Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,995 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming (37674 Views)

EXCLUSIVE: OLX Nigeria Reacts To Missing 3 Oyekoya Kids / 4 Ways To Identify "SCAMMERS" On Most Online Market Platform Like OLX Nigeria / OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Benop: 4:22pm On Jul 19, 2014
Good day pals.

I saw the advert on TV mid last year on the online platform OLX and decided to have a look at it. I got to even download the mobile app on my phone, was interested in buying a car and on opening that section I was amazed on the cheap rates they put the cars for sale.

I got involved with one of the dealers who said he was selling Nigerian Customs auctioned cars.

To cut the story short, I ended up being scamed and many are still being scammed today. embarassed

Is there any hope of recovering the money?

Can these scammers be stopped from ripping the general public?

Do OLX managers know every user of their site and are they aware of this?

I will appreciate your kind responses please!!!

17 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jul 19, 2014
We've discussed about the fraudulent nature of OLX.COM in this thread:https://www.nairaland.com/1803049/nigeria-olx-full-fraudsters-beware
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by bedfordng(m): 7:26pm On Jul 19, 2014
olx is an online platform where buyers and sellers meet.olx made it clear that you should meet the seller in person to discuss before making payment.90 percent of sellers on olx may be scammers but you have to be wise when dealing with any of them.the latest scam is using nigeria custom which makes so many beginners to fall for it.

48 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Koolmexxi(m): 12:05am On Jul 20, 2014
Bros anyone on any social networking site who tells u he's a customs officer/agent is a scam simply. I really do wonder how and why people still fall for dat line.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by jayseehe(m): 5:50am On Jul 20, 2014
I sell on OLX and I don't scam.

my ads are relatively cheaper on OLX because of the competition there...
it's higher on other sites with less competition

it is not just OLX, people are being scammed here (Nairaland) too

being scammed depends on you, why should you send money to someone without getting and testing the goods?
what happened to local pickup or pay on delivery?

FYI, I have seen situations where sellers are scammed by buyers on OLX, after delivery of the goods, the buyer will refuse to pay...

OP, don't spoil the reputation of that site, because of some people's gullibility.... I need the site so much, I buy and sell there

if you are afraid of being scammed, try Kaymu.com.ng kaymu offers escrow service
pay via kaymu SafePay, that way, the seller won't receive the money until the goods have been delivered to you and you are satisfied with it.

by the way, you can purchase from my online store @ kaymu....
use SafePay and pay with your debit(ATM) card
http://www.kaymu.com.ng/seller/don-juan/

Google Kaymu SafePay to know more about it...
you can call it Nigerian EBay version

41 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Nobody: 5:52am On Jul 20, 2014
Don't blame olx, blame your greedy black heart

30 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by datguru: 5:52am On Jul 20, 2014
That is one of the problem with Nigeria , we are always trying to adapt to trends we can not be able to manage effectively just because we see it amongst the white men. Though scams are there too but it's managed but in Nigeria it's a whole lot of crap

2 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by LyfeJennings(m): 5:53am On Jul 20, 2014
I dey top ten to comment
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by johnstar(m): 5:55am On Jul 20, 2014
I go blame d buyers, bcus d kind mowt watering ads wey dm go put der go 2 hard 2 ignore, lolz...... I see ' brand new iphone 5s for 40k', omg... tnk GoD say I knw dey buy phone der ooo grin shocked

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by freshness2020: 5:55am On Jul 20, 2014
Nothing good comes cheap. Not from a country like ours.
Nigeria ; Good people, Great nation!

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by justi4jesu(f): 5:56am On Jul 20, 2014
shine your eyes and dont be greedy too else you will fall for their scamgrin

3 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Kunzu(m): 5:56am On Jul 20, 2014
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Project400: 5:57am On Jul 20, 2014
That's bad!
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by koreat(m): 5:57am On Jul 20, 2014
Olx don't market goods....it's kinda a place were you buy from individuals grin

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by lurge(m): 5:58am On Jul 20, 2014
For any online platform the tendency of scam is 50-50. I've successfully used OLX to sell and had satisfied buyers. The security checks on the site is very poor that is why pay on delivery is always advised to avoid issues like this. If you must buy something that expensive online, use a site with better security features n escrow payment system. My thoughts.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by njoku10(m): 5:58am On Jul 20, 2014
dont vex my guy, na so naija be
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by tyson99(m): 5:58am On Jul 20, 2014
All of una just dey chop OLX lotto format....dem go soon contact you for second billing.be wise!!!!gringrin

