecting your response. Thanks.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by infolekan(m): 2:00pm On Jul 21, 2014
Eefhay: You seem to have lost the relativity when you singled out oil companies as yard stick to measure values of engineers. How much do federal and state governments pay Engineers as compared to medical workers in the same establishment. How much do oil companies pay medical doctors. at least in any teaching hospital, you have almost all professionals be it engineers, accountant etc.. and in oil companies also, they have medical workers... Its when you compare based on establishments you tend to define lucrative.

The op tried. But he forgot to post the salary of Doctors and Nurses and Pharmacists and other health professionals in those companies.
You can't be comparing private companies to government establishments.
What percentages of graduate engineers work in those companies?
Ask how much a single lawyer earns or a judge and you'll be blown off.. but what percentage of the lawyers become SANS and Judges?
The average health professional is working and well paid.....in Govt settings at least.
Ask the Engineers and the Geologist.
Let them tell you how many are in the banks....and how many are in the classrooms and how many are presently jobless lost in the humdrum of job seeking.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

Human Resource Professionals: / Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! / Salary In The Nigerian Army?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.