Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:18 AM

OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming (37673 Views)

EXCLUSIVE: OLX Nigeria Reacts To Missing 3 Oyekoya Kids / 4 Ways To Identify "SCAMMERS" On Most Online Market Platform Like OLX Nigeria / OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by enigmang: 7:58am On Jul 20, 2014
Okuda:

You see its not even about trying to adapt something western..there are underlying foundations that made things work abroad and thats why its very easy to manage alot of things..first of all i think every nigerian should have a social security number..this is the first step in putting alot of crap in order in this country

Is not unique to Nigeria.....
Australian woman pays £900 for two REAL Apples after trying to buy a pair of iPhones on Gumtree website

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2382599/Woman-pays-900-2-apples-instead-iPhones-Gumtree.html#ixzz37zPWgy8o
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by justi4jesu(f): 7:58am On Jul 20, 2014
culcid: Sincerely, the owners of OLX.com need to sieve out most of the scammers there. They reduce the prices of products to unimaginable cheap rate, making it hard for real sellers to be able to sale theirs. To avoid being scammed, ensure you are dealing with someone in the same location as you, also see, touch and ascertain the genuineness of the stuff you intend buying in an open place before making any payment. My only problem is the money I waste on airtime talking to these hopeless and god forsaken scammers.

grin sorry for your airtime....it just boils down to being careful.

I have sold items i advertised on Olx to people i have never met before and now they are my everyday customers.

Not everyone on olx are scammers but the few ones are really spoiling the thingy.

We still have genuine people with conscience.

Buy you Sim slot that works with BIS Blackberry Playbook and pay on delivery from Kaymu

http://www.kaymu.com.ng/blackberry-playbook-4g-32gb-110718.html/
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by mohims(m): 7:59am On Jul 20, 2014
Benop: Good day pals.

I saw the advert on TV mid last year on the online platform OLX and decided to have a look at it. I got to even download the mobile app on my phone, was interested in buying a car and on opening that section I was amazed on the cheap rates they put the cars for sale.

I got involved with one of the dealers who said he was selling Nigerian Customs auctioned cars.

To cut the story short, I ended up being scamed and many are still being scammed today. embarassed

Is there any hope of recovering the money?

Can these scammers be stopped from ripping the general public?

Do OLX managers know every user of their site and are they aware of this?

I will appreciate your kind responses please!!!
Contact me on 08140318825. I will tell u what to do. U will recover ur money God's willing!
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by kolanutt: 8:01am On Jul 20, 2014
OLX is just a market-place. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Many goodies on offer, several scammers at play. Na ur eye u go sharpen
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by brownsoldier(m): 8:03am On Jul 20, 2014
ARES: when u see 2006 suv for 400k, do u need Jesus to tell u that u have entered one chance? undecided undecided undecided
Guy u had me laughing hard this morning, real hard grin. I saw a 2011 Mercedes Benz going for 1.2M I was getting real happy and thought of calling till I saw the same vehicle on another site with d actual price of bout 3.5M. I just shook my head. Araha dey make people throway logic. But I have transacted safely on OLX though
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by BJ4REEL(m): 8:10am On Jul 20, 2014
blame your greed!
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by azpekuliar: 8:11am On Jul 20, 2014
My grouse with OLX is the poor scrutiny on the ad listings on their site. It's a shame, despite the huge advertising budget they boast (compared to Tradestable), they do such a terrible job of vetting ads before they are posted. I think due to agressive advertising they've grown faster than they can effectively cope with. It's very assaulting to the senses to see, 90% of the ads in any particular section are obvious scams and yet they still get listed mulitple times an hour! Tradestable does a far better job of policing and ascertaining the genuineness of their ads. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, OLX could take a cue from them.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Okuda(m): 8:17am On Jul 20, 2014
enigmang:

It was not phyiscal scamming. Anybody can do that to you anywhere..but its minimal abraod because of measures put in place to track people.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by autonomy: 8:25am On Jul 20, 2014
OLX is the most useless website I have known,I see no reason why they can checkmate the activities of their members,in a situation where someone is selling a car that worth #1million naira for #300.0000,those kind of ads should be deleted automatically.it seems the website is more interested in the traffic that comes to their website rather protecting the image,and protecting nigerians from being scam.they have spent so much on radio,television and mobile advert but its so unfortunate that in every ten ads you see on their website,9 of it is a scam.
We are aware that their scammers on nairaland,one can easily report any suspected ads.
OLX naija don loose focus

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Jacqueline88(f): 8:25am On Jul 20, 2014

I saw the advert on TV mid last year on the online platform OLX and decided to have a look at it. I got to even download the mobile app on my phone, was interested in buying a car and on opening that section I was amazed on the cheap rates they put the cars for sale.

I got involved with one of the dealers who said he was selling Nigerian Customs auctioned cars.

