Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,001 members, 7,806,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:55 AM

OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming (37672 Views)

EXCLUSIVE: OLX Nigeria Reacts To Missing 3 Oyekoya Kids / 4 Ways To Identify "SCAMMERS" On Most Online Market Platform Like OLX Nigeria / OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by bedfordng(m): 2:13pm On Jul 21, 2014
If you see a product on olx and its cheaper than used one in the market,call the seller and if he or she tells you it is auction or a custom officer, run for your life. if you call a seller and he said you should meet in a roadside bush or corner, run for your life. if a seller asked you to pay into his account as part payment,run for your life. If you see a product you like and the location is far from yours,maybe another state, asked some to to check it out for you and do thourogh inspection else,you are on your own. if you call a seller and he or she respond to your questions longer than expected, then something is fishy.i dey hear say even ashawo don dey advertise something on olx.shine your eye wella.

3 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by kheart(m): 2:43pm On Jul 21, 2014
LG L7 smartphone for sale.
Specs. 4gb internal storage, 5Mp camera, android 4.0.3 etc

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by ejike68: 2:44pm On Jul 21, 2014
OLX is not in any way to be held responsible for anybody getting scammed.It is clearly stated in the terms of use policy.Before you part with your money,use your head.People get scammed offline even when they have physically inspected the items they want to purchase not to talk of online where anonymity gives people the leverage to do all kinds of things.People still and will continue to make cool and successful transactions on OLX.Nobody should allow GREED to get the better part of him/her.Be warned!
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by kheart(m): 2:46pm On Jul 21, 2014
Samsung galaxy tab
interested buyers only (07039037490)

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by ewizard1: 2:49pm On Jul 21, 2014
There is a "FLAG AS SCAM" button on OLX... Lets try use that feature for the bastard scammers.

I posted my HP Compaq CQ57 for Sale on OLX early this morning. Only for me to log in now to see if my AD is still Live. I found a scammer's post using my Pictures and selling for 30K, my AD was at 57K. I even called the bastard and asked if the picture he posted is the real PC and he said yes. I told him straight away that he's a thief/scammer that the person talking to him is the real owner of the ad he used the pictures.

I already flagged his ad as scam!!!

My ad:
http://surulere-lagos./hp-compaq-cq57-clean-dualcore-500gb-hd-4gb-ram-wifi-bluetooth-webcam-etc-laptop-iid-680101757

Scammer's ad:
http://lagos-island-west./hp-compaq-cq57-clean-dualcore-500gb-hd-4gb-ram-wifi-bluetooth-webcam-etc-laptop-iid-680152926

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by azpekuliar: 4:16pm On Jul 21, 2014
OLX admin seems to have seen this thread. A quick visit to the Motorcycle and Game console sections show both have been cleared of fake ads. Hope they keep the site clean.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by aniyphil: 5:32pm On Jul 21, 2014
ewizard1: There is a "FLAG AS SCAM" button on OLX... Lets try use that feature for the bastard scammers.

I posted my HP Compaq CQ57 for Sale on OLX early this morning. Only for me to log in now to see if my AD is still Live. I found a scammer's post using my Pictures and selling for 30K, my AD was at 57K. I even called the bastard and asked if the picture he posted is the real PC and he said yes. I told him straight away that he's a thief/scammer that the person talking to him is the real owner of the ad he used the pictures.

My ad:
http://surulere-lagos./hp-compaq-cq57-clean-dualcore-500gb-hd-4gb-ram-wifi-bluetooth-webcam-etc-laptop-iid-680101757

Scammer's ad:
http://lagos-island-west./hp-compaq-cq57-clean-dualcore-500gb-hd-4gb-ram-wifi-bluetooth-webcam-etc-laptop-iid-680152926

You are correct, any fraudulent ad can be flagged but the sad part is that it takes more than one flag to remove such ads . . .others will also have to flag it before it can be removed . . .but it has worked for me a couple of times though . . .so let's start flagging to get those eediots out of OLX . . .it is quite easy....just log in and check out ads with unrealistic price tags (2006 Tokunbo Toyota Camry for N500k) when you can't even get a clean Naija used Tiny Lite for that price . . ."SCAM" . . .just flag it !
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by coolsegun2002: 5:33pm On Jul 21, 2014
Are all the scammers living around lagos island west...cos anytime I see those scam adverts 90% is usually from there ...I think lagos island west is anoder fraud identifying point on olx.....lol
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by kheart(m): 6:04pm On Jul 21, 2014
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by biz2get(m): 6:50pm On Jul 21, 2014
ewizard1: There is a "FLAG AS SCAM" button on OLX... Lets try use that feature for the bastard scammers.

My ad:

Scammer's ad:

Oloshi angry
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by McMayor(m): 7:11am On Jul 22, 2014
coolsegun2002: Are all the scammers living around lagos island west...cos anytime I see those scam adverts 90% is usually from there ...I think lagos island west is anoder fraud identifying point on olx.....lol

Actually if you look at it.. Most people are staying on the mainland and they believe you wont be able to come and check the item out so they would say that so you could pay half of the money and that they would bring it for you.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by McMayor(m): 7:12am On Jul 22, 2014
aniyphil:

You are correct, any fraudulent ad can be flagged but the sad part is that it takes more than one flag to remove such ads . . .others will also have to flag it before it can be removed . . .but it has worked for me a couple of times though . . .so let's start flagging to get those eediots out of OLX . . .it is quite easy....just log in and check out ads with unrealistic price tags (2006 Tokunbo Toyota Camry for N500k) when you can't even get a clean Naija used Tiny Lite for that price . . ."SCAM" . . .just flag it !