2 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by ojuafact: 5:59am On Jul 20, 2014
i neva trusted all these naija online shopping. Like jumia, konga, olx e.t.c

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by ceejay80s(m): 5:59am On Jul 20, 2014
I no even fit pay into my papa acct for item or good wey i no see, talk less of unknomn person, P.O.D pay on delivery only

17 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Olawalesadiq(m): 6:00am On Jul 20, 2014
Just be careful when u wanna hav a deal online bcoz no everybody want to wrk again

FRONT PAGE FOR LIVE
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Nobody: 6:01am On Jul 20, 2014
when u see 2006 suv for 400k, do u need Jesus to tell u that u have entered one chance? undecided undecided undecided

61 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Nobody: 6:02am On Jul 20, 2014
Nigerian eBay ish cheesy

It is gonna be populated by scammers for sure.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by justi4jesu(f): 6:03am On Jul 20, 2014
ARES: when u see 2006 suv for 400k, do u need Jesus to tell u that u have entered one chance? undecided undecided undecided

Some persons are willing to buy it for 100k, you never see anything.

They dont know that is how the scammers lure you to them because you don see cheap thing u wan rush pay.

Be wise
undecided

10 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Hangard: 6:03am On Jul 20, 2014
I think OLX should try and adopt the use of Escrow services, to eliminate the process of sellers scamming buyers on the site. The system of buyers and sellers meeting each other is cumbersome.

2 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by LMAyedun(m): 6:05am On Jul 20, 2014
shachris: Don't blame olx, blame your greedy black heart
U harsh oOh!
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Swiftboy(m): 6:05am On Jul 20, 2014
Booked grin
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by stunningjudy(f): 6:11am On Jul 20, 2014
ARES: when u see 2006 suv for 400k, do u need Jesus to tell u that u have entered one chance? undecided undecided undecided
U got me laughing. The problem with people that get scammed is greed. There are things that are unusually cheap there, if u see such either u meet with the buyer in person or waka pass.

2 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by VIPERVENOM(m): 6:11am On Jul 20, 2014
I got involved with one of the dealers
who said he was selling Nigerian
Customs auctioned cars.
this is a total scam which has become popular ova the net. You even see it on facebook or goal.com. You shouldn't have fallen for this. Remember "if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is"

3 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Swiftboy(m): 6:16am On Jul 20, 2014
Since day one I knew OLX has failed already when the only security feature they can provide is seller meet buyer.I have always fear a situation where either the buyer or the seller will end the transaction in robbing the other. .lol grin
Hangard: I think OLX should try and adopt the use of Escrow services, to eliminate the process of sellers scamming buyers on the site. The system of buyers and sellers meeting each other is cumbersome.

3 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by technophile(m): 6:16am On Jul 20, 2014
I don't Know what is wrong with Nigerians, Every opportunity they see like this the use it to scam. I can assure you that 90% of those buying/selling at OLX are scammers. Imagine a laptop worth over 200,000 will be sold for 70k and some fools too will still fall for it.

I wonder if there have been any successful transaction at OLX.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by bashydemy(m): 6:21am On Jul 20, 2014
Alot of of them have try that shit on me but them no go fit see draw self cos i aint selfish to buy what i know the actual rate cheaper.. Someone ask me to pay 2k to his account before i come to see a Dog i want to buy... I just laugh and request for his account number.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Swiftboy(m): 6:22am On Jul 20, 2014
Am so sure I cant use OLX for the fear of being rubbed by my customer. What if the other guy collect it on gun point? That buyer meet seller thing is a total flaw true. A selling site should protect users from possible fraud as much as possible.
stunningjudy:
U got me laughing. The problem with people that get scammed is greed. There are things that are unusually cheap there, if u see such either u meet with the buyer in person or waka pass.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

This One No Be Money: Fuel Reseller Rejects 100 Dollar Bill Given To Him (Video) / Best Method To Send Money Abroad (US)? / Free Tutorials- Sewing Businesses!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.