To cut the story short, I ended up being scamed and many are still being scammed today. embarassed

SHM.. about the same time I got scammed by one custom officer of 33,000 I paid for a bb playbook..it still hurts ..learned my bitter lesson dat day! Never again, its payment on delivery or notin!!
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by warrenweste(m): 8:26am On Jul 20, 2014
technophile: I don't Know what is wrong with Nigerians, Every opportunity they see like this the use it to scam. I can assure you that 90% of those buying/selling at OLX are scammers. Imagine a laptop worth over 200,000 will be sold for 70k and some fools too will still fall for it.

I wonder if there have been any successful transaction at OLX.

well there has been many many successful transaction and have sold soo many things on olx infact have been selling on it since 2012 January or so so its nt all sellers that are scammers
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Onwe101(m): 8:31am On Jul 20, 2014
Av sold 5 of my phones on olx..this is the fact...call me and we discus price and how to MEET....after meetin in a SAFE place check it PAY me TAKE d goods and go....any procedure apart from dis stay clear...and avoid adds from zones like apapa and badagry na there stammers full pass
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by ibdeals1(m): 8:35am On Jul 20, 2014
enigmang:

grin grin grin grin OMG 2 Real apples instead of real Iphone? lmao
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by McMayor(m): 8:38am On Jul 20, 2014
I laugh when i came across this topic.... I remember when i was trying to buy an Iphone5s on OLX and funny enough i contacted about 15 sellers and they are all scammers... The first thing that i would wait for is send part payment and i will just press RED BUTTON on my phone. Stick to the idea of cash on delivery. I bought an Iphone5c from a guy(Ty207) on Nairaland yesterday i wasnt even in lagos but i asked him to contact my friend who they met together and did the deal with no problem... I think some Nigerians will always remain a fool forever. Sorry bro that you were scammed i am sure you must have learnt your lessons now. May God bless you abundantly and you can forget your loss.

2 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Nobody: 8:43am On Jul 20, 2014
This reminds me of a woman that was scammed on gumtree, she paid for iphones and got a pack of delicious apples. My neighbour bought a sagem phone and saw fufu inside. Read about the two stories here and know how to prevent yourself from being scammed www.weselion.com/online-classified-ad-scam-stories-and

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Belexy(m): 8:46am On Jul 20, 2014

OLX is a good site and alot of legitimate deals go on there.
Ur greed and lack of vigilance got u scammed. And i am sure dat u will still get scammed in future if u dnt wisen up. How will the Nigerian Customs advertise a car for sale on olx? Wen u see somtin dats way to cheap, its either stolen or faulty. The person must av told u dat he will by-pass some procedures so dat u will get d car and u fell for it.

2 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by akpanikpe(m): 8:47am On Jul 20, 2014
Koolmexxi: Bros anyone on any social networking site who tells u he's a customs officer/agent is a scam simply. I really do wonder how and why people still fall for dat line.
I still wonder too. Customs don't auction cars/goods online, I av manage to rescue few of my friends from the scam thou, the latest was ist last week a friend from warri hav to come all the way to seme border with Cash of approximately 400k intended to make a payment for 2008 Toyota highlander, but he is lucky enough to check on me in the office to direct him the location of the bank.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Belexy(m): 8:50am On Jul 20, 2014
Jacqueline88: SHM.. about the same time I got scammed by one custom officer of 33,000 I paid for a bb playbook..it still hurts ..learned my bitter lesson dat day! Never again, its payment on delivery or notin!!

. . .and u paid for it before u got d playbook... Mehn pple dnt tink oh..... Haba.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by cocoduck: 8:54am On Jul 20, 2014
When you are a victim of scam blame yourself. it boils down to greed and the inability to do your home work
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by cocoduck: 8:55am On Jul 20, 2014
akpanikpe:
I still wonder too. Customs don't auction cars/goods online, I av manage to rescue few of my friends from the scam thou, the latest was ist last week a friend from warri hav to come all the way to seme border with Cash of approximately 400k intended to make a payment for 2008 Toyota highlander, but he is lucky enough to check on me in the office to direct him the location of the bank.
Greed and nothing else

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by abatically(m): 9:00am On Jul 20, 2014
shachris: Don't blame olx, blame your greedy black heart

Blame the greedy buyers. How can someone believe a 2012 toyota vensa could be sold for 550,000 naira. Only a greedy fellow would fall for that. I mean they tyres alone are worth almost half of that price. To clear that car from the port is almost twice the stated price, so who on earth would sell for 550k? And whoever thinks custom officers will place advert online other than their website or national TV should have his brain checked.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by legacyint: 9:00am On Jul 20, 2014
The possibility of finding a geniune seller on olx is relatively low,I was once a victim of scammers,I met dis guy who was willing to sell his htc oneX for 33k he live in abuja while I live in benin,,after much negotiations I decides to deposit d money in his account,,but I never got d phone.I learnt my lesson d hard way.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Belexy(m): 9:02am On Jul 20, 2014
legacyint: The possibility of finding a geniune seller on olx is relatively low,I was once a victim of scammers,I met dis guy who was willing to sell his htc oneX for 33k he live in abuja while I live in benin,,after much negotiations I decides to deposit d money in his account,,but I never got d phone.I learnt my lesson d hard way.