Hmmmm we should al be flagging it.... Nice one bro.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by faamo419: 8:58am On Jul 22, 2014
Benop: Good day pals.

I saw the advert on TV mid last year on the online platform OLX and decided to have a look at it. I got to even download the mobile app on my phone, was interested in buying a car and on opening that section I was amazed on the cheap rates they put the cars for sale.

I got involved with one of the dealers who said he was selling Nigerian Customs auctioned cars.

To cut the story short, I ended up being scamed and many are still being scammed today. embarassed

Is there any hope of recovering the money?

Can these scammers be stopped from ripping the general public?

Do OLX managers know every user of their site and are they aware of this?

I will appreciate your kind responses please!!!

OH what a pity .. Next if u want to buy anything make sure u see what u want to buy first and know there office .. And pls don't carry cash to them.. And tell them u are coming with a solider your friend .. Just be smart.. They want to scam me 2 but me self be confirm 419 so u can't scam mee the guy told me that if I want to buy a phone advertise on olx by him I will pay half payment .. Pls I beg u don't send any half paymeent to anybody.. Little advise
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by faamo419: 9:02am On Jul 22, 2014
Oh what a pity .. Next if u want to buy anything make sure u see what u want to buy first and know there office .. And pls don't carry cash to them.. And tell them u are coming with a solider your friend .. Just be smart.. They want to scam me 2 but me self be confirm 419 so u can't scam mee the guy told me that if I want to buy a phone advertise on olx by him I will pay half payment .. Pls I beg u don't send any half paymeent to anybody.. Little advise
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by expert101(m): 9:24pm On Jul 23, 2014
if you get scammed again on Olx then you are dumb!
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by waloma(m): 5:58pm On Jul 27, 2014
jayseehe:
are you on WhatsApp?
so we could chat
Yap, 08033225131
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by tlopez82: 12:43pm On Aug 05, 2014
U SEE TOYOYA CAMRY ( BIG FOOL) FOR 400K AND U QUICKLY SEND MONEY, GUY/BABE, U BE TYPICAL 'BIG FOOL'........U JUST TRIED BUYING URSELF!
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by TellBlazer(m): 6:15pm On Aug 05, 2014
ARES: when u see 2006 suv for 400k, do u need Jesus to tell u that u have entered one chance? undecided undecided undecided
My broda I don't agree with you why because the saler might be in urgent need of money and decied to redues the money in other to attract customers fast.Is now left for you to inspect,text drive with your mechanic,check the orginal document of purchase and other things b4 making payment,eg I have a landed property online for sale that is worth 15million naira but am saleing it for 5 million.So shut the crap.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by okewumi: 1:00pm On Nov 11, 2014
Hmmm. Meet me at Badagi or Apapa, na scammers
My name is Pastor Chibork, na scammers
Let us go to ATM together, na scammers
Pls you can not go with me to pay the money at bank, na scammer

How on earth will you see Camry 2009 for #400,000, Awuf they purge bele oo

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by INCREDIBLEGUY: 9:54am On Feb 27, 2015
grin MEN DIS THREAD SWEET NOR BE SMALL
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by minimann: 8:07pm On Oct 07, 2015
i've been selling cars on olx, nairaland, and cheki since 2013. I've heard clueless people claim that over 90 percent of "sellers" on these sites are scammers. The truth is most nigerians lack "common sense". These "scammers" prey on this fact. It beats my imagination that a full grown man would pay money to an account for an item he only saw online with absolutely no guarantee that the item would be delivered. There wouldnt have been prostitution if men werent interested. There wouldnt have been scammers if there were no fools! We shouldnt be talking about scammers, we should address our greed and headlessness!
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Debesther: 12:59am On Oct 08, 2015
Guys please if OLX is where buyers and sellers meet and transact business?
Then how do OLX as a business make their money.
Every body should comment to help me cus am researching on HOW ONLINE STORES AND ECOMMERCE makes their money and profits.
Thanks
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by ityP(m): 9:41pm On Apr 19, 2016
Jeboy:
you can contact me on tips on buying genuine cars on olx.Through olx I have contact with five agents dat sells car and they re all genuine

Hello, I wanna get a camera... I'm afraid of scammers.... Can you help
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Comanche(f): 4:16pm On Nov 19, 2016
There are actually some honest sellers on the platform.I got my Samsung tab 3 for 23k, New.We met at an eatery in ketu and I opened the box myself.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by MrMcJay(m): 10:06pm On Nov 19, 2016
Through OLX, I have at differnt times bought household furniture, 3 phones and a very nice and clean car. All items were gotten at give-away prices.

The key is to not be greedy, be very vigilant and ensure to inspect it physically thoroughly before paying a kobo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

This One No Be Money: Fuel Reseller Rejects 100 Dollar Bill Given To Him (Video) / Free Tutorials- Sewing Businesses! / Best Method To Send Money Abroad (US)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.