Who is to blame grin
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by olanshi: 9:04am On Jul 20, 2014
@ OP..

Na your type they price cars that usually sells around 2m naira for 600K... So you are very greedy and gullible.. Sorry for your lose, more on..

My people say, "All day for the thief but one day for the owner"

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Belexy(m): 9:04am On Jul 20, 2014
acorntree: even when you meeting in public you still to be very careful. There was a time I want to sell my BB on olx and a buyer call to meet me. We agreed to meet at a place . when I got there I discovered he came with a bike. He got up from the bike and we started talking, while he was busy checking the phone , one thing I notice about him as I was talking was that he gave eye signal to the other person on the bike. So I've to move closer to bike. I know his motive is to run away with the phone. He gave an excuse that the phone is expensive and he can't buy it again. So both seller and buyer are at risk when making through olx

Almost got robbed too. I made sure we met in a public place and the guy dat wanted to buy my fone told me the money on him wasnt enough and we shd go to a particular place to get d money undecided. Alarm bells started ringing in my head... I politely refused and told him dat he should bring the complete money the following day

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Hardetayour: 9:07am On Jul 20, 2014
ojuafact: i neva trusted all these naija online shopping. Like jumia, konga, olx e.t.c
Don't generalise please. My elder brother is Konga's number 1 fan and he orders almost everything we have at home from there and everything was in perfect condition, even brand new laptops. There was an instant he bought a shoe but it was oversize, he called then and complained. They told him to drop it at their 'points', he did and he got the delivery of the right size in just 2 days
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Nobody: 9:08am On Jul 20, 2014
buy and sell here

http://www.makeisell.com
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by justi4jesu(f): 9:09am On Jul 20, 2014
Everybody here has one scam experience or the other.....Abeg so now who are the scammers make we know oh.. angry grin grin
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 20, 2014

Dude, it's a classified website so transact at your own risk. But then the saying is real I.e someone and his money are soon parted.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Nobody: 9:14am On Jul 20, 2014
AdelokikiMr: Have sold a lot on OLX and also Bought laptop once there but sincerely its kinda risk when you doIng business on that site because nobody knows d intention of the other party ,anyway I would say only d thiefs,greedy ones get scammed cause I can't imagine wanting to buy dog (Rott) of 120k as puppy for like 60k to 80k on olx when e nor go steal am...Brov if u see any Goods with unimaginable cheap price change direction or pay D consequences shikenah
It's not always the case, some sellers do sell their properties at dirt cheap price. It's for the buyer to mitigate his own risk.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by smajatt(m): 9:17am On Jul 20, 2014
i see no reason why you should condem the site. Olx is just a platform for buyers and sellers to meet. Check their rules and regulation.
Moreso i sell on olx infact most of my customers are from olx,all i do is comunicate with the buyer then tell him to meet me and i take him to my shop. When i din't have a shop then i made sure i took the buyer to a point or place where he or she could always contact me incase of anything.

Safe tips
never deal with a seller out of your travel zone. Preferably let the seller be in the same location as you are.

Whenever buying always ensure the seller takes you to a permanent contact place,preferably a shop,office,church,mosque etc.. Just make sure anywhere he claims is his contact address you ask atleast 3 people there if they know him,or do see him around from time to time. Ask from 3 random persons,don't let him be the one to ask,you should be the one to ask.

Always conduct your transactions in open space,never indoor.

Never pay cash.pay by bank so as to get the full details of the seller,infact go to the bank with him or her and explain your predicament with the bank,honestly they will readily help. 'a guy actually did this to me when he wanted to buy a laptop from me,he insisted we go to bank and he pays me by bank,no hard cash,it was access bank.

All in all no matter how careful we are there are still smart scammers out there,so don't be too greedy,thats what they feed on to get anyone.x

4 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by naptu2: 9:18am On Jul 20, 2014
The Nigerian Customs Service ran a public enlightenment campaign last year to educate the public that they DO NOT AUCTION CARS ONLINE.

Customs Exposes Auction Scammers
http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/08/15/customs-exposes-auction-scammers/

Some of the scammers were also exposed and arrested in a sting operation by Saturday Punch.

Caught in the act: Saturday Punch sting operation nets fake Customs auctioneer
http://www.punchng.com/feature/saturday-people/customs-officer-duped-me-says-man-who-wanted-to-give-mum-a-car-gift/

And nairaland has also done a public enlightenment campaign to educate nairalanders about these fraudsters.

Nigerian Customs Do Not Auction Cars Online: Beware of FRAUD!
https://www.nairaland.com/1293073/nigerian-customs-not-auction-cars

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

This One No Be Money: Fuel Reseller Rejects 100 Dollar Bill Given To Him (Video) / Best Method To Send Money Abroad (US)? / Free Tutorials- Sewing Businesses!